Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the modable gear idea, however as a synthweaver I am truly dissapointed in its rollout. Yes I can make the orange gear, but there is no advantage stat-wise for me to be synthweaver. A lot of work went into RE'ing greens and blues to make artifact (purple) gear. But this artifact gear is worthless compare to the fact I can put better stats on modable gear. Synthweaving turned out to be nothing more than a huge credit sync. I have made credits on the auction house, but I feel bad because the people that buy my gear are smart enough to know that modable gear is better. Every person that has taken up a craft is saying the same thing, save biochemists. It seems the only worthwhile crew skill one should take these days is Biochem, and I am thinking of rerolling to one like some of my friends.

What I would suggest is increasing the stats on the epics we craft so that they are competative with the fact that I have been wearing the same oufit since lvl 35. Give us a reason to wear the crafted gear!

Edited by Zarriya

To my experience, no one has done this better than rift with the wardrobe system (implemented barely 2 months down the line apparently a lot of people REEEEEALlY wanted this)

essentially , any piece of gear you liked the look off, you could save, and then equip it on your "wardrobe " and that particular slot of your gear would look like the piece on your wardrobe , but you would have equipped the gear with the stats you needed (ie better)

so , you are a powertech but kinda like the way that +strenght green helmet looks?

no problem , take it for your wardrobe

also, they had dyes in but i realize that requires a system in place ont he game engine , but the wardrobe could most definetly be implemented

You had me until this part.

Please don't add in useless complexity for no justifiable reason. :\

why they can simply put the slot required in the description? and there is a very good reason your helmet isn't supposed to be as strong as your chest or main hand weap or have the same stats as the chest or main hand it would mean you could stack immense stats

DCUO actually had a great system.

You acquire the "style" of every piece of gear you equip.

You can set your "style" piece by piece and look exactly how you want.

Simple, effective, ultimately 10's of thousands of combinations, you can look original and still want different types of gear just for the style. It was always nice getting old crappy green drops to complete a set of a certain style. It helped keep raid runs kinda fun because you could get other drops passed that last epic piece you need.

I'm not sure if DCUO created that, it's just the only mmo I've played like it.

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

This is great news...

ETA? Finally got some level 50 PvP and PvE gear on my BH but I flat out refuse to wear it. :)

thats great news, thank you bioware.

I had been running a matching gear set from lower levels and just kept my mods up to date on it because i loved the way it looked, but now i started getting my tier pieces and they made me want to cry they looked so bad. I just want to be able to move the mods over and have equally strong gear with the same set bonuses and get to look how I want to look, not how bioware wants me to look.

this is one thing i always hated about WoW, often times i hated the tier sets but had no other options, so bioware, get moving on this so i don't have to stare at the ugliest set of armor i have seen yet!

Actually in my opinion those endgame sets all look great, the only problem, which you are blatantly trying to show, is the textures, which you obviously set on low (my apologies if your computer can't hold high textures). If you set them on high you'd see a vast improvement. Also, by 1.2 we will have improved high res textures. The models look amazing as they are now.

We have bind on pickup, why not have Bind on Chest piece, or Bound to Boots. To avoid the problem of people just farming the easiest armour bit.

Personally the Jugg's PvP set has grown on me since I got it, but I'd still prefer to use something different while retaining the stats.

I think a wardrobe slot would be a better solution to this, the cost of pulling the mods in the higher tiers is insane.

For the PvP set I'd need to pull 3 mods from my Helm, Top, Bottom, Boots and gloves. At the last check it was around 27k per mod. You'd also still be stuck with the belt and bracer's which have no mods, so you'd have to wear them.

The reason is very simple.

They don't want people farming the boots of the first raid boss, remove the mods, and construct a FULL set of raiding gear.

They want the "chest" or helmet to be droped by the last bosses, for various reasons.

Hence, the mods in those will only fit chest or helmet peices, but more importantly, the boots mods from the first boss will only fit boots.

This restriction will MOST LIKELY only apply to end game raiding mods, and not to the other mods in game.

OH, and please, to the others asking for an a-tab, please, just stop. This is clearly NOT the direction they want to go, so if you are not satisfied, go play another game.

This^^

Oh and can't wait to see this update, very sweet!

I think bioware should just have top mods for pvp/pve (purps and deep purps) be able to be had with drops and points purchasing with tokens with the current system, much like condemnation venders for each planet. That way for example a purp item fully moded costs as much as purchasing all the purp mods themselves to make a new peice just as powerful.

Its pretty stupid thinking that having fully modded gear would ruin progression. Just have the drops be the same, instead of one piece have it be all the mods for upgrading a piece to the same level. Or allow a top line purp to be sacraficed to mods for a cosmetic outfit.

If you don't want progression to be too fast, then don't drop them too much.

The whole problem would have been adverted if end game armor was not buttugly. You don't have to force people to use it by stats if it was actually desired better then other armor, but its not, people hate it, they wear it all for the stats.

Its gawdy over the top junk thats a throwback to wow design. People with no understanding of fashion and design of what they do in good movies and media; design stuff like autisitc ansparager Koreans and Japaneses game designers who think if you just tack on crap everywhere it looks 'epic'. Giant shoulder pads, and just crap everywhere that is a gross parody of any immersion.

examples to avoid

http://www.wallcoo.net/Game/pristontale/wallpapers/1024x768/13.html

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2008-01-13/20080113185902558,1.shtml (ok that looks sort of cool but having anyone but a god wear it in a fantasy world would be out of place)

I know that people might have been giving flack to bioware for making bounty hunters boba fett clones, and sith warriors vader clones, and inquistors maul and emporer clones. But you know what, those are good designs to follow, that fit within star wars and and coherent sci-fi world. This end of the line crap looks like stuff from wow, and Korean MMO's.

People diss lucas but seriously, we need his designs, look at the movies, you have stuff that is of a different world but still has a coherent look that fits within a sci-fi world that draws from real world culture.

Its not like its imposable to have mmo armor not look like its designed by anti-social cultureless asparager spawn. LoTRO has a appearance system, and armor that draws from real world cultures that is not retarded. In fact with this game, the mid level gear looks very good, like stuff from the movies, just need to keep that and refine it.

Edited by patoman