Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

I personally use my mac laptop a lot, I know a lot of you will be "angry", but i even found no need for my pc desktop and will be donating it to my little old grandmother who lives all alone.......HOWEVER, as a gamer (mostly console) I do have the need for a computer that can handle games, which is why I used BOOT CAMP on mac to install windows 7, I can play any game I want and I make it awesome with wireless headsets/keyboards/mice and also plugging into the big screen tv...Awwww yeah

The main point here people is, mac users have a way to play the game even though it might be more convenient to have the little icon on your dock to play...

my 2 cents...

Tankboom

Please understand, then, that you are a Windows user, not a Mac user.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the early 2011 MBP with the 8gb upgrade. The fact this "high end", very expensive ($1800) laptop is only running SWTOR in Win 7 (bootcamp) at around 32 FPS is pathetic.

In my experience when games are converted to OS X they run even slower and are far more buggy, Eve and WoW are my reference. So while I own a MBP, two iPads, iPods, etc, I think putting SWTOR in OS X would be a waste of development time and assets.

I actually feel like an idiot spending so much on a Mac to find it runs games slower than my two year old ACER laptop.

I'm not interesting in trolling, those are the FACTS. Sorry fanboys.

I would love an os x client.

Booting into windows means not having access to os x for work use. It makes me far less productive, and a hollow shell of a person, especially on a day without a super frappe douchelate.

Seriously though, as much as I would love an os x client so i could import documents and keep up with bookkeeping while waiting in que, it isn't happening till they un**** the 32 bit windows client. Its horribly optimized and needs a lot of work.

I have the early 2011 MBP with the 8gb upgrade. The fact this "high end", very expensive ($1800) laptop is only running SWTOR in Win 7 (bootcamp) at around 32 FPS is pathetic.

In my experience when games are converted to OS X they run even slower and are far more buggy, Eve and WoW are my reference. So while I own a MBP, two iPads, iPods, etc, I think putting SWTOR in OS X would be a waste of development time and assets.

I actually feel like an idiot spending so much on a Mac to find it runs games slower than my two year old ACER laptop.

I'm not interesting in trolling, those are the FACTS. Sorry fanboys.

WoW actually runs faster in OS X on an iMac, but slower on a Mac Pro. Starcraft II is the exact opposite. It's weird.

TOR seems to have a mind of its own so no guesses there. I can run the Witcher 2 faster than I can run TOR.

Edited by daemian

Just to clarify a few items:

You just hire a new team to build a mac client. It only takes like 5-10 people to build a solid client since the art and media doesn't have to get a rework. This keeps you from taking time away from the current team. Problem solved.

Games under bootcamp run at about 50-70% performance. I've tested the WoW client under mac Win 7 and native, and those are real numbers. VM software like VM ware fusion etc do not work at all due to the mouse not working correctly.

Mac has a substantial part of the market. No reason to not cash in on it when it only costs the company about $500 to $900k a year for development.

I don't understand all the Mac hate. I hate a PC desktop I built for gaming, but my laptop is a Macbook Pro. MAc laptops are so much better than any OC version, for everything except gaming.

On the flip side, PC desktops are monsters and Apple can't compete.

My 2 cents.

^Prettymuch^

There is no "killer" Mac rig with regards to gaming. Trust me, I tried.
I don't own one but I've heard as much. Their desktops have the horsepower (whatever that means in Mac terms) for high end video editing & graphics design. Guess that doesn't translate well to gaming, but anything stable that can take advantage of a performance Mac system would be nice.

I don't own one but I've heard as much. Their desktops have the horsepower (whatever that means in Mac terms) for high end video editing & graphics design. Guess that doesn't translate well to gaming, but anything stable that can take advantage of a performance Mac system would be nice.

Gaming performance is dependent on the hardware. So it's really about the CPU and the GPU (for starters), and not the brand of computer.

Edited by daemian

VM software like VM ware fusion etc do not work at all due to the mouse not working correctly...

That's 2 completely different things rolled into one.

Yes, it does work. I run VMware Fusion with Win7 on my iMac at work. With all the settings on low it's more than playable.

Yes, there are issues with the mouse.

I'm a mac user and I DON'T want a native mac client.

I would much prefer that Bioware/EA continue to allocate resources to the game itself- bug fixes, balance patches, new content.

Bootcamp is a simple program and very easy to use. You are not a special snowflake for owning a mac, and you aren't entitled to a native client.

I play on a bootcamped mac everyday, and if given the option would probably continue to do so rather than play on a mac OS.

Agree with you 100%

OpenGL is simply not as good as Directx. Even if you could pump your Mac with the best hardware, you would not have the same perf as a windows/DirectX rig.

I played WoW and StarCraft 2 on my MacBook Pro and IMac for years. Sure it was nice.

Wow did run pretty well..(thanks to the 2004 game ! ;-)

But Starcraft2 was a bit laggy... then i tried to install my SC2 on Win using bootcamp and i could play it with high graph without any lag...

I guess we should hope for a open source DirectX implementation !!

You just hire a new team to build a mac client. It only takes like 5-10 people to build a solid client since the art and media doesn't have to get a rework. This keeps you from taking time away from the current team. Problem solved.

Games under bootcamp run at about 50-70% performance. I've tested the WoW client under mac Win 7 and native, and those are real numbers. VM software like VM ware fusion etc do not work at all due to the mouse not working correctly.

Mac has a substantial part of the market. No reason to not cash in on it when it only costs the company about $500 to $900k a year for development.

Games under bootcamp run at about 50-70% performance. I've tested the WoW client under mac Win 7 and native, and those are real numbers.

I don't understand... using bootcamp run your windows in a native mode!! what do you mean by mac win7?

It is simple, when you run games in windows bootcamp, you run them using Windows DirectX...

LOL, you JUST hire a team of professional programmers and pay them to work on a project for a year and give them millions of dollars... ITS SO EASY GOSH.

How do you know it would only take 5-10 programmers? You're assuming a great deal, sir. You've also done nothing to consider the time it takes. It'd be years and years before 5 people could port the entire HeroEngine and TOR on top of it.

And that says nothing of the testing...

ALSO,

games in bootcamp run at worse performance? Are you trolling? If you bootcamp, you run windows in native. Modern macs have intel processors, not powerpc, so they can run windows just as well as any other windows machine. They get 100% performance.

Maybe you were thinking of one of those windows-inside-of-OSX programs?

Definitely not bootcamp.

"it only costs the company about $500 to $900k a year for development."

LOLOLOLOL

You're joking, right?

You know TOR cost over 100 Million Dollars to develop, before you add in marketing?

At your rate, that would mean that they were developing TOR for 100 years.

TOR had around 800, EIGHT HUNDRED developers. NOT FIVE TO TEN.

And they didn't even write the entire game engine! You're expecting them to be able to re-write the Hero Engine AND TOR with 1/1000th the manpower it took just to make TOR??

Edited by miliways

Games under bootcamp run at about 50-70% performance.

Compared to what? an equivalent powered PC? Thats incorrect

Their mac versions? Thats not comparable.

Also, Windows has supported native booting on an (UEFI) mac(or PC) since Vista SP1. There is no virtualization in bootcamp. All bootcamp does it allow you to choose a boot drive.

Edited by eadnams

To be realistic,

if you look at the real word requirements for this game, i.e. what actually is required to run it well considering the horrid optimization not the stated required minimum, and compare it up against the os x systems in use today with adequate video hardware the perspective number of customers would probably be pretty low.

The mac pro users are on their own splendid elitist island. We can run the same video cards that a pc takes (in windows, not necessarily in os x), even crossfire/sli not that it matters in a game like this, pretty much everyone else is up **** creek with nothing better than a mobile ati solution available.

Can a 15 year old kid or fat angry dude **** on a particular brand out of ignorance on the internet? Hell yes, and for 95% of the macs out there they're right with regard to gaming.

Are there some macs out there that can make great rigs for everything including gaming. Yup, but the price is a hell of a barrier to entry, and no one will deny for gaming only a pc could be built far cheaper.

Is an os x client a good idea when they cant even get a 32 bit windows client working right? No :(

Edited by Fatbaldandalone