Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

I'm so happy & expecting this.

:D

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

Great news indeed, I am happy that they show some love to the aesthetics part of the game. Finally I can keep looking for the parts of a armor set I want and not feel that it will be useless.

I agree although i feel even raids/operations need a nerf in the loot what i suggest is this.

Make them drop schematics and low end versions of the a mod/item.

These can then be deconstructed by a crafter so that the crafter may then craft it in a better form. This way players will need to actually have crafters of all kinds in order to get good late game gear. Rather than just ignoring them all together like they are now.

As it stand the only true useful crafting skill is biochem, this needs to change.

This is excellent news. This means my agent gets to keep rocking a trenchcoat and sunglasses, so thank you a lot :)

Awesome news, and I guess thanks to those who pushed on these issues, glad to know SWTOR's customization system is intended to be functional throughout the game.

I think I just had a nerdgasm.

this is AMAZING.

can anyone just confirm for me, this means that I can use some level 40 orange armour modded with end game stuff and not have any drawbacks from using what armour I like the look of?

Very nice! Gives people the ability to keep the outfits they like and people can avoid looking the exact same way at end-game PvP and PvE.

Definitely good news, but where does this leave Armormechs and Cybertechs? I can crit craft Rakata bracers and belts, which is definitely good, but it doesn't seem like Cybertech gets many alternatives. Also, as better gear is introduced, the ability to craft things with augments grows less and less relevant, since you're just looting gear or getting it via tokens.

Are there any plans to give gear crafters the ability to add an augment slot to a dropped/quest reward/non-crafted, bound item?

Excellent stuff. While you're at it, how about putting the faction-specific gear(uniforms, armour, iconic doo-dads)as Oranges on a vendor at each side's fleet? The models for all of it are already ingame, but they're spread variously between the CE vendor, loot and craftable schematics with completely unintuitive names, and not being available at all. Alternatively, give it all to crafters, but with sensible names(no more "TZ-666 Awesomator" nonsense, just stuff like "Imperial Uniform(normal), Imperial Uniform(NCO), Imperial Uniform(Officer), Imperial Uniform(Naval Officer)...well you get the idea).

Oh man, I'd kill (NPCs) to be able to rock one of those sweet high ranking Imperial uniforms.

Definitely good news, but where does this leave Armormechs and Cybertechs? I can crit craft Rakata bracers and belts, which is definitely good, but it doesn't seem like Cybertech gets many alternatives. Also, as better gear is introduced, the ability to craft things with augments grows less and less relevant, since you're just looting gear or getting it via tokens.

Are there any plans to give gear crafters the ability to add an augment slot to a dropped/quest reward/non-crafted, bound item?

This would be awesome. I'm very concerned for Amormechs and Synthweavers in the end-game scene.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! /farnsworth

This would be awesome. I'm very concerned for Amormechs and Synthweavers in the end-game scene.

They are useless at the moment, just be one long enough to craft your bracer and belt then dump it for something useful, like biochem.

that is a great idea.

I'd also throw in there for reverse engineering.

Process:

Max out your crafting

Loot epic gear with mods

Reverse Engineer Gear/Mods until you get the crafting schem

Be able to Crit Craft the mod to make it better

Crafting materials would have to be epic, along the lines of using the original mod/item + epic crafting mats in hopes of crafting a critted mod. That way the epic crafting mat is blown in the attempt to crit and you can't just continually attempt without some chance of failing/losing something.

Critted mods would be highly sought after.

*yes I see alot of holes in this idea, but just throwing something out there for crafting.

Edited by yoshua

dont really like any of your ideas at all. the best and only solution is cosmetic slots.

but moddable gear is very viable at endgame, you can get lvl 51 armor mods, you only lose out on lvl 56 and lvl 58 armor mods but you can get lvl 56 and 58 regular mods and easily put them in your mod gear. but the real reason i dont like your ideas is pvp, all the pvp gear armor mods should never be put in anything but pvp gear since it allows us to tell how geared you are by looking at you...

cybertech is fine, syntheweaving already gets 140 rating bracers/belt, it does NOT need mods, artificing is the one that needs some love, it gets jack crap at lvl 50, no one uses those crappy relics, no one! what artificing needs is a lvl 58 color crystal that is bind on pickup, that would make it unique! and pvp weapons should have mod slots (not for hilt) but for the other slots so you can customize them and strip the color crystal out.

You had me until this part.

Please don't add in useless complexity for no justifiable reason. :\

There is a justifiable reason. The reason why they had made it impossible to remove armoring from purple items was because for PvE gear they wanted to make it necessary to kill all the bosses in an operation by making them all drop a different armor piece. If you were able to remove the armoring though, you could just farm the easiest boss for boots to extract their armoring and mods.

So it seems they decided to make those armoring removable again, but they will be restricted so that chest armoring will be able to go only in a chest piece and so on. That's actually simpler than their original plan which was to make armoring equivalent to the purple armor pieces available elsewhere as random drops or something.

dont really like any of your ideas at all. the best and only solution is cosmetic slots.

but moddable gear is very viable at endgame, you can get lvl 51 armor mods, you only lose out on lvl 56 and lvl 58 armor mods but you can get lvl 56 and 58 regular mods and easily put them in your mod gear. but the real reason i dont like your ideas is pvp, all the pvp gear armor mods should never be put in anything but pvp gear since it allows us to tell how geared you are by looking at you...

cybertech is fine, syntheweaving already gets 140 rating bracers/belt, it does NOT need mods, artificing is the one that needs some love, it gets jack crap at lvl 50, no one uses those crappy relics, no one! what artificing needs is a lvl 58 color crystal that is bind on pickup, that would make it unique! and pvp weapons should have mod slots (not for hilt) but for the other slots so you can customize them and strip the color crystal out.

Let me guess, you are an artificer?

Artifice makes the magenta crystal after you get the schem from belsavis world boss. All crafting is lacking right now.

Thanks much for the information,sir.

My question on social gear is that will it ever have one or more open Augment slots? In other words, can they have a critical success when being made? Thanks!

Thank you very much, such a change will certainly be much appreciated by the community as a whole. Now the next step in making customizable equipment viable would be making more pieces available to customize.

One of the first statements about the customization system I read was that every piece of green gear is available as an orange somewhere. Currently, it seems the only way you can get an actual orange piece of gear via crafting is getting the crafting schematic for it by scoring a critical on mission skills, and that will just be a totally random piece, which means the chances of you getting that robe you want is so low that you could probably do nothing but queue diplomacy missions for weeks and could still go without the one you want.

On another note, marauders are crying for hooded robes and there are probably some other classes that want that one look that is in the game already, diversifying what is there already would be awesome.

There is a justifiable reason. The reason why they had made it impossible to remove armoring from purple items was because for PvE gear they wanted to make it necessary to kill all the bosses in an operation by making them all drop a different armor piece. If you were able to remove the armoring though, you could just farm the easiest boss for boots to extract their armoring and mods.

So it seems they decided to make those armoring removable again, but they will be restricted so that chest armoring will be able to go only in a chest piece and so on. That's actually simpler than their original plan which was to make armoring equivalent to the purple armor pieces available elsewhere as random drops or something.

Agreed completely. If they didn't make them unique to various types of pieces then you could just farm the lowest and easiest boss over and over until you got the stats you want. This way you can still customize any mod gear to your heart's content but you still have to go through all the content to do so.

Edited by GamewizX