Update on Ranked Warzones in Game Update 1.2

CourtneyWoods

By 5 months into Rift they had already added open world PvP rifts and extended the Prestige ranks from 6 to 8, both major changes. That's in addition to pumping out tons more PvE content and balancing in the form of a substantial patch every month.

Maybe it was unfair of them to set the bar so high in terms of content patching but its making the SWTOR team seem pretty amateur in comparison.

Reach

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we had BioWare people on stage talking about "Open World PvP,100 vs 100" not that long ago. What irks me and a good amount of other Veterans of MMO PvP/RvR is since "Ranked Warzones" are being pushed back till maybe July, when will they seriously start working on Open World PvP/RvR, 2 years from now?

I loved playing DAoC, so much so that I played it for what seems like forever, and I always told my guild and friends in DAoC that the ONLY way I would ever quit DAoC would be if there was a KOTOR MMO that I could RvR in. Well there is a KOTOR MMO but no RvR....soooooo...after this debacle with Warzones, Im starting too have very serious doubts about this game

well we had bioware people on stage talking about "open world pvp,100 vs 100" not that long ago. What irks me and a good amount of other veterans of mmo pvp/rvr is since "ranked warzones" are being pushed back till maybe july, when will they seriously start working on open world pvp/rvr, 2 years from now?

I loved playing daoc, so much so that i played it for what seems like forever, and i always told my guild and friends in daoc that the only way i would ever quit daoc would be if there was a kotor mmo that i could rvr in. Well there is a kotor mmo but no rvr....soooooo...after this debacle with warzones, im starting too have very serious doubts about this game

+1 rvr ftw

I speak in regards to PvP in SWTOR as a veteran of MMO's dating all the way back to EQ1's release:

While its expected that an MMO won't be completely polished with a perfect end-game upon release, at least most newer MMO's have been quick to release content and continually work to improve the existing game at a much faster rate. Patches in this game have made little difference to date and have added no substantial content (again, in regards to PvP.)

In the beginning, Devs stated that they were happy and surprised by the amount of interest in PvP and emphasized that they'd be improving upon it. Instead they delayed 1.2 repeatedly, completely killed Illum (which was already in bad shape due to the poor gaming engine and Illum's zerg vs zerg design), and then one day prior to release announced that ranked PvP is not even ready to enter preseason without giving an ETA. If holding onto that last bit of news until the last minute isn't a ploy to maintain subscriptions I don't know what is.

I canceled my subscription a few months ago (I was working on a second set of BM gear) and was thinking about coming back with 1.2 until D3 or GW2 releases. Man am I glad that I didn't renew a few days ago to shake off the rust.

Everyone on this thread who is arguing that they'd rather have a smooth release of the ranked PvP than a choppy one, I agree. However, I for one have lost faith with the developers. If/when additions are finally released to the PvP, the majority of the PvP community will be long gone. Those of you who are accepting PvP the way it is now are either extremely casual, don't PvP at all, or are just plain settling for less than almost every recently released MMO has offered. If grinding the same 3 - 4 Warzones for an undetermined, maybe indefinite, amount of time is your thing, have at it.

-Reach

+1, Well said.

Doesn't look like all the rage over ranked warzones are affecting my server too much... we're seeing record numbers of people on the fleet tonight. Somewhere between 150 and 210, we havent seen these numbers since launch..

(Irrelevant post over... please recommence flaming)

Doesn't look like all the rage over ranked warzones are affecting my server too much... we're seeing record numbers of people on the fleet tonight. Somewhere between 150 and 210, we havent seen these numbers since launch..

I wonder if that has anything to do with everyone rushing to vendors / trainers / GTN as opposed to being spread out over the whole server.

Ya I bet you are 110% correct....after all...ALOT of people re-upped for 1.2

The omission of the entirety of the pvp system and the fact that I had 5 days left on my subsrcriotion made my decision to cancel my account for me. I'm in good shape to always pick it up if that part of the game at least gets the attention 1.2 was initially going to have for us. No hater post here, the game had it's fun points, it just ran out of them to warrant my continual monthly fee. Cheers to those that got what they wanted from 1.2, pretty sure not too many pvpers are in a happy place right now, but good luck to you if you are still having fun!

The omission of the entirety of the pvp system and the fact that I had 5 days left on my subsrcriotion made my decision to cancel my account for me. I'm in good shape to always pick it up if that part of the game at least gets the attention 1.2 was initially going to have for us. No hater post here, the game had it's fun points, it just ran out of them to warrant my continual monthly fee. Cheers to those that got what they wanted from 1.2, pretty sure not too many pvpers are in a happy place right now, but good luck to you if you are still having fun!

1.2 is a lousy patch. All it has is stuff that should have been in AT LAUNCH.

FYI, most of the crap for sale for "legacy", such as the mail terminal on your ship WERE TAKEN OFF THE SHIP in beta!

The biggest problem is that Bioware lacks any sense of URGENCY.

They don't realize that it's time to bring in the cots and the caffeine, and work until this is fixed. No, they think we'll be patient enough to wait.

WRONG.

If they stick to THEIR schedule instead of our expectations they will be well on their way to seeing half the servers close, half of them unemployed, and this game on it's way to FTP.

A lot of us were around for the NGE. We warned SOE that they didn't have months to fix the monster they wrought. They had weeks. AT BEST. Same thing here, Bioware.

Every day this inadequate patch 1.2 is live the more subs you lose. PERMANENTLY.

Edited by Wildcat

The fact that they give us 30-days free game time just proves that we've been paying for a beta. Even now Legacy isn't fully fleshed out and Ranked Warzones aren't coming out until 1.3. Operations will continue to be bugs galore...

Unsubbed until this game picks up again, if ever.

So you think they arnt by not putting in a system they know is broken. so under your logic they would have been doing us a favour by putting in the broken system.

So they did us a favor by not including the patch?

By your logic, Bioware do us a favor everyday by not releasing instakill skills, or just randomly deleting half the content, cause you know its in their power to do so but they dont, so clearly is a favor. Owait...

They dont deliver on time they lost subs. You make it sound like the only options we had was either get broken warzones or get no warzones. Wrong. The other option is to unsub.

Much as if I am late to hand in a research paper I fail, I dont get an "extension" in university. Im sure the grown ups in bioware are fully aware about what deadlines mean, and if they cant meet them then people leave. Its fairly simple. Not all of us are fanboy enough to stick around with the game if they cant deliver on promises.

If the patch wasnt ready to be released then that IS their fault for not being ready in time. Delaying it doesnt amend the issue, much like asking my university professor for extra time on my paper wouldnt amend the issue. Whats done is done, and for that you can expect the game to lose even more subs. Its all fairly simple logic.

failed.. Hard

im sure their Loling at all these angry posts but when people start unsubing to your game en mass.......

The world is gonna end, oh noes.

I bet no one is laughing at the fact that they could be losing money for this. Nothing about that is funny. It's just one of those things. Better to get it right than never at all.

So they did us a favor by not including the patch?

By your logic, Bioware do us a favor everyday by not releasing instakill skills, or just randomly deleting half the content, cause you know its in their power to do so but they dont, so clearly is a favor. Owait...

They dont deliver on time they lost subs. You make it sound like the only options we had was either get broken warzones or get no warzones. Wrong. The other option is to unsub.

Much as if I am late to hand in a research paper I fail, I dont get an "extension" in university. Im sure the grown ups in bioware are fully aware about what deadlines mean, and if they cant meet them then people leave. Its fairly simple. Not all of us are fanboy enough to stick around with the game if they cant deliver on promises.

If the patch wasnt ready to be released then that IS their fault for not being ready in time. Delaying it doesnt amend the issue, much like asking my university professor for extra time on my paper wouldnt amend the issue. Whats done is done, and for that you can expect the game to lose even more subs. Its all fairly simple logic.

Right so under your logic they didnt do us a favour by holding something back that was broken, under your logic that falls under the same standing as them holding back one hit instant kills ?

And they didnt hold back any warzone, the warzone is here and it came in the patch. The only thing they held back was pre made wargroups beyond a maximum of 4 person groups and the pre season of ranked warzones and being able to q for ranked warzones in the pre season.

Also they delivered absolutly everything else in the patch for 1.2 and ranked warzones was not the only thing within it. Maybe from this point on they will refuse to give ETA's on anything for this exact reason and that way they will never miss an eta again and simply say soon to everything.

Add to this they just gave everyone with a 50 on live a months free gaming to say sorry for the delay which no mmo has ever done before. I think they can be forgiven for missing the ranked out of the patch until it is fixed.

Edited by Shingara

BioWare doesn't need you defense, nor do they look at your at admirably for doing so.

I just don't get why some feel the need to defend trillion dollar companies, for having at best, questionable dealings.

Edited by BCBull

Sub just ran out... and there isn't enough reason in 1.2 to resub. Sorry Bioware ... OR ... maybe you (BW) should be apologizing because you managed to **** up such a good thing.

Let me know when server transfers are up and running. Toodles.

BioWare doesn't need you defense, nor do they look at your at admirably for doing so.

I just don't get why some feel the need to defend trillion dollar companies, for having at best, questionable dealings.

And i dont need to defend them, but me and others are not going to just stand here and let mis information and nerd rage take over the forums.

If you dont like people being positive on the forums against negative people then your in the wrong place. This is not some dictatorship where only one side of the story is given, it is where freedom of expression is evoked within the set guidelines on manners and decency from the playerbase.

I dont see the need for blanket negative posts by specific people since beta against a company that has made one of the best mmos going on there 1st try.

Edited by Shingara