Yesterday's Patch Issue

JWild

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG!!! Really? This is got to be the biggest set of whining I have ever seen. You all actually think they lied to you? You actually blame Stephen and Allison for this!!?? Really?

They pass on the information they we told by other departments to put you at ease and try to help the situation so you can go on your merry way and play. Then things take a turn for the worse and you blame them? Shame on you, all of you!

Yopu want compensation? Some people at least have the common sense to ask for a minute amount (a day or two) but a MONTH!!?? You ungrateful lot make me sick. You are the people that would try to sue for millions of dollars because you couldn't read the slippery when wet sign and fell and busted your *** while walking.

These people put their face out in the open every day so you can bust on them because you have a thought of self-entitlement. You have the audacity to bash them and curse them out because they tried to help and you call them liers? To be honest I hope you all bail on the game and leave so this community doesn't have to listen to you and your holier than thou attitude.

To Stephen, Allison, Joveth, Amber, Courtney, Daniel, Georg, David and the rest BRAVO!!! Thanks for all the work you do to help us along whether the information is fully correct or not. Thanks for caring enough to etertain us with an answer, any answer right or wrong. Thanks for sticky with the rest of us that actually look to you for an answer, cryptic as some may be eh Georg. ;) And most of all thank you BW, you put out one hell of a game and I look forward to all of the improvements in the future.

Yes, I know that there are things that need to be fixed and fine tuned. I'm patient, I'll wait and I'll play as is until it gets better. As it has been doing since launch, always getting better.

Nobody is going to read that....

Bioware, I am sorry but your lack of any sort of sympathy and ACTUAL support for your player base is borderline insulting.

Yesterday YOU mess up and leak patch content, which you mislead people to believe only affected a small amount of the player base, which was basically a lie, since most people I know got screwed over.

Then you basically let us know that we are S.O.L and have to re-install. Thanks to you, I wasted one day not playing since I was told it would be okay to let it sit.

NOW I have to still re-install the entire game AND the patch.

Bioware, you need to get your stuff in order and fix your game and your services. It is already embarrassing enough that DAILIES, let me repeat, THINGS WE DO ON A DAILY BASIS do not work and have a plethora of bugs, but now you go ahead and pull this kind of stuff on us?

Bioware, I wanted to give you the time to get yourselves in order for a MMO, but now, its been 5 months of bugs and disappointment. If there is not some sort of compensation and an actual apology and a dedication to your team to FIX YOU GAME, something tells me that I will not be the only one to move on from this travesty of a game.

Bioware, I am sorry but your lack of any sort of sympathy and ACTUAL support for your player base is borderline insulting.

Yesterday YOU mess up and leak patch content, which you mislead people to believe only affected a small amount of the player base, which was basically a lie, since most people I know got screwed over.

Then you basically let us know that we are S.O.L and have to re-install. Thanks to you, I wasted one day not playing since I was told it would be okay to let it sit.

NOW I have to still re-install the entire game AND the patch.

Bioware, you need to get your stuff in order and fix your game and your services. It is already embarrassing enough that DAILIES, let me repeat, THINGS WE DO ON A DAILY BASIS do not work and have a plethora of bugs, but now you go ahead and pull this kind of stuff on us?

Bioware, I wanted to give you the time to get yourselves in order for a MMO, but now, its been 5 months of bugs and disappointment. If there is not some sort of compensation and an actual apology and a dedication to your team to FIX YOU GAME, something tells me that I will not be the only one to move on from this travesty of a game.

Gotta tell ya man, your sig really kinda undermines your post.

Don't worry, this will only hurt for a little bit.

Edited by Jummyjum

I've got to say the patcher in this game is pretty abysmal. I frequently have to "update the client on a second computer" and copy to mine via the internal network. I dread patch day because of this. It's gotten better over time but certainly hasn't been resolved. And to be honest i've given up trying to comment in the support section as it falls on deaf ears.

Surprise that a major patch causes a bunch of issues for people? Not really, expectations were very low to begin with.

I obviously love the game otherwise i wouldn't be jumping through these hoops, but come on. Patience wearing thin....

I've got to say the patcher in this game is pretty abysmal. I frequently have to "update the client on a second computer" and copy to mine via the internal network. I dread patch day because of this. It's gotten better over time but certainly hasn't been resolved. And to be honest i've given up trying to comment in the support section as it falls on deaf ears.

Surprise that a major patch causes a bunch of issues for people? Not really, expectations were very low to begin with.

I obviously love the game otherwise i wouldn't be jumping through these hoops, but come on. Patience wearing thin....

Indeed very abysmal and the thing is, it does not have to be.

I would give up all of 1.2, and trade it for a patching system that works. If they'd spent two months working on nothing but that, I'd still prefer that over new content - can't play new content with a failed patching system.

And this thread stems from the 11.3gb blunder - it speaks nothing about the other unfortunate subscribers who have the same old patch errors, failures and patch looping that we've become accustomed to.

What really strikes me as odd, is that this whole 'accidental' patch release issue should not be an issue at all. All they need to do (if using a normal MMO patching system) is just have the patcher remove unnecessary files from the users computer, and /or overwrite relevant files and data where applicable to reset the client back to where it should be.

They say sorry but don't indicate there's any resolution other than to redownload some arbitrary amount data (11gb) and we don't even know what that 11gb actually contains or if the method will work properly.

Bioware could still solve it.. that's exactly what they should be working on right now..a hotfix.

This is not rocket science, amateur programmers could do this..LITERALLY.

Edited by Ranebow

We completely understand your frustration - we're frustrated too. We were given incorrect information and we relayed that to you in error. All we can do right now is apologize.

I want to be clear that no-one intentionally lied; the messaging was a mistake, but one that compounded our earlier mistake, and that's unacceptable.

If you haven't seen, I have updated our original thread with revised instructions. As you probably realize, your options at this point are to either let the client complete a full download, or re-install from physical DVDs. Re-installing should reduce your download size considerably.

There are still discussions ongoing about this issue, and I'll update you when I have more to share.

I am in exactly the same place as what seems to be many other users. I stopped the main assets download yesterday expecting everything to be fine today only for it to resume today. What I am shocked about is that this issue is not more clearly stated on the client latest news. I guess EA/BW don't want to rain on the new patch release.

Im one of the 'few' that logged in at the wrong time. Its been frustrating having to download the game again, especially since I could have done it yesterday, lol. Im also a new player, less than 30 days subbed, and things like this can turn off new players who have less invested in the game. This situation on its own, although not a huge deal, just adds to other issues....(server population, no cross server pvp queues, LFG design choice, etc)

I have my own business to run so Ill leave BW to decide how to run theirs, but like many things in life perception is reality. Getting in front problems like these, addressing them, and openly sharing whats being done to stop it from happening again can go along way. Most importantly is showing the customer that they care and are going to make things right.

I have my own business to run so Ill leave BW to decide how to run theirs, but like many things in life perception is reality. Getting in front problems like these, addressing them, and openly sharing whats being done to stop it from happening again can go along way. Most importantly is showing the customer that they care and are going to make things right.

QFT.

I just hope the game will work once that 11 GB is done downloading. I'm at 3.4 GB now. Anyone finished downloading the data and running the game?

I want to assure everyone that we are taking the situation and your feedback very seriously. Discussions are ongoing and I hope to update all of you later today.

We are, as requested, 'going to bat' for you. Bear with us as the wheels turn.

LOL. i need more space in my forum signature. You guys keep messing up!!! :D

You shouldn't have ragequit and rageuninstalled.

Just sayin'

What's the other option, download 11gb and then have them say 'woops wait, that wasn't the best idea either'

Like I said before, hot fix..it's easy(or should be). Maybe now 1.2 and it's fabled glory is out of the way, they can get to work on real issues, like the broken patching system.

not rageuninstall, just i thsats think, why download again the 11 GB, if i have cd... Just funny not working the reinstall.... Usually, if u reinstall something, then thats NEED working. If i want reinstall my windows, then i cant install from cd???? tjhis is nonsens...

GamewizX -

After 20 years in the IT industry in many different capacities I am well aware that Ms. Berryman is not at fault for the break down on the implementation side of the house that pushed the faulty patch – please read – I never once insinuated that. I stand my ground that the information was in fact false, and as the one who conveyed it I choose to no longer accept her as a reputable source of information.

As to your comment about the semantics of a lie – I said that is in fact open to debate and interpretation (Please recall it was never me that said it was a lie, that was Mr. Reid’s response to an earlier comment.) So please do not insult my ability to differentiate.

So you choose to not trust someone who had no control over whether or not the information provided to them was accurate or not? Ok, more power to you.

It isn't open to debate and interpretation, that's the point. There are no semantics, because there was no lie. It was bad information, not a lie. You continue to insinuate otherwise. Lying implies they knew it wouldn't solve the problem and just make it worse, but just wanted to pass it along anyways. You truly believe that was the case? If so, I have some wonderful tinfoil hats to sell you.

OMG!!! Really? This is got to be the biggest set of whining I have ever seen. You all actually think they lied to you? You actually blame Stephen and Allison for this!!?? Really?

I don't think people believe they were deliberately deceived. They are angry, however, because there was clearly a breakdown of communications inside BioWare, which led to incorrect advice being given to players experiencing a problem, thus exacerbating the problem.

They pass on the information they we told by other departments to put you at ease and try to help the situation so you can go on your merry way and play. Then things take a turn for the worse and you blame them? Shame on you, all of you!

In all due fairness, this is part of what they signed up for when taking a community manager position. It's unpleasant and often times undeserved, but that's part of the role.

Yopu want compensation? Some people at least have the common sense to ask for a minute amount (a day or two) but a MONTH!!?? You ungrateful lot make me sick. You are the people that would try to sue for millions of dollars because you couldn't read the slippery when wet sign and fell and busted your *** while walking.

Ungrateful? Players who cannot play and might have to pay fees to their ISP for the large re-download are ungrateful? BioWare aren't doing us a favour, they're providing a product and service we're paying for. If this was a free gift then I can understand your comments, but you are only adding fuel to the fire with these kinds of statements.

The comparison to people not reading a wet sign is a little on the low side, to be honest, as this isn't a case of "self-injury." No player affected by this problem inflicted it upon themselves, so the analogy is not only incorrect, it is insulting. Both the initial problem and the poor communication afterwards are the fault of BioWare's, not the players.

These people put their face out in the open every day so you can bust on them because you have a thought of self-entitlement. You have the audacity to bash them and curse them out because they tried to help and you call them liers? To be honest I hope you all bail on the game and leave so this community doesn't have to listen to you and your holier than thou attitude.

I don't think you understand their jobs very well. They're paid to provide the service they do. They're not doing it as a favour. They didn't necessarily post updates because they want to help - they did so because they are paid to. This does not, of course, mean that they don't also want to help, and don't love their jobs, etc., but you make it out like they're volunteering for this.

As for the final comment about people's "holier than thou attitude," you should probably look at your own post again.

Yes, I know that there are things that need to be fixed and fine tuned. I'm patient, I'll wait and I'll play as is until it gets better. As it has been doing since launch, always getting better.

There's a big difference being fine-tuning something and making a big mistake like this. There's lots of bugs that need to be addressed and updates and changes that need to be made, but I am equally happy to wait for those. This mistake and the poor communication that followed it, however, are not acceptable, and just because you were not affected by it does not mean that BioWare should ignore it or get a pat on the back. This is a great game and BioWare has done many things really well, for which it gets commended for regularly (by customers, media, and so forth). Real failings should never be commended, and no customer's genuine grievances should be ignored or down-played like you are suggesting here.

-Bel

Edited by yechidah

Thank god for Windows 7. I found a version of my SWTOR install file from the 11th in my Previous versions and used it to overwrite the patched install. The launcher is no longer trying to download the 11GB client and is downloading the 900MB patch file instead. Hoping that this works.

Thank god for Windows 7. I found a version of my SWTOR install file from the 11th in my Previous versions and used it to overwrite the patched install. The launcher is no longer trying to download the 11GB client and is downloading the 900MB patch file instead. Hoping that this works.

I was gonna try that, but didnt have any restore points to go back to, then i just remembered I had swtor 1.1.5 on my laptop, so I just copied the whole directory over to my main rig and now its just downloading the 1.2 patch, then ill be able to play right away. :D

So you choose to not trust someone who had no control over whether or not the information provided to them was accurate or not? Ok, more power to you.

It isn't open to debate and interpretation, that's the point. There are no semantics, because there was no lie. It was bad information, not a lie. You continue to insinuate otherwise. Lying implies they knew it wouldn't solve the problem and just make it worse, but just wanted to pass it along anyways. You truly believe that was the case? If so, I have some wonderful tinfoil hats to sell you.

Yes - I have made the determination that Ms. Berryman is an unreliable source and therefore I will not accept any future correspondence from her regarding SWTOR as valid until it can be verified independently.

No – I do not think that I was lied to. I never said that. If you have issue with ChunkyThunder’s comments on the bottom of page 4 - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=401973&page=4 whom Mr. Reid was responding too – I suggest you take it up with him. I continue to state that the information provided yesterday was not true and accurate - that alone is my issue. If it is a lie, I am not, have never said – others have. I only contend that the certainty of whether this is a lie or not is not settled in some peoples mind – but I’m not championing that fight.

So one last time - No, I do not feel lied to, but was the information forwarded false? Yes it was. Call that what you want, I call it wrong, untrue, inaccurate, etc.

I want to assure everyone that we are taking the situation and your feedback very seriously. Discussions are ongoing and I hope to update all of you later today.

We are, as requested, 'going to bat' for you. Bear with us as the wheels turn.

Please do indeed update us frequently. Addressing the thread even with small pieces of new information expresses more concern toward those affected.

The only files which are needed are the version files.

I had a laptop which didn't get caught by the bug and patched it today up to 1.2 and copied the version files across and the desktop now doesn't need the 11Gb patch.

Too bad not everyone has access to the correct version files.

All you can do is apologize?! Are you kidding me?! Your fail cost us 2 days of Gaming play.. It mean you literally steal money from us for 2 days. I even don't talk about donwload caps from ISP.... And you just APOLOGIZE?! Sent a few people to CS of Blizzard... really.. you will learn a LOT from these guys...

Atleast when they do mistake they apologize and give paying customer something in return... But YOU and YOUR <insert any heavy insult> EA screw EVERYONE anytime they want... Dragon Age 2,ME3 now SW-TOR...

Congratulation... Guys from Bioware.. Leave EA... they pulling you down...

A whole dollar of your money... Petition McDonalds for a free cheeseburger?

The only files which are needed are the version files.

I had a laptop which didn't get caught by the bug and patched it today up to 1.2 and copied the version files across and the desktop now doesn't need the 11Gb patch.

So you're in the process of uploading them for us? D:

A whole dollar of your money... Petition McDonalds for a free cheeseburger?

Exactly. I'm as frustrated as everyone else. After working all day I come home to find I can't play today either, instead I can spend the evening watching a download bar. A download which could have been over, had I started it this morning.

That being said. Asking for compensation for lost play time is a bit pathetic. What BW should do is first of all, make sure something like this doesn't happen again, and if it does, be better prepared. Secondly, If they were to provide compensation, and it is possible for them to identify the accounts affected by this, they could either send us a physical copy of the game, or give us some in-game compensation in form of gear or whatever is suitable.

I don't care that I lost less than 1 Euro, it's the fact that I haven't been able to play for 2 days I care about.