Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

Hmmm.. I rolled need for my companion in hard modes the other night..

Kira looks awesome in Columi gear.

Only person who was upset was the other Jedi rolling need for his Kira as well (he didn't win the roll).

Guess it really boils down to getting everything straightened up ahead of time.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

lol, so selling for credits > actually using the item.

Are you at least going to make anything needed on in a group BoP? If not I can only imagine that gear will soon hit the GTN, and people will simply roll need every time the button lights up.

since drops are based off of the PCs in the group

I almost NEVER see any other stat drop from a boss.

I have seen it, but it's only been a few times out of 30 or 40 runs.

In other words, you're contradicting yourself.

Are you a wizard?

It can be weighted(influenced) closer to those classes in the instance but it is completely false that drops are based off the PC's. If that was the case we wouldn't see ANY pieces of scoundrel/gunslinger pieces with commando vanguard sage sage. But guess what... drops are not based on PC's.

I am thrilled by this response by BioWare - it's pretty much the same conclusion we came to a few weeks ago!

Keep it up, guys! I, for one, am impressed by how quickly you are responding to concerns and working towards making the game better every day.

EDIT: NOW, finally...

/thread

Edited by face_hindu

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

Well, a "Need for Companion" - Button between Need and Greed would be fine.

When you run a heroic dungeon for the 15th time for that one item then see it get taken by that class who doesn't use it at all "Because it's for his companion" you too will say that.

Youre particular point is fair but this was never specified by the OP as far as I can see. The OPs statement is a little controversial because its a generalisation and imo for green loot and below its polite to ask for the item for a companion but no major deal just to roll need.

I am thrilled by this response by BioWare - it's pretty much the same conclusion we came to a few weeks ago!

Keep it up, guys! I, for one, am impressed by how quickly you are responding to concerns and working towards making the game better every day.

EDIT: NOW, finally...

/thread

I think you find by the time this ever gets implemented it will be;

/game

How would it? What priority would they need to grant that option? Because people could still hit need and give the gear to their companions, just like they do now.

You didnt think it through.

That'd depend on the group.

There's quite a few people that put out that there will be no needing for companions, and it's followed, however, in those same groups some of the blues/other companions could have used go to loot rot/vendor. No reason for that loot to just rot/get vendored.

Easiest way I can think of to deal with any of it is if it's needed make it bind - even if it's normally boe.

Anything you need for you becomes exclusive to your character either permanently, or for a set amount of time - just like some of the companion gear can only be used by them, make it so a normal need makes it so you can only use it.

I only Need companion gear if everyone else greeded.

Which brings up the point - I've greeded before because everyone wanted us to 'greed only' for comp gear, then the last guy needs 'for his/her companion' now... you just stuck the rest of the group with the idea that you're going to need regardless of whatever rule was put out.

Giving people the option of needing for comp only and in a sense 'removing' the argument from the player's hands a little to allow people to gear up their companions without hitting 'need' and going over another player to get the companion gear.

Need vs greed is easy to fix. If you Need the item and win, it automatically binds to you. If you greed the item. It won't bind to you. ie you cant sell it for any reasonable profit. No sense in pissing off all your friends now. If you want to make a point, set its vendor value to 1 credit when a need wins as well. Now the resale value is only good if you greed. Lying will cease unless you've really pissed off the guy your rolling against.

Current need 'n greed works fine. The only problem seem to be misbehaving players. I am sure no one is able to fix this with a game update.

For me a better first step would be to work on loot tables, i.e. to include only those bound items that can be used by one of the group members. (ok, bound loot is bargain anyway)

Then maybe expand the group settings, so beneath master looter there might be a setting which disables greed so all group members have same chance to win and no one can accidently click the wrong button in the heat of a fight. Also ... it is easy to implement.

Another group setting might be to restrict bound loot to the toons who can use it, maybe even combined with the above option.

An important issue is to make the current group loot setting more transparent as it actually is, maybe using a set of icons, which are shown on group leader so you can see what has been set anytime. Also if master looter is set, there should be a message box when the group leader changes the loot setting and on join.

For me :cool: this would def make groups more enjoyable.

Edited by Leicester

If you need for companions, you're bad. There's no content in the game that requires a min/maxed companion. A well-geared companion is helpful, but that +4 STR you just gave Khem isn't going to change your gaming experience at all.

Content?

No.

But play styles; Yes. Thus you are wrong.

Khem is an extension of my character. From a rotation/gameplay perspective, my character and Khem are one unit. If Khem is not geared, it is as if I am running around in green gear when I could be using blue.

edit: I changed my mind. If I need on heavy gear, then a player that needs heavy gear to play would not get it perhaps. Leaving Khem with equal gear to another player would make the other player more gimped than me. Thus I'm wrong. Dammit.

OK well at least I thought it through.

Edited by Partyrockk

Im sure its being said and Im glad about the new system but for the mean time people say that they wait until everyone has greeded before needing for companion but what if they could have used it for companion, then if they knew you were going to need then they probably would have too.

There is another problem that if two people want to wait until everyone else has gone, an they aren't communicating for whatever reason (eg. language) then how do you know if they are waiting like you or they just comparing to see if they should need or not.

while i dont do this, its your fault of u dont set loot rules up before hand. if they do it after you set up loot rules then just have them kicked from the grp.

If common sense doesn't tell you that needing for a companion is bad when other players need it for their main characters, something is really wrong with the person then. If you have doubts about it, ask in group before doing so, but if a player needs it for a toon and someone else needs it for their companion ... lynch that *******.

EDIT: I realize that my original post is unnecessarily confrontational, and has ignited a pointless debate, so I will re-state the original (which follows below).

Dear People who are New to Need/Greed:

IF you roll "Need" on a drop that your character can't use, but other people in the group can, you run the risk of being booted from the group, being /ignored, and generally, lessening your chances of finding a decent group going forward. That is the sizable risk you take by rolling "Need" on gear your character can't equip, when there is another character in the group who CAN equip it.

IF you do this, some people will perceive you to be: a) a ninja, b) a selfish person, and/or c)

a person to avoid in the future.

Just a friendly word to people who are new to the Need/Greed system.

Original post follows:

Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

Period.

It's bad enough that some people think it is ok to roll Need on gear for their companions while other people who can use the gear are in your group.

What's worse is that the game allows this.

If you EVER roll Need on gear for your comp when someone of that class is in your group, you are a greedy, selfish person who is ruining someone else's experience.

Need for companions = Need for alts

Don't look down

Hence the reason I always make sure people understand loot rules when I start/join a group and I keep a **** list of people who don't follow them.

Since you want to dictate my decision on Need and Greed, can you come to my house and push my attack buttons too? I thought maybe since I pushed buttons to help down the boss I could make my own decisions on what will help my character, which might include a companion who helps me get things done in the 99% of the content that doesn't require 3 other players.

You are the selfish player, the one who is all jealous because someone else wanted something YOU thought YOU deserved. Please do put me on ignore.

/ignore

seriously, you maybe pushed buttons, your companion did not. So let the people have what they deserve. I think it´s OK to roll for your companion, if the group agrees.

But the fun part is, that selfish *'?&%s like you never ask beforehand, because you know what the answer would be.

Are you a wizard?

It can be weighted(influenced) closer to those classes in the instance but it is completely false that drops are based off the PC's. If that was the case we wouldn't see ANY pieces of scoundrel/gunslinger pieces with commando vanguard sage sage. But guess what... drops are not based on PC's.

the last 2 flashpoints that I recall:

• 2 relics that people could use.
  • 1 pair of gloves that someone could use
  • 1 pair of gloves that noone could use
  • 2 pieces of heavy with strength gear that noone could use