Yesterday's Patch Issue

JWild

Happened to me too - I d/l the 1GB update yesterday and then after reading biowares advice I waited (instead or re-downloading the game) Now I'm stuck needing to re-nstall the game anyway. So much for only affecting ppl in a 15 minute time window yesterday. Having to re-install from disk then heaven only knows how long it will take to patch to 1.2.

Tell me Bioware - are we going to get free playtime for this debacle?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ugh...this is a little ridiculous. I specifically asked about this, got a direct response only to be completely false.

Certainly could have used those 16 hours or so to be downloading this instead of hoping it finishes by the time I get home from work.

I can forgive mistakes - and community managers are not server programmers - BUT - my patience is now being tested. Dont post info about what is and isnt UNTIL you KNOW what is and isnt. Kneejerking a post to satisfy all the crazies on this forum has now made you look even more incompetent Bioware. Thanks for the 11gb hell TODAY.

I can't even redownload the client. It says "Resuming" but it just sits there. Nothing is downloading. GFD. I cannot BELIEVE I wasted my money on this garbage. Against my better judgement I decided to give Bioware another chance after they ****ed up ME3 and less than two weeks later they've screwed me not once, but twice.

Fool me once, shame on you, etc, etc.

I called your tech support department THREE TIMES yesterday to confirm that I should NOT re-download the 11GB file. Do you people even communicate with each other? Your "tech support" department told me I should "read the forums". Did THEY even read the forums? You guys really need to get your stuff together if you want to have any chance of going up against your competition (like Blizzard). I will be unsubbing after today if I am not compensated for the lost game time and general frustration and incompetence I've experienced. I know this is your first MMO, but seriously this is NOOB behavior. GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

So much for this problem "only affecting a small number of players"....

Gotta re-download 11gigs of data that i could have started downloading yesterday, all thanks

to the stupid "leak"...thanks bioware, please compensate us with at least a day

for our subscription...maybe more depending on how long this 11gig download is gonna be...

GFG Bioware

Seriously considering un-subbing after this, its absolutely unbelievable. On your direct advice we don't re-download the client.

Guessing it was just a stab in the dark? "It'll probably be fine tomorrow."

This is an absolute joke. I'm usually quite accepting of a few hiccups, delays, and so forth, but there are several big issues with this:

1. It should not have happened in the first place, and it certainly should never happen again.

2. The communication about it was, we have found, wrong, and players who could have downloaded the game again yesterday but choose to cancel are now forced to do so today.

3. Not everyone has high-speed internet. Some have download caps. Some pay additional fees for large downloads (and 11GB is a large download).

4. Players have lost game time due to this. I wanted to play yesterday, but I decided I'd wait until today so I didn't have to download the game again (it got a few GB in before I cancelled). Now players will lose playtime today as they are forced to wait until their game downloads again.

5. Those who were looking forward to playing the new update today may not get a chance to. The servers are up and I'm still downloading the game. For those of us who planned raids, that will also affect those and generally makes for a very unpleasant update day.

6. It does not matter if "a small percentage" of players are affected. Surely each and every one of your customers are valuable, and if this affected just one person it should be properly rectified.

-Bel

Yes it does, however, I have never encountered a game where the whole game needs to be redownloaded! All the games I have played just continues to fix the affect file(s) and DOES NOT require a redownload of the WHOLE GAME.

Sorry doesn't really fly, it is amateurish at best and considering the technology available today, this is very bad form. $100 million spent and can't even get the patching correct - what a major stuff up.

I am not redownloading 30 GB!

oh well this kind of stuff happens! no point crying about it as it will change nothing! just get reinstalling and get playing asap! i installed the game the other day on my wifes laptop. it only took a couple of hours (using the disks)

Really disappointed in the service here, fine there was a mistake and that could have been forgiven if they just straight up said you have to reinstall the game yesterday but instead nope they advise waiting till today without a clue in the world it seems. Good game, poor service a shame really.

Got the exact same problem!

I used to have it with earlier updates (and even during Early Access which I almost entirely missed because of that), but was able to solve it with the help of other, very friendly players (not Bioware's help who probably didn't care!).

Now, with 1.2, it started again...

Why Bioware, why not just make manual downloads of updates an option?!

That would definitely solve this problem for most of us!

I have always really enjoyed playing this game (while it worked), but this is really getting inacceptable - and I am normally a huge fan of Star Wars, Bioware and very patient with things like this.

Please solve the problem, or you will have lost another subscriber who would have carried on playing for many years if just updating the game would have worked properly..

This is unbelievable, I have never had a problem like this with an MMO or a game of any kind. The lack of response and clarity from CS has made it all the worse. "we may have been mistaken" but you don't say what exactly is wrong or how to fix it, or whats being done to fix it, or how long it may take. Instead we are stuck waiting it out between an 11gig download or some kind of competent solution from devs. With the way things are going, it looks like the download will be faster for more people. I want some kind of compensation for this problem, but if we continue to be ignored, I'm cancelling my sub.

I am down to 6 gigs out of 11 gigs, but the main bar (the bottom red one) has barely moved. I fear what is to come after I download this 11 gigs.

Pretty sure that there are two or three more mutli-gigabyte downloads after the initial 11 gigs (the full download is something like 25-30, if I remember correctly).

This is ridiculous. Someone dropped the ball, then someone else picked it up and threw it as far as they could. You've made a bad problem worse, and the best you can say is "oops." I'm willing to bet there's no way to track who got the bad early patch, so there's no way to compensate us, either.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Here, you should find a folder called 'Patch', delete this.

Please also ensure that your Java is up to date.

If this does not help then please try deleting the assets_swtor_main.version file and patching again.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Here, you should find a folder called 'Patch', delete this.

Please also ensure that your Java is up to date.

If this does not help then please try deleting the assets_swtor_main.version file and patching again.

Can anyone confirm that this is working?

Good morning everyone. After yesterday's patch deployment issue, we issued information about re-patching in good faith, specifically this statement:

Sadly, it now appears that information was incorrect.

At this time, we understand that anyone who cancelled the patching process as described above will need to complete a full re-download of the game client, or re-install the game and then re-patch. There are two options available to you:

Allow the launcher to re-download the full game client and patch to Game Update 1.2

If you have access to physical install DVDs from a retail box, uninstall your game client and re-install the game, then patch to Game Update 1.2

Both of these options will allow you to play Game Update 1.2.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and the confusion caused by this messaging.

Awesome! Thanks for the fix Bioware. I'm glad the mistake was only negligently made on your behalf, and not intentional. If it had been done it bad faith... oh man I would be so mad at you guys. But luckily you just screwed everything up for a bunch of players on accident. Ill be sure to enjoy the game in 2 days when its done downloading. :)