Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

One potential point of worry: will there be a mechanic that allows any existing piece of gear to have an augment slot added to it? Because if we can't take an existing purple/orange item and upgrade it to hold an augment, then we will once again be pigeonholed into wearing limited gear options with a lack of appearance choice. Although this time it would be the crafted BoE [Exceptional] gear that Synthweavers and Armormechs can make instead of the operation and PVP gear sets. Edited by Malakriss

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news indeed. Just wish SOME orange gear from Empire side would cross over to Republic side and visa versa.

As i understand how it is now, it all depends on which side your on, if you view a crafted Orange helmet item which is only available to equipt for Sith Warrior & Bounty Hunter as a republic player it shows as space hipster glasses, but if you view the same item as a Empire player you will see it as resperator like Darth Malgus have.

Hope some time in the future, Empire has alot of hefty looking gear.

Edited by Noxside

One thing Bioware has done bad has made some fugly armor. This where I really hate the WoW cut&paste. Crazy shoulders are ok in a game like WoW, but they look rediculous in this game. I hate it when NPCs have plumbing on their shoulders. I know its difficult in a space aged game to have differences, but this could have all been solved real easy by allowing people to customize their armor and only dropping mods. Either way, the end game armor is an assault on mine, and many other sense of aesthetics, and they need to realize that people don't mind looking like a brown robed jedi or a black robed sith. I, myself, just want the current mandalorian armor in red and I'll mod that till the Banthas come home.

I would dig on some Neo-crusader armor from the social vendor, but currently there is no heavy armor social item.

First, I want to say how great these changes seem to be, and how impressed I am with BWs response and acknowledgement to the community. The mod system was not working as intended at 50, and they took note and started a fix. This fix may not even come for another month (hopefully sooner), but I can go ahead and start collecting all the orange gear I could ever want....which brings me to my next point.

The only conceivable problem I see myself is quickly filling up bank slots with orange gear. I already have a cargo hold bay full of orange gear and I haven't even been trying to collect it. My only suggestion is to have a wardrobe or separate tab (like vehicle) that stores your orange gear. This is NOT an appearance tab, but just a place where you can store, sort, and upgrade your mods in a more user-friendly way. You would still have to upgrade each piece of gear to keep it up to date (if you choose). This is simply a foreseeable problem I see with storage that could be taken care of at an early stage in development.

When you have something in the game that promotes collecting, such as vanity pets, vehicles, even companions, then storage will become an issue. All of these other things currently have their own tabs to alleviate that issue. Since most mod gear is bound when you equip it or win the piece, I think a separate storage tab would be appropriate. Again this is NOT an appearance tab, but strictly a separate storage for orange gear.

Even a wardrobe on your ship would alleviate the foreseeable problem.

P.S. Thanks Bioware and keep up the good work!

I agree completely with this post from 14 pages ago.

I had the idea that there could be a nice chest or closet, depending on the ship, in the captains chambers. There needs to be more and more to do on the ship. I even have a DOOR I can't open on my IA ship. A friggin door, that's locked, that I can't enter, on MY ship. I want to grab a blow torch and slice it open.

Resolve that issue Bioware! I know you're reading this! I want to open that door on my ship.

But really, keeping your clothes in your room is such a no brainier.

Also, let your pets run around your ship if you have it set to that. Just, like if I get the Mini Sandcrawler, and I'm on my ship, let it go explore, if I get more, let them explore.

A room with my most recently used Speeder in it would be great too. You know, like I'm actually lugging it around with me, like, to cull the illusion that it's in my pocket or something. Hell maybe have room for your 5 most recently used speeders. or 3 or 2 or whatever. However many you want. It would be cool.

Yeah I love the ships but more interactivity and customization is always good. And yeah, a place to store up to 1,999 orange items in your Captains Chambers. Turn it into something other than a completely non interactive room.

Edited by SilverScreemer

NO, you are really not. Until every single graphic armor design is also available in the "customizable/orange/purple/modifiable or whatever bull*&^ you want to call it" format then it will always be inferior to an appearance tab and you are not really supportive of players who care about their appearances at all. It's just lip service. We understand you wanted to try something different. It sounded good but it just didn't work out. please accept it. More experienced MMOs than this one has struggled with the same problem over the years and it took them awhile to figure it out but they did. The Appearance Tab, an elegant solution for a more civilized age ;). Please just add it already and all our appearance problem will be solved.

This isn't an A-tab thread. Go away.

One thing Bioware has done bad has made some fugly armor. This where I really hate the WoW cut&paste. Crazy shoulders are ok in a game like WoW, but they look rediculous in this game. I hate it when NPCs have plumbing on their shoulders. I know its difficult in a space aged game to have differences, but this could have all been solved real easy by allowing people to customize their armor and only dropping mods. Either way, the end game armor is an assault on mine, and many other sense of aesthetics, and they need to realize that people don't mind looking like a brown robed jedi or a black robed sith. I, myself, just want the current mandalorian armor in red and I'll mod that till the Banthas come home.

I would dig on some Neo-crusader armor from the social vendor, but currently there is no heavy armor social item.

Nothing WoW has done is as bad as IA PvP level 50 armor.

You clearly haven't seen the lvl 50 SI gear.

mah gewdness . . . .

SW armor looks like a lot of turkey feathers or some broken nfl helmets made of bamboo.

I mean WHAT THE ****!?

It's not ugly. It's *********** retarded.

I laugh actually because I can't imagine what kind of ******** actually approved such *********** epic fail art Ina Star Wars universe.

Steve Wonder would design 500000000000000 better stuff.... With his eyes closed...

Edited by LordSatoh

The thing that bugs me most about moddable gear is that, they never bloody come in sets. I got schems for lvl 27 outcast greaves, chest, and helmet. I go look everywhere only to find out the gloves and boots aren't moddable. What's the bloody point then? How is having moddable gear worth anything if I still look like a clown because I can't get a matching set of moddable gear? Wasn't the whole point to allow me to look how I want? Spent the past week trying to find a good looking set of moddable gear that me and my trooper bros can use, with no luck.

This isn't an A-tab thread. Go away.

It's a thread about gear customization and everything he said is completely right. There was no reason to waste so much time on a feature that doesn't even work at endgame when they could have just copied the Appearance Tab system.

I know people love the modding system, and hate the end game armor. I dislike both, I find the mod system to be a royal pain that I don't want to deal with and I wish that we just had an appearance tab or maybe make the modding system less cumbersome. Or here's a novel idea, make the gear less unappealing in the first place.

If so many people think it's horrible, which obviously they do...then maybe someone with a little better sense of what is esthetically pleasing should have input on what gear designs go into the game...just a thought.

Here is another idea:

Since the other problem seems to be, its nice to be able to make mods, but let them be worth it.

I am still a cybertech and yesterday a mod schematic dropped from a boss, first of the recipe was BoP (which is bad, because what if your cybertech person couldn't come that raid, and lets be honest, how many non biochems are raiding now..) Second, it needs a resource which is not avaiable atm.

So here is the idea:

Make these recipie drops BoE, and make us buy these rare resources required (make them BoE) with the commendations we get from operation bosses.

The people who want moddable gear can then buy something with these commendation, and those that want tier giear can buy actual tier pieces.

This way, if you have multiple raiding groups in your guild, and have dedicated guild crafters for each kind (a synthweaver, armortech and a cybertech) you can give the recipies to those people, and get the rare mats from the vendor and give them to the crafter to make the mod for you.

This also means that the set bonus from Tier pieces that will be extractable need to not be on a mod, but a seperate thing.

While were at it you can make mods you extract from armor, Reverse engineerable, learning the schematic to make these mods, with the same recuirements as the schematics that drop (requiring rare resources that can be bought with pve commendations (for pve mods) or pvp commendations (for PvP mods)

Just an idea.

And thanks for this post Ruan, Your ideas are all I've been dreaming off since I first noticed how bad the current craftable mods are and how ugly the raiding gear looks.

I love the modding system, i'm using almost completely moddable gear on visible slots, with mods taken out of columni and champion sets and daily commendation armor mods.

My dps might be ever so slightly lower than those how use the ugly columni sniper set, but i'm doing great dps and looking good while doing it.

I know some won't be willing to take the hit at their dps/heal/tanking ability, and i salute them for their dedication, but i am, and love the option to do it.

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

This is the best news I have ever read in these forums.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Yes, I have no life. I'm retired though so, it's O.K.;)

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

Will this include the pvp light sabers being made modable? If not there is still a huge issue.

You clearly haven't seen the lvl 50 SI gear.

mah gewdness . . . .

Agreed. SI here and I use the Voss Social V armor and as soon as I can... I will take the tier gear mods and stick em in my social armor, because as bad as the tier armor looks, the Voss Social armor is wonderfully designed for my SI. The only bad side is the stat armor bug that I hope they resolve immediately.

It's a thread about gear customization and everything he said is completely right. There was no reason to waste so much time on a feature that doesn't even work at endgame when they could have just copied the Appearance Tab system.

No, it's a thread about a SPECIFIC gear customization system, namely the one BW chose. Idc who you agree with, this isn't an A-tab thread.

If it works like I think it does, This will instantly make armor crafting skills far far better.

You can make Augmented gear, then put your pvp stuff in it.

so orange items will have no baseline stats and just get all their stats from mods? is that how it works?

And I think I've saved a lot of my favorite robes which is lucky but for those that didn't and vendored them when they became more obsolete, idk, is there any models that they wouldn't be able to get back? Maybe have a crafting option for those.

I feel like I'm misunderstanding something

Edited by Hyperionthethird