Dragon Age 3 Devs moved to SWTOR.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Dragon Age Origins AND Dragon Age 2.

My only complaint against DA2 was that the whole game took place in one city, and the zones all looked very similar. I still enjoyed the story, and I even thought the graphics were more my style. The combat system was also revamped to be more console friendly which I appreciated being that I owned a PS3 copy.

Yeah I understand since DA2 was changed in several ways to adapt to consoles, but these changes, such as the world, the combat system and camera were the very things old schools hated. And to me, DA2, despite its alright story, was a meaningless game. The possibility that the same devs, if any of them is here, might give some of those bold (!) decisions for SWTOR scares the hell out of me :)

afaik DA3 is supposed to be a lot more like Origins, so I am actually looking forward to that game and not happy when it will now a) take longer to develope and b) might lack quality - again.

DA2 was an 'ok' game, it kept me entertained, but Origins is - to me - far superiour.

Im sure the DA devs would feel thrilled to be pulled off their pet project to work on tortanic. Just imagine the morale

Yup. Also throwing more people at development project that s late never helps.

This is just pathetic, more they fix, more they broke. Elder Scroll Online needs to come fast.

Titan can't come soon enough.

This is actually really good news, it means EA isn't dumping SWToR yet and are redirecting more resources into improving this game, I'm really glad to hear something in a positive direction.

Can you imagine if the news was about devs being pulled from SWToR to work on another game?

How big of an impact remains to be seen obviously, but at least EA still cares about their investment in ToR.

Edited by Belpheghor

And the Hero Engine is why TESonline will fail.

Hero Engine has been used on few games so far, 2 of them released

1)SWTOR

2) Faxion Online

The latter didnt last even a full year before it closed.

Edited by Adderdin

You know, I can´t put a finger on what exactly it is, but I hate the look of games created in Hero Engine. Absolutely. It´s the same with "The Repopulation" also a game done in Hero Engine. Is it the terrain lighting? The skewed color look, or that everything looks like its made out of cheap plastic or the sub par perfomance? Probably a combination of all of the above.

Hero Engine = Heroic Fail. At least in its current incarnation. I´ll never buy anything based on Hero again, that´s for sure. Dreamworld Engine, Crytek Engine, Unreal3 Engine for the win.

I hope the Devs that are brought over are not outsourced 3rd world people coding for a bowl of rice every day.

Maybe people that are not fat and comfy sitting on their Ivory towers could do a better job, who knows?

Edited by ChazDoit

And the same successes that created Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins and to a lesser extent Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 (depending on your view) can carry over as well, I am simply stoked at the idea of having David Gaider on board if he has indeed switched over.

And I actually liked Dragon Age II, not as good as Origins, but was still a nice tide over.

EA bought Bioware and since then almost all of the team that brought you KOTOR has left. Mostly what they have now is people that worked for Mythic. Yeah, the warhammer guys, lol. The only thing left of Bioware is the freaking name folks.

EA bought Bioware and since then almost all of the team that brought you KOTOR has left. Mostly what they have now is people that worked for Mythic. Yeah, the warhammer guys, lol. The only thing left of Bioware is the freaking name folks.

I heard that BioWare was going downhill, but I never believed it until I played ME3 - biggest let-down of the millennium. We got a good multiplayer, but when you finish the single-player even 1 time, you never play it again. I spent, literally, 6-700 hours on each Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. I spent 40 hours on Mass Effect 3. I bought it at launch, beat the single-player game, never touched it since.

If these types of management decisions we see in SWTOR and the horrible state of ME3 continues, BioWare/EA (whatever you want to call it now) will go bankrupt within 10 years.

Good move I think, I get the impression that Bioware is way behind on getting contentt and patches out to us due to problems, hope this helps them get things caught up and, patch managment flowing like it should.

This is interesting news. BioWare could have hired new devs to come in and work on the project, but they've decided to bring in an experienced team. I like it.

But I also would like to see Dragon Age III. I'd give the franchise one more shot, since I was so pleased with DA:O.

I whole heartily agree, but in Bioware's case you need two content patches to make up for one that other games release.

First, the initial patch

Second, the patch to fix the game breaking bugs of the first patch.

Welcome to the world of MMOs.

Well, it's an encouraging sign that they aren't going to scale back dev work on TOR. Given the conference call and the comments from the CEO about how Star Wars isn't that big a deal for EA (not even in the top 5), you might have thought they were going to scale back their commitment going forward.

Still, does this guarantee more dev work on TOR or is it just shuffling some people around?

you could be right...

Well, it's an encouraging sign that they aren't going to scale back dev work on TOR. Given the conference call and the comments from the CEO about how Star Wars isn't that big a deal for EA (not even in the top 5), you might have thought they were going to scale back their commitment going forward.

Still, does this guarantee more dev work on TOR or is it just shuffling some people around?

Well if you read the history of the development of this project, BioWare: Austin hired a lot of new talent fresh out of University...I'm sure these people are talented, but probably lack the experience. Bringing in an experienced team seems like an answer to this dilemma...to give the young team more assistance.

You know, I can´t put a finger on what exactly it is, but I hate the look of games created in Hero Engine. Absolutely. It´s the same with "The Repopulation" also a game done in Hero Engine. Is it the terrain lighting? The skewed color look, or that everything looks like its made out of cheap plastic or the sub par perfomance? Probably a combination of all of the above.

Hero Engine = Heroic Fail. At least in its current incarnation. I´ll never buy anything based on Hero again, that´s for sure. Dreamworld Engine, Crytek Engine, Unreal3 Engine for the win.

The statement is a bit ironic.....you know because you are playing SWTOR.

It was a good game, people were just angry about the lack of content, only being able to be a human and the homophobes were angry about Anders, so it led to negative over-all outlook on the game, but all in all, DA:O was the better game of the two in almost every aspect, the only way in which I think DAII was better was simply the dialogue, was far improved over the first, mainly due to the main character having a Voice.

I agree that combat and the voicing was good. But the same maps being used over and over again was a rushed product. And the fact that we really were not equipping characters like we used to do. Bioware was trying to go mainstream instead of catering to the core. And it showed big time. While, I played it through two or three times, I really don't want to say it was a good game. It was an ok game. If I didn't get to look at Isabella a lot, I would really degrade it :D

The devs that were meant to work on the third instalment of the Dragon Age series have instead been moved to increase the overall resources to help develop content and fix bugs for SWTOR.

Could this mean quicker updates or a wider array of content in the same amount of time?

Link: http://www.develop-online.net/news/40736/Pachter-Dragon-Age-3-devs-loaned-to-SWTOR

No it means the old devs was fired.

Mythic is handling PvP, A Dragon Age team would probably move onto the much more storyline side of things.

Exactly, I think this move is to help push storyline content out faster. They probably want to keep the "base" satisfied with some updates in the near future.