Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

This is excellent news.

Will this also apply to PvP gear w/Expertise?

Edited by McVade

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

This sounds great and all, but we're still looking for an ETA on the appearance tab/slot alternative, because even with these changes custom gear is still only going half way to a truly flexible appearance management system, given how difficult it is to come by the ideal "orange gear" early in the game, and how pointless the orange gear, once acquired, makes all non-orange gear.

dont really like any of your ideas at all. the best and only solution is cosmetic slots.

Drop it. The way they are making orange gear, mods, and endgame gear more perfect each patch means an A-Tab will never, ever happen.

Edited by JonathanCP

This sounds great and all, but we're still looking for an ETA on the appearance tab/slot alternative, because even with these changes custom gear is still only going half way to a truly flexible appearance management system, given how difficult it is to come by the ideal "orange gear" early in the game, and how pointless the orange gear, once acquired, makes all non-orange gear.

Appearance slot will never happen. At least not unless they revamp the mod system ALL OVER.

I think it's pretty clear at this point.

Also, orange gear does NOT make other gear pointless. Some prefer the simplicity of blue/green gear, and not playing with the mod system at all.

Edited by JonathanCP

@OP: I Am with you!

@Dev: You just made my day! We were discussing this in a different thread and got he german version, so it's great to see this properly confirmed!

@Awesomesause Armor: Yea, that's exactly what I expect we will see, and I am totally fine with that.

And I will also echo the sentiment that social heavy/Medium gear is very necessary on general principle. A dress uniform version of the troopers gear, a well made set of fancy leathers, things like that

The thing becomes, though, how "unique and distinctive" is it when everyone eventually has a full set? In one breath, you're saying how much we need an Appearance Tab, and in another, you're saying everyone should wear this set and look the same if they earn it because it's a status symbol.

At the end of the day, those that want to "show off" will wear the armor and do so. Those that don't care about being idolized by low-level players will create their custom outfits and have fun. All in all, everyone wins, so what's the problem?

No, you completely missed the point I was making. As I said in my very first line, "I have mixed feelings" about this stuff.

For appearance purposes, we really need an apearance tab function, there just isn't any debate about this anymore. A lot of armors are frustratingly ugly looking.

For end-game armor, it should not ever be possible to simply chop up these items for parts. These are really important items to obtain, and they should be solid 'whole' items. If people want to use their appearance tab to use a different armor graphic, I dont care. But when someone inspects you, they should see "Calumi this" and "Rakata that" equipped on your character.

As others have said in this thread, people cannot be allowed to simply obtain boots over and over and salvage parts out of them. This is where the current equipment system comes dangerously close to being horribly flawed. Even adding a "item specific mod" as suggested in yellow here, is a poor idea. It will still be possible to just obtain boots over and over again for the other mods it offers.

This item mod system is messy and looks like it's only going to get messier.

I support it and want it ASAP. Some of the gear is HIDEOUS! I set aside some of that orange gear just in case they ever let me put all the stats from PvP armor on to it. Personally, I would much rather have an appearance tab. Anytime you find a piece of gear and wear it, it will automatically put the appearance in a tab and allow you to select what you want without sacrificing stats.

Appearance slot will never happen. At least not unless they revamp the mod system ALL OVER.

I think it's pretty clear at this point.

Also, orange gear does NOT make other gear pointless. Some prefer the simplicity of blue/green gear, and not playing with the mod system at all.

I don't get it. Wouldn't the slots be tied to what you actually have equipped and not what you appear to have equipped?

Orange gear is essentially their version of an appearance tab. They won't implement an appearance tab otherwise orange gear becomes utterly pointless.

For appearance purposes, we really need an apearance tab function, there just isn't any debate about this anymore. A lot of armors are frustratingly ugly looking.

Can you please elaborate on how the current/upcoming system, while not being as easy as an a-tab, does not FULLY and ENTIRELY allows you to customize your appearance.

No, it's not "easy-mode-a-tab".

The debate is still very much up there : 1)Easy mode vs 2)Work-for-it mode

A lot of us prefer the "work for it" mode.

I support this.

Endgame gear looks like it was created by a blind, mentally deranged fashion designer named Earl who was a plumber for 40 years but then just decided one day that he wanted to inflict the MMO world with his idea of "nice lookin' duds, eyyyy!".

An A-Tab is for those lazy people who do not want to put in the time or effort to achieve the look they want. They rather be given something than to earn it with their own merits. An A-tab would total ruin the mod system that they have in place that people have spent hours crafting the look that they wanted.

And this entire hassle could have been avoided if you had just given us an appearance tab at the start.

Consider how many hours of work your team is going through to build this pointless modding system purely to mimic a much simpler and easier feature.

And this entire hassle could have been avoided if you had just given us an appearance tab at the start.

Consider how many hours of work your team is going through to build this pointless modding system purely to mimic a much simpler and easier feature.

Mod system provides an optional money sink. A-tab does not. Clearly mod system is better for the economy.

How about "Social Gear" outfit-slots that replaces the skins your current gear? That way you could make the prplz look like they've been skinned by 5-years olds on acid inspired by Chris Cunningham videos. Or simply allow people to prance around in funnay/matching gear without messing up their stats.

Edit: I realize I suck at reading threads. As mentioned in other posts, moving mods to preferred items will be a way better way to solve it. (As long as the cost of taking a mod/armor/etc out of an item is not too steep.)

Edited by CaptainZalo
I don't know how to read.

An A-Tab is for those lazy people who do not want to put in the time or effort to achieve the look they want. They rather be given something than to earn it with their own merits. An A-tab would total ruin the mod system that they have in place that people have spent hours crafting the look that they wanted.

Agreed. Thankfully, I know Bioware isn't foolish enough to completely drop their mod system for which they've put countless hours and resources into making. Their mod system is fairly unique and a welcome, refreshing feature to MMOs. It's taken me until level 41 but I've finally found the set of chest and pants that I love the look of and want to continue to mod out even in endgame. I'm glad I had to work for it.

I am NOT a supporter of an appearance tab. I love the mod system and once these changes that Emmanuel detailed are implemented, I think the mod system will be perfect.

An A-Tab is for those lazy people who do not want to put in the time or effort to achieve the look they want. They rather be given something than to earn it with their own merits.
If I already earned the gear with the look I want... *** other requirement should there be?

An A-tab would total ruin the mod system that they have in place that people have spent hours crafting the look that they wanted.
The mod system is nothing more than an overly complicated mimic of the appearance tab.

It serves the exact same purpose except it...

A. Limits your appearance.

B. Limits your gear to mods.

It's more work, for less results. A truly flawed concept.

Mod system provides an optional money sink. A-tab does not. Clearly mod system is better for the economy.

Tell that to WoW's Transmog system. Every time you get a new piece of gear you have to pay to have it changed.

And that's without even counting the rip-off that is void storage.

Tell that to WoW's Transmog system. Every time you get a new piece of gear you have to pay to have it changed.

And that's without even counting the rip-off that is void storage.

Both of which are optional money sinks and are good for the economy. Thanks for proving my point. A-tab loses.

First, I want to say how great these changes seem to be, and how impressed I am with BWs response and acknowledgement to the community. The mod system was not working as intended at 50, and they took note and started a fix. This fix may not even come for another month (hopefully sooner), but I can go ahead and start collecting all the orange gear I could ever want....which brings me to my next point.

The only conceivable problem I see myself is quickly filling up bank slots with orange gear. I already have a cargo hold bay full of orange gear and I haven't even been trying to collect it. My only suggestion is to have a wardrobe or separate tab (like vehicle) that stores your orange gear. This is NOT an appearance tab, but just a place where you can store, sort, and upgrade your mods in a more user-friendly way. You would still have to upgrade each piece of gear to keep it up to date (if you choose). This is simply a foreseeable problem I see with storage that could be taken care of at an early stage in development.

When you have something in the game that promotes collecting, such as vanity pets, vehicles, even companions, then storage will become an issue. All of these other things currently have their own tabs to alleviate that issue. Since most mod gear is bound when you equip it or win the piece, I think a separate storage tab would be appropriate. Again this is NOT an appearance tab, but strictly a separate storage for orange gear.

Even a wardrobe on your ship would alleviate the foreseeable problem.

P.S. Thanks Bioware and keep up the good work!

Edited by Zedakah