Warning on high population servers

StephenReid

Generally speaking, we haven't seen any servers go from empty to full (with large queues) inside a day. In fact, we have some servers that still have 'standard' load now and haven't moved from there since they came up during Early Game Access.

*cough* Jung Ma *cough*

But thank you for the updates. I really appreciate that you let us know what's going on so frequently. It often doesn't feel like it's transparent enough, but you're doing a lot better than most companies in that respect and I recognize that you're trying to balance spending the time to update people with spending the time to actually do the things you're updating people on...

I'm glad to see that Jung Ma is not on your list. That means that while we may be well over your lowered pop cap, we're not actually near the true server capacity and our crazy queues will probably subside as we were hoping.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The raising the caps is rubbish they just feeding that line to keep people quiet, the caps have not been raised all they have done is open new servers, which will not fix the problem!

lol, he said gradually ... not all at once. If you do it all at once, your going to make the servers lopsided by people picking the same damn server. If you gradually increase it, people will see that it is full and pick another server. Get it?

That is a pure lie! stop suger coating it and fix the damn servers.

Don't tell me you want your customers to stay queued for 4-6h that is bad for business and you know it. Adress this issue as a top priority people that have already spend a week worth of playing wont leave so either fix what you did wrong or offer guilds a transfer..

But don't come with this lame s*** that pretty much means WE DON'T CARE..

That is a pure lie! stop suger coating it and fix the damn servers.

Don't tell me you want your customers to stay queued for 4-6h that is bad for business and you know it. Adress this issue as a top priority people that have already spend a week worth of playing wont leave so either fix what you did wrong or offer guilds a transfer..

But don't come with this lame s*** that pretty much means WE DON'T CARE..

You mad Bro?

I wanna see your MMO that you created that was such a hit :)

I was put on Red Eclipse in the EU with my guild by BW and while I appreciate its not an exact science, BW go their math wrong and put too many guilds on this server. It was one of the first if not the first EU PvE server to reach full status and have massive Q's imo anf from watching the server list window (a lot)...

I dont want even 15 min Q's in a couple of weeks time. If its still bad I'm gonna bully everyone in my guild to switch servers and I hope by that time BW have something implemented to make the switch seemless.

Then pay to play on another server :D

Entire guilds have been deployed, including mine, in advance on these high population servers. Don't you understand? It's too late.

It's day 1 ... technically day 7 with EGA. They released this game not even 24 hours ago to the whole WORLD. Rome wasn't built in a day lol. Give em a break, they will fix it and things will even out.

You haven't read what he's written:

We do not expect the queues to alleviate on these servers for the foreseeable future.

You know, I'm not moaning for the sake of it. Many aspects of this release have been great (for me at least) but this just isn't workable.

No, I'm not prepared to spend 2+ hours queuing each time I want to play the game.

Character transfers didn't seem very urgent at all in that reply - I don't think they're getting the frustration on our side.

Guess we need another million pre-orders to afford to bring in extra resources to create a character transfer system - going to be a tight christmas, sorry sweety.

just gonna throw my two cents in there, let people have a free server transfer from servers with "full status" to any other server other than listed as full from peak gaming hours.

let this go on for a weekend or so and by then everything should be smooth over as far as populations go.... one key thing that has to be done though is to make sure the people who are "guild leaders" to move and transfer servers too.... that way whole guilds can transfer....

Then everyone would stop complaining about the servers' que times..

On the one hand I'm very glad that you guys FINALLY responded (I've seen people complaining about this since day 2 of early access), but you guys need rethink this.

During my waits of 45-60 minutes, I have noticed that the majority of the servers are full and have queues ranking from a mere 15 mins to up to 2 hours. I find it very hard to believe that so few servers were on that list. Asking us to just reroll to a lighter server is not a good solution. That might work for one person but we have large groups of players that want to play together. You have your large guilds numbering around 100...you have many former SWG server-mates playing together (we have a group of about 240), and then you have groups like the Australian players who all want to play at a time when other players are around (no idea how large that number is).

This is a really awesome game, the only thing I hate is the queues. I don't have tons of hours a day that I can dedicate to this game. The moment I get home from work I have about 5 hrs before I need to get to bed. Sure I can multitask but I cant afford to waste an hour waiting to log in. If this isn't fixed it's going to be a deal-breaker for a bunch of people.

At the very least, allow us to play on a low pop server while we wait for our turn in the queue. Then, just pop us onto our character when the time comes.

IF they had the tech to do that, I'm sure 100% of us would be on board for it.

They don't. :(

I think my main issues with this is that they pre deployed my guild to one of the top 3 high pop servers with ques topping 4 hours this weekend. On top of that the didn't do a proper oceanic release so all of them whoa re into PVP rolled on our server as well. So I feel like were stuck and bent over for the "foreseeable future"

Entire guilds have been deployed, including mine, in advance on these high population servers. Don't you understand? It's too late.

You haven't read what he's written:

You know, I'm not moaning for the sake of it. Many aspects of this release have been great (for me at least) but this just isn't workable.

No, I'm not prepared to spend 2+ hours queuing each time I want to play the game.

So because your entire guild has been deployed, you guy HAVE to stay on that one server eh? Interesting ...

I read everything he wrote, that still doesn't make it any less true that if you do not have the patience to wait in a queue during the Launch of a brand new game ... then it's time to switch servers. My guild switched server Multiple times on 2 different games. It can be done, I promise :D

As many of you know, we're experiencing high load and corresponding queues on some servers. This is to be expected during launch, as a high number of people want to play the game, and for long stretches at a time.

[...]

Thanks Stephen, appreciate to know it's being worked on

Originally Posted by StephenReid

At the same time, higher population servers will not be 'locked' because we want to allow people to join a server to play with their friends if they wish to.

Originally Posted by Ramuaz

So you'd rather allow EGA and non-EGA players to sit in hour/multiple hour long queues instead?

No, he's saying it's a bad idea to stop someone from playing with their friends, family and guildmates just because of a population surge during the Official Launch Day.

It's not just about official launch day. Server queues have been happening, and increasing, since I started playing EGA which I received two days after they started the invite waves. I've played my main character (where my guild was deployed by BioWare) only a few times now because I refuse to wait in a queue. So now, since I rolled new a toon on another EGA server with low load, will that server be full with a long queue which will force me to start a 3rd time on a brand new server they just released on open launch day?

So because your entire guild has been deployed, you guy HAVE to stay on that one server eh? Interesting ...

I read everything he wrote, that still doesn't make it any less true that if you do not have the patience to wait in a queue during the Launch of a brand new game ... then it's time to switch servers. My guild switched server Multiple times on 2 different games. It can be done, I promise :D

Well I guess you like to waste time but the rest of us value our time

I agree! For my Guild, I am in the position of suggesting that we move to a less populated server despite many members at Lvl 20+. I recognise that MMO launches will have a large player influx placing pressures on the server which will dwindle to the commited players after few weeks and months, however I think that the devs should provide select pre-launch guilds the option to transfer the guild to less pop servers.

However, think that character transfers should only be offered to a few guilds to prevent everyone going to a set minority of servers therefore populating them beyond pop cap.

Edited by RussSen

7 days ago my guild (41 members) started up on Frostclaw, placed there by BW. The first 3-4 days where great - only minor dc's here and there and the queue was small (5-10 mins).

Frostclaw ... my first reaction was "Oh no, that sounds way to cool for a server - every kid and his mother are going to select that one". And boy, was I right.

I wish our guild had been placed on a server called 'Noobys Noob Yards" or something non- apealing.

The last few days this has become a joke - you have to plan 60-70 mins of queuetime into your actual playtime - and to top this off - every dc you have adds 60+ mins of waiting.

Today, my son and I have had 4 and 6 dc's each:

- actual playtime 4 hrs 22 mins.

- actual waittime 4 hrs 43 mins.

I tried to log on this morning, before going off to work, at 08:00 am ... and was placed in a queue! @ 08:00? In the morning? Come on....

BW you placed us there.

BW you allowed everybody (non-pre-guilded-accounts) to choose Frostclaw EVEN after the FULL sign was up.

BW you place people who disconnect in a hour long waiting line - what's up with that? (Thats like placing all the toilets at a concert OUTSIDE the gates - and demanding that you queue up and (pay) to reenter after useing the toilet)...

BW please allow us to migrate to a server of OUR choosing.

I'm wondering if anyone is going face some discipline over how this launch is being managed.

After being available to the general public for a couple of hours we get a message telling us to stay away from hanging out with our friends on a couple of servers, and that they don't have an ETA on server transfers... really?!

Hindsight is always 20/20 but a couple of simple observations on how this could of been avaoided:

1) Don't allow new players to create a toon on early access servers unless they know some one on there already.

2) Facilitate server transfers.

Here is hoping that this week's Friday update is about server transfers.

This stinks.

My guild was also pre-deployed on Frostclaw. I'm routinely sitting in queues of between 1 and 3 hours whenever I log in. At this rate, raiding will simply be impossible as we won't be able to guarantee everyone can be online at the same time, rather than stuck in a queue. If the queues are still there, and more than maybe 15min long at worst, when free play ends then I'm not subscribing and I'm sure many others will reach the same conclusion. The only alternative is guild transfers to lower pop servers which won't have queues.