Yesterday's Patch Issue

JWild

Hello everyone. Unfortunately, the Community Team has learned that some of the information we gave yesterday was inaccurate with regards to this this issue, and some players may be required to fully install the game again before playing today.

We are truly sorry for the inconvenience and will be updating you all with more details in this thread as soon as they’re available. Thank you!

Like this is the FIRST time THAT EVER happened...

Edited by DarthSublimitas

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And this is a great example of why Bioware is still an MMO developer noob.

Well, at least their 1.2 update didn't cause a BSoD in Windows like some unnamed developer's update did in the past. Still, this is a very amateur move for a developer that has hundreds of millions invested into TOR and continues to make millions from it.

Like this is the FIRST time THAT EVER happened...

QFT.

I didn't experience this issue, but I feel for those who did. Some people pay quite a bit for their Internet connection bandwidth.

Edited by cipher_nemo

Dear BioWare,

I was one of the "select few" who were affected by releasing the patch early on 4/11 (though by the looks of the forums this appeared to be a much wider spread problem than you initially anticipated).

So now - instead of being able to play today I am stuck re-downloading your massive 11GB client and hoping that it installs correctly so that I can play sometime this week.

In these days of bandwidth caps by ISP's - who can we talk to about getting re-imbursed for the overage charges that we are sure to incur as a result of your sloppiness and mistakes?

Also - can you please provide some form of creating a backup CD/DVD install method for those of us who shelled out for the digital deluxe editions - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Also - can you please provide some form of creating a backup CD/DVD install method for those of us who shelled out for the digital deluxe editions - it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I'll see if I can make some ISOs of the collector's edition DVDs I have (should be exactly the same client, etc.) and then find a place to host them. But if someone else can do this faster than me, perhaps you could share yours?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_dj

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic

Here, you should find a folder called 'Patch', delete this.

Please also ensure that your Java is up to date.

If this does not help then please try deleting the assets_swtor_main.version file and patching again.

Can anyone confirm that this is working?

Moving to this page for clarification...

Anyone? and yes, I'm afraid to try myself.

I don't get how there isn't a work around for this? I already have the full game installed. I am re-downloading files I already have.

One word: Incompetence. ;)

Granted I love TOR and the 1.2 update looks great, but this sort of screw-up is due to just plain laziness and incompetence. So they goofed, no problem, things happen. But where's the fix to prevent a complete re-download of the client?

If this does not help then please try deleting the assets_swtor_main.version file and patching again.

No it doesn't work. It starts over at 11gigs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mission_dj

Moving to this page for clarification...

Anyone? and yes, I'm afraid to try myself.

Tried, can't find any folder called Patch. I figure at this point the worst that could happen is I could ruin the whole install, but the whole install is already ruined so I don't feel bad dicking around in there. I deleted all the files with 'version' on them, but the launcher keeps trying to download the whole game. Not sure what else I can delete.

This is unbelivable.

i really dont know what to say to this, but i fear that after downloading the whole game again a counter message from BW will appear telling me to save the game to floppy discs then reinstalling it from them.

And yet another "wonderul" patch brought to you from BW... I'm afraid of what's waiting me at home. Everytime there is an update, the files get corrupted and I have to repair EVERY TIME. So I'm expecting the worse here as well. Sigh...

Honestly, a modern game SHOULD NOT BE THIS MUCH TROUBLE...

Edited by DarthSublimitas

Good job! Not only did they completely mess up technically, they also basically tell you to **** and go download 11gb of data for no reason. Can't wait to get into gw2... heck, I'll might just go back to ddo even...

This is unbelivable.

i really dont know what to say to this, but i fear that after downloading the whole game again a counter message from BW will appear telling me to save the game to floppy discs then reinstalling it from them.

Thanks for the comic relief.

I'm gonna go buy 20,000 floppy discs just in case.

Since this is apparently where BioWare wants everything posted, I will re-post here:

Okay, this is ridiculous. BioWare made a mistake yesterday and told us to either hang tight and we can play today, or re-download everything yesterday.

I recall a few people were even mocking people who complained by saying things along the lines of "so what you missed a day of SWTOR."

Well, based on information provided by Allison Berryman, a lot of us decided to wait it out and now it turns out we have to re-download the client anyway. This is cutting into a second day of gaming time.

So, what are you going to do about BioWare? More apologies?

Yesterday, I was indifferent towards some sort of compensation, but now I feel BioWare needs to reimburse at least a day of subscription time to affected customers as a MATTER OF PRINCIPLE.

what a joke man.

I followed their advice yesterday and I just KNEW something wasnt kosher.

Now here I am downloading another 11Gig file and then probably more after that.

Seriously, I'm not even angry anymore because frankly I dont care. Between broken promises, bait and switch tactics and totall lack of meaningful customer service BW I wish you good luck.

I actually posted a partially sarcastic comment basically saying that I shouldn't trust Bioware's advice and I don't believe that all will be fixed tomorrow if I just stop the 12GB download.

People complained that I was raging unnecessarily... now look... the advice was indeed rubbish.

Since this is apparently where BioWare wants everything posted, I will re-post here:

Okay, this is ridiculous. BioWare made a mistake yesterday and told us to either hang tight and we can play today, or re-download everything yesterday.

I recall a few people were even mocking people who complained by saying things along the lines of "so what you missed a day of SWTOR."

Well, based on information provided by Allison Berryman, a lot of us decided to wait it out and now it turns out we have to re-download the client anyway. This is cutting into a second day of gaming time.

So, what are you going to do about BioWare? More apologies?

Yesterday, I was indifferent towards some sort of compensation, but now I feel BioWare needs to reimburse at least a day of subscription time to affected customers as a MATTER OF PRINCIPLE.

Agree! BW needs to step up and compensate us for time lost - they're getting our money and we're not getting product. They're basically taking our money and we're not getting anything in return. Free day of play or some kind of nice in game fluff :)