Make Recruit Gear a Requirement to Queue

NDiggy

The irony of this thread is that even if you do get the recruit set, then you're heckled for only having the recruit gear. If you're only BM, you get crap for not having WH :rolleyes:

This game seems to attract a ton of gear whores :eek:

There's truth in what you say. However, the cause of it is that the developers think it's fine to have a matchmaking system(is there even a hint of one) that puts recruits against full war hero augmented internet heroes and that just makes the recruit a liability to the rest of the group. I'm not saying it's right to berate people for not having really good gear, I'm just saying why it happens.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The irony of this thread is that even if you do get the recruit set, then you're heckled for only having the recruit gear. If you're only BM, you get crap for not having WH :rolleyes:

This game seems to attract a ton of gear whores :eek:

Agreed. As a relatively new 50 who just transferred servers recently and hadn't done PvP for a little while before that, sometimes I find the people in PvP warzones cool enough, but occasionally people start whining at me "get recruit gear!!!111". Now, it would be great if I had the credits to waste, but I don't. After all, why bother with recruit gear when you're so close to saving up enough for much better gear?

Not to mention that half the time my issue hasn't been gear at all, but lag from a weak wireless signal, which I've since found a way to deal with. Whining at people to get crappy gear solves nothing. As someone said earlier, as well, it reduces my main stats, so I'm not going to waste credits or commendations on it which would be better spent elsewhere, just for the sake of an extra set of gear for PvP when I'm on a PvE server. Why spend most of my credits or commendations on gear that lowers my stats? It doesn't make any sense. I shouldn't be expected to survive being hammered on by a horde of enemies with melee attacks without dying anyway. Some characters are not built for that.

It's not really an issue now, is it?

Sure it is, because honestly it's much better to take the free credits instead.

Look, in full recruit gear you WILL still get *****. Period. The difference is that you will have the ILLUSION of being more of a help to your team. At most you'll survive an extra gcd (maybe) vs just rocking your PvE gear. Meanwhile you're doing laughable damage that's unable to burst down any BH/WH augmented target when your team needs to you.

TLDR: Your going to be a drag on your team either way, take the free creds and spend them on augments/kits for your BM gear. People will hate you for it, but they'll hate you in your recruit gear anyways too. And unless your BM gear is fully augmented now they won't hate you but they'll treat you like someone working a minimum wage job who saved up enough to go to a fancy dinner "Ugh, look at the white trash at that table, how'd HE get in here?".

Agreed. As a relatively new 50 who just transferred servers recently and hadn't done PvP for a little while before that, sometimes I find the people in PvP warzones cool enough, but occasionally people start whining at me "get recruit gear!!!111". Now, it would be great if I had the credits to waste, but I don't. After all, why bother with recruit gear when you're so close to saving up enough for much better gear?

Not to mention that half the time my issue hasn't been gear at all, but lag from a weak wireless signal, which I've since found a way to deal with. Whining at people to get crappy gear solves nothing. As someone said earlier, as well, it reduces my main stats, so I'm not going to waste credits or commendations on it which would be better spent elsewhere, just for the sake of an extra set of gear for PvP when I'm on a PvE server. Why spend most of my credits or commendations on gear that lowers my stats? It doesn't make any sense. I shouldn't be expected to survive being hammered on by a horde of enemies with melee attacks without dying anyway. Some characters are not built for that.

Lol. People like you, I swear... "After all, why bother with recruit gear when you're so close to saving up enough for much better gear?" Um, because it's better than your leveling blues? It's better than Columi too, if you're worried at all about PvP performance, so go do one day's worth of dailies and pick up the gear that will only help you in PvP.

Oh wait, as of 1.3 you don't have the "I'm poor" excuse; go to the PvP terminal, get the recruit set of your choice for free. The end.

Lol. People like you, I swear... "After all, why bother with recruit gear when you're so close to saving up enough for much better gear?" Um, because it's better than your leveling blues? It's better than Columi too, if you're worried at all about PvP performance, so go do one day's worth of dailies and pick up the gear that will only help you in PvP.

Oh wait, as of 1.3 you don't have the "I'm poor" excuse; go to the PvP terminal, get the recruit set of your choice for free. The end.

"People like you"...who take this all so personally and decide you can be condescending and judge others as people based on their not getting certain gear, just make me want to refuse for the sake of ticking you off. Ugh. That still doesn't change the fact that BM > Recruit, in any case.

I doubt any free recruit gear will match BM gear if even the recruit gear you pay for doesn't (you conveniently ignored where I said that it actually lowered my main stats).

Take the credits. People in recruit gear are wasted team slots just as much as someone in raid gear

Rakata and up is debatable and depends on whether they're healing or not. Recruit and the BM piece(s) you got from saving comms puts you at what, 900-1000 expertise? How do you say no to +20% damage and proportional damage reduction?

Let's say you're fully kitted out with 2000 main stat (best case scenario for raid gear). Dropping to 1200 main stat drops 160 damage from all attacks (0.20 x 800) but the expertise adds 20% damage to all attacks. The value of that is up to you, but it also drops your health from ~18k to ~13k. Pretty big drop, but you're taking ~82% damage. 18,000 x 0.82 = 14760.

So it's basically a wash if you're fully kitted out in high-end raid gear as DPS, sure. The argument for PvE gear is stronger for healing because of the lower % bonus, but when people say "Get recruit gear" they are generally talking about fresh 50s who hop into WZs, at which point it's been shown that Recruit, in PvP, is quite close to high-end raid gear. And you get it for free.

But keep rocking those leveling blues and keep getting frustrated, I guess.

"People like you"...who take this all so personally and decide you can be condescending and judge others as people based on their not getting certain gear, just make me want to refuse for the sake of ticking you off. Ugh. That still doesn't change the fact that BM > Recruit, in any case.

I doubt any free recruit gear will match BM gear if even the recruit gear you pay for doesn't (you conveniently ignored where I said that it actually lowered my main stats).

..... Obviously recruit gear doesn't match BM gear, does Columi match Rakata? That's a ridiculous statement.

Take the credits. People in recruit gear are wasted team slots just as much as someone in raid gear

110% wrong. you NEED expertise in pvp. if you go without it, youll be back here creating another thread whining about how much better WH/BM geared opponents are than fresh 50s.

if you choose to ignore using the FREE intro pvp set, youre the kind of person who rides a specially sized bus to school. 15% expertise is better than 0% expertise, 100% of the time

Yeah, see my post previous to that... The fact that you think I was arguing Recruit was better than BM in the first place boggles my mind...

Nah, I know you knew that. I was just reflecting your own condescending attitude right back. That's more of the problem than the advice itself is. This does beg the question, after all, of why you'd then be telling me to get recruit gear INSTEAD of BM gear, having established that BM gear is better.

Nah, I know you knew that. I was just reflecting your own condescending attitude right back. That's more of the problem than the advice itself is. This does beg the question, after all, of why you'd then be telling me to get recruit gear INSTEAD of BM gear, having established that BM gear is better.

You realize I don't give two ***** about what attitude I presented my math and facts with, right? Ignore them all you want, for whatever reasons you want, it still makes you wrong.

You realize I don't give two ***** about what attitude I presented my math and facts with, right? Ignore them all you want, for whatever reasons you want, it still makes you wrong.

Keep telling yourself that. All your need to flame people shows is your own insecurity. Oh and now you say I'm wrong about being better off getting BM gear---bit of a contradiction from your last post!

Keep telling yourself that. All your need to flame people shows is your own insecurity. Oh and now you say I'm wrong about being better off getting BM gear---bit of a contradiction from your last post!

Referencing facts and numbers and the fact that you think PvE gear is better than Recruit gear has nothing to do with BM gear, which you brought up, nor am I insecure in any way.

Like I said, keep ignoring math for whatever reason you want, but don't expect anything except other people disliking your presence in Warzones until you eventually get expertise piece-by-piece. I have a secret for you though: BM gear lowers your stats versus high-end raid gear as well, does that mean you should be wearing Campaign stuff in Warzones?

110% wrong. you NEED expertise in pvp. if you go without it, youll be back here creating another thread whining about how much better WH/BM geared opponents are than fresh 50s.

if you choose to ignore using the FREE intro pvp set, youre the kind of person who rides a specially sized bus to school. 15% expertise is better than 0% expertise, 100% of the time

Actually, you should take the credits if you are a regular PVPer.

You will of already saved 3500 ranked warzone comms and 2000 normal comms, so can get 4 BM pieces the moment you hit 50. You can then fill in the gaps by buying recruit pieces. You will then have some spare cash left over, rather than having 4 redundant pieces of recruit gear.

The recruit gear option, rather than the cash token is really only for PVE players wanting to have a go at PVP, enabling them to be at least more competitive than wearing their Rakata gear.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

the fact that you think PvE gear is better than Recruit gear

Nice imaginary fact. What I said was I'm better off getting BM gear, and that the recruit gear would mean lower main stats. Think---if I'm going to get BM gear anyway, having the recruit gear won't serve much of a purpose.

nor am I insecure in any way.

Denial! Or I suppose you might just get off on needlessly being a *****, but insecurity seems more likely.

Like I said, keep ignoring math for whatever reason you want, but don't expect anything except other people disliking your presence in Warzones

Actually those who whine about it are relatively few.

BM gear lowers your stats versus high-end raid gear as well, does that mean you should be wearing Campaign stuff in Warzones?

Naturally I should wear whatever boosts my stats, not lowers them. Based on my choices at the moment, though, getting the BM gear makes the most sense. If I were close to getting gear that was better than BM gear (no I'm not saying high-end recruit gear is, but obviously there's even better gear), there'd be no point spending it all on the weaker gear.

Edited by BradTheImpaler

Rakata and up is debatable and depends on whether they're healing or not. Recruit and the BM piece(s) you got from saving comms puts you at what, 900-1000 expertise? How do you say no to +20% damage and proportional damage reduction?

Let's say you're fully kitted out with 2000 main stat (best case scenario for raid gear). Dropping to 1200 main stat drops 160 damage from all attacks (0.20 x 800) but the expertise adds 20% damage to all attacks. The value of that is up to you, but it also drops your health from ~18k to ~13k. Pretty big drop, but you're taking ~82% damage. 18,000 x 0.82 = 14760.

So it's basically a wash if you're fully kitted out in high-end raid gear as DPS, sure. The argument for PvE gear is stronger for healing because of the lower % bonus, but when people say "Get recruit gear" they are generally talking about fresh 50s who hop into WZs, at which point it's been shown that Recruit, in PvP, is quite close to high-end raid gear. And you get it for free.

Since you apparently can't read.

Since you apparently can't read.

Yeah, definitely not, which is how I'm able to read and type responses to you. See, you're only proving my point further about your insecurity and/or pathological need to flame. Oh, by the way, I was pretty clear that I don't think PvE/raid gear is better...which is why I'm getting BM gear!!!! See? Simple.

Edited by BradTheImpaler

Actually when I comment on how WH/BM are much better than fresh 50s I AM referring to 50s in recruit gear. It's pointless gear. You WILL NOT kill my WH in your recruit gear. I WILL NOT kill your WH in my recruit gear. For every RG person you have on your team you are gimping your team by an exponential amount. Same as with guys in PvE gear. Either way they are wasted slots.

Actually my opinion comes from both ends of the spectrum. I have two WH's so far, just got my 3rd toon (after the server merger debacle) up to 50. Snagged the full set of recruit gear specifically because it was free. Now normally what I did was window the game, shrink it and drag it into the corner of my monitor while standing at a node "guarding" it and watch a movie. This is after actually TRYING to help my team while doing the initial BM gear grind for the first toon and realizing it's just a lesson in frustration as you can't do anything.

So now I have recruit gear (FULL SET!) + BM weapon, offhand, belt/bracers (from saving while levelling). I get into WZ. Still do negligable damage and still get blown up like a level trash mob.

When I play on my WH geared toons (full augments on my OP, about halfway there on my Mara) and someone in recruit gear attacks me I ignore them. Flat out. Unless all other enemies are dead I can simply face tank them like the gnats they are. If they attack a teammate I will simply let my hots outheal them while they curbstomp the RG annoyance and remain healing my teammates vs the REAL opponents: IE - guys in augmented BM and WH gear.

RG is only an illusion of competitiveness.

Yeah, definitely not, which is how I'm able to read and type responses to you. See, you're only proving my point further about your insecurity and/or pathological need to flame.

And you're only proving how willfully dense you can be. You've had zero counter-arguments save for random insults, which don't exactly help your "Staying in PvE gear over going to get my Recruit set so I can jump to BM" argument. I mean, get the free Recruit and replace what pieces you want with BM pieces... The only thing you're improving from PvE to BM is expertise anyway, but again, you're clearly refusing to accept anything I say and 320k credits is somehow more useful to you than 900 expertise =p

Nice imaginary fact. What I said was I'm better off getting BM gear, and that the recruit gear would mean lower main stats. Think---if I'm going to get BM gear anyway, having the recruit gear won't serve much of a purpose.

What is the point stating the obvious? A blind man knowns that BM is better than recruit. But Recruit is better than any peice with zero expertise on it.

Actually those who whine about it are relatively few.

This is probably because we will be inspecting you, and thinking, "oh damn, another know-it-all coming to have a go, let him get on with it, we will try to enjoy ourselves despite his selfishness in being a self imposed weaklink to the team." I personally have given up even trying to convince people it is in theirs and their teams best interest to maximise their expertise to whatever they can

Naturally I should wear whatever boosts my stats, not lowers them. Based on my choices at the moment, though, getting the BM gear makes the most sense. If I were close to getting gear that was better than BM gear (no I'm not saying high-end recruit gear is, but obviously there's even better gear), there'd be no point spending it all on the weaker gear.

No. Naturally, within a PVP environment, you should wear whatever gear boosts your expertise, period.

Remember, PVP is not about 1 vs 1, it is team Vs team. A recruit geared person can do little damage to a WH geared person, but he can annoy the healer, he can help guard objectives, take part in huttball etc, it is not about killing people one V one.

Edited by ThorgrimLutgen

And you're only proving how willfully dense you can be. You've had zero counter-arguments save for random insults,

You insult me from the start and expect me not to respond with insults? I see. That's not really how it works, bud.

which don't exactly help your "Staying in PvE gear over going to get my Recruit set so I can jump to BM" argument. I mean, get the free Recruit and replace what pieces you want with BM pieces... The only thing you're improving from PvE to BM is expertise anyway, but again, you're clearly refusing to accept anything I say and 320k credits is somehow more useful to you than 900 expertise =p

Yet again you fail to show why I should spend on recruit gear, or that there's nothing better I could do with thousands of free credits than get gear I won't be using once I have BM gear anyway.