Tauntaun Hoth Mystery

Jenemi

Ive been trying to find someone to make me one (Shadow Hand), I have 3 livers and 3 ice ferns. Seems no one wants to share.

If you find someone who can make them on Shadowhand let me know.

SilverDragn on Imperial side. Have a few Republic alts though.

Edited by Rmuckleroy

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/homeyp1221/Screenshot_2012-04-17_17_57_20_099042.jpg

Im not sure that the hoth snow "map" is really a map. If you look at the shapes of the mounds of snow in the picture with the dead republic pilot and then look at the shapes of the snow in the picture i just posted on alderaan, you'll noticed that they clearly reused the same objects. Now whether this was intentional or not, we may never now. Conventional wisdom would say that they created alderaan first because it is a lower level area, and then reused the snow mounds on hoth/ilum. but i may just be stupid.

Back somewhere near the start of this thread someone posted saying that they saw crying tuantuan. Has anyone else seen it and has anyone tried capturing it?

Lots of Tauntaun make crying noises. The problem is that no one has seen a small one. They are all adult sized.

I have a very loose theory, but who knows, any suggestions or discussion might end up helping:

I theorize that the capture-able tauntaun is not simply out in the wilderness roaming, but would be summoned by a specific activity (such as clicking an object, or maybe standing in a specific place for a certain amount of time), and that this specific activity would be the step that requires the jerky. I am basing this on the fact that it seems simplest if using the NVSCCS only has two possible outcomes: it's focused on the correct target, thus capturing it and placing it as a pet in your inventory, OR it's focused on the wrong target, and nothing happens. I can't really picture a third outcome where it flashes the error across your screen: "Acquired correct target but target slipped out of the trap because it didn't think you smelled yummy enough for it to want to let itself remain caught". Therefore, the jerky must be involved in a previous step that is required to make the capture-able tauntaun appear in the first place. The theory seems somewhat logical to me, but there's no guarantee my logic resembles the developers' logic at all. I could be 100% wrong.

Anyway, I don't have the jerky yet, but if I did, I would try to concentrate on finding click-able objects, or going to strange little corners that maybe have a noticeable affect (exhaustion zones, maybe), rather than clicking on any old tauntaun out in the open. Story-wise, I am on Hoth right now, so as I roam I'll keep my eyes open for anything suspicious. Good hunting!

A good theory. I have a question, Is the jerky a drop in its self? it may have been posted but i cant remember as i have viewed so many posts. If it is not and the only means of getting the jerky is to down a world boss then would that not make the pet unobtainable to players who play alone or have trouble finding help to take out the boss, my guild are too focused on WZ n ops to bother answering my requests for help. I am Biochem maxed all skills and would like the recipe but i dont see how i will get it or the jerky, i have the reqd ingredients for it. I just wish Georg would say yes to jerky or no so we can be sure we need it or dont, as its not easy to get for me personally.

I see the same picture in the old thread on the White cristal , for the beta test.maybe I wrong

On Hoth, I went to the rough location of the red dot on this image and found "Shai Tenna's Pleasure Den". There's a Smuggler Phase inside, but also an ante-room off the main passageway that contains an empty cage at -1778,0. The door was not open to the cage, but empty nonetheless.

When I Ctrl-Print Screen or Alt-Print Screen I cannot get a screen capture. I'm logging out next to the door, so if anyone has ideas, I'll check it when I get back online ~30 mins.

I've also logged 30 lost or wandering tauntauns. I'll try and post them for the database someone is creating later. I've also logged the location of 16 wampa. I have only received Cosmic Trace, Alien Bacteria and Inert Virus from these but noted which location dropped what.

Another Ice Fern at -2823, 193

Couldn't find it, unconfirmed.

Ice Fern can also be found on the top of Dour Mountain at -2828, -501 if someone has not yet reported it.

Confirmed, its pretty hidden and hard to get to, but close to the one up north so nice to farm.

I just got a jerky drop from Gargath, anyone know the chance of learning the schematic through RE? I'm tempted. My server is The Swiftsure, and as far as I know, no one has the schematic. I am also very interested in the tauntaun ordeal myself. Have pursued a few leads but haven't gotten that far.

Does anyone also know the best place to farm Ice Scrabbler Liver? And if its a drop or involves skinning the wampa (sorry, I'm sure this was posted already but I'm having some issues finding one).

Thanks,

The Jerky Schematic (not the jerky but a learnable schem) dropped for us on our 4th kill of Snowblind. We havent had a schem or jerky drop from Gargath. Before you RE that I would kill Snowblind a couple times and see if jerky drops/

We checked the Pleasure den with the buff but nothing happened. Im going to check alderaan spaceport for clickies but we jus tnow checked Hoth ORbital station as well with the buff and Nothing.

Is it possible to sell any of these things - fern, liver, schematic, or jerky - on the GTN? if so, anyone know the categories for them?

I couldnt find the category, but you can sell both the Jerky and the Liver on the GTN. In the search box type "Ice" and it will pull up the jerky and the liver I found one for 1k on there the other day 0.o so i bought it :p

Couldn't find it, unconfirmed.

Confirmed, its pretty hidden and hard to get to, but close to the one up north so nice to farm.

What is respawn timer on these?

30 minutes I believe. Maybe 1 hour. I was scanning the area around there for clues (mostly just the giant pit, forget what its called [turns out the area is for some quest, although I've never seen a quest lead there, and I never saw the area before 1.2]) and I grabbed the north one, fiddled around, went back up after around an hr and it had spawned again.

Ok we tried to eat two to see if it stacked. No luck. Does not stack so scratch this idea.

Thank you for comfirming this for us.

I've read so many things in this thread But could it be possible that the lost tauntaun at -894,117 will follow you someplace if you have the Jerky buff on? I still can't find any jerky.

I believe someone who went up to that hill had the jerky buff on, and nothing happened. I ventured down into the volcano area to see if there were any caves that were non red-door instances, specifically around Galcial Fissure. . .no such luck. I think everyone is real close to finding this out though.

I've read so many things in this thread But could it be possible that the lost tauntaun at -894,117 will follow you someplace if you have the Jerky buff on? I still can't find any jerky.

None of the lost Tauntons reacted when running around them with the Jerky buff. I tried it on many, and every type of Taunton on Hoth.

I've scoured almost every bit of Hoth for anything clickable with Jerky in hand (no buff).

Nothing exciting yet. I feel like we're close but not really at the same time. There are some people who have been able to find tiny Ice Ferns in the middle of no where and tiny, pebble tauntaun in the snow on Ilum and still, we don't have a solid lead. Plus, the swtor has been searching since 1.2 was on the PTS with no luck.

We're missing something very important or just have really bad luck lol.

We know Hoth is well investigated at this point, however if we are missing a rare spawn with a long path...it is possible we have missed it.

I will continue to explore Hoth, however we were told only two planets are involved. Since the capture device comes from Alderan, we are going to re-focus on this second planet. Perhaps there is something else purchaseable from a different vendor or an item that drops which provides a second buff.

Jerky from Hoth, along with Ice Fern and Livers (both found on Hoth)

Capture Device from Alderan, with perhaps some other item acquired on Alderan to help in summoning the creature.

I've scoured almost every bit of Hoth for anything clickable with Jerky in hand (no buff).

Nothing exciting yet. I feel like we're close but not really at the same time. There are some people who have been able to find tiny Ice Ferns in the middle of no where and tiny, pebble tauntaun in the snow on Ilum and still, we don't have a solid lead. Plus, the swtor has been searching since 1.2 was on the PTS with no luck.

We're missing something very important or just have really bad luck lol.

Ive tried some areas wiht the buff but what if its like the tat quests and like, its not clickable unless you have the buff on? I dunno I think at this point we are Definatly missing a step, maybe two buffs are involved. Im going to go and check vendors on alderaan for anything else that could be purchasable.

Sorry to pester, but is the Ice Scrabbler Liver attained through killing mobs of Wampas/TaunTauns and looting? Or by killing them and Bioanalysis skinning them? I've been trying to farm these for awhile now and have no such luck, so I'd just like to know how everyone has gotten theirs so far.

I plan on doing a few more raids on the world bosses for (hopefully) the schematic, but if no such luck then I'll probably cross my fingers and RE in the one sitting in my inventory right now.

We know Hoth is well investigated at this point, however if we are missing a rare spawn with a long path...it is possible we have missed it.

I will continue to explore Hoth, however we were told only two planets are involved. Since the capture device comes from Alderan, we are going to re-focus on this second planet. Perhaps there is something else purchaseable from a different vendor or an item that drops which provides a second buff.

Capture Device from Alderan, with perhaps some other item acquired on Alderan to help in summoning the creature.

I haven't done much searching since there is a lack of Jerky on my server, but through Zoeller's quote of how at least one person has been to the right area and there is a lot of truth in our posts. I doubt its on Alderaan, especially considering that Alderaan merely seems like the place for supplies (ie. the adegan crystal, the egg, the MGSS for datacron and now the NVSCCS). Then again, when saying that, it could be flipped, since most of the supplies are attained in Hoth for the TaunTaun.

Edited by TheCeleb

This is what we will be focusing our power on. But where? Are there any abandoned space ports on Alderaan?

Edited by Dragonbgone

Sorry to pester, but is the Ice Scrabbler Liver attained through killing mobs of Wampas/TaunTauns and looting? Or by killing them and Bioanalysis skinning them? I've been trying to farm these for awhile now and have no such luck, so I'd just like to know how everyone has gotten theirs so far.

I plan on doing a few more raids on the world bosses for (hopefully) the schematic, but if no such luck then I'll probably cross my fingers and RE in the one sitting in my inventory right now.

its a drop that you loot from the mob, not bioanalysis. I've got on to drop off of a NOT silver mob in the ice wampa cave

I also got this drop an hour or so ago from a mob in the top right of spaceship graveyard (the jedis and republic troopers or whatever)

I think any decision to look elsewhere than Hoth is a HUGE mistake, for several compelling reasons.

1) The teaser/patchnotes said that the Tauntaun can be acquired on Hoth, not using materials from Hoth or involving Hoth. ON Hoth.

2) We also know it is a 2 planet job, and we are quite certain that the NVSCCS is a part of this, so we know Alderaan fits in that way. That leaves Hoth for the capture. On top of this, Alderaan has long been the "hub" for special acquisitions by means of using items from that vendor elsewhere.

3) The Dev said that someone had already been able to capture the Tauntaun, they just didn't realize it. Now everyone has been exploring Hoth almost exclusively, along with Ilum. This means that it has to be on one of these two locations where the Tauntaun is found, BUT it's supposed to be a two planet task, not three. That seems to exclude Ilum.