Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Pencilvania

I 100% support a Mac Client. I am a film professional and have been using Macs for years. I currently run a 27" iMac and play SWTOR on bootcamp with Windows 7. The game runs fantastically. But for me personally, it would be much easier to not have to reboot my system (which is my main work computer) in Windows. That way I could quickly jump on, doing something real quick, and then jump over to an email, then back to playing, etc. Also I think it is very very true that making a Mac client will add a great deal of users. Pretty much everyone I work with is a Mac User and when I tell them I'm playing SWTOR, they ask HOW? And I say bootcamp of course. They then say "oh its not worth it to go through all that hassle." And there is quite a bit of hassle unfortunately. Installing a clean working version of windows on your mac is not the easiest thing to do, AND you have to guesstimate how much of your hard drive you want to permanently dedicate to windows. And you cannot change it one way or the other unless you start over from scratch. Some people earlier were talking about Mac users playing WOW because its their only option for an MMO on Mac OS X. This is true. I strongly believe that if a Mac client is released, there will be a great many players added very quickly!

edit - oh and my character name is SteveJobs - no joke haha. he's a sith warrior cyborg. fully prepared for the hate in 3...2...1......

Edited by paulgandersman

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you're not a Mac user, you're a Windows user.

Boot Camp isn't a program that magically lets you run Windows. You have to purchase and install Windows, and give up your Mac while using it.

You don't give up your mac... you partition your hard drive and can boot into either.

I have my MacBook Pro BootCamp'd so that I can run SWTOR when I'm on the road.

I'd definitely prefer to have a native Mac client though.

That's always one thing I've loved about Blizzard. They always release a Mac version of their games. Bioware, on the other hand...

They've been pretty good about it since they've been making games. The Mass Effect series is a notable exception.

Well, they farmed out KOTOR to somebody else. KOTOR is available on Steam, but not the Mac version, since it was another publisher.

Which is pretty frickin' lame, if you ask me.

Well, they farmed out KOTOR to somebody else. KOTOR is available on Steam, but not the Mac version, since it was another publisher.

Which is pretty frickin' lame, if you ask me.

It's on the App store though, if you want to play it on OS X.

Don't bother wasting the time and money on every random version of Linux/Mac... Keep the dev team focused on new contect and bug fixes. Once you get your 10 million WoW subscribers to come to TOR and you've got some money to spend on a second development & QC team, go for it.

I think BioWare should definitely get around to a Mac OS client, yes. More revenue for the game is a good thing.

That said, I don't think it should be high on the list of priorities. They should be worried about other things for now (bug fixes, economy, servers, customer support, etc.).

Once things stabilize, then yes. Definitely get to work on 64 bit clients, Mac OS clients, and all that other good stuff that we see in other MMO's years after release.

I 100% support a Mac Client. I am a film professional and have been using Macs for years. I currently run a 27" iMac and play SWTOR on bootcamp with Windows 7. The game runs fantastically. But for me personally, it would be much easier to not have to reboot my system (which is my main work computer) in Windows. That way I could quickly jump on, doing something real quick, and then jump over to an email, then back to playing, etc. Also I think it is very very true that making a Mac client will add a great deal of users. Pretty much everyone I work with is a Mac User and when I tell them I'm playing SWTOR, they ask HOW? And I say bootcamp of course. They then say "oh its not worth it to go through all that hassle." And there is quite a bit of hassle unfortunately. Installing a clean working version of windows on your mac is not the easiest thing to do, AND you have to guesstimate how much of your hard drive you want to permanently dedicate to windows. And you cannot change it one way or the other unless you start over from scratch. Some people earlier were talking about Mac users playing WOW because its their only option for an MMO on Mac OS X. This is true. I strongly believe that if a Mac client is released, there will be a great many players added very quickly!

edit - oh and my character name is SteveJobs - no joke haha. he's a sith warrior cyborg. fully prepared for the hate in 3...2...1......

Why not just get a second hard drive? You can get a pretty big SATA 6GB/S HDD for a hundred bucks or so, less if you only want SATA II. Way easier than partitioning.

it didn't stop being a macintosh just because I partitioned the harddrive and installed a different OS.

Life is full of choices- you're stuck with the hardware you buy until you decide to buy new hardware, but you can always change your mind on how you want it to work.

Yes, it actually did. While Apple's hardware is some of the best-engineered, the OS is what makes a Mac. Sorry.

Ugh people who buy macs and then expect to game on them (and expect games to be released for their outdated speced models) need to have their heads examined.

Well, most of them are specced well enough to play SWTOR, so there goes that argument.

Edited by daemian

Ugh people who buy macs and then expect to game on them (and expect games to be released for their outdated speced models) need to have their heads examined.

So then the largest game software developers in the world such as Blizzard, Valve, EA and BioWare are insane?

Edited by Lethality

Why not? Only one SATA port on the mobo? Weird shaped case that doesn't have room? Not being a smart ***, I honestly don't know.

iMacs are like vertical laptops, only with beautiful IPS monitors. They're all sealed up and a pain to upgrade, unlike a Mac Pro.

Edited by daemian

iMacs are like vertical laptops, only with beautiful IPS monitors. They're all sealed up and a pain to upgrade, unlike a Mac Pro.

Ahh, gotchya. What's the advantage of one of those over a laptop and separate display? Cheaper?

Ahh, gotchya. What's the advantage of one of those over a laptop and separate display? Cheaper?

The biggest advantage is the 21 or 27 inch high quality IPS monitor. Those are pretty expensive on their own, from any brand. Other than that it's basically a Sandy Bridge i5 and a 6750/6770/6970m in a unibody frame with an Apple mobo, and thunderbolt port for extra displays. You could fit an HDD + an SSD.

Edited by daemian

I don't understand all the Mac hate. I hate a PC desktop I built for gaming, but my laptop is a Macbook Pro. MAc laptops are so much better than any OC version, for everything except gaming.

On the flip side, PC desktops are monsters and Apple can't compete.

My 2 cents.

I personally use my mac laptop a lot, I know a lot of you will be "angry", but i even found no need for my pc desktop and will be donating it to my little old grandmother who lives all alone.......HOWEVER, as a gamer (mostly console) I do have the need for a computer that can handle games, which is why I used BOOT CAMP on mac to install windows 7, I can play any game I want and I make it awesome with wireless headsets/keyboards/mice and also plugging into the big screen tv...Awwww yeah

The main point here people is, mac users have a way to play the game even though it might be more convenient to have the little icon on your dock to play...

my 2 cents...

Tankboom

Honestly, this wouldn't be such a bad thing, but I'd really rather see a 64-bit version of the game for Windows 7 (Vista optional) before they put out a Mac OS version. I'm sure you Mac users can run the game well enough in Boot Camp for the time being. I'd also like to see them fix at least 90% of the bugs in the game before beginning producing a new client version of any kind.