Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

Two important questions about this overhaul

1) Will you also be fixing the long standing (and very annoying) bug with all Social gear not awarding stats until you re-equip each piece? Doing this each and every time we change planets or enter flashpoints is beyond tedious.

2) Will Rakata weapons be fixed so that the hilt, mod, and enhancements are not Tionese?

and I thought of a third...

3) Will there be medium and heavy armor versions of Social gear offered? Either new versions for existing sets, or planned for the future?

Edited by Malakriss

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is what they plan to do with higher level craftable custom level gear. Having it be functionally identical to the lowest level craftable stuff apart from having a higher level requirement and costing a hell of a lot more to make cannot be intended and if it is the patterns might as well be removed cause it makes them bloat.

Personally speaking I don't know what to think about Emanuel's reply.

From a non-crafter perspective, allowing purples to be fully moddable again and others things would sound great.

But from a crafter perspective, we already get screwed over by the fact that better mods are available than the crafters can provide. Not only that but some of the top end items are not as good as what can be obtained via non-crafting means.

So, my initial reaction is that it sounds like crafters are going to be shafted even more. Of course, we don't know the full extent of what's happening. But still, it has me concerned that craftable "complete" items in TOR will be generally as worthless as they are in WoW. And only the "modification" items will have any worth. This means that essentially, that crafting professions will, to varying degrees, become worthless. Only the "modifications" will be sought after.

Edited by Tarka

One of my friends in game has worn the same ugly brown robe he got on Taris all the way up 50, and it's not by choice.

*cough* bs *cough*

Your friend didn't do any quests, or flashpoints, and apparently just PvPed to 50.

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

Just saw this post. Great news, thanks.

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

This is the best news I've read all week.

We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

NO, you are really not. Until every single graphic armor design is also available in the "customizable/orange/purple/modifiable or whatever bull*&^ you want to call it" format then it will always be inferior to an appearance tab and you are not really supportive of players who care about their appearances at all. It's just lip service. We understand you wanted to try something different. It sounded good but it just didn't work out. please accept it. More experienced MMOs than this one has struggled with the same problem over the years and it took them awhile to figure it out but they did. The Appearance Tab, an elegant solution for a more civilized age ;). Please just add it already and all our appearance problem will be solved.

We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

NO, you are really not. Until every single graphic armor design is also available in the "customizable/orange/purple/modifiable or whatever bull*&^ you want to call it" format then it will always be inferior to an appearance tab and you are not really supportive of players who care about their appearances at all. It's just lip service. We understand you wanted to try something different. It sounded good but it just didn't work out. please accept it. More experienced MMOs than this one has struggled with the same problem over the years and it took them awhile to figure it out but they did. The Appearance Tab, an elegant solution for a more civilized age ;). Please just add it already and all our appearance problem will be solved.

Please for the love of Yoda let me customize my gear.

As a Twi'lek Smuggler ALL of the helmets clip through my Lekku (tentacles) and looks HORRIBLE.

Either let me change my race OR give us some Twi'lek specific options AND let us mod all of our gear into those Twi'lek options.

PLEASE!

This isn't tumblr, so I can't really post pictures freely...

But this describes how I feel about this post:

OH MY GOOOOOOOD

I love the game, but the armor for alot of the classes could be better and brighter colored. I was expecting more colors, like in the movies.:csw_guard:

I have a Sentinel that has the worst looking gray vest thing at level 17. Can't wait to out level that thing!~:sul_tongue:

Huzzah! Nice one, and thanks for the response.

• Remove "armoring" schematics from Cybertech, Cybertech does too much already.
  • Add strength and willpower armorings to Synthweaving, and add aim
    and cunning armorings to Armormech.
  • Drop the distinction between tanking and DPS armorings, give them
    equal amounts of primary stat and allow primary stat diversity to rely
    more strongly on the "modification" slot.
  • Add a non-removeable flag to certain item modifications to create
    demand for crafted mods; mostly quest rewards since they essentially
    are free.
  • Nerf certain quest reward item modifications to make player crafted
    mods more appealing.

I was completely in agreement with you until I saw this. Cybertech does too much already? The only thing worth a damn from cybertech is the armorings. The earpieces are useless compared to just the quest rewards, not to mention the drops from NPCs. The grenades not really worth using. Even the Mods you can make as a Cybertech are BS. You get better stats on mods from vendors or quest rewards. It's bad enough that at 40+ all the quests reward you the blue Armorings, you really want to take them away from Cybertech completely and make Cybertech useless?

I do agree however it wouldn't be a bad idea to equalize the Armorings (combine them for ACs) and buff up the mods to make up for them. However, they definitely need to make all mods craftable by Cybertechs, not just power or crit ones.

As for Synthweaving and armormech, they have enough as it is. They can already make full sets of Moddable gear for all 3 armor types. They really shouldn't be making the mods for them as well, especially not the main and most useful mod (the one that determines the item's armor rating). That's just too much.

I saw the last two items on your list, but I don't really know what to say about them. They have potential to be a good idea if done together, but a horrible evil very bad idea if done separately.

If they scrapped the mod system then you couldn't swap mods/enhancements for different ones with the stats, with the mod system you can not only choose your look but also customize your stats as well... Im pretty sure a A-tab doesn't let you do that.

My proposal:

Cybertech: Earpieces, Starship Upgrades, All Modifications, BoP

Speeders, Non-Combat Pets

Synthweaving: Force Armor, Force Armorings

Armormech: Tech Armor, Tech Armorings

Artifice: Colour Crystals, Hilts, Shields/Generators, Enhancements

Armstech: Blasters, Vibroswords, Viborknives/Scatterguns, Barrels

Should look as such

Cybertech: Mods/Enhancements

Synthweaving: Force Armor/ Force Armorings

Armormech: Tech Armor, Tech Armorings

Artifice: Colour Crystals, Hilts

Armstech: Weapons/Barrels

the other stuff is fluff and can be gotten elsewhere easily or is just social

this gives each crafting profession 2 main things they can craft.

Im pretty sure a A-tab doesn't let you do that.

That is incorrect. Your normal armor slots would be exactly the same as it is now. Your normal gear, if customizable, would stay so, or not. Nothing would change except the following... There would merely be a second set of slots to gear up to wear for appearance purposes only which wouldn't effect your stats in any way, just your armor graphics.

Just make a system to import all stats from a drop to an orange piece of gear and then destroy the dropped gear in the process. Then lock any modifications from being removed from the new piece of gear, only overridden by a new swap.

Cut, paste and lock too easy

That is incorrect. Your normal armor slots would be exactly the same as it is now. Your normal gear, if customizable, would stay so, or not. Nothing would change except the following... There would merely be a second set of slots to gear up to wear for appearance purposes only which wouldn't effect your stats in any way, just your armor graphics.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this... that's basically saying they keep the mod system which would still require the adjustments they stated to make the mod system work at 50 anyways and also add an appearance tab... as it is now they can either scrap the whole system which would just be silly or they can make some minor adjustments to make it work.

This is how i know this game will keep being amazing. The part to focus on is where he says "fairly important issue". if they continue to address "fairly important" issues i will have no complants. of course im assuming that means all issues from fair to high importance will be addressed in time.

Keep up the good work BW!!