Love playing the game, too old for the population.

TheBBP

So, I still enjoy playing quite a bit. However, the chat in fleet and just about every populated planet is so crass and juvenile that it is a turn-off to be around. Tonight I log into some junior high discussion about panties. No joke. I have gotten to the point where that sort of thing is no longer even remotely humorous.

If I turn off General Chat, I miss out on being able to help newer folks with their questions (helping folks is another fun part of the game for me) or any other legitimate discussion. I don't want to ignore all the folks, because I am sure that they aren't bad folks, I just don't want to be party to their public and juvenile idiocy.

I guess I am not really looking for a solution. Just venting.

Enjoy your night!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The average mmo gamer is still an 18-24 year old guy. That's changing, but not fast enough. On the internet, that's the Douchebag Demographic.

I have no stats to disprove this but I suspect it is off the mark a bit. The first MMOs hit the market around 95-97 and only gamers with money could play them. Those players would be 30+ now. The vast majority of the 18-24 year old guy players are busy swearing at each other on Call of Dorks and Battlefail with the crapbox 360 and station. Again this is my opinion. I think the issue is that the 18-24 year olds are the loudest which makes them seem to be bigger group.

So, I still enjoy playing quite a bit. However, the chat in fleet and just about every populated planet is so crass and juvenile that it is a turn-off to be around. Tonight I log into some junior high discussion about panties. No joke. I have gotten to the point where that sort of thing is no longer even remotely humorous.

If I turn off General Chat, I miss out on being able to help newer folks with their questions (helping folks is another fun part of the game for me) or any other legitimate discussion. I don't want to ignore all the folks, because I am sure that they aren't bad folks, I just don't want to be party to their public and juvenile idiocy.

Enjoy your night!

I just transferred all of my characters to an RP server. There's a little trolling, but it's 1000 times better than Harbinger. The douche-baggery is fast and furious on that server.

I have no stats to disprove this but I suspect it is off the mark a bit. The first MMOs hit the market around 95-97 and only gamers with money could play them. Those players would be 30+ now. The vast majority of the 18-24 year old guy players are busy swearing at each other on Call of Dorks and Battlefail with the crapbox 360 and station. Again this is my opinion. I think the issue is that the 18-24 year olds are the loudest which makes them seem to be bigger group.

You could be right. Older men and female gamers are changing the demographics slowly.

I just transferred all of my characters to an RP server. There's a little trolling, but it's 1000 times better than Harbinger. The douche-baggery is fast and furious on that server.

I am on an RP server. I shudder to consider what is worse.

put those that you don't want to hear on your ignore list. Trust me, your quality of life will go up. After a little while you'll notice chat gets better when you've ignored most of the offenders.

+1

On fleet it can mean your Ignore list goes into overdrive ;) but it is an effective way to blot out the main offenders while spending time on a planet. When I leave a planet I clear those recently added to the ignore list. If I find myself to be typing a name on a regular basis they get the dubious honour of staying on ignore.

It helps clear up general chat and also means I never have to PUG with them, win/win :)

Enjoy your night!

Ignore the people on General Chat, join or form a guild that helps new players :)

But yeah, it's because of typical general chat, that I just turn off general chat.

+1

On fleet it can mean your Ignore list goes into overdrive ;) but it is an effective way to blot out the main offenders while spending time on a planet. When I leave a planet I clear those recently added to the ignore list. If I find myself to be typing a name on a regular basis they get the dubious honour of staying on ignore.

It helps clear up general chat and also means I never have to PUG with them, win/win :)

Oh yeah, the ignore list fills up way too quickly, but I like your approach and will be adopting it immediately. It's too bad the Ignore list is not Legacy-wide.... :rolleyes:

OP, I hear what your saying and I love helping out new players or those in need of assistance and hate having to troll through mindless drivel to find them. I always tend to switch to private messages as soon as I see someone needing help otherwise it's 10 - 20 lines off the chat bubble before you get a response in. But recently I've stopped leaving characters on Fleet and instead just drop in to get what I need from Guild bank or GTN and vamoose to avoid the off-colour comments common to that area.

I'm 15, but I honestly think I am mature. Or can be mature at times, when I need to be. But I don't think your dealing with highschool kids. More middleschoolers now. I know that for a fact cuz a lot of highschool kids r a lot more mature than that. A lot more mature than me, and even I don't find panties funny anymore.

The average mmo gamer is still an 18-24 year old guy. That's changing, but not fast enough. On the internet, that's the Douchebag Demographic.

I read a good quote one time regarding this sort of thing... "Anonymity breads douchebaggery" Fitting.

Really all the internet does is amplify one's true nature. There are a lot of really good folks out there, and some lifelong friends I've met gaming. These folks tend to be a little more quiet and less obnoxious however on general chat.

On a side note, most of my gaming friends are in their late 30's... And I see a good deal of that also, so there's hope.

A bunch of great responses. Thank you folks.

+1

This is a great solution. Thank you.

I'm 15, but I honestly think I am mature. Or can be mature at times, when I need to be. But I don't think your dealing with highschool kids. More middleschoolers now. I know that for a fact cuz a lot of highschool kids r a lot more mature than that. A lot more mature than me, and even I don't find panties funny anymore.

Ironically, you made me LOL with that. Not anything bad about what you said, it just made me laugh lol.

Edited by TheBBP

I am on an RP server. I shudder to consider what is worse.

Roll a toon on Prophecy of the Five, get to the fleet around 7pm EDT Imperial Side and you will be inundated with the most wretched hive of scum and villainy any MMO has ever had transpire in general chat. It's seriously demented, stupid, outlandish, disgusting, juvenile, vulgar, homophobic, heterophobic, if there's a slur you name it, it'll be said. etc etc etc etc etc

so, i still enjoy playing quite a bit. However, the chat in fleet and just about every populated planet is so crass and juvenile that it is a turn-off to be around. Tonight i log into some junior high discussion about panties. No joke. I have gotten to the point where that sort of thing is no longer even remotely humorous.

If i turn off general chat, i miss out on being able to help newer folks with their questions (helping folks is another fun part of the game for me) or any other legitimate discussion. I don't want to ignore all the folks, because i am sure that they aren't bad folks, i just don't want to be party to their public and juvenile idiocy.

I guess i am not really looking for a solution. Just venting.

Enjoy your night!

welcome to the internet! I will be your guide!

Roll a toon on Prophecy of the Five, get to the fleet around 7pm EDT Imperial Side and you will be inundated with the most wretched hive of scum and villainy any MMO has ever had transpire in general chat. It's seriously demented, stupid, outlandish, disgusting, juvenile, vulgar, homophobic, heterophobic, if there's a slur you name it, it'll be said. etc etc etc etc etc

Sounds like I am missing a real party.

Oh I'm pretty certain those idiots haven't been in junior high since '87.

This is just how people act on the internet. Juvenile, childish idiots with foul mouths and no morals.

One of these days, a mad scientist is going to create a lethal pathogen that wipes out humanity for good.

And I will point him to the water supply without a single second thought.

Sounds like 'The Walking Dead'

Enjoy your night!

Join an rp server, the average age seems to be much higher there. Our guild on the progenitor has many players in thier thirties or fourties. I have found that this is always the way in any game with rp servers, it's kind of an unwritten rule. Very little rp happens, just a more mature server /shhh don't tell anyone ;)

Having grown older doesn't = having grown up.

There are players in every age bracket that haven't matured and speak of explicit and vulgar topics.

For example; I know of a player in his 40s who talks about beating his wife (and has even bragged about it before). Now technically any person who has aged beyond 8 years old should know that hitting any woman is a terrible thing to do, no matter the circumstance.

Don't generalise the maturity of the population based on your opinions of their age, because I can honestly say that most 15-24 year olds would tell you that beating a woman is wrong.

Edited by BennyKrak

i`m not against silly chats tbh, coming back from work and wanting to blow off a little steam feels pretty good when you have someone to share some crazy laughs with.

Though i wouldn't go picking on random people making their evening harder.