Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

But there IS the single biggest game ever, and the single biggest competitor to TOR: World of Warcraft.

Relesaed and supported day and date with the Windows version.

That alone is enough precedent to expect support. It's a mis-step, plain and simple, and one I'm positive they would remedy if starting the project today. Now they have the unenviable position of dual development cycles and loss of hype, buzz and marketing surrounding original launch.

I am pretty sure when they first started develop SWTOR, they have considered the Mac audience, no way can they skipped on the decision on whether or not to support Mac.

Again, I am not For or against the idea, coz' quite simply, I am an outsider of the company and do not know what is going on. who knows, maybe they need to build their cash flow back up first?

Gamers don't always buy Macs. But Mac owners do play games. Let that sink in.

I know, Gamers USUALLY don't buy Macs, but Mac owners do SOMETIMES play games. so if you have limited resource, what are you gonna do? forget about the less important one. Let that sink in.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real, honest to goodness answer to this is don't hold your breath and wait at least a year. Probably more. The same question comes up for every native windows game and everyone already knows the reasons why it doesn't happen/happens much later.

I would rather see BW get together with Codeweavers to get it on Mac/Linux. That way it takes no development time away from the game, and gets it on other platforms. It also helps drive the WINE project as a whole. The game ran fine with wine in beta. The release client is what broke wine compatibility. Edited by Traugar

I am pretty sure when they first started develop SWTOR, they have considered the Mac audience, no way can they skipped on the decision on whether or not to support Mac.

2005 was a different time. Hell, it was in a different decade.

Again, I am not For or against the idea, coz' quite simply, I am an outsider of the company and do not know what is going on. who knows, maybe they need to build their cash flow back up first?

No risk, no reward.

I know, Gamers USUALLY don't buy Macs, but Mac owners do SOMETIMES play games. so if you have limited resource, what are you gonna do? forget about the less important one. Let that sink in.

And I think the answer to that is Mac users will absolutely and every time choose their Mac over TOR. Period. That's not even a question.

The question is why would EA allow $100million+ annual to just go untapped?

I support the idea of a Mac client for SWTOR, but am fine if they don't do it.

That's because I'm running SWTOR using bootcamp on my Mac and it's running fine.

Cheers.

Well, it's not like they'll ever hear from the Mac owners who aren't already playing in Windows... considering you can't post if you're not subscribing. ;)

The pre-launch forums saw a lot of traffic on this topic though, and I'm sure that had some influence on the present direction.

Edited by daemian

I think that the larger issue is that Bioware's major competitor, Blizzard, has had Mac OS X support since World of Warcraft Beta just over 7 years ago. In the MMORPG game space that SWTOR exists in the "big guy" is taking all the Mac players. A smart move would be for Bioware to go after that dedicated minority looking for something new.

I wasn't around for WoW Beta, but for Vanilla, there was no Mac OS X Support. I remember that because people in our guild kept moaning that they had to switch computers to raid MC. And likewise for TBC, OS X support came midway(?) because I remember one of our druids moaning he had to dual boot.

Edit: I support OS X Support, once they flesh out the mammoth amount of bugs in this game first. In the end, more access, means more people to play with.

Edited by Chaosmagistrate

I wasn't around for WoW Beta, but for Vanilla, there was no Mac OS X Support. I remember that because people in our guild kept moaning that they had to switch computers to raid MC. And likewise for TBC, OS X support came midway(?) because I remember one of our druids moaning he had to dual boot.

Sigh...

Of course there was. WoW Beta. WoW Vanilla. Cataclysm. Everything in between.

WoW shipped for the Mac on the same day, on the same discs, in the same box as the Windows version.

Misinformation squashed again.

if you bought a mac in the first place gaming wasnt the first thing on you mind..so no you cant change now. its done. development resources would be better spent elsewhere than pleasing a few hipsters in starbucks on their macbooks (let me guess the majority of you that own macs dont even own the Desktop mac pro right? because you want to be seen and out and about with your shiny macbooks) NO.

The question is why would EA allow $100million+ annual to just go untapped?

EA will be very lucky to see that many subs period, let alone that many subs from apple users... In all my years of playing WoW, I've known TWO people out of HUNDREDS I've befriended that played on Macs, and one of them only played on the Mac he had at work, and used a PC at home.

I don't see how you think over 6 million mac users would suddenly sub if a native mac client was released.

It would honestly shock me if more than a few hundred thousand wow users were exclusively using the mac client.

Macs are usually used for:

a. Looking cool while gabbing on facebook.

or

b. Doing serious work with programs not available on PCs.

Most people in group "b" that are gamers are likely knowledgeable enough about computers that they'd spend $800 to build a PC much better for gaming than their Apple rather than screw around on the machine they use for their lively-hood. Most people in group "a" probably don't play games.

People with macs that want to game who are unwilling to install bootcamp are a tiny, tiny market. If EA wants to spend resources on them, that's fine, but I'd rather they didn't if it would take anything at all away from developing more important things in this early stage of the game.

Sigh...

Of course there was. WoW Beta. WoW Vanilla. Cataclysm. Everything in between.

WoW shipped for the Mac on the same day, on the same discs, in the same box as the Windows version.

Misinformation squashed again.

Relax brah...I'm on your side. I'm no PC fanboy, but I don't follow Linux or Mac like a religion.

Maybe it was something else, like Intel-powered MAC support. Because I know people who had Macs who were complaining in Vanilla and TBC, but maybe they were using iMacs. it has been a very long time since I played WoW.

People with macs that want to game who are unwilling to install bootcamp are a tiny, tiny market. If EA wants to spend resources on them, that's fine, but I'd rather they didn't if it would take anything at all away from developing more important things in this early stage of the game.

Assumptions about people based on the computer they own aside...

Bioware, and most Mac users for that matter, should be in agreement with you on that last point. If we're all concerned about the game's quality and longevity as we claim, then it's in everyone's best interests to have the best possible product reach as many players as possible, regardless of platform.

Maybe it was something else, like Intel-powered MAC support. Because I know people who had Macs who were complaining in Vanilla and TBC, but maybe they were using iMacs. it has been a very long time since I played WoW.

It may have been a bit sketchy when Blizzard stopped supporting pre-intel Macs.

Edited by daemian

Assumptions about people based on the computer they own aside...

Bioware, and most Mac users for that matter, should be in agreement with you on that last point. If we're all concerned about the game's quality and longevity as we claim, then it's in everyone's best interests to have the best possible product reach as many players as possible, regardless of platform.

We're in agreement then. If it doesn't take resources away from fixing up bugs and adding in missing content, I'm all for it.

if you bought a mac in the first place gaming wasnt the first thing on you mind..so no you cant change now. its done. development resources would be better spent elsewhere than pleasing a few hipsters in starbucks on their macbooks (let me guess the majority of you that own macs dont even own the Desktop mac pro right? because you want to be seen and out and about with your shiny macbooks) NO.

Prejudiced much?

We're in agreement then. If it doesn't take resources away from fixing up bugs and adding in missing content, I'm all for it.

Absolutely. Nobody wants the game to suffer.

One thing people get right is that there are far fewer quality games available for people who only use OS X. So when a quality game does come along, it attracts a lot of people. Longer term, investing in a bigger player base hopefully means more resources to enhance and improve the game for everyone.

Edited by daemian

I'm a mac user and I DON'T want a native mac client.

I would much prefer that Bioware/EA continue to allocate resources to the game itself- bug fixes, balance patches, new content.

Bootcamp is a simple program and very easy to use. You are not a special snowflake for owning a mac, and you aren't entitled to a native client.

I play on a bootcamped mac everyday, and if given the option would probably continue to do so rather than play on a mac OS.

I would much prefer that Bioware/EA continue to allocate resources to the game itself- bug fixes, balance patches, new content.

Bootcamp is a simple program and very easy to use. You are not a special snowflake for owning a mac, and you aren't entitled to a native client.

I play on a bootcamped mac everyday, and if given the option would probably continue to do so rather than play on a mac OS.

Well, maybe Bioware will see your side and stop their plans for an OS X version. But I think it would ultimately benefit you whether or not you play in Windows or in OS X.

Edited by daemian

Then you're not a Mac user, you're a Windows user.

Boot Camp isn't a program that magically lets you run Windows. You have to purchase and install Windows, and give up your Mac while using it.

Absolutely. Nobody wants the game to suffer.

One thing people get right is that there are far fewer quality games available for people who only use OS X. So when a quality game does come along, it attracts a lot of people. Longer term, investing in a bigger player base hopefully means more resources to enhance and improve the game for everyone.

that's basically where I stand, Daemian. as long as it won't take away the valueable resources of current game development.

it didn't stop being a macintosh just because I partitioned the harddrive and installed a different OS.

Life is full of choices- you're stuck with the hardware you buy until you decide to buy new hardware, but you can always change your mind on how you want it to work.