Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been Social Level V for about 2 weeks now and I prefer to wear the Voss social set on my Sorc., but I cannot stand having to unequip/equip everytime I enter a loading screen. If I do not unequip/equip my stats drop and enter a battle with significantly less DPS. Although there is a workaround, it's easy to forget to do this in flashes and can be a huge difference when running hard modes. I do love the idea of swapping all mods/armor/enhancements/etc, but please fix the basic mechanics first. Edited by legiongrey

Agreed. Thankfully, I know Bioware isn't foolish enough to completely drop their mod system for which they've put countless hours and resources into making. Their mod system is fairly unique and a welcome, refreshing feature to MMOs. It's taken me until level 41 but I've finally found the set of chest and pants that I love the look of and want to continue to mod out even in endgame. I'm glad I had to work for it.

I am NOT a supporter of an appearance tab. I love the mod system and once these changes that Emmanuel detailed are implemented, I think the mod system will be perfect.

Bloody amazing. Such joy to be found in looking at your ugly looking character for 40 levels just so that one day when you hit level 41 it all became worth it cause you finally got a matching set of gear that you like! Working for it was awesome & you have the screenshots of your character wearing 40 levels of ugly looking Jedi gear to prove it!

Just think, I've been doing it wrong all this time. I've been wearing gear with stats that are below my level or are not for my class & I've been looking cool. I end up having to be a better MMO player than most cause my winning fights with NPC's & other players is based on my MMO skills in knowing how to properly play my class, instead of having all my fights determined by RNG's off of who was the best gear stats.

I'd like for BioWare to just give us a break, let us have a working a-tab until they've perfected their in-house test server testing for the horribly broken item modification system. That thing has the potential to be amazing someday, but right now it's just not ready.

We should get appearance tabs, just please remove stats from appearance customization BioWare.

If I already earned the gear with the look I want... *** other requirement should there be?

The mod system is nothing more than an overly complicated mimic of the appearance tab.

It serves the exact same purpose except it...

A. Limits your appearance.

B. Limits your gear to mods.

It's more work, for less results. A truly flawed concept.

C. Money sink to take money out of the game system when you remove mods. money sinks are needed

C. Money sink to take money out of the game system when you remove mods. money sinks are needed
See previous page.

Tell that to WoW's Transmog system. Every time you get a new piece of gear you have to pay to have it changed.

And that's without even counting the rip-off that is void storage.

Edited by CharagonIGN

I dont want requirements such as light , medium or heavy armor.

I dont want many options of hair, i want an hair that i like, i think BW need improve alot your design i dont like any hair.

The sentinel pvp gear looks like C3PO with an samurai hat.

The shadow pvp gear looks like an priest.

all imperial gear looks ugly and with spikes.

I hate shoulders like WoW.

I dont like any kind of shoulder, and i think jedi and sith dont need an shoulder becouse they are not medieval warriors.

Shoulders with spikes = WoW design and i dont like it

I want more customization options at high end game.

Edited by Dreifh

I have mixed feelings about this.

I frankly disagree with the dev statements above. End game armor shouldn't be salvaged for parts. Especially not the set bonus. It's unique, and distinctive. People should wear this stuff with pride. If the graphics of this armor is a problem for people, then bioware should fix the graphics, not make it more modable. End-game armor is a badge of pride, something you had to earn, and everyone should be able to see that on your character.

I play a Sith Inquisitor. My character is a fairly wispy slip of a thing, and thus, though perhaps the armor looks better for others, for me with endgame gear, I get stuck with LOL PAULDRONS LOL pulled right out of World of Warcraft - a ridiculous, sad state of things that I really wish I'd left behind WITH WoW, honestly.

If you decide you want to keep modding up an item you don't like the appearance of... who is to blame but you? There's plenty of moddable gear out there to suit your tastes.

And speaking of tastes? There's no way to cater to everyone's appearancewise with endgame armor. I'm sure that there's people out there that love their tiny characters having huge shoulder armor, even as I personally find it ridiculous. With that, there's no real way to insure that everyone likes the end game armor... And I for one wouldn't be "feeling pride" about wearing it, I'd feel disgruntled and a bit pissed off. It would provide an annoying barrier to me gearwise, having to wear things I really didn't want to.

Being able to get rid of that barrier really helps things, and the mod system is what gets rid of it.

That being said: give us back the match to chest option, dammit. :| There was a 100+ page thread about it before you whitewashed the forums - just after the mention of removing the feature, conveniently enough.

Bloody amazing. Such joy to be found in looking at your ugly looking character for 40 levels just so that one day when you hit level 41 it all became worth it cause you finally got a matching set of gear that you like! Working for it was awesome & you have the screenshots of your character wearing 40 levels of ugly looking Jedi gear to prove it!

Just think, I've been doing it wrong all this time. I've been wearing gear with stats that are below my level or are not for my class & I've been looking cool. I end up having to be a better MMO player than most cause my winning fights with NPC's & other players is based on my MMO skills in knowing how to properly play my class, instead of having all my fights determined by RNG's off of who was the best gear stats.

I'd like for BioWare to just give us a break, let us have a working a-tab until they've perfected their in-house test server testing for the horribly broken item modification system. That thing has the potential to be amazing someday, but right now it's just not ready.

We should get appearance tabs, just please remove stats from appearance customization BioWare.

No, I didn't look ugly. Please point out where I said that. I just said I finally obtained the ideal look I wanted by level 41. Prior to that there were many great pieces I wore that I enjoyed the look of, but not what I would consider a look I wanted to stick with for an extended amount of time.

Do not try and force your flawed opinion into my post.

Now if this means I can take the very smexy cyan crystals out of the Rep PvP sabers I will be happy.

If not its back to farming for Silver ones.

Anyway this is great news, thank you so much Bioware, please, please, please let this be in patch 1.1!

Instead of simply putting a simple Appearance Tab...

Rift just grew when they implemented one.

Why complicate stuff?

It adds a layer of complexity to the game and a whole new mini crafting system. A certain amount of complexity in an MMO is a good thing -- it keeps players busy.

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

Thanks for this info. This is a good change. I still have issues with other aspects of the mod system design, mostly the RNG orange schematic mechanic, but this at least addresses the issues once you finally win that lottery and have a look you like.

Did you read the quoted sections? He said the a-tab isn't a money sink and then immediately turned around and said it was.

No, you need to re read them

the mod system and transmog system are money sinks, that is what he said. an appearance tab is what they had in SWG. A-Tab is not a Transmog system

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

That is the best news I have heard so far. For while I totally respect your artists and their vision, I don't always share it. The ability to dress my character however I please is of great importance to me as a player and I am excited that this will be made reality.

One question - does this mean we can expect to see the return of all that juicy looking, fully moddable social gear? There was a ton of it in beta that seems to have disappeared from live (especially medium and heavy rated gear).

That would be good for Sith Inquisitors who can keep wearing their black hooded robes instead of their endgame gear...

As for medium armor, us Marauders are busted. We only have the Black Talon Marauder's robes and that's it. The rest looks either like a soldier 1st class or a fail cyborg...

Craptastic !

Did you read the quoted sections? He said the a-tab isn't a money sink and then immediately turned around and said it was.

Did you read what I said?

A-tab is not a money sink. It is not good for the economy.

SWTOR Mod system and WoW transmog systems are completely optional money sinks for people concerned with aesthetics.

Optional money sinks are always good as opposed to required money sinks such as repairs or medpacks which can be too high. But I digress. The point I'm trying to make is Mod system (and even transmog) are superior to an A-tab because they both provide optional money sinks as opposed to the A-tab which is essentially free.

Is this change scheduled for 1.1?