Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

Actually, at the start of a match, left/right is easiest because EVERYONE has the same orientation and left/right is instinctive.

Disagree. People get left and right wrong in every day life all the time. Hence, the term "No, your other left." Nobody ever mixed up grass and snow.

Edited by YanksfanJP

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL this whole thread is a comeday act by abbot and costello.

its simple when you drive a car.... do you tell the person to go right or left? or you do actually try to get your bearings and say go north... and make the driver think? so technically its easier to say right or left out of the spawn.

so what if they say grass or snow....let me say this again here:

maybe this will help... if you KNOW what he means then communication is complete. if you dont.. then you are noob to civil war and wont be much help anyway.

if you want to say north or south....let me say it again....

then use it.

wow... unbelievable... all the problems with the game.. and you are worried about little piddling doo doo like this.

Actually, at the start of a match, left/right is easiest because EVERYONE has the same orientation and left/right is instinctive.

good point unless they are facing the team at which point you have other worries ;p

Uh... Yeah... your minimap has a arrow pointing north. It doesn't mark snow or grass though...

Again, your brain has to adjust to thinking directional instead of visually. You have to switch from looking at your surroundings and target to looking at the map. You never look at the map except during those times.

If you didn't learn directions, you didn't go to school. You can't even properly read a map without knowing cardinal directions, so how you expect to have been able to go through world history without having been taught them would be an amusing explanation.

What are you like between the ages of 30-50? Do you know anyone who actually uses maps? How many 10-25 year olds do you know who can accurately read a map in 3 seconds as opposed to GPS? Seriously you dropped World History as your example? You know when I took World History last - 15 years ago. Yes, 15 years ago was the last time I had to point something out on a frigging world map.

The only people who use compasses and actual maps are survival nuts, and non-public schools.

For those of us who know directions, east/west with a compass is just as instinctual as left/right. Snow/grass can NOT be instinctual.

Except for the part about left/right, all you've proven is that our educational system is failing.

Again that was my point. All you proved is that you have a failure to adjust to those who aren't instinctual with directions. I have never gone camping, and have no desire to go out to the forest to try and find my way out. I don't hunt, camp, go hiking or run around with maps in my back pocket. I recite the mantra Never Eat Soggy Waffles everytime my brother, who is in the military, shouts out directions. It's not a regular process for 75 percent of the general public.

That's like me asking you recite the formula for finding the total dynamic head of water because it's instinctual for me. So it must be for you or you must be ignorant right? This is what you expect others to do. I don't use compass directions on a regular basis, but I can tell you the specific gravity of water as well as the lbs per gallon wait, and how to figure out the amount of water stored in specific dimensions. I can also give you the percentage of pressurized water you have in a 500 gallon tank where the pressure is 40.

Can you please tell me the amount of total flow that passes through the water line that feeds your house, the pressure it comes in at, and your standard usage rate? This is basic common knowledge to anyone who has any basic understanding of plumbing or house. Unfortunately 95 percent of the people who read this can't even tell you what size pvc line feeds their house.

Expecting other to understand something that is not commonly taught (though it should be), and is rarely used outside of specific niche circles is both ridiculous and pretentious.

You can't say that it's not ok to go from visual to directional in the first part of your post, and then say it is ok to do it when you have to look at the map, decide which side green is and which side red is, look at the arrow of your character to figure out which direction your character is facing, and then rotate so you're pointed at the green node. Completely hypocritical.

Just put some damned holes in the walls at mid or get rid of half the roof so we can zoom out more.

Are you serious? this is your comment? haha come on man! The green nodes are at the top of your screen. You don't turn to face them. They are always there they don't move haha. Seriously?

Disagree. People get left and right wrong in every day life all the time. Hence, the term "No, your other left." Nobody ever mixed up grass and snow.

Actually the other day I went outside to mow the grass and found it covered in snow, but got so confused that I mowed the snow and shoveled the grass.

W

its simple when you drive a car.... do you tell the person to go right or left? or you do actually try to get your bearings and say go north... and make the driver think? so technically its easier to say right or left out of the spawn.

haha, comparing driving a car with playing a 3 dimensional game is humorous at best. In one case you are always headed in the same direction as the driver and you know the way he is facing. Nice try, but comparing a decision where everyone is headed in the same direction is not going to work.

Now the difference in the beginning of the game between left and right is like saying turn into the starbucks parking lot as opposed to saying turn right into the parking lot.

btw, it's a slow day at work, and this is fun for me.

Edited by TheOpf

Again, your brain has to adjust to thinking directional instead of visually. You have to switch from looking at your surroundings and target to looking at the map. You never look at the map except during those times.

You should be looking at your map constantly. It's far more informative than your restricted LOS.

What are you like between the ages of 30-50? Do you know anyone who actually uses maps? How many 10-25 year olds do you know who can accurately read a map in 3 seconds as opposed to GPS? Seriously you dropped World History as your example? You know when I took World History last - 15 years ago. Yes, 15 years ago was the last time I had to point something out on a frigging world map.

I'm 22. If I have a friend who even hesitates when I say east, I'll slap them.

The only people who use compasses and actual maps are survival nuts, and non-public schools.

And gamers. Since, you know, 95% of games now have maps, and they're conveniently always pointed north.

Again that was my point. All you proved is that you have a failure to adjust to those who aren't instinctual with directions.

Oh, I know what snow/grass means, I just thought it was idiotic since I first heard it.

I have never gone camping, and have no desire to go out to the forest to try and find my way out. I don't hunt, camp, go hiking or run around with maps in my back pocket. I recite the mantra Never Eat Soggy Waffles everytime my brother, who is in the military, shouts out directions. It's not a regular process for 75 percent of the general public.

Every time I use my phone as a GPS, it not only shows me where I am, but what direction I'm going. Where you are is only half the information from a GPS.

That's like me asking you recite the formula for finding the total dynamic head of water because it's instinctual for me. So it must be for you or you must be ignorant right? This is what you expect others to do. I don't use compass directions on a regular basis, but I can tell you the specific gravity of water as well as the lbs per gallon wait, and how to figure out the amount of water stored in specific dimensions. I can also give you the percentage of pressurized water you have in a 500 gallon tank where the pressure is 40.

Can you please tell me the amount of total flow that passes through the water line that feeds your house, the pressure it comes in at, and your standard usage rate? This is basic common knowledge to anyone who has any basic understanding of plumbing or house. Unfortunately 95 percent of the people who read this can't even tell you what size pvc line feeds their house.

Cardinal directions are basic common knowledge. No additional qualifications to it. You learn it and are tested over it long before leaving elementary school.

Expecting other to understand something that is not commonly taught (though it should be), and is rarely used outside of specific niche circles is both ridiculous and pretentious.

It is commonly taught, and exceptionally easy to learn. Trying to argue otherwise is like saying addition isn't commonly taught.

And honestly, this is the proper response to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU

Edited by Apocalypse-

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

I do agree with the west/east instead of grass/snow. . .simply because I know my directions. The reason why people are calling it like this is because they literally dont know the difference between east and west. The school system just failed them for whatever reason. While that seems silly to me, I have to accept it if it gets the job done better/faster.

I personally have issues with grass snow since I have yet to create a way to easily remember which side is grass and which side is snow. If I'm on the field it's easy to see which side I'm on. If I'm under middle going to one side, and I hear help called for grass or snow, I literally dont know which side is which right now. If I'm up at the spawn ship and hear it called out, I have to run to the window on one side of the ship, and if thats not the right side, I have to run allllll the way over to the other side and hit the side speeder.

Again, whichever gets the job done better/faster/easier for the community. Eventually I'll figure out an easy way to remember which side is snow and which side is grass. . .but as of yet I dont really care too much, I continue to call it east and west(in relation to the minimap).

LOL this whole thread is a comeday act by abbot and costello.

Everyone faces the same direction in a car AT ALL TIMES, that is why you can use left/right w/o worrying. In a WZ that is not true. You can say "from spawnpoint", but you have to explain that EVERYTIME in a WZ because some people use left/right from spawn, while others use left/right on minimap.

so what if they say grass or snow....let me say this again here:

maybe this will help... if you KNOW what he means then communication is complete. if you dont.. then you are noob to civil war and wont be much help anyway.

Thing is some people don't know what grass/snow means because they're new to the game. West/east is fundamental to life.

Edited by Smashbrother

grass and snow works fine, right and left works too if you dont like grass and snow. You dont have to use it but dont be surprised when people dont use east and west all the time and dont get upset when people dont agree with you.

Wait, which side is grass and which side is snow? People actually pay attention to these things? If someone said go grass or go snow I would be like ***? And then by the time they explained it, the Imps would have capped already. Just use east and west, please.

haha, comparing driving a car with playing a 3 dimensional game is humorous at best. In one case you are always headed in the same direction as the driver and you know the way he is facing. Nice try, but comparing a decision where everyone is headed in the same direction is not going to work.

Now the difference in the beginning of the game between left and right is like saying turn into the starbucks parking lot as opposed to saying turn right into the parking lot.

btw, it's a slow day at work, and this is fun for me.

wait you mean you are facing a different way coming out of the spawn... i was under the impression that in civil war we take the same speeders... we start with 2 spawning and they both face the same way...

wonder what game you play.... if you take left right node.. guess what.. it faces teh SAME WAY... LOL...

got a reminder for you... stick your index finger straight up... have your thumb make a 90 degree angle... look at both of your hands in front you... which one is the L..... guess what.. that is your left... LOL

void star is where it gets annoying, the right door will be the right door on the mini map if you are attacking or defending, yet some peeps will call out "LEFT" when they need help at the right door. some people will flip right/left depending on attacking or defending, that's where the problems come from

snow / grass is awesome as there CANNOT be any confusion as to what side you are talking about. again on this map if you play both factions the rebels east is the imperials west so to avoid confusion snow grass is a superior way to call incoming

Wait, which side is grass and which side is snow? People actually pay attention to these things? If someone said go grass or go snow I would be like ***? And then by the time they explained it, the Imps would have capped already. Just use east and west, please.

buy some recruit gear pls, WZ can be fun stick with it and you might just get used to your surroundings

PRO TIP

the side covered in SNOW is called SNOW

the side covered in GRASS is called GRASS

Wow, did I really read that someone finds calling east/west intellectually snobbish? Da ***? Like myself and others have pointed out, it's not a hard system to use. Neither is grass/snow; I don't know why you'd say east/west is only for smarties and then assume that people who use the system don't understand grass/snow. I also happen to think grass/snow sounds a bit silly, but that doesn't really matter.

You can use whatever system you like (except for left/right, please), but east/west is objectively better for several reasons. You can use it for all of the node-based WZs; why switch to a new system for only one WZ? Snow/grass is only more helpful visually when you are standing on the sides. However, the mini-map is also a visual aid, and as someone else mentioned, gives you much more useful information than starring at your feet. I use it to keep track of the flow of battle and run where I'm needed before I'm even called. Since I'm already paying attention to it, it is exceptionally easy for me to keep myself oriented.

When you can't see grass/snow, you go where you're called because you know the map well, aka you know where east and west are. Since you understand where east/west are, why not call them like you do in VS and NC?

I'm curious: if you like to use grass/snow, do you have a problem when someone calls east/west?

I don't have a problem understanding grass/snow aside from it sounding kinda lame. That's not to say that I think people are noobs when they use it (unless they happen to play poorly), nor do I think using east/west makes me a super radical dude. (like this guy --> :rak_03:) I just disagree with grass/snow from an aesthetic standpoint.

In 22 pages, I have yet to see a convincing argument for why grass/snow is an objectively superior system. Most of the people arguing for it do so simply because they're used to it. The only attempt at a real argument I've read is the visual nature of grass/snow. However, this is not a true pro for grass/snow because:

- the mini-map is just as visual and takes as little time to notice as grass or snow, all while providing more info

- relying solely on actually seeing snow or grass wastes a bunch of time

- (most damning of all) many users of grass/snow say they don't have to actually see either feature because they know the map, i.e. they are already oriented to east and west.

I realize I've repeated myself quite a bit in this thread, but that's because I'm still waiting on someone to either address my arguments or concede that I've made some good points.

-Hedley Melange <Dynamic>, Dreshdae-->The Shadowlands-

..... again on this map if you play both factions the rebels east is the imperials west so to avoid confusion snow grass is a superior way to call incoming

No, it's really not. Imperial spawn is North, Landing/grass turret is west, rep spawn is south, snow/generator is east. If you press M, the imp spawn is always north.

grass/snow is better as it eliminates all confusion

east west is bad because the rebel east on the map is the sith west

the sith west is the rebel east

why would you use a system where the values are subject to change. grass/ snow is a CONSTANT across ALL maps and factions

yw

No, it's really not. Imperial spawn is North, Landing/grass turret is west, rep spawn is south, snow/generator is east. If you press M, the imp spawn is always north.

exactly so when you spawn as an imp the rebel spawn is north, grass is east, and snow is west and the imp spawn is south, get it??

grass/snow is better as it eliminates all confusion

east west is bad because the rebel east on the map is the sith west

the sith west is the rebel east

why would you use a system where the values are subject to change. grass/ snow is a CONSTANT across ALL maps and factions

yw

Why do people keep saying this?

East and West DO NOT CHANGE EVER on your mini-map, which is ALWAYS visible on your screen.

Do you guys never look at your mini map?

If Grass / Snow "eliminated all confusion", this thread wouldn't exist.

Thoop, just... no. Stop it.

East and West never change. Rep and Imp have the same east and west. What you mean is they have a different left and right.

So... yeah, maybe you should use grass/snow. Not sure what you're gonna do for voidstar and NC, though.

-Hedley Melange <Dynamic>, Dreshdae-->The Shadowlands-

Why do people keep saying this?

East and West DO NOT CHANGE EVER on your mini-map, which is ALWAYS visible on your screen.

Do you guys never look at your mini map?

If Grass / Snow "eliminated all confusion", this thread wouldn't exist.

your not getting it

on a rebel mini map east is the same place as west on a sith mini map