The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

It's not that important to keep it up at all times. In leveling content you can easily let it drop for few seconds and it doesn't really matter that much. But it is good to learn it anyway early on so you don't have problems in 50+ content.

What helped me was that I started to keep Kinetic Ward up every time I was on fleet. Try to keep it up while doing anything else other than combat: GTN, crew skills. I have it in first quickbar slot so I can activate it with right mouse button or § (my keybinding, very easy to reach).

Another tip: don't use TK Throw without 3 stacks of Harnessed Shadows. You're losing dps/threat if you do it with or less than 2 stacks. Even with 3 stacks it's still not that good damage/threat wise. You mainly use it to get Shadow Protection.

Seriously, there's still people who don't know that those dogs are immune to taunts?

Now you have me curious, when you say §, do you mean Shift+3, or do you have a legitimate key for that?

That aside, there are always people who don't know things. And there are also people who don't know anything often enough.

Now you have me curious, when you say §, do you mean Shift+3, or do you have a legitimate key for that?

Nordic layout, Finnish multilingual to be exact. Top left corner.

§ is key on left side of "1".

Shift+§ does ½.

Shift+3 does #.

Tilde on US keyboard I guess..

Edited by Halinalle

Im really considering giving up tanking, its such a thankless task:

shadow tanking on cadiemu SM. Now when I tank I go at a pace I feel comfortable, usually based upon healer resource and group hp. On this cad run there were no complaints about the pace, until we got to the bosses. I stopped and said "all know it". Now I have realised through my time people don't usually answer, therefore if I wait for them to type "y" or "yes" or "+" I will be waiting for the rest of my life. As such I just wait long enough for even the slowest of people to type "no" (I don't time it but I reckon about 3-5 seconds).

Clearly this is too slow for some people. Especially sentinels. Trash goes fine, bosses are a nightmare in this run. Every one I stop and ask "all know it". I usually only bother on the first 1, then when I see people know what to do I assume they know all the fights so in a group that looks competent on the first boss I don't bother asking again.

However these 3 clearly didn't know it, but cba to type "no" and see me waiting for a "no" as time wasting. Therefore the dps pulls before me on all bosses, with me being the only 1 who knows tacts.Of course on Cadiemu this is an issue. Theres 4 wipes on the first boss because whoever has the droid ALWAYS gets frozen. You may be wondering why the 2 dps and healer waited until the 4th wipe before asking how to do it, rather than the first....I am wondering exactly the same. This repeats for every boss, 3 wipes on wookie, 7 on ortol (it seems the concept that a rocket engine is hot enough to hurt is rather difficult to grasp).

Playing my jugg on Atheiss HM. The healer pulls the first fight as he jumped down while the 3 of us were on the lift fixed by 1 of the dps. We get down there too late and find a dead healer, kill the pull and res the healer.

He isn't happy though. It seems my tanking is pathetic because the healer pulled aggro....urm....the healer pulled the fight when the 2 dps and tank were at the top of the lift, what did he expect? As he decided I wasn't any use as a tank he refused to heal me, causing me to have to heal myself after every pull for 20-30% each time (about 4-5 ticks, which is afew seconds). The healer uses this few seconds to run ahead and pull the next group.

I run along to catch up, sort out the aggro. Rinse and repeat, I get no heals, while healing myself the healer pulls the next group. This lasts the entire course of the mission, lucky 1 of the dps is a merc who is happy to off-heal on the bosses.

Whenever I ask the healer to heal he always says the same thing:

"can you start healing?"

"I'll heal when you tank"

"I'll tank when you stop pulling first with me not around"

Back on my shadow doing mando SM I get told Im not tanking properly because....

• The guard is on a dps, apparently it should be on the healer
  • Im pulling from stealth "how do you expect to hold aggro if your stealthed, what a stupid noob". As such every time I stealth before a pull (it makes no difference Im only lvl 30 so dont have the buff yet, but I try to build good habits early) the dps decides to jump in before me because he thinks starting in stealth means I generate no aggro
  • As a tank I should stand near the healer so I can see when he is getting shot (this came from a dps, the healer wasn't getting shot, its just the dps was annoyed I was running all over the place on the spread out pulls)

Im am seriously sick of this now. I will happily take advice but just make sure YOU LEARN TO TANK WITH THAT CLASS BEFORE TELLING ME HOW IT IS DONE.

Edited by BobFredJohn

[*]Im pulling from stealth "how do you expect to hold aggro if your stealthed, what a stupid noob". As such every time I stealth before a pull (it makes no difference Im only lvl 30 so dont have the buff yet, but I try to build good habits early) the dps decides to jump in before me because he thinks starting in stealth means I generate no aggro

It's not totally useless to start from stealth at low levels if you pick Shadow's Respite from Infiltration tree (useful especially before you put points into One with the Force). Helps with your burst early in the fight.

Edited by Halinalle

It right there on their freaking buff bar too.

People are apparently too dumb to read tooltips on their own abilities, much less enemy buff bars. If I had a thousand credits for every idiot who asks for CC on mobs with the "alert" buff (immune to soft CC) or the "boss immunity" buff, or who tries to stealth past enemies with "super stealth detection" buff...well, I could buy a cartel pack on the GTN.

It's a pain in HM Mandalorian Raiders in particular, because it has all three. Alert on the enemy boarding party, boss immunity and stealth detection on the turrets...all it takes is one bad in the group who doesn't read tooltips and doesn't follow instructions.

People are apparently too dumb to read tooltips on their own abilities, much less enemy buff bars. If I had a thousand credits for every idiot who asks for CC on mobs with the "alert" buff (immune to soft CC) or the "boss immunity" buff, or who tries to stealth past enemies with "super stealth detection" buff...well, I could buy a cartel pack on the GTN.

It's a pain in HM Mandalorian Raiders in particular, because it has all three. Alert on the enemy boarding party, boss immunity and stealth detection on the turrets...all it takes is one bad in the group who doesn't read tooltips and doesn't follow instructions.

Did you mean cartel pack or hypercrate?

I stopped tanking for pugs a few months ago. Best decision I ever made.

It does seem a shame to stop tanking pugs though. I mean with my dps classes once I have learnt my rotation, fittied it around cool-down management its rather mind-numbingly boring. Sometimes on my dps I hope to be in with a rubbish tank so I get to do something more than press the same few buttons in the same pattern I have been doing since hitting endgame. Healing is pretty much the same. Once I have learnt a decent healing rotation, fitted it around resource and CD management then yet again its dull.

Tanking is the only role I can now play where things get interesting. Especially now where I am comfortable enough with it to do it without use of taunts which are now used for when mr dps/healer pulls before me (except on my jugg, where they are still very much an integral part of my aggro in spread out trash). The fact that tanking is beyond just:

press rotation hotkey 1

press rotation hotkey 2

press rotation hotkey 3...4...5 etc

makes it the only time where I get to actually feel like im doing something.

Other than getting a half decent computer to stop the hideous lag I have in pvp, tanking is the only thing that I find interesting on this game any more. And tbh its made interesting by bad pugs being bad. The issue I have is the whole bad pugs doing bad, dying then blaming the tank for not holding aggro for whatever reason.

Its all the dumb people who think "hmmm...this enemy is not attacking the tank, they must be tanking wrong" without actually learning to tank before reaching this conclusion.

Edited by BobFredJohn

sage: "hes a rubbish tank, that first enemy was attacking everyone"

me (to healer): "you want to take this or shall I?"

healer: "feel free"

me: "go and learn the fights then play as a tank before telling me how its done"

healer: "that should do it"

I love you.

On a side note, crap like this is why I quit playing my protection paladin in World of Warcraft. I got sick to death of hunters pulling, blaming me when their stupidity got them killed, and telling me I was a bad tank. Hell, that's a big reason I quit WoW... my protection paladin was my main and favorite character, and playing her was so NOT fun, that it made the entire game not fun.

And then on a final note, for your listening pleasure, I give SilverLetomi's masterpiece, "You Pull It, You Tank It"

Did you mean cartel pack or hypercrate?

Just a cartel pack, thankfully. I think. Eventually all the bads just sort of melt together in my mind.

On a related (to the current discussion) note, I just Shadow tanked HM Czerka Labs for a very nice group. It was two Combat Sentinels and a Scoundrel healer, all from the same guild. One of the Sents was a bit undergeared and hadn't been past the first boss before, but everyone stayed cool, didn't do stupid stuff (apart from one or two facepulls where the newbie Sent wandered too close to mobs he didn't know were around the corner), and knew their role. We discussed tactics before boss fights, both Sentinels handled adds well, and the only deaths were the DPS getting the red circle of death from Security Chief Zokar (because sometimes Sith Happens).

I really wish every run was like that: competent, polite, and with that one new-ish guy eager to learn.

Queued for a random 55 HM on my Jugg tank (38k health, but nicely optimized 168 gear with 180 bits). Got a group in progress for Czerka Meltdown. Zoned in and ran in together with a very well geared assassin, somewhat confused where the rest of the group is, as they're not on the map.

Turns out the other two are on Oricon. And have around 20k health. They finish their combat and zone in, and a quick inspection shows they're in 124 and a bit of 140 gear, with pretty much no achievements. Looks like two new players who queued without knowing what they got into. And quite a bit below recommended gear average. I mention this might get interesting with their gear level, but let's have a go.

We head for the desert monster, and give it a go. It's not all that bad, but health keeps dropping (also because I missed a generator on one rampage), and we wipe around 30%. The healer (with the lowest gear) asks what the recommended gear level is, apologises for not noticing, and asks if we want him to leave. Assassin says he's got plenty time to try more, and I'm in no hurry either. We give out some pointers on positioning (avoid overlapping rampage hits) and op healing, and try again. This time I try to tank by the book, hitting every generator, using area taunts to shield people, using defences to minimize healer drain etc, and we actually make it.

The new guys are delighted, and real happy with the loot that drops. I tell them this was pretty much the hardest boss in all 55 flashpoints, and it will get easier from here. Next two bosses we give out explanations, new guys do everything by the book, and we easily one-shot the rest of the flashpoint.

All in all it was loads of fun, really having to focus on the hard bit, and having two new players who try hard and learn quickly. It's a real pleasure having new players eager to learn, it's making me think I should PUG a bit more.

-snip-

What a nice happy-ending story :D I got a similar one. DP sm PUG few months ago, we do first 4 bosses with some mistakes and few wipes but nothing beyond horrible. But of course that's not the true 'test' in DP with PUGs, it's the Council. The group decides to give it a shot as a lot of people had story quest unfinished and wanted to FINALLY get it done. We get there, turns out 2 tanks are first timers on Council, most of others either are new as well or never succesfully finished it. I sigh in my mind thinking "ohh god, here goes 2 hours of my life on wipes". But I decided to put some faith in the group and began to explain the entire fight. Explaining all tactics for everyone, teaching both tanks what to do, assigning crystals etc took at least 30-40 mins. And then we started. And one-shoted. People made some mistakes but everyone listened to tacs in chat and paid attention during fight. Group was positively shocked and happy, including me.

And have around 20k health. They finish their combat and zone in, and a quick inspection shows they're in 124 and a bit of 140 gear

Not possible. 140, high main stat + blue lvl49 implants/earpiece = ~17k.

Edited by Halinalle

Finally a group that doesn't blame the tank every time anything goes wrong. SM mando im shadow tanking

Ironically this run I was in I made a couple of aweful mistakes:

The pull where 3 dogs jump out the lift. I do my stuff and usually on this pull I have no issues. I run round doing the pull as per normal when I suddenly notice the dps commando's hp is at 80%. Spinning the camera round I see 1 of the dogs on him. 1 that I missed on a pull which should be rather basic. I apologise afterwards but nobody seems fussed about it though I am disappointed, when before I held all the aggro this time I missed 1, not a good sign:(

And then on the boarding party at the start of the fight I drop the sith inquisitor who goes after the gunslinger for a few seconds before I get over to them as mr warrior has just pushed me onto the floor.

Ironically in a run where I tank worse than normal, I get less abuse and, at the end the healer asks if we can stay grouped and run some more fp's. All 4 of us queue for a second mando and 2 runs of cad, before adding each other to friends and calling it a night. Seems abit backwards, on runs where I keep aggro I get abused for not tanking right, yet on a run where I drop enemies (including 1 of the boarding party bosses) nobody complains and are even willing to run with me again. Prehaps people aren't all as unaware of what a tank does as the people I met over the weekend.

Edited by BobFredJohn

Had an interesting experience on maelstrom prison last night. My guild and I are primarily imp players so with the 12x xp I decide to level my guardian a bit. My friend logs on his mando healer and we decide to run a fp and get maelstrom. Zone in and only one person had done it before and it had been a while for him. So instead of looking up tactics we decide to wing it . Wipe four times on the second boss and once on the last. It was cool though cause no one had done it. One guy even was new to the game but I didnt mention it and no one noticed cause he really dod well. Overall a great experience for a full group of newbs :) Edited by SkyLordJaden

Had on of those ...sigh... moments (actually quite a few) tonight on a Cademimu run with my main, a sage healer.

The tank was a vanguard and we had two DPS, whom I noticed was in the lower end HP'wise, so I kind of guessed they might not be geared all too well... But still, with a decent tank, it should be easy....

First off, let me say that it was rather clear that the tank did indeed know the flashpoint. I'm just not sure, as it turned out, that he knew that much about tanking it.

From the get go, I noticed that our vanguard had some serious Aggro management issues.. I spent every fight furiously hammering my buttons, as I had to heal the dps as much, if not more, than the tank, since everything seemed to aggro on them.....if not me..

Now, I can handle that and in most cases, I just consider it practice... But it was what our vanguard added after most fights, that really ticked me off: "Weak DPS" - "L2P Noobs" and so on and so forth. One of the dps even agreed with him at one point, that his dps might be a bit weak.. That about did it for me..

Got to Xander, and surprisingly the fight went smooth as silk (barring a few aggro issues and my furiously tapping to save the dps)... After everything leading up to it, I was surprised, to say the least. My hopes rose marginally, even with the aggro issues..

Onwards towards Grimyk and once more the adds nearly tore us up, since the vanguard couldn't hold them...

After yet another "Noobs, kill faster!" I piped in with a "Learn to manage your aggro first, before complaining." (This was after we lost one dps, since I simply couldn't keep all three up at the same time, as fast as they were dropping.. They managed to burn through my force on adds!)

- Now, I know I should've expected it, but I was still unpleasantly surprised by the verbal abuse that followed. Apparently our vanguard is of the belief that s/he is Gods very own gift to tanking.. And did not take kindly to anybody pointing out that this might not be the case... It did not help at all, when I casually stated that so far, I'd carried all three of them through the FP on my healing.. I'd even been facetanking quite a bit, since the vanguard didn't always see 'quite all' of the mobs... Nor did the dps. (And a call of "adds" did not seem to have much effect)

After we wiped on Grimyk, when every single add (Quite a few at this point, so yes, the DPS weren't the strongest) decided that I was their absolute favorite person in the whole wide galaxy... (I went down, then the tank and finally the dps, but they DID manage to down Grimyk before the last one fell to the adds)

Once again our vanguard opened up on us and especially my healing, since I'd failed to keep him alive.. My pointing out that letting adds wait for last was not the best solution with less-that-strong dps and a tank that couldn't keep aggro did not help here either... Apparently it was my fault for not being able to heal with 15 or so adds burning me down.. (I even ran circles around the tank a few times, with them on my tail, and he still didn't see)...

I am not sure why I even bothered at this point, but I think I felt sorry for the dps.. Sure they seemed new, but none of them were abusive and all things considered, they did rather well..

Surprisingly, at this point the vanguard chose caution over bravery and actually killed the adds on the way to the final boss, rather than outrun them... I even complemented him on his choice...right up till the point where he decided to open the bonus boss, with the group we had... I was actually quite proud of being able to heal through that without anybody dying... But damn it was close.. I had 10% life and no force left, when he finally went down... One more pull and we'd have been wiped.. (Since they were in little better shape) - Of course, it might've helped if the tank hadn't decided to melee through the pull-in AOEs... I'm not sure if this is how you usually do it, but taking the group we had into account, it wasn't the best idea. - I decided not to comment on it this time, which only proves that being a nice guy truly does not pay.

Oh.. Did I forget to say that he even had the audacity to demand, that I hand over the decoration I won at the bonus boss? Since 'he' was carrying us noobs through... I only replied that indeed, one of us was carrying the group.. But it wasn't him.. He called me some choice words after that...

To my utter astonishment, the final parts went smooth, even the boss.. Of course that says more about the DPS using some CCs on the last adds, than it does the tanks aggro-management, which never improved..

At least he knew where to go on the jet-engines..

Patience, apparently, is one of my strong suits...

I whispered both the DPS afterwards and asked if they wanted a few pointers or needed help with anything.. Both of them replied politely and one asked me to help with Oricon, which I did.. A nice ending to a rather haggard experience.

I even complemented him on his choice...right up till the point where he decided to open the bonus boss, with the group we had... I was actually quite proud of being able to heal through that without anybody dying... But damn it was close.. I had 10% life and no force left, when he finally went down... One more pull and we'd have been wiped.. (Since they were in little better shape) - Of course, it might've helped if the tank hadn't decided to melee through the pull-in AOEs

Pardon me as I have only tanked Cad before with my jugg, and when asking for tactics the healer gave me advice. On the bonus they told me to move away during the aoe and there were no issues what-so-ever.

For all I know the healer may have been frantically spamming heals to keep me up but I never had any difficulty with the bonus boss, though I have only fought it once, as a tank.

Pardon me as I have only tanked Cad before with my jugg, and when asking for tactics the healer gave me advice. On the bonus they told me to move away during the aoe and there were no issues what-so-ever.

For all I know the healer may have been frantically spamming heals to keep me up but I never had any difficulty with the bonus boss, though I have only fought it once, as a tank.

Normally, I wouldn't be concerned about doing the bonus boss either.. But with a group so under-geared, as they apparently were and a tank that had what seemed to be an inflated opinion of his own abilities, then yeah, it can be an issue.. My point is, that with the tank being as pro, as he told everyone, he should have considered whether or not to attempt the bonus boss at all, with the group we had... If for no other reason, than everybody else being noob under-performers in his mind (According to what he wrote in chat). But he pulled without a second's hesitation.. (Edit: After having first made a decision that in my mind seemed to say, that he was aware the group would have issues with just running through the trash. I thought he was being cautious at last.)

Edited by Lord_Robert

Two days, two GroupFinder HM FP runs where the group ended up having two Tanks ><

Since healer queue times have been pretty good on my server, I dusted off my Merc!Healer and got a pop into HM Mando Raiders. Zone in and notice the rest of the group is sitting on an average of 28K, but the Jugg marked as Tank is a little higher and seems alright. I then notice the second Jugg is also in Tank stance, and after the first pull decides to leap in (into the first pull on the ramp with the gold!droid) while the actual Tank grabs the wandering gold!droid. Now I'm an Operative healer, so Merc healing is always a little strange to me, but the next few pulls were a pain.

After a wipe thanks to some poorly timed taunting by fake!Tank I and the real!Tank ask him to get out of Tank stance. He does but then comments that "well two Tanks make it easier... lol". Yeah... myself and real!Tank basically ask what he's been smoking.

Move onto the first boss, with the two dogs, and the DPS is so low that the real!Tank kills the Mando first, so both (yes, both were still alive) dogs enrage and we wipe. Real!Tank and I remind the other two were to stand to avoid knockbacks, and to not run about like headless chickens. Second go the other DPS (a poor little sniper) stays in cover and doesn't run from the dogs, and that along with some DPS from me sees the Dogs die with the boss having a huge 4% health to spare.

After that I ask the fake!Tank if he can respec, but he can't. Then the real!Tank says he can and does (my forehead made contact with my desk at this point). From then on Fake!Tank tried... I think... but mostly I was still healing real!Tank (even in DPS stance and gear was still doing a far better job).

Only wipe on the boarding party was fake!Tank after he decided to stand in the final lad's AOE (did explain to kill them at the same time but hey, I wasn't expecting much). I did finally learn how to manage Merc energy, since I was mostly healing myself thanks to having all the lovely aggro during the fight.

Bonus boss sees us wipe since the fake!Tank clearly didn't know anything about it, and made mention of it after the wipe. Real!Tank and I both typed out explanations however then fake!Tank suddenly changes his story and says he does know the fight... okay then... second try and fake!Tank has now found his taunt button so the bonus!boss doesn't chase us all around with that nasty red circle.

Final boss we got through (thanks to real!Tank smacking/taunting the second turret in each group to get it off me) and I thanked real!Tank and told fake!Tank not to queue like that and look up some guides. He the ADMITS that he knew he couldn't respec and didn't have DPS gear but the queue was taking too long. He was basically told that wipes groups and sees you put on ignore lists before I got out of there.

- -

Second time I was thankfully on my Operative!Healer, my main, but it was a Czerka Meltdown HM. The rest of the group is sitting around my level, on 40K, and the real!Tank puts guard on me. I click it off, and do so each time he reapplies it, not wishing to try and re-educate someone until the end, avoid any temper tantrums. The Sorc!DPS does pull at times but doesn't ask for guard (though we do strike up a pleasant whisper conversation regarding the sudden appearance of Tanks faking being DPS).

Real!Tank is a Jugg, again, and so it fake!Tank. After the first pull I comment on his Tank stance and then he switches it and asks what I was on about. Thankfully the Sorc!DPS had also seen it and backed me up. The fake!Tank then, like the last one, says two Tanks could be better, especially for Duneclaw. I think the Sorc's player and I exchanged a look of disbelief through the internet, which turned into a joint facepalm when real!Tank agreed with him.

Thankfully that didn't happen, and the bosses went down without too much of a hitch. Fake!Tank did reactivate his Tank stance, which annoyed me, but he clearly wasn't up on the rotation as he never stole any aggro and when he pulled the poor Sorc would get most of the aggro. When fake!Tank pulled I wouldn't heal him, and after he wiped by running well ahead of the group he seemed to fall back into line. I was wondering why real!Tank wasn't saying anything, but he did seem behind the earlier suggestion of having two Tanks, so I felt it was best not to try and get into his head.

Final boss down and I quickly inform the real!Tank about why I didn't want his guard, thanked the Sorc for the entertaining whispers, and got out of there.

And Tanks are usually in short supply... man... can I go back to having quality over quantity please? The queues had been doing so well! (Oh, and sorry for the length... >_> )

And Tanks are usually in short supply... man... can I go back to having quality over quantity please?

Thats what I was thinking through the whole story. Yeah I get why (but don't like) dps queue as healers and tanks, but tank queuing for dps?

I met a guy with my shadow just now, I was queued on gf for all available fp's and a pop for cad (I assume based upon people's levels, I still don't get why the gf pop screen doesn't tell you which 1) and dps doesn't answer. Pop appears again and 3 of us ready, but a dps doesn't answer again.

I get a whisper from the guy who was set as healer on both these pops asking if we can queue together, but also asking if I was a proper tank. We group up, the healer tells me the name of the dps guy who accepted both times, I invite him and we queue up again.

All the time we are waiting for our 2nd dps the healer is quizzing me on if I am a real tank or not, as he has had enough of fake tanks. Tbh I have no idea what this guys standard for a tank is so all I can tell him is im combat technique and tank tree specced, as for whether or not I can tank to the standard he wants we will have to wait and see.

We get our group and zone in, apart from the cantina ambush where I don't pick up aggro on 2 enemies before the dps down them, and afew missed kinetic wards (I keep having issues with k-ward coming off cd during my tkt, which annoys me because imo I should be keeping it on CD) I felt I did ok. At the end the healer whispered me apologising for asking me if I can tank (I don't see why he should apologise, seems a perfectly reasonable question to ask the person who has queued as tank).

We add each other to friends and he asks me if I can teach him to tank with his guardian. I let him know my jugg tanking is pathetic, relies heavily on taunts and the only reason I can hold aggro with a shadow is its easy. He still persists so I jump on my scoundrel healer and we 2-man a mando run with me trying to give tips (difficult as mine is a jugg so all the abilities have different names) in the end he is holding aggro off me and has got a basic rotation, a nice foundation. However I point out to him if he wants to guardian tank properly then he should go and find a decent guardian tank to build on the foundations.

Edited by BobFredJohn

Had on of those ...sigh... moments (actually quite a few) tonight on a Cademimu run with my main, a sage healer.

Just some observations. I am also presuming this is 55HM version? If so:

1. You should have all been on the Transport ship on Grymick. The adds dont bother you there. Tank stays down, Los the boss, draw him over and allow him to blow up at the end killing the adds.

2. On bonus boss. Position yourself behind the railing just next to where the lift is. There is a little lip between it and the lift shaft. It prevents you being pulled to the boss too. Other rdps can stand there too. Another viable option is the boxes to the left.

Just some observations. I am also presuming this is 55HM version? If so:

1. You should have all been on the Transport ship on Grymick. The adds dont bother you there. Tank stays down, Los the boss, draw him over and allow him to blow up at the end killing the adds.

This seriously isn't necessary or even particularly helpful. Grabbing the adds as they come is ridiculously easy for a tank. Just use the boss' flamethrower to scorch them and the last ones will blow up when the boss does. I never go on top of the shuttle unless the tank insists and there's never been any problems.