The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

Three simple words:

DO. YOUR. JOB.

And everyone is happy.

This.

As a healer I would rather keep everyone at 90%+ health by just healing during a fight and then we can all move onto to the next mob ASAP then heal a little and throw out very low (almost useless) DPS and have everyone less than 50% health and have to waste time with everyone healing themselves constantly between fights.

Edited by BlueShiftRecall

Seriously, guys. Do your job.

Healers - healing. Tanks - tanking. And DPS are damaging...

Simple as that.

All of your "healers must DPS too becouse of... reasons" is silly. Really.

Three simple words:

DO. YOUR. JOB.

And everyone is happy.

Someone's never been in NiM Dread Council.

This.

As a healer I would rather keep everyone at 90%+ health by just healing during a fight and then we can all move onto to the next mob ASAP then heal a little and throw out very low (almost useless) DPS and have everyone less than 50% health and have to waste time with everyone healing themselves constantly between fights.

Ok.. Just to give number.. a good healer DPS'ing will do about 45% of the max DPS top DPS classes can get and 65% of the lowest DPS classes. So it isn,t THAT bad. Now in group finder, you can find MANY people who will do even less DPS than a good healer as DPS.... So healer's DPS lokks even better.

Someone's never been in NiM Dread Council.

Hell even NiM Bestia has our healers at ~150k between them (though if everyone's geared you dont need it that high)

Ok.. Just to give number.. a good healer DPS'ing will do about 45% of the max DPS top DPS classes can get and 65% of the lowest DPS classes. So it isn,t THAT bad. Now in group finder, you can find MANY people who will do even less DPS than a good healer as DPS.... So healer's DPS lokks even better.

I dunno about that, DPS is over 50% gear (e.g. my assault VG using tank gear on a dummy does ~1.8k dps, compared to the 4.1k average im currently doing in my dps gear, and tank spec in my DPS gear is ~2k dps) so we can safely assume a healer can do upwards of 67% of the dps of a balance shadow.

Edited by TACeMossie

Burst damage of healers is even better - the limitation largely being energy management. Sages are a bit weak in that department but they can do nice damage over time and have some nice abilities with good energy/damage balance. But my opponents wouldn't know as they prefer to stand and fiddle their thumbs instead of contributing to the team.

This whole debate about whether to DPS or not when queued as a Healer is really interesting but at the end of the day it comes down to the Healer and his group. IF he is able to safely DPS because noone is taking any significant damage, then he should go for it. IF his group is taking significant damage and spending resources/globals on DPS will mean the difference between life and death for a group member, then he shouldn't DPS. It really is that simple.

I've been in groups where the Healer does a great job of Healing and DPSing. They are pretty awesome to see in action and I have the utmost respect for the player that can pull it off.

Unfortunately, I've also been in groups where highly geared Healers believe that they could just DPS and throw out the ocasional heal or HoT and as a consequence of that we woulld end up with people dying every other pull. By the third death I will normally pipe up with a "less DPS more healing". The good ones will acknowledge the request and pay more attention to healing and less to DPSing and all is good for the rest of the run. The bad ones will call the group/me noobs and carry on the way they were and at the next death they face a vote kick for "DPSing and not healing": it always goes through. I (and others) would rather have a companion healing who actually heals than a "healer" who wants to DPS at the group's expense.

I've been the weird one yesterday, in a 55 HM FP run. :o

Queued for some time on my Sorc DPS, queue pops with a Mando Raiders and I see the three with me are all in the same Guild as soon as I zone in. Tank PT at 19k HP, Healer Sorc at double of his HP, other DPS, a Merc at around 23-24k, me at 35k.

The Tank is not tank speeced and undergeared, and the other DPS is maybe a bit undergeared too. Healer more than ok. Tank is respeccing, no way I can know, but for some reason I get an invisible enemies case right away, after we down the few coming from the elevator at start, and I pull the fight behind hte door by mistake. I don't realize right away, unfortunately, and get some verbal beating. Deserved, mind you, but I've become a bit oversensitive to it in the last couple of weeks, having "seen things you people wouldn't believe". :rolleyes:

Then I comment on the lack of Tank, and they get defensive and explain he's respeccing and that he's not top gear, asking me to be patient. A bit harshly, but I have to admit I haven't been exactly overly polite myself, sadly, so no complains on my part... :(

I apologize to them for the harsh treatment I reserved them and explain in the last couple of weeks I saw terrible things in HMs, making a few examples. Tanks not really tank speeced asking me - a DPS Sorc! - to tank in their place. Healers not healer speeced asking me to keep the team up, when I clearly said I don't have field respec and that I know nothing of Sorc healing... DPS not only severely undergeared - lvl 30-40 armor sets at 55, really?! - but unable to put up a rotation, resolving 90% of hte time to use their basic attack... Quite the bad portfolio, I'd say. :eek:

And... Well, this is where things get a bit weird, but in a good way. :p They get extremely tolerant afterwards. Really, I felt moved. We wiped a couple of times here and there, and I had to throw a few offheals around, but... It was nice. No matter what, we kept pushing, and while we went on, with me ripping aggro like crazy due to gear rating difference - and skipping hte bonus boss, no way we could down him with that team composition - I spent a couple of moments to complement the Tank, because even with that gear difference, I only ripped aggro on enemies I could manage, his taunts were extremely keen on what they let move to me.

After hte last boss, I thank them for the run, as I usually do if hte team is a good one, and get their thanks in return. I also apologize again for hte harsh start, and their response is what makes me feel the best. See, the Tank didn't say a word after "hi" for the whole FP. He however took a moment to say that was no matter, because my bit of oversensitivity made sense.

Man, I felt so reassured there! I feared I may have been so bad to push the guy away from Tanking all along, but the three of them were gentle and kind to me afterwards, and the Tank was somehow happy I decided to stay, in the end, as I was. :o

We parted ways with cordial farewells, and they said they'd remember me - not sure if they meant they'd add me ot their Friend Lists - while I told them to keep up the good work, hoping they will gear soon enough while also having fun.

TL;DR: Been a clumsy a**hole, apologized for that, got told it's no matter, had a quite good run with an undergeared Tank in a HM Mando Raiders, possibly got into three good people's Friend List regardless of the bad start. :D

A funny story based on the whole "healer dps is nearly as good as dps dps" (lmao you got to be f-ing kidding)

Got a czerka core meltdown pop with my sorc healer. There was another sorc healer and 2 dps.

We started off with both me and other sorc healing. After the first 2 pulls the other healer asks me if I can dps, they can handle heals themselves. I don't have field respec I therefore stop healing and play the only heal sorc dps rotation I know: Affliction, shock, force lightning, lightning strike rotation with crushing darkness on CD.

We do the first two habitat bosses and on the next trash pull the assassin dps has afew issues with what I am doing.

him: "why are you not healing?"

me: "the other sorc says they got it, they asked me to dps"

healer: "indeed"

him: "well your dps is pathetic, i suggest you just heal"

me: "we are over half way through and nobody has died or even been close to it, I doubt our healer needs any backup)

healer: "indeed"

him: "your not dpsing properly, your rotation is wrong and your not proccing"

me: "not surprised, im healer specced"

him: "so why aren't you healing"

I could see this was getting abit circular so I decided not to reply. However for the rest of the mission he expressed his opinion of my damage output. What does he expect from a healer who has been asked to dps?

Yet more great kdy folks...

I jumped into kdy with my vang tank and, after the advice I was given a while ago by a sage during a red reaper run, along with practice I am now confident at holding aggro in sensible groups (letting tank pull first) without any need for taunts.

During this kdy run there's a couple of instances of 1 of the 3 dps pulling before me, but only on easy pulls and anyway its kdy not an op. In general there are no issues with aggro and the 3 dps are polite enough to let me pull the fights they know they wont survive (without me even having to say anything, now that's weird).

Get to the end and old mr modo is stood opposing us. I get to pull and do the old tank-a-roony just fine up until his second phase thing. Now stuff gets tricky for my poor tank. I do the old taunt rotation trick to keep aggro as much as humanly possible in that fight. However I clearly wasn't good enough.

At the end 1 of the dps pipes up how bad I was at tanking modo. The other 2 say they think I tanked well. The third 1 says that "is what was depressing, he tanked well through the 2 rooms and most of modo, then he must have had a stroke or something, aggro was everywhere"

hmmm....I am a good tank who clearly had a stroke because I lost aggro during modo's aggro dump phase. I wish some dps would actually try tanking before they comment on the ability of other people.

Edited by BobFredJohn

I jumped into kdy with my vang tank and, after the advice I was given a while ago by a sage during a red reaper run, along with practice I am now confident at holding aggro in sensible groups (letting tank pull first) without any need for taunts.

During this kdy run there's a couple of instances of 1 of the 3 dps pulling before me, but only on easy pulls and anyway its kdy not an op. In general there are no issues with aggro and the 3 dps are polite enough to let me pull the fights they know they wont survive (without me even having to say anything, now that's weird).

Get to the end and old mr modo is stood opposing us. I get to pull and do the old tank-a-roony just fine up until his second phase thing. Now stuff gets tricky for my poor tank. I do the old taunt rotation trick to keep aggro as much as humanly possible in that fight. However I clearly wasn't good enough.

At the end 1 of the dps pipes up how bad I was at tanking modo. The other 2 say they think I tanked well. The third 1 says that "is what was depressing, he tanked well through the 2 rooms and most of modo, then he must have had a stroke or something, aggro was everywhere"

hmmm....I am a good tank who clearly had a stroke because I lost aggro during modo's aggro dump phase. I wish some dps would actually try tanking before they comment on the ability of other people.

ROFL.. As if you could actually tank Modo's second phase.. He aggro dump every other global.

He's under the illusion that because Electrocution doesn't cost any Force, it's a better dps option than all the worthwhile dps attacks.

But anyway: if you pump up dps with Affliction, Crushing Darkness, Force Lightning, Shock and Lightning Strike (you can do a stable rotation if you aren't being hit (no pushback), where you alternate Shock, Force Lightning and Lightning Strike, and substitute LS for Affliction and Crushing Darkness when dot falls off / on cooldown) you can easily maintain a dps of 1,5k to 2k, even while healing (Resurgence+Innervate is mostly enough for single target healing + you get Force Surge buffs and thus off-the-gcd Consumption).

Yah, I'm a dufus. I should not have said "bosses". Of course you cannot stun, or force push, or CC a boss. I'm a bit new to MMOing and my grasp on jargon is still a bit weak. I guess what I meant were the gold/champion guys that usually come before bosses. Like the Jedi in the outdoors section of Athis before you fight the big Beast of Vodal. Those guys will take a stun. (and it's cool to watch the squirm and writhe!!) Sorry for the confusion on that.

THANK YOU for educating me on my DPS. I really had no idea that I could get as much as 2.5K DPS with my attacks, even in full corruption tree. I will hafta learn how to manage my force better as most time when I am dpsing (like on tactical missions, where healing is superfluous), cuz it seems like dpsing uses way more force than healz.

Now that I know my dps is not negligible, I will absolutely do as much as I can, while still keeping healz as my paramount duty of course. This is actually very exciting for me, as now I can add intermittent DPSing to my game play! You guys just doubled my fun! Woot! Seriously, thanks for dragging me into the light! MTFBWY:)

I have another one for the list of healers demanding guard. :rolleyes:

I got a pop for HM Foundry in which everyone was lvl 55 except for the healer, who was lvl 50. The tank was a jug and was less geared than the DPS, myself included. She also seemed inexperienced because she tended to pick one target in a pull and tunnel vision it.

After the very first pull the healer loudly demanded guard. I speak up saying, "you're lvl 50 in heal spec, you aren't going to pull agro" (especially compared to the well geared DPS like myself that had been ripping agro off the tank left and right.) The healer gets angry at that point, saying "I just almost died, so scrubs can be quiet." Then we have this convo:

Me: Let me tell you how guard works. It lowers your threat by a percentage. If no one else is on the agro table for that target, you will still be top threat for it.

Healer: im not worried about threat scrub

Healer: in case you didn't notice i almost died because you cant handle aggro

Me: You talking to me? I'm a mara.

Healer: aaand ignored

I had a good long laugh at that. I guess he couldn't tell the difference between a marauder and a tank.

Edited by Gardimuer

I had a good long laugh at that. I guess he couldn't tell the difference between a marauder and a tank.

Were you leaping in first? If not, he might have thought you were a tank because of that. Marauders always go in first; it's a rule!

EDIT: Speaking of Guard issues, I was running HM Czerka Core Meltdown as my Shadow, getting a rare pop as DPS. I zone in, skim over everyone's gear, and pre-emptively request guard because I'm the best-geared of the bunch and because Balance's high sustained damage and constant self-heals make it a real aggro hoar. I specifically mention aggro as the reason I want guard.

The tank guards me, but tells me that Guard only works in PvP. I politely tell him to read the tooltip.

Sadly, I didn't get to see how that one ended; I had to drop after the second boss due to issues relating to dinnertime.

Edited by venomlash

Classic. Don't forget to explain that the damage reduction is only 5% in PVE, and the 50% is from other players. He might've been confused on that.

5% applies to PvP as well.

As far as I understand, here's the whole deal.

-In PvE, you lower the guarded target's threat by X percentage. Range shouldn't be an issue (I want to say near-infinite, but that might be pushing it :p)

-Both in PvE and PvP, the guarded target gets a 5% damage reduction.

-In PvP, as long as the target is within 15 meters of the tank, 50% of the damage received is transferred.

Didn't want to start a whole topic for one quick question,

In regular Mandalorian Raiders (not HM) can you use CC on the second bosses (the boarding party)? I thought you could in regular but couldn't in HM?

You can use hard stun on all of them but the mara/sent.

I have another one for the list of healers demanding guard. :rolleyes:

I got a pop for HM Foundry in which everyone was lvl 55 except for the healer, who was lvl 50. The tank was a jug and was less geared than the DPS, myself included. She also seemed inexperienced because she tended to pick one target in a pull and tunnel vision it.

After the very first pull the healer loudly demanded guard. I speak up saying, "you're lvl 50 in heal spec, you aren't going to pull agro" (especially compared to the well geared DPS like myself that had been ripping agro off the tank left and right.) The healer gets angry at that point, saying "I just almost died, so scrubs can be quiet." Then we have this convo:

Me: Let me tell you how guard works. It lowers your threat by a percentage. If no one else is on the agro table for that target, you will still be top threat for it.

Healer: im not worried about threat scrub

Healer: in case you didn't notice i almost died because you cant handle aggro

Me: You talking to me? I'm a mara.

Healer: aaand ignored

No seriously, what the heck this "scrub" thing means? :confused:

God, I just had one. Mandalorian Raiders hard mode.

Warning signs were there at the first boss: the tank seemed to think it's a great idea to let those adorable puppies get into the boss' red circle. Well, it isn't. I'm not a great healer but Jesus himself couldn't have healed that through in the end. Especially as the DPS seemed to take ages killing the cutiepie doggies.

Okay, second try, tank actually taunts the boss when it tries to run away so we kill them. Yay, loot. Move on. We wipe four times on the boarding party as the soft enrage is too much for our squishy hearts - what the hell are the DPS doing? The tank starts blaming me. Way to go, man.

We get through (after we group them up properly so I can use my AoE heal efficiently at last), get to the bonus. Again, for some reason the Sentinel and the tank - from the same guild - seem to believe the glowing red circle with the spinning maniac inside it is good for them. They might have expected Christmas gifts, I dunno. Death was swift and inevitable. Next try, they realised - well, I told them - that BIG RED = BIG BAD. Trouble is, he enraged after a prolonged time of whacking. It looked like the Horribly Slow Murderer with an Extremely Inefficient Weapon, the way our DPS barely put a dent in his health.

Oh well. We gave up (that's the spirit, eh!), especially as I noticed by now that the Vanguard tank's standard opener was this: Taunt, Sticky Grenade, Full Auto... yeah. Moving on... On Mavrix, our tank bravely takes on the man himself while the DPS, oh yes, start attacking two separate turrets. The Shadow quickly rectified his error but I couldn't save the Sentinel who still couldn't quite grasp the concept that RED is very very BAD. TWO REDS BAD, FOUR REDS... well, even worse.

So, the combination of the tank whacking at Mavrix and the DPS dying due to a chronic case of stupidity, we wipe. Tank tries to kick me. I leave instead, after telling him that 1) he doesn't have a clue what to do yet never asks questions, 2) opening with Taunt is almost as bad as RED is. Not that he'll ever understand that particular lesson.

Edited by Siorac

Not part of group finder but I did just find someone who right clicks his target as a part of his Marauder rotation. And here I thought Marauders couldn't get worse.

Are you kidding me??? Please tell me it is impossible to have some so dumb Marau-dur doesn't even describe them anymore.... Please *get on my knees, praying to tell me it is impossible*

Are you kidding me??? Please tell me it is impossible to have some so dumb Marau-dur doesn't even describe them anymore.... Please *get on my knees, praying to tell me it is impossible*

I feel physically ill after talking with him.

Sometimes I wonder if people go out of their way to be bad.

There was one night I was playing on my Sentinel. I rolled for the Czerka Labs FP for the first time and my level of derp was just beyond horrible. I've been playing MMOs for a number of years, but that night, it was like I'd inherited the game from a friend and was just learning to play. At least that's how it seemed in my mind.

I got into the Czerka Core Meltdown FP as a PuG and we're just clearing trash, no big deal. We get past the first room and into the second, the facility energy core. The fight starts and one of the other players initiates a knock-back of the mobs off the ledge at the same time I initiate my force leap and so I follow that mob off the edge. I lol at that and then start running back. The only problem is that I take a wrong turn and end up going the complete wrong way, so it takes me forever to get caught back up to the group that had moved beyond the room.

At this point I'm annoyed with myself as I'm sure my teammates are. We clear a boss and then there's a bridge going to the next area that has some missing floor, so you have to run along a narrow bit of debris to get to the other side. I lose control and end up falling off the edge. At this point, my level of derp has exceeded my own patience and I Alt-F4.