Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter drivel.

How you LOOK has no bearing on how your gear performs, and you blathering on about 'sustainable items' is great....well researched, except that all falls apart at level 50. On my Jedi Knight I got lucky and found a robe that looks okay and so far I've been able to mod it to keep up with my level, however...the same cannot be said of my Sith Assasin, Sith Marauder or my Gunslinger.

utter drivel?

If they scrap the mod system then that is a 100% u-turn from what they said they were going to do for having 'moddable items from low levels to high level'

That being said, I am not morally opposed to an a-tab. I just like the system as they are laying it out.

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

I can not possibly praise this decision enough. Way to go BioWare!

Having an Appearance tab is all well and good, but with this system, I get to feel that much more involved with my character, getting all the right parts to form my set of choice, finding the rights mods in the right combinations to make it how I want it for what I'd like to do. It's just fun and exciting, like a little nifty puzzle with some RNG involved. Probably not so much RNG since I'm a PvP player, but you get the idea.

Fully in favor, keep it up!

Now we just need chat bubbles and perhaps some talking animations for our characters and I will be totally happy.

BBL, re-rolling Juggernaut for the much better looking gear.

And I honestly have no problem doing 50 levels all over again on the same class. The story is just, plain, FUN!

Edited by The_Raven_Lord

By being vocal you just placed yourself in the minority. an individual can never speak for 'the rest of us'

That being said? Before the game launched, well before Beta was over they talked about modifiable items that would work into end game if we wanted them to. This isn't a deviation of what was promised.

Scrapping the mod system and sustainable items for an appearance tab however? would be.

Who said anything about scrapping that? Please explain why one excludes the other.

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

Does this mean the exploit allowing you to remove the armoring from items in which it is locked is not frowned upon? And what about items that arent even partially moddable? Will our champion/battlemaster lightsabers be made to be moddable? I would atleast like to change the colour of my lightsaber.

Who said anything about scrapping that? Please explain why one excludes the other.

adding an appearance tab would scrap the need for a modding items for appearances sakes. You would just use the items for appearance and who would care about modding them?

It would scrap one for the other to put in the A-tab. Whether you said it or not.

What about non-moddable purple items? Currently, there is a level 15 purple version of something very similiar Watchmen's Vest(Tython Commendation gear), but it's not moddable at all. And as far as I know, there are no moddable versions of any gear with that type of look.

That's the blue vest right? One of my favorite looks and I just found the schematic for the moddable verssion today. I was so exited! So yes, I assume moddable versions of the majority of the gear exists, but it can be pretty challenging to get.

Anyways, awesome changes I look forward to seeing as this was one of my major annoyances about the game. Hopefully we see the hood up/down ability soon and a some more armor models.

Edited by jediabiwan

You had me until this part.

Please don't add in useless complexity for no justifiable reason. :\

There is a justifiable reason, so you don't just farm the first boss for the mods. AKA Helmet only Mod drops from the last boss, Chest only from the 2nd to last boss, etc.

I have mixed feelings about this.

First, item modding:

One of my friends in game has worn the same ugly brown robe he got on Taris all the way up 50, and it's not by choice.

Concerning appearances:

It's already been requested many times to have an 'appearnce tab' type feature. I am here to tell you today that this would be so much preferable to what we have today. Trying to find orange items with matching graphics, with which I can spend a bunch of money (especially if I had to pull mods out) to mod up to a useful level.

I frankly disagree with the dev statements above. End game armor shouldn't be salvaged for parts. Especially not the set bonus. It's unique, and distinctive. People should wear this stuff with pride. If the graphics of this armor is a problem for people, then bioware should fix the graphics, not make it more modable. End-game armor is a badge of pride, something you had to earn, and everyone should be able to see that on your character.

Shortened quote to the relevant parts I am responding to

1st, the brown robe issue. I've seen plenty of JKs and JCs in various gear, not all brown robes. The mods can be removed (and for free if you use a worktable) and put in anything you can wear. My JC uses the Elegant Dress and my JK is in a mix of Trooper and Smuggler gear modded appropriately of course. So, if your friend is still in the Taris brown robe and doesn;t like it, its his own fault

The Mod system makes an appearance tab unnecessary. I've been in games with an appearance tab and quite frankly, they get annoying at times. The mod system with the changes lised by the Devs earlier in this topic, makes an appearance tab unnecessary

End game gear is just more gear. It is not a badge of anything, it is just gear. You want an appearance tab but then talk about how end game gear should be shown with pride, which goes against your whole appearance argument. The mod system with the ability to move even the set bonus means we won't have towear something we don;t want to to be raid viable and we don;t NEED an Appearance Tab

About light/medium/heavy armor Orange schematics:

I heard that you get them from UWT, but I also heard that you can also get them from finding the particular armor you want, then RE it from blue to purple to orange. Is this true? I keep hearing yes and no, I'd really like a definitive answer. Thanx!

Man Keeping your appearance will be a serious gold sink. I am level 48 and wanted to remove an purple level 47 mod to put in my new robe, and each purple level was nearly 14k gold to remove. That means if an epic armor piece has 3 pieces you need then swtching mods to a moddable piece of gear would cost 42k. I really need to save my gold. I have 4 slots of moddable gear, so to get them to all epic level items, I will need the tokens to buy gear plus 168k+ because I am sure lvl 50 mods cost more. So glad I don't have to wear the funny hat and dress when I get purple drops. My Body Type 4 Shadow thanks you Bioware.

Great, exactly what i said i wanted them to do.

I hope the A-Tab thread will die now.

Great, exactly what i said i wanted them to do.

I hope the A-Tab thread will die now.

So do I. But that'll only happen if Bioware comes through on their promise. If they don't or can't, then the a-tab thread will continue. It's literally entirely up to Bioware now, as to which happens.

Emmanuel, I'm excited that these changes are being implemented. I have a question though. Are there plans to continue adding orange armor? I believe you previously made a statement saying that all appearances would have an orange version, but as it stands this is not true. As an example, I have been completely unable to find an orange version of the following, in database sites OR ingame. http://www.torhead.com/item/8h0uIGt/pilots-overcoat This, IMO, is the best looking chest piece an IA or medium armor companion can have, yet it seems to only exist as a level 15 green.

Emmanuel, I'm excited that these changes are being implemented. I have a question though. Are there plans to continue adding orange armor? I believe you previously made a statement saying that all appearances would have an orange version, but as it stands this is not true. As an example, I have been completely unable to find an orange version of the following, in database sites OR ingame. http://www.torhead.com/item/8h0uIGt/pilots-overcoat This, IMO, is the best looking chest piece an IA or medium armor companion can have, yet it seems to only exist as a level 15 green.

There's also the problem of there being so many armor sets that either don't have a full orange set, or the full set of armor isn't available at all. For example, the Ablative Terenthium set for the Sith Warrior. Where's the rest of it, and why aren't the parts that were datamined orange quality?

This next thing isn't entirely on topic, but there's also a set that was removed from the game, and to my knowledge a full orange set of it also cannot be found. It was a set of heavy armor for the Jedi Guardian that had blue markings on it. It used to be available from the standard Jedi Knight PvP armor vendor, but has since been replaced with two sets that both have brown markings. The only other pieces I could find with the same look were orange quality, but the rest of the set no longer exists.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

What about augment slots?

Other than that OH MY GOD THIS IS THE BEST NEWS YOU COULD HAVE EVER DONE

Fantastic changes.

It would also be great to be able to use social gear (the Republic Officer's uniform and the empire equivalent, for example) on Medium and Heavy Armor characters and not be punished for using what is currently only ever classified as "Light" armor.

I love the look of several social gear sets, but they are poor choices for Medium and Heavy armor users, since even on dps who shouldn't be taking much damage, they do take some from aoe effects, and nobody wants to put more strain on their healers than necessary, especially just for an appearance.

All social gear sets are totally unusable in PvP situations for Medium and Heavy Armor users, since that is a serious disadvantage for no gain. Some of those social sets are great looking.....and only a fool would use them :(

Edited by Oeberon

What about people like me that have removed the mod's from PvP gear at my own cost and placed it in my Orange gear - EG. Chest parts put into an Orange head - will i then loose A HUGE amount of stats because they will ONLY be able to work in chest slots.

OR

will all existing pre-removed mods + enhancements remain intact?

please!

i don't want to have to re-farm gear.