Tauntaun Hoth Mystery

Jenemi

This in turn leads me to think about the HIghmount Ridge Wampa some more. Other than the ice ferns, is it the only significant thing that has been added to Hoth in 1.2? Surely there must be a reason. If the wampa is not directly involved, maybe it's just intended to show us that such summons exist?

Since someone before said we should be specific on what we tried, i'll comment on what I have tried with the wampa and the 2 young ones. I tried taking off my weapons and attacked them with my fist (this may have been more for fun... lol). I tried killing the big one before the 2 adds. I tried letting them kill me (I was too high lvl) as well. Tried to also use the device on the young wampas. All failed. :-( I did notice the big one knocks you back hard and FAR. However she would only do it when I didnt have my back facing the wall. I was thinking of going back and reposition myself and see if she would knock me back to a different unreachable ledge. However I don't think there is one...

But yea, I agree. There has to be more to the wampa with the 2 young ones. The other has a point - its a champion and drops lots of custom loot. Thats incentive enough. But the other one just doesn't quite have a point yet...

Edited by SillyTurtle

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read through this entire post and the only thing that hasn't been confirmed is the frightened tauntaun that runs away. An earlier post said they found it, but it ran away and didn't give coords. Zoeller said someone found it but didn't capture it.

Could someone please post coordinates for the frightened tauntaun?

Let's get someone with a jerky buff out there and see what happens!

I completely agree with this.

From what Zoeller stated in his post, I'm pretty sure he simply means that someone had reached the last 'trigger' but unable to fathom it. What I think would make perfect sense is to get this TaunTaun to follow you (probably with Jerky buff and, possibly, another one as well) and lead it TO the space center, which would in turn trigger an event in which you have to use the NVCSSC to capture the Taunlet (probably running to its mother).

And remember what someone else said. The main factor of half of the vanity pet searches is TIME. The orobird, you need to sit underneath the solar panels for quite some time, or at least long enough that someone can't just stumble across it. Stand near this TaunTaun with jerky buff/jerky in inventory and wait. This would also be the reason as to why nobody has merely 'stumbled' across the right TaunTaun, because you're not supposed to. You have to do something to know that it is the right one.

If I had the coordinates to that TaunTaun (sorry if they're already posted). I'd down my jerky to try it probably.

Edited by TheCeleb

I completely agree with this.

From what Zoeller stated in his post, I'm pretty sure he simply means that someone had reached the last 'trigger' but unable to fathom it. What I think would make perfect sense is to get this TaunTaun to follow you (probably with Jerky buff and, possibly, another one as well) and lead it TO the space center, which would in turn trigger an event in which you have to use the NVCSSC to capture the Taunlet (probably running to its mother).

If I had the coordinates to that TaunTaun (sorry if they're already posted). I'd down my jerky to try it probably.

The issues is I think somewhere back in the mass of posts it was mentioned once and the poster couldn't remember where. I agree that if this "Frightened Tauntaun" exists it's something to investigate but someone will have to re-find it. I spent a couple hours running around the highmount ridge area last night (No jerky though as I don't have liver and no one selling liver or jerky on the GTN) and couldn't find anything new.

I think opposite:D

It doesn't says they didn't have it. What if they had both of them (buff and the NVSCCS) + jerky intact in bag, and still unable to capture...?

We're just too much stucked in this theory i bet;)

If you want to be completely accurate about what he said it was that "the tauntaun was found, but not captured." He never said taunlet, baby tauntaun, or mother tauntaun. Which really puts us back at square one. If it is a full grown tauntaun, which one and how do we "capture" it.

The issues is I think somewhere back in the mass of posts it was mentioned once and the poster couldn't remember where. I agree that if this "Frightened Tauntaun" exists it's something to investigate but someone will have to re-find it. I spent a couple hours running around the highmount ridge area last night (No jerky though as I don't have liver and no one selling liver or jerky on the GTN) and couldn't find anything new.

I checked both Torhead and Darthhaterdb and there's no reference to any "Frightened Tauntaun" :(

Since someone before said we should be specific on what we tried, i'll comment on what I have tried with the wampa and the 2 young ones. I tried taking off my weapons and attacked them with my fist (this may have been more for fun... lol). I tried killing the big one before the 2 adds. I tried letting them kill me (I was too high lvl) as well. Tried to also use the device on the young wampas. All failed. :-( I did notice the big one knocks you back hard and FAR. However she would only do it when I didnt have my back facing the wall. I was thinking of going back and reposition myself and see if she would knock me back to a different unreachable ledge. However I don't think there is one...

But yea, I agree. There has to be more to the wampa with the 2 young ones. The other has a point - its a champion and drops lots of custom loot. Thats incentive enough. But the other one just doesn't quite have a point yet...

whats the loc on the mother and 2 little ones?

I checked both Torhead and Darthhaterdb and there's no reference to any "Frightened Tauntaun" :(

Data Mining never really works that great, but has anyone found 'Angry TaunTaun'. I have never stumbled across a hostile TaunTaun, and have it auto-attack me. http://www.torhead.com/npc/c2QWsid/angry-tauntaun

This could easily be used for what I mentioned as well above. Get the hostile TaunTaun to follow you (angry because it lost its child) and kite it to somewhere and sap the baby tauntaun that comes running out to its mom.

Edited by TheCeleb

whats the loc on the mother and 2 little ones?

I'm guessing it's the one located at -900, 515. There's a loot box there too. :D

I noted the two little ones first, once slayed, the "Mother" erupts out of the mountain near the loot box. No liver. I think there is some Ice Fern relatively close by down in/near the Imperial location but I couldn't get close enough to find it. All my success with Ice Fern is near the Aurek Spaceport -3085, -1756. I tried find the other two locations noted for Ice Fern, but I need a Garmin on my speeder and Yoda telling me where to go. I'm navigationally challenged.

Let's try to clarify fact from theory:

There has been 1 mention of a Mother Tauntaun. And the person that posted that was not even the person who actually saw it.

There has been mention of a Frightened Tuantaun but no confirmation.

There are no "coords" for these two because no one has offically confirmed in game.

Checking swtor databases does not count as confirmation.

I would ask people please read the thread in order to provide the best feedback, suggestions, and ideas. A lot of ideas have already been proven false by people searching in game with the Jerky item, buff, and NVSCCS.

I really like a suggestion someone brought up a few pages ago.

We are assuming that the Jerky and the NVSCCS are the only items involved. However, there are 3 other special items that can be purchases on Alderaan and Hoth: MGGS, ice thiner and the explosive. Perhaps they play a part.

We are assuming that the Jerky and the NVSCCS are the only items involved. However, there are 3 other special items that can be purchases on Alderaan and Hoth: MGGS, ice thiner and the explosive. Perhaps they play a part.

I bought the ice thinner to and ran around some areas of Hoth looking for equipment or doorway things that it might be used on to thaw some ice, but couldn't find anything. I like the idea though and did not explore all locations it could be used on.

Ice Fern at -2823, 193

OP shows this as confirmed, but two people have tried and it remains unconfirmed.

Ice Fern at -2828, -501

Confirmed, there's a nice path up the mountain just north of the Clabburn Tundra Heroic Area

I do agree with the people that said Zoeller's comment is very vague.

Someone on the internet (of a couple billion people and even more billions of data) found the tauntaun but didn't capture it... Hmmmm... Very vague.

I do think waiting with the buff on might be a good idea... but where would one wait?

MGGS, Ice Thiner and Explosives are all used to get Datacrons.

I can't help but think the miniature tauntaun in the ice on Ilum is a clue. Those things arent put there by accident. I believe it is a clue. And it is right next to the exhaustion zone... I have explored the area many times over and ran out into the exhaustion zone 10 times. Nothing that I can see in the area. But the developers put that there for a reason, thats no accident. I know its on Ilum (and we have all been looking on Hoth) - but why would it be there?!

Also I have waited at that spot for 20 min +. Nothing is attracted or comes out.

Edited by BarabbasSiley

I've kept the MGGS, Red Detonite Actuator, Hydro-Thinner, NVCSCSCS, and Jerky + Buff in/on me exploring everything posted so far, and everything not. I've combed Hoth for about 15+ hours, gotten outside the map 10 times now, and found nothing.

No need for anyone to revisit old areas posted with the others items.

MGGS is the standard grappling hook. I have not seen a use for them other than datacrons.

The explosive is for one of the Alderaan datacrons, and is consumed upon use (I think).

The Ice thinner is used for one of the Hoth datacrons, and like the detonator, consumed upon use (again, as far as i remember).

Of course, that does not mean that there cannot be another use for any of these items, but I doubt it. Especially for the latter two, as they are quite specific and one-time use.

MGGS is the standard grappling hook. I have not seen a use for them other than datacrons.

The explosive is for one of the Alderaan datacrons, and is consumed upon use (I think).

The Ice thinner is used for one of the Hoth datacrons, and like the detonator, consumed upon use (again, as far as i remember).

Of course, that does not mean that there cannot be another use for any of these items, but I doubt it. Especially for the latter two, as they are quite specific and one-time use.

I've never been to the Hoth Datacron... is there enough space inside that area?? maybe what we are looking for is in there, we've just been dismissing it because "it's just for the datacron"....

I've never been to the Hoth Datacron... is there enough space inside that area?? maybe what we are looking for is in there, we've just been dismissing it because "it's just for the datacron"....

There is no space. Its a Datacron covered in Ice, Once you thaw it out, you can use it.

I can't help but think the miniature tauntaun in the ice on Ilum is a clue. Those things arent put there by accident. I believe it is a clue. And it is right next to the exhaustion zone... I have explored the area many times over and ran out into the exhaustion zone 10 times. Nothing that I can see in the area. But the developers put that there for a reason, thats no accident. I know its on Ilum (and we have all been looking on Hoth) - but why would it be there?!

Also I have waited at that spot for 20 min +. Nothing is attracted or comes out.

Maybe the ice thinner could be used here, and then use the jerky once the Taun is out? I'm not sure but maybe worth a try? Maybe everyone thinks the taun to find is on Hoth, but maybe it's actually Ilum? I would go find out but none of my toons are old enough yet.

The plot thickens!