The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Staggering, worst or best tactic for a MMO this day and age?

darthbored

Just trying to get an understanding of the way that bioware does things, considering i MAY be spending quite a few years with them if this game is a success...

I hear that the queues would be long and dreadful, but at least those queues would tell you an estimate on when you could play. Unlike the current queue were in with an unknown wait time.

I also hear that the servers would lag and crash but... What lag would there be if there were queues that prevented too many people to be on the server thus causing lag?

And the word on the street is that there would be ghost town servers, and server mergers would have to occur. But couldnt that happen now anyway?

To sum it up: If you got in, it's great. If you didn't, worst launch ever apparently.

Of course, "Up to 5 days early" doesn't seem to have the same meaning to everyone.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, fact of the matter is that you can only have so many people online in one zone at a time. So you can do what Rift did and have low pop limits for the first few days and have large queues. Or you can do what TOR's doing and arbitrarily let in 10% of your population a day for a week.

So, either way some of the player base has to wait to play. I'm not sure I like the staggered launch over just letting everyone in to fight the queues though. It's pretty annoying waiting for your email to get a chance to play the game while you watch people get to level 30 in the first day..

Rift did not instance world zones to my knowledge, though I could be mistaken.

Would've been a great tactic....

if there weren't 18 hours between waves. Seriously, the stopping invites at 2pm for the rest of the day was what made this a bad idea. Continuous rolling waves all day every day until everyone was in would have been just about perfect.

Have to agree with this. The 2pm to 7am gap doesn't make a lot of sense if they are in there 24/7 for this week watching the servers for any hiccup.

5 hour Q every time you log in for a month or 2-5 day Q once.

HMMMMMM.

No game released within the past few years has 5 hour queues for a whole friggin' month (or ever, even the longest queues are at most 3 hours). These things get solved within days, either by the devs or by the players who simply go somewhere else.

HMMMMMM DERP

Edited by Havocx

I'm all for cautious launches, but there are three glaring things about today's early access process that are quite unacceptable in this mature state of the MMO industry:

1. They should have maintained rolling waves 7x24 as the server population sustained the load (and/or add more servers) instead of calling it a day at 1:30PM. Especially with reports at "prime time" of empty questing zones.

2. They should have limited each account to a single character on a single server until retail launch. There is no reason 1% of the players should get a head start to reserve multiple names for all their alts when other players still haven't gotten access.

3. Upon hearing of the PVP XP "feature" to level quickly, they should have removed XP from that system, or turned off PVP queueing during the early access period, or capped the amount of XP obtained from that venue per day/week, etc.

Other than that, I think their cautious approach will ultimately keep them from suffering from login queues and server crashes.

This day and age?

I think the developers and publishers should take the number of sales and pre-orders, and prepare for that number of people to join. Let there be enough servers that people have to queue for the first week or so. That way you dont have the problem of underpopulated servers once everyone figures out your game is just more of the same.

The staggered thing is cool if you pre-ordered early, otherwise it leaves a lot of people feeling bad. Everyone paid the same amount of money and I doubt we will ever see this sort of early access thing again.

Edited by robisowe

I bet if everyone was let in, but the servers were laggy or crashed, many of you would still be here complaining.

I guess we won't know that will we? But we DO know that people that are told they could be in a 5 day queue are upset.

Almost everything said in this thread is effectively moot, because the game hasn't actually "launched" yet. The game releases on the 20th.

If you get in early, awesome for you. If you don't, oh well, you would've had to wait till the 20th anyways.

I'm all for cautious launches, but there are three glaring things about today's early access process that are quite unacceptable in this mature state of the MMO industry:

1. They should have maintained rolling waves 7x24 as the server population sustained the load (and/or add more servers) instead of calling it a day at 1:30PM. Especially with reports at "prime time" of empty questing zones.

2. They should have limited each account to a single character on a single server until retail launch. There is no reason 1% of the players should get a head start to reserve multiple names for all their alts when other players still haven't gotten access.

3. Upon hearing of the PVP XP "feature" to level quickly, they should have removed XP from that system, or turned off PVP queueing during the early access period, or capped the amount of XP obtained from that venue per day/week, etc.

Other than that, I think their cautious approach will ultimately keep them from suffering from login queues and server crashes.

Totally agree, particularly with point 2! No reason people should be able to reserve unlimited names across multiple servers. That's just ridiculous!

Wouldn't know never played that greif fest. One of the few I didn't play, would know the way to shut me up.

It wasn't a grief (using that term very loosely) fest at all actually. When you died, you were sent back home (to a bind point). So assuming you're using the term the way I think you are, there wasn't really any griefing.

It's good that you didn't play it though. You didn't miss out on much. In short, better character customization, you could dye clothing, and there were a few gameplay mechanics that were neat to see at the time. Overall it probably wouldn't beat TOR though. ;)

People that got in "This is the best and smoothest launch ever."

People that didn't "This is the worst launch ever."

As soon as they get in the whiners will be all happy and too busy enjoying the game to QQ on the forums.

Only true complaints should be if there are any + 40s at this point due to some bug/exploit that people are mentioning,

and my personal favorite, friends not getting to play at the same time. Deployed guilds should have gotten in at the same time in my honest opinion, but no butthurt here. Staggering was a great idea and even if they were overcautious today it's still day 7 of happy free gaming time that we are not entitled to, and is a nice gift on BW's part.

Almost everything said in this thread is effectively moot, because the game hasn't actually "launched" yet. The game releases on the 20th.

If you get in early, awesome for you. If you don't, oh well, you would've had to wait till the 20th anyways.

Oh look, a guy who doesn't know what a launch is in name and in function.