Do not roll "Need" for companion gear.

face_hindu

I usually look to see if anyone needs the piece, if they dont appear to I will politely ask if I can roll for my companion.

Just wait, if they put in a LFD tool, this will be every post on the forum.

I always greed for my companion and I hate people (sounds like you are in this category) who wait to the last moment after everyone rolled greed to say "mind if i need for my companion?"

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Why dont you just try being honest with them ... because trust me people will figure it out and you know what...they will black list you.

Honesty is the best policy just ask if you can roll for your companion on some stuff people tend to not mind if your up front with them unless your taking gear from someone in the group.

That's why cross server LFG is so awesome. Try to black list some one across all the servers.

So if the gear is not class dependent;

<Need>

<Need For Companion>

<Greed>

<Pass>

I press <Need>. Then.. Hey that's not for your class.. Me: It's for my companions class :) Then, But you should have pressed <Need for Companion>, Me: bah.. I need I press Need ..

And we're off on the same 6 thread thousands of posts long again.

Except...you won't be able to need on something your class can't use with the change.

No, force is blatantly untrue; it's a choice.

You're just saying that you personally would choose to roll on stuff that you don't necessarily want. There's a word for that: "greed"

It makes you uncomfortable because you have to deal your own greed and selfishness.

WTH are you talking about?

You know, I've worked in software development for some 30 years. I've never heard of this idea where-by you get something so blatantly wrong, and instead of fixing it, like that players of the non-matching class just cannot press the need button, you actually add another button.

If a PM brought this to me in my office, I'd fire him/her.

I like the Idea whre Companions get elevated over greed but not need. This is an MMO not a single player game. If your own personal companion needs to solo over other players in an MMO then gather commendations and buy your companions orange gear.

If WoW's roll system got something right in the last few years it was now allowing you to roll NEED for something that you couldn't or shouldn't actually use unless there was no matching player for that item.

Oh and I'd Fire You for not considering the audience of this game which is an MMO. A game geared around social activities and community.

Edited by Kindara

It's been a while since I posted in this thread and I just wanted to say that I happily need for companion gear. :D

Not for long :D

I like the Idea whre Companions get elevated over greed but not need. This is an MMO not a single player game. If your own personal companion needs to solo over other players in an MMO then gather commendations and buy your companions orange gear.

If WoW's roll system got something right in the last few years it was now allowing you to roll NEED for something that you couldn't or shouldn't actually use unless there was no matching player for that item.

Oh and I'd Fire You for not considering the audience of this game which is an MMO. A game geared around social activities and community.

Careful, he'll flag your post if you call him out.

I like the idea where Companions get elevated over greed but not need. This is a MMO not a single player game. If your own personal companion needs to solo over other players in an MMO then gather commendations and buy your companions orange gear.

The companions are an extension of the character, and gear upgrades for the companion directly affect the character when soloing and in groups when the players companion is active. I would agree with you if the game's solo content wasn't tuned for having an active companion, but it is and I don't. Yes, while you can try to solo the "solo" content, it will be harder and, in some cases, almost impossible or extremely time consuming.

AFAIK, you couldn't roll need on anything your class couldn't use even if there was no one in the group that couldn't use it. If your character simply couldn't use it, the only option was always "Greed".

I haven't been following this topic recently, have the devs made statements on this issue?

From this very thread date 2/14

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

Need vs. greed isn't as simple in our game because of companions, as well as Orange Gear and mod extraction.

We will probably limit the 'need' button to only people who match the primary class the gear is meant for, and add a new button in between need and greed for players to choose if they intend the gear for these purposes - this will allow CC users to roll against each other without competing with the guy who wants to sell the gear for credits.

I don't have a timeline on this for you guys right now, though - certainly not in the next major patch. In the meantime, I strongly recommend that players who care clearly decide the expected need/greed role behaviors ('no companion need rolling or you're out!') when a group is initially formed. In the meantime, I'll work on getting this feature in the works.

best news i've heard all day!!

I just wanted to say I support this with ever fiber of my being. :D

No, force is blatantly untrue; it's a choice.

You're just saying that you personally would choose to roll on stuff that you don't necessarily want. There's a word for that: "greed"

It makes you uncomfortable because you have to deal your own greed and selfishness.

WTH are you talking about?

I'm responding to someone who said that he would be "forced to roll on stuff that he didn't necessarily want"

Forced is a blatantly untrue statement. He would choose to.

After that I speculated as to why he's uncomfortable with that idea.

I have noticed a crazy amount of ignorance regarding the basics of loot etiquette in TOR.

I suppose that is the double-edged sword of a title like Star Wars.

It brings in the numbers, but a lot of those folks are Star Wars fans trying an MMO, not MMO players trying Star Wars.

So, troopers can continue to need for their companions...

As an operative, the companion I use also uses the same stats as myself, and one I don't use also does. They get my hand-me-downs, but I don't roll need for them. I like to believe the majority of people are honest and decent at heart and won't take advantage of loopholes like this. And if they aren't, well, they are the ones that have to live with themselves. We aren't always punished for our transgressions, but we are always punished by them.

I'm responding to someone who said that he would be "forced to roll on stuff that he didn't necessarily want"

Forced is a blatantly untrue statement. He would choose to.

After that I speculated as to why he's uncomfortable with that idea.

I can only guess you are arguing for the sake of arguing. NBG loot systems have been around long enough that you should know why they exist, whether you agree with the concept or not. I can't believe you don't see how switching from a tiered rolling system to a straight roll/pass would alter many players' rolling habits. Need/CC need/greed still allows people to get blue or better companion gear without hosing other players, especially when the need option will be regulated by the AI.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this thread again now that my side won. :p

Well done for missing the whole point... I don't care if they add 45 different buttons to keep you all happy.

It's the whole add a button instead of fixing the real problem that I was talking about. But you go on and continue posting about stuff you have no clue about.

I have noticed a crazy amount of ignorance regarding the basics of loot etiquette in TOR.

I suppose that is the double-edged sword of a title like Star Wars.

It brings in the numbers, but a lot of those folks are Star Wars fans trying an MMO, not MMO players trying Star Wars.

Loot etiquette established in other games does not fit the systems placed in this game. Please stop trying to force players of this game to adhere to loot policies designed for other games.

The companions are an extension of the character, and gear upgrades for the companion directly affect the character when soloing and in groups when the players companion is active. I would agree with you if the game's solo content wasn't tuned for having an active companion, but it is and I don't. Yes, while you can try to solo the "solo" content, it will be harder and, in some cases, almost impossible or extremely time consuming.

So, as an altaholic I play all my alts as an extention of each other (supplying each other) ..so using your example, I should be able to need on stuff for my alts too?

* for the record, I'm against the added button. I'd rather just have the need roll restricted to armor type + primary stat. Because other threads on this subject have shown me that three choices are already too many ..I can't see where a fourth won't also be abused.

Don't attack low level people in PvP, don't ride your car on the station (I know, but call it a car), don't QQ on the forums, don't *** in my pool. Seems like a lot of people want to take the freedom of playing away from others. Flashpoints and such are not to be experienced, it seems, but as farming runs to get gear. Madness, utter madness. Which is why I always pass on the loot in group because someone--who will more than likely use the gear for their alt or sell it--will cry if they don't get the item (that's every item from every drop from every run...), but whatever.

I suppose no one should ever use the "greed" bnutton--which brings to mind, why, if people say don't use "need" to gear up a companion, they don't mind if someone--usually themselves--push greed. Best to take need and greed out and give all the loot to the one wearing the biggest diaper.

I am being over the top here on purpose. The buttons are there to be used. Master looter, round-robin, and free for all are there for a reason...any other concerns are to be worked out by individuals in the groups, not dictated by someone on the forums. :mad:

So, as an altaholic I play all my alts as an extention of each other (supplying each other) ..so using your example, I should be able to need on stuff for my alts too?

* for the record, I'm against the added button. I'd rather just have the need roll restricted to armor type + primary stat. Because other threads on this subject have shown me that three choices are already too many ..I can't see where a fourth won't also be abused.

Your chacters companions can make use of the bind on pickup items you win. Your alts can not. So it's not really the same thing.

Your chacters companions can make use of the bind on pickup items you win. Your alts can not. So it's not really the same thing.

Yeah, you're correct for the most part. But the point I was aiming at is that when you go past the most conservative definitions and add in things such as companions then you are basically giving licence for players to roll cc/need on anything they can find plausable justification for.

I like that they are planning on restricting the need roll but am confused as to why they want to add a button. As plausable justification can probably be found for just about everything else.

Seems like unneeded coding to me.