Yesterday's Patch Issue

JWild

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for this suggestion

I changed the language to german, this initiated a download of something called "German video 1" 1.80 GB download. Canceled this and launched in english, crash. I'm lost.

have sent you a private message.

My install has finished from disc/internet and the game crashed again during the launch video. I am trying my original suggestion of changing language setting prior to logging into the launcher - its downloading a small patch and will confirm here if this has fixed.

Nobody who got a digital version ever made a backup copy? How was the file delivered?

For me, anything that hits my hard drive goes directly to the DVD burner.

I got the boxed DVD's (thank god) so it is a minor problem for me, but i'm curious why nobody backed theirs up. Was the file too big even Zipped?

First thing i did for my Digital Star Trek was burn a copy.

For anyone that has reinstalled from discs and via download. There was an original LAUNCH issue where the copies of discs distrubted didnt have the right launch version and so anyone using the affected discs kept crashing as the game tried to load the "launch movie"

This issue remains, so anyone who has been impacted by the 1.2 fiasco from yesterday and today who also had issues when game first released will have the same issue.

Do this and it works: I posted this back when game launched as had missed 2 or 3 days of game time waiting for a solution:

Got this from another thread, tried it and it works.

1) load up as you have been trying.

2) do not input your login details!

3) change the language setting to either french or german and go back to launcher screen and wait. do not select play yet.

4) patching should now start again!!!

5) change setting back to english and wait.

6) press play!

For anyone that has reinstalled from discs and via download. There was an original LAUNCH issue where the copies of discs distrubted didnt have the right launch version and so anyone using the affected discs kept crashing as the game tried to load the "launch movie"

This issue remains, so anyone who has been impacted by the 1.2 fiasco from yesterday and today who also had issues when game first released will have the same issue.

Do this and it works: I posted this back when game launched as had missed 2 or 3 days of game time waiting for a solution:

Got this from another thread, tried it and it works.

1) load up as you have been trying.

2) do not input your login details!

3) change the language setting to either french or german and go back to launcher screen and wait. do not select play yet.

4) patching should now start again!!!

5) change setting back to english and wait.

6) press play!

I can confirm that this works!

Nobody who got a digital version ever made a backup copy? How was the file delivered?

For me, anything that hits my hard drive goes directly to the DVD burner.

I got the boxed DVD's (thank god) so it is a minor problem for me, but i'm curious why nobody backed theirs up. Was the file too big even Zipped?

First thing i did for my Digital Star Trek was burn a copy.

Downloading a digital copy only installs the launcher and then you patch everything from there. There is nothing to backup.

I realize that this is not the fault of the moderators of these forums. However, I would implore you moderators to /please/ 'go to bat' for those of us who have been affected by this incompetent mistake and suggest to the 'powers that be' at Bioware to compensate us with a free month of game time for all the frustration we have put up with. I know this should not be a big deal because Trion/Rift does it all the time. If you call tech support with a problem and you have ANY downtime at all, they will usually just give you a free month. No reason why Bioware can't do the same.

I was able to contact support this morning around 7:45 AM CST - at that time they were in the process of "rebooting" their systems and could not support me - they said just let the download run and then call back in 30 minutes and I could work with them to send in my logs for further help. So whatever, fine - I let my download continue, and went on to some other issues.

At 10:50 Am CST (now 6 Gigs to go on my download) I figured I would call support again and see if they had any update or if I could get some help. Once you navigate thru the voice mail system, I received a loop recording saying that all the support systems are down and I should call back later.

I am really trying to stay calm and understanding of the difficulties that Bioware is having with this patch; but honestly I have no faith left in any statements from Allison Berryman, Steven Reid or the CSR team on phone support.

I'm not screaming for compensation - as I know that will not likely be granted. I simply acknowledge I'll have to take personal responsibility for BW's ineptitude with the patching system. Since I'm not a fan of volume shadow copy on my local system I will have to maintain my own version control system of the SWTOR client from this day forward so I’ll have the ability to roll back to known good copy, the next time this level of failure occurs.

As the old axiom says, “Fool me once - shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me.” The really sad part is that's what my enjoyment of this recreational activity has become, an extension of troubleshooting and IT management - akin to my day job. I'm able and willing to do this, but I have to wonder how many others will simply give up in frustration.

And my final take away is don't trust Allison Berryman – end of story. Ms Berryman provided false information. Steven Reid, you can argue the semantics if it is a “lie” or not all day long, you can claim it was in good faith or not, this does not negate the fact that the information provided by a Bioware official was factually inaccurate. And to the point not just inaccurate but patently opposite of the actual truth.

So in closing – I will continue to try and contact support to see if they have any intention or capacity to assist. I will poke along with my slow download in hopes that at some point I receive a working “Patch” (remember I now can only trust my own observations and must suspect all Bioware information to be corruptible and or erroneous.) And if at some point I am able to access the game again – I will then self-maintain versions of the game I can fall back on.

Just my experience so far – hope better things for each of you.

This scenario is another example of how SWTOR Developers are releasing content without sufficient testing. These kinds of school boy errors are usually made by people that don't have the confidence to admit their out of their depths.

Whilst some free game time would be nice, personally I'd be a lot happier to see a copy of the Head Developer's 'Notice of Termination Due to Gross Incompetence' posted. At least that way, I'd have a glimmer of hope that this might not happen again!

I'm also having this problem. As the GM and raid member of a guild on a competitive server, this has really screwed up potential progress in the new ops. I'm fairly understanding of teething troubles in new MMOs but the delay, and then bug in deploying 1.2 is really testing.

Please fix it Obi - wan Bioware, you're my only hope.

Edit: What does "batting for us" mean exactly?

Edited by Gerrins

I was able to contact support this morning around 7:45 AM CST - at that time they were in the process of "rebooting" their systems and could not support me - they said just let the download run and then call back in 30 minutes and I could work with them to send in my logs for further help. So whatever, fine - I let my download continue, and went on to some other issues.

At 10:50 Am CST (now 6 Gigs to go on my download) I figured I would call support again and see if they had any update or if I could get some help. Once you navigate thru the voice mail system, I received a loop recording saying that all the support systems are down and I should call back later.

I am really trying to stay calm and understanding of the difficulties that Bioware is having with this patch; but honestly I have no faith left in any statements from Allison Berryman, Steven Reid or the CSR team on phone support.

I'm not screaming for compensation - as I know that will not likely be granted. I simply acknowledge I'll have to take personal responsibility for BW's ineptitude with the patching system. Since I'm not a fan of volume shadow copy on my local system I will have to maintain my own version control system of the SWTOR client from this day forward so I’ll have the ability to roll back to known good copy, the next time this level of failure occurs.

As the old axiom says, “Fool me once - shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me.” The really sad part is that's what my enjoyment of this recreational activity has become, an extension of troubleshooting and IT management - akin to my day job. I'm able and willing to do this, but I have to wonder how many others will simply give up in frustration.

And my final take away is don't trust Allison Berryman – end of story. Ms Berryman provided false information. Steven Reid, you can argue the semantics if it is a “lie” or not all day long, you can claim it was in good faith or not, this does not negate the fact that the information provided by a Bioware official was factually inaccurate. And to the point not just inaccurate but patently opposite of the actual truth.

So in closing – I will continue to try and contact support to see if they have any intention or capacity to assist. I will poke along with my slow download in hopes that at some point I receive a working “Patch” (remember I now can only trust my own observations and must suspect all Bioware information to be corruptible and or erroneous.) And if at some point I am able to access the game again – I will then self-maintain versions of the game I can fall back on.

Just my experience so far – hope better things for each of you.

CMs are not developers, or server admins, or management, or any of those things. They exist to relay information from the company to the community. Allison Berryman was told - by the people at Bioware - that waiting for the servers to update instead of downloading the game was an appropriate solution. It is not hers, nor any other CM's, fault for the incorrect information. Plus, the support lines are full because it is a major patch day; it is always expected on a major patch day that support will be patchy because there will be hundreds of thousands of CSR requests through all different mediums. This still isn't Allison or Stephen's fault. They have no control over it, and they are just as - if not more - frustrated as you about the situation.

If your day job actually has anything to do with IT, then you'd know that Allison is not at fault for this in the slightest. She is the assistant to Stephen, and they are in CM, not IT. That means they were given information that they were told was accurate, so they relayed it. Because that information was false does not place the blame on them in the slightest, it places the blame on the people working on the server infrastructure.

There are no semantics to argue. There was no lie, it was just bad information they were given that they passed onto the community. You need to learn to differentiate between the two.

I want to assure everyone that we are taking the situation and your feedback very seriously. Discussions are ongoing and I hope to update all of you later today.

We are, as requested, 'going to bat' for you. Bear with us as the wheels turn.

Are you like a middle of the order guy, or a top of the order slap hitter? THIS IS IMPORTANT INFORMATION!

Anyone know on which end all of my options and quick bar settings are saved?

If i uninstall and start over from dvd, will i have to setup all of my bars again? Or is there a folder i should backup?

I want to assure everyone that we are taking the situation and your feedback very seriously. Discussions are ongoing and I hope to update all of you later today.

We are, as requested, 'going to bat' for you. Bear with us as the wheels turn.

I think some form of compensation is a good way to show that BioWare takes this problem seriously and wants to keep its players.

There are multiple ways this can be done. Those affected may have lost several days of gameplay due to the mishap (yesterday and today, for example, though some of low internet speeds will lose more). A few days of gameplay added to affected users' accounts would address this issue.

Other forms of compensation could include in-game items. An in-game gift of a special mouse droid called "PuppyDog Eyes," for example, is one way BioWare can show it is sorry. An in-game title of "the Patient" could also be added for affected players, and would be appropriate on several levels. A free credit-box sent to affect players in game with a few thousand credits is another idea. Anything created to address this issue could be employed in future for any other problems.

An apology from someone higher up in BioWare would also go a long way to appeasing some players. Community manager are paid to apologise to players when necessary, but producers rarely apologise unless it's a serious matter. Show that BioWare recognises this is a serious matter.

-Bel

OMG!!! Really? This is got to be the biggest set of whining I have ever seen. You all actually think they lied to you? You actually blame Stephen and Allison for this!!?? Really?

They pass on the information they we told by other departments to put you at ease and try to help the situation so you can go on your merry way and play. Then things take a turn for the worse and you blame them? Shame on you, all of you!

Yopu want compensation? Some people at least have the common sense to ask for a minute amount (a day or two) but a MONTH!!?? You ungrateful lot make me sick. You are the people that would try to sue for millions of dollars because you couldn't read the slippery when wet sign and fell and busted your *** while walking.

These people put their face out in the open every day so you can bust on them because you have a thought of self-entitlement. You have the audacity to bash them and curse them out because they tried to help and you call them liers? To be honest I hope you all bail on the game and leave so this community doesn't have to listen to you and your holier than thou attitude.

To Stephen, Allison, Joveth, Amber, Courtney, Daniel, Georg, David and the rest BRAVO!!! Thanks for all the work you do to help us along whether the information is fully correct or not. Thanks for caring enough to etertain us with an answer, any answer right or wrong. Thanks for sticky with the rest of us that actually look to you for an answer, cryptic as some may be eh Georg. ;) And most of all thank you BW, you put out one hell of a game and I look forward to all of the improvements in the future.

Yes, I know that there are things that need to be fixed and fine tuned. I'm patient, I'll wait and I'll play as is until it gets better. As it has been doing since launch, always getting better.

GamewizX -

After 20 years in the IT industry in many different capacities I am well aware that Ms. Berryman is not at fault for the break down on the implementation side of the house that pushed the faulty patch – please read – I never once insinuated that. I stand my ground that the information was in fact false, and as the one who conveyed it I choose to no longer accept her as a reputable source of information.

As to your comment about the semantics of a lie – I said that is in fact open to debate and interpretation (Please recall it was never me that said it was a lie, that was Mr. Reid’s response to an earlier comment.) So please do not insult my ability to differentiate.

Hawc –

I agree with all your comments – that is not in dispute. Please re-read my post I have not accused Ms. Berryman or Mr. Reid of being responsible for the failure. I am simply unable to rely on Ms. Berryman to rely accurate data from this point on. Do I suspect that they as well as the rest of the CSR team are frustrated by this – I would imagine so, but that does not change the fact that they have responded with factually inaccurate information.