Make Recruit Gear a Requirement to Queue

NDiggy

After getting a new character to 50 and purchasing recruit gear (aswell as 2 pieces of BM with saved WZ comms), whilst not much, helps alot. People saying 'let people play their own way - play for fun!', I can't see how you can have fun if you spend the majority of the WZ in the spawn point after literally blowing up.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a freakin n00b when it comes to pvp ability, and I think having at least 1 piece of recruit gear required to queue for a level 50 match is a good thing. It's not unreasonable to expect a fresh level 50 to purchase recruit armor to help themselves and their teammates to have a better chance at success. I was in a WZ last night with a level 50 sorc that had 10k hps...he died so many times the Konami code wouldn't have helped him. Having the gear wouldn't have kept him from dying but he'd at least be able to survive longer and contribute more to help the team instead of being instagibbed repeatedly. That kind of experience is what can drive players away from pvp and ultimately away from the game if they can't enjoy playing.

Its bad enough I have to wait 30 minutes to an hour just to get in a Warzone. But once I get in I get stuck with people who can't even be bothered to buy the Recruit set before they queue up for a WZ and then get steamrolled and are nothing but a liability to the team. Make it so you have to have at least the Recruit set before you can queue up for WZs.

Because recruit gear makes a huge difference. Instead of dying in 4 seconds I die in 5. Recruit gear is still pretty useless. They should raise the warzone comm. cap, so we can have more BM gear when we reach 50, instead of having to buy adrenals/medpacs.

Edited by lpsmash

Because recruit gear makes a huge difference. Instead of dying in 4 seconds I die in 5. Recruit gear is still pretty useless. They should raise the warzone comm. cap, so we can have more BM gear when we reach 50, instead of having to buy adrenals/medpacs.

That's wrong, Recruit gear gives you 896 expertise in total. that's about 15% worths of dmg reduction from enemy players and 15% damage increased against enemy players. That's gonna let you live a lot more than 1 second.

Oh and the jump from recruit gear to BM is actually quite small, you gain 268 expertise from the jump to BM.

It's also disrespectful to think that people who don't buy the recruit gear are actually trying to hurt their teammates... I'm not going to lie, when I hit 50 I had barely 80k left after buying my skills for my rotation... Recruit gear is pretty expensive for a freshly hit 50. And keep in mind even if you waited 30 minutes to an hour to days, that person has waited JUST AS LONG AS YOU, and not only that, you were in the exact same boat as he or she was.

I've been there. But you can make about 200k in a day just by doing dailies. I understand why someone doesn't want to buy the recruit gear, but honestly, it really hurts a team when 2 or 3 guys are 12 or 13k health with 0 expertise.

That's right. That's what I said. You got it. You can read. I said "elitists" as someone calling elitists out on how hard they're coming down on people that don't agree with them on the recruit armor issue. I came down on people because they were coming down on people for not agreeing with them. That doesn't make me elitist, because I don't treat people like elitists treat people when it comes to PvP. I just call them out on it. So congrats, you got it.

This whole idea of "do it my way or leave" is just stupid and incredibly narrow minded. Like I've said several times already, no one's apologizing to you people for not falling in line with your stupid idea. Regardless of benefits that may come from it or consequences that may also come, there are people who either can't or won't do what you want them to just to accommodate you, and their reasons are their own. You don't have to understand. You just have to accept it.

So yeah, I called the elitists elitists.

EDIT: And just to clarify, I'm not calling EVERYONE supporting the idea elitist. There are some of the pro-recruit armor people that are just defending the point. I mean the people who imply the rest are useless. The holier-than-thous...the high-and-mighty...you know, the "do it my way or you're nothing" people. Press back a few times and re-read. You'll find 'em.

Edited by -Requiem-

I do not have any interest in PvP. I am currently doing PvP as a chore, so that I can get a larger barrel in order to reach the DPS needed to beat the rage timers that will allow me to have a chacne at a weapon that will improve my DPS.

I have done the dailies in order to gear up enough to run the HMs that allowed me to do storymode EV, so that I could eventually do KP. Once a week I have a 1 in 4 chance to get a weapon that does less damage than the weapon I WILL earn in 4-6 HOURS of PVP.

I am not going to spend 300+K on gear that I will only use for 6 hours.

If expertise were 80+% of the benefit gained from PvP I might agree with requiring requiring players to remove 10 pieces of Columi, to equip recruit gear, to PvP; but since 2-3 weeks of PvP will result in PvPers out gearing me for raids I will have to firmly disagree.

Edited by Myschief

I've read most of this thread, and I can understand why folks of both sides take the point of view they do. I did have a couple questions I'm curious to hear folks thoughts on though.

I'll state from the outset that I currently only have 2 BM pieces on my new 50, and only a belt and bracers of the recruit stuff. My reason for that is that the BM boots and gloves I got, I liked the look of. Belt and bracers I notice little to no change on the look of my character. If I could strip the mods off the recurit stuffs and put it on the custom pieces I like the looks of, I would do that. To my knowledge, I cannot do that, so I am waiting until I get the BM pieces which I can strip down. As an aside, I currently play Republic on K. Rift... (can't remember the last warzone, 1-49 included, where we started 8 vs 8... I have however played many 3 vs 8, but that's another matter and another thread) where wait time is often an hour+ and I can count on one hand the number of matches that started after midnight.

What I'm curious about is what folks think should be done about people like myself? I should not be allowed to pvp at all until I get at least a full recruit set? If that is the case, I agree with others that it should be flat out given to us (though I'd not be happy given that I like the current look I have and would have to lose it, just to be able to keep playing).

Or perhaps a separate queue for folks that don't have at least full recruit? That may work on some servers... I'd hate to see the wait times on mine once a small population is once again split.

Like I said, I only have 2 BM peices... yet I kept my stock of wz comms at or near 2000 from lvl 40 on. I wonder at the dev thinking behind restricting the BM item purchase to only those of lvl 50. Only usable by lvl 50's, certainly, but only obtainable at 50? If not for that, I'd have had a full set of BM with the look I wanted once I hit 50.

The only legitmate reason for not having full recruit gear is that you're too cheap, though don't expect sympathy if that's your excuse. Yes it's your $15/month but you're really hurting yourself on top of hurting your team. If not getting Recruit gear somehow gives you an advantage at the cost of the team, I can at least see why you'd do it. With queue times as bad as people claim, you really want to optimize every chance you have to win a WZ since winning rewards quite a bit more commendations than losing. If your server still has nonstop queues then sure go ahead and lose your way to WH gear, but usually the guys who didn't buy Recruit gear would later complain about how WH gear is too hard to get because queues are nonexistent. Yet they're actively lowering the chance of winning a WZ despite knowing that WZs are rare. How does that make sense?

What I'm curious about is what folks think should be done about people like myself? I should not be allowed to pvp at all until I get at least a full recruit set? If that is the case, I agree with others that it should be flat out given to us (though I'd not be happy given that I like the current look I have and would have to lose it, just to be able to keep playing).

I'd be happy with you getting your own queue, although you should be aware that it would never pop so you'd have to get Recruit gear if you actually wanted to PVP (and gear imbalance would be even bigger in this mythical queue as high-end PVE gear would give you a huge edge over fresh 50s.)

The cost is small compared to the cost of, for example, pulling the mods and putting them into a piece of custom & augmented gear. You can also happily give the gear to a companion after you no longer need it and it will be better than what they are probably wearing when you hit 50, so it isn't just a short term fix for you.

If you think the situation with look stupid is bad now you should have played Endgame back before armouring mods could be extracted. We all had to look stupid or lose a lot, we all hated it but made the sacrifice for the good of the team. Now you can at least take the BM chest and put that into something orange and mostly control your look.

No, it shouldn't be given away any more than Speeder licenses or skills should be. It is just one of those 'essential' levellng up purchases. You should have more than enough for it when you hit 50 unless you splurged on a bunch of stuff you don't need off the GTN. The gear is for your own good. You'll make more friends with it. You'll get more medals with it. You'll win more with it. Ultimately, you'll get the good gear with it more quickly. I'm a healer, if you are in Recruit gear I'll try my hardest to keep you on your feet. If you aren't it is a herculean task and so I'll just save other people instead and you'll spend half the game bored, frustrated and staring at the spawn timer.

I do not have any interest in PvP. I am currently doing PvP as a chore, so that I can get a larger barrel in order to reach the DPS needed to beat the rage timers that will allow me to have a chacne at a weapon that will improve my DPS.

I have done the dailies in order to gear up enough to run the HMs that allowed me to do storymode EV, so that I could eventually do KP. Once a week I have a 1 in 4 chance to get a weapon that does less damage than the weapon I WILL earn in 4-6 HOURS of PVP.

I am not going to spend 300+K on gear that I will only use for 6 hours.

If expertise were 80+% of the benefit gained from PvP I might agree with requiring requiring players to remove 10 pieces of Columi, to equip recruit gear, to PvP; but since 2-3 weeks of PvP will result in PvPers out gearing me for raids I will have to firmly disagree.

Then you need to be asking for PvE t2 & t3 weapons to be more accessible, not coming into our content sphere and expecting us to carry you. Its like me turning up to a raid in greens and using the excuse "im dont want to gear up, im only here for the speederbike drop".

I understand your frustration (my gf really only likes PvE but she had to PvP to get a BM weapon to help her progress), but being frank, you are a liability to your team and we dont want to carry you.

Ask for fixes to your playstyle, dont come and burden mine.

That's wrong, Recruit gear gives you 896 expertise in total. that's about 15% worths of dmg reduction from enemy players and 15% damage increased against enemy players. That's gonna let you live a lot more than 1 second.

Oh and the jump from recruit gear to BM is actually quite small, you gain 268 expertise from the jump to BM.

Its actually closer to 18% dmg buff and 16% mitigation buff and just below 10% healing.

But I doubt the expertise haters will get the point anyway. Most of the probably think blue = bad, even when the blue is better (except for set bonuses) than the T1 of last "season".

Its like me turning up to a raid in greens and using the excuse "im dont want to gear up, im only here for the speederbike drop".

you are a liability to your team and we dont want to carry you..

Its not like showing up in greens, its like showing up to raids in champ gear (an eyebrow raiser, but nothing to be overly concerned about for normal runs). Someone would toss them a END stim, but that's about it.

You carry recruit geared players PvP because they are fodder for opposition. As soon as someone looks at them they die. Players don't even bother guarding/healing them, they are ignored by their own teammates more time than not. The gear doesn't make them competitive @ PvP, so why buy it besides to cater to other players feelings that they are somehow being "wronged".

Its not like showing up in greens, its like showing up to raids in champ gear (an eyebrow raiser, but nothing to be overly concerned about for normal runs). Someone would toss them a END stim, but that's about it.

You carry recruit geared players PvP because they are fodder for opposition. As soon as someone looks at them they die. Players don't even bother guarding/healing them, they are ignored by their own teammates more time than not. The gear doesn't make them competitive @ PvP, so why buy it besides to cater to other players feelings that they are somehow being "wronged".

Don't buy it, I don't care anymore. Play naked for all I care.

Then you need to be asking for PvE t2 & t3 weapons to be more accessible, not coming into our content sphere and expecting us to carry you. Its like me turning up to a raid in greens and using the excuse "im dont want to gear up, im only here for the speederbike drop".

I understand your frustration (my gf really only likes PvE but she had to PvP to get a BM weapon to help her progress), but being frank, you are a liability to your team and we dont want to carry you.

Ask for fixes to your playstyle, dont come and burden mine.

LOL "Your" content sphere. The arrogance. And sorry, but this "burden" to your playstyle is a result of him playing HIS game that HE pays for HIS way. That's part of the whole MM part of MMORPG. You can either stay in the WZ or exit the WZ. Or you could get a premade together. Those are your choices. Helping or hurting the team is irrelevant at this point. You have no right to tell people not to PvP just because you don't like the way they do it.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing. I still haven't heard a single person address the whole "You guys don't want less than recruit geared's on your team, but you sure don't mind stomping the crap outta them when they're on the opposing team." What's up with that? Kinda double standard-ish. If it's opposing factions, then who cares? But what about when for example on the server I play on where one faction greatly outnumbers the other and your teams goes up against a same-factioned team? You could still be PUG'd with any of them at any time. Better fix this by writing to BioWare to tell them to make sure whenever you queue up not to put any "less-than-recruited's" on your team. Ridiculous.

Edited by -Requiem-

Don't buy it, I don't care anymore. Play naked for all I care.

I participated in play naked day back in Feb because even though gear is there, it really shouldn't be in PvP :D.

Cliche of the Day: Don't hate the player, hate the game.:cool:

LOL "Your" content sphere. The arrogance. And sorry, but this "burden" to your playstyle is a result of him playing HIS game that HE pays for HIS way. That's part of the whole MM part of MMORPG. You can either stay in the WZ or exit the WZ. Or you could get a premade together. Those are your choices. Helping or hurting the team is irrelevant at this point. You have no right to tell people not to PvP just because you don't like the way they do it.

EDIT: Oh, and another thing. I still haven't heard a single person address the whole "You guys don't want less than recruit geared's on your team, but you sure don't mind stomping the crap outta them when they're on the opposing team." What's up with that? Kinda double standard-ish. If it's opposing factions, then who cares? But what about when for example on the server I play on where one faction greatly outnumbers the other and your teams goes up against a same-factioned team? You could still be PUG'd with any of them at any time. Better fix this by writing to BioWare to tell them to make sure whenever you queue up not to put any "less-than-recruited's" on your team. Ridiculous.

I really get a kick out of how selfish and entitled your posts are, yet you think everyone here is being an elitist. Why does it even matter whose team the person in greens and blues is on? I want competitive games. Blow outs aren't entertaining no matter which end of them you're on. You're really stretching if you're trying to make that a point, which by the way I did address when someone else brought it up earlier in the thread.

When people don't wear PvP gear, they make their teams less competitive. Making a conscious decision to eschew PvP gear is about the most selfish thing a player can do because it only hurts the team, and it certainly can't be helping your PvP experience as an individual either.

Gear requirements are part of MMOs whether they're straight up gear checks, or more passive ones like enrage timers on boss fights. If you can't deal with the "gear" aspect of MMOs why do you play? Please explain to me why you would want to actively lower your ability to succeed in PvP by not at least wearing the basic Recruit set? That has nothing to do with play style. Play style comes down to choice of class, spec and the way you play your character, not the gear you simply refuse to wear.

This isn't a war on "baddies", player skill isn't really something they have any control over. What they can control to an extent is the gear they wear, and the Recruit set is available to everyone. There is no excuse not to wear it. You only hurt yourself and your team when you don't.

Expertise is not all. BM gear provides more primary stats such as strength, willpower, endurance and more secondary stats such as, crit, surge, accuracy, expertise.

Someone in BM gear has more hp, takes less damage and deals more damage. I may have exxagerated a bit, but the gear grind is quite long and even BM isn't that good cause you have the same (or I think even bigger) gap between BM and war hero, which is even harder to get. But those who are full stocked on war hero can't complain

Can't imagine how gearing up an alt will be painful.

plz the more sensible thing for bioware to do is remove the 2000 warzone limit or let u buy BM gear before u hit lvl 50

i mean its not like u can wear it before lvl 50 and it would mean people like me who planned to make my smuggler a pvp character could go right into pvp with it rather than waste time on dalies just to buy recruit gear that ill use for about a day.

[quote name='L-RANDLE']Its not like showing up in greens, its like showing up to raids in champ gear (an eyebrow raiser, but nothing to be overly concerned about for normal runs). Someone would toss them a END stim, but that's about it. [U]You carry recruit geared players PvP because they are fodder for opposition[/U]. As soon as someone looks at them they die. Players don't even bother guarding/healing them, they are ignored by their own teammates more time than not. The gear doesn't make them competitive @ PvP, so why buy it besides to cater to other players feelings that they are somehow being "wronged".[/QUOTE] That must just be on your server or with the people you play with cause my Shadow has a mix of champion and recruit gear and he always gets heals and help when needed. Not to mention I still prevent caps, cap objectives and solo BM/WH geared opponents. So sorry. Gear isn't the only factor. I have "l2p" and do quite fine in the 50 bracket. No "carrying" here.

I really get a kick out of how selfish and entitled your posts are, yet you think everyone here is being an elitist. Why does it even matter whose team the person in greens and blues is on? I want competitive games. Blow outs aren't entertaining no matter which end of them you're on. You're really stretching if you're trying to make that a point, which by the way I did address when someone else brought it up earlier in the thread.

When people don't wear PvP gear, they make their teams less competitive. Making a conscious decision to eschew PvP gear is about the most selfish thing a player can do because it only hurts the team, and it certainly can't be helping your PvP experience as an individual either.

Gear requirements are part of MMOs whether they're straight up gear checks, or more passive ones like enrage timers on boss fights. If you can't deal with the "gear" aspect of MMOs why do you play? Please explain to me why you would want to actively lower your ability to succeed in PvP by not at least wearing the basic Recruit set? That has nothing to do with play style. Play style comes down to choice of class, spec and the way you play your character, not the gear you simply refuse to wear.

This isn't a war on "baddies", player skill isn't really something they have any control over. What they can control to an extent is the gear they wear, and the Recruit set is available to everyone. There is no excuse not to wear it. You only hurt yourself and your team when you don't.

Yeah, so if you stop trying to simply pick apart my previous posts and actually read them, you'd see that I've already answered most if not all your questions to me.

But whatever, lemme rehash for the narrow-minded. There are too many reasons a person could potentially go into 50 PvP (without at least recruit gear) for you to just generalize in such an enormous way by flat-out calling it a selfish gesture. And you can't know what they all are, because you're not those people. Re-read my previous posts for details.

I do agree with you about wanting competition (because yes, close matches are more fun than one-sided ones), but not to the extreme that I want everybody to wear at least BM gear. And yes, there are ways to achieve this (see the dude who posted right before this one). For a change of pace, you could actually help your team mates out instead of whining and posting on the forums about how the "green and blues" are ruining your PvP fun. Compensate! Since you can't control the way they think about the situation, you might as well either adapt, compensate, or change your outlook, 'cuz at this point that's all you can really do. Which brings me to my next rehash.

I called certain people elitists, because instead of taking the time to help people out in PvP matches, so they'll fit your definition of "on par," they come onto the forums to complain and demand that everybody get BM'd or don't PvP. It's pretty self-centered to be a cross section of the entire mass of people and then to tell the rest of that entire mass to do it your way or don't do it at all. So LOL@ the self righteous calling me selfish. Seriously, this --> xD

Edited by -Requiem-