Staggering, worst or best tactic for a MMO this day and age?

darthbored

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just imagine what would happen if there is a problem, and they aren't able to get people in on that day/time. Currently, they have told people that they will get notified when they are allowed in, and people are raging. If they missed the day that they actually said, the rage would be even greater.

It's one of those situations where they can't win, and can only hope that the game is good enough, and enjoyable enough to make up for the experience this week.

Sadly, I can completely understand why they did not tell people when they would have access. I can envision the posts already "I took time off work for this, you OWE me now!" and then comes the demands for free play time, and such. That would be a worst disaster, publicly, then a group of people (myself included) who simply come off as being rabidly excited to play.

Nonsense. Just completely overestimate the time they can get in, and then get them in early! Presto! People will think your grand.

Pretty simple stuff, I'm surprised they did it the hard way for, like, no discernible reason.

Pre-ordering it costed me 5 more dollars. So those are not free days to play.

You beat me too it!!! LOL!

You are right, it is not free play, it was an incentive to purchase the product. And a lot of us did put down $5 as a promise to purchase the full game once available, in return, Bioware offered the incentive.

For the ones that canT comprehend that, may G-d have mercy on you if/when (going with a very big IF) you ever buy a car or home.

Edited by DESSNIIPER

So far Bioware has lived up to their claims. They never said anyone or everyone could play 7 days before release. It clearly states that you can play "up to 5 days" before launch. Why is this so hard for people to understand? Why is it even harder for people to understand that Bioware is dealing with hundreds of thousands of pre-orders? The people who were lucky enough to get access today likely pre-ordered their copy the first day it went on sale. Everyone will get their turn, but the volume of nerd rage that is going around is just silly. If you get your invite on the 19th, then yes be upset and feel cheated...but really people would you rather have an unstable and glitchy launch just to satisfy your own feeling of entitlement? We all paid for the game and want to play, but acting like a child won't get you early access any faster. I support Bioware's decision to allow access in waves and I am still waiting for my invite. I would rather wait a few extra days then try and play a game that crashes because the servers are overloaded. And yes, I did play beta and understand that the game was stress tested, but they are taking launch seriously and that is a good thing.

They didnt say 5 days when i pre-ordered. they said if i pre-order i get into the game early based on when i pre-order, which to me sounds like i can start right after i pay. i guess im just stupid Edited by luzzo

They didnt say 5 days when i pre-ordered. they said if i pre-order i get into the game early based on when i pre-order, which to me sounds like i can start right after i pay. i guess im just stupid

It's just not clear until you read the FAQ. the first thing you see when you go on the website is PRE-ORDER TO GET EARLY ACCESS! F... YEAH!

Then you read the FAQ and die inside ;D

You beat me too it!!! LOL!

You are right, it is not free play, it was an incentive to purchase the product. And a lot of us did put down $5 as a promise to purchase the full game once available, in return, Bioware offered the incentive.

For the ones that can comprehend that, may G-d have mercy on you if/when (going with a very big IF) you ever buy a car or home.

Actually, your $5 went to the retailer, so that's not really the devs' problem. BioWare/EA demanded nothing for a preorder, and they have no control over retailers' preorder policies as far as deposits. I laid absolutely nothing down for a preorder from Amazon.

Yes, it was an incentive to purchase the product, but they spelled out how things were going to go down as part of that incentive. It was going to be a staggered release based on preorder date, and you would get in somewhere between the 15th and the 20th, w/no promise as to when in that range. Them adding the 13th and 14th is just icing.

I'm all for consumers standing up for themselves, but this sense of entitlement is ridiculous, and makes serious consumer efforts look a joke because they get compared to this insanity. Just because it is not going the way you want doesn't change the fact that is going down just like it was promised, w/a few extra days as bonus. If it really is that much of a burden to you, take the primary recourse for all consumers in a competitive market.

Take your business elsewhere.

Edited by Sabrel

Actually, your $5 went to the retailer, so that's not really the devs' problem. BioWare/EA demanded nothing for a preorder, and they have no control over retailers' preorder policies as far as deposits. I laid absolutely nothing down for a preorder from Amazon.

Yes, it was an incentive to purchase the product, but they spelled out how things were going to go down as part of that incentive. It was going to be a staggered release based on preorder date, and you would get in somewhere between the 15th and the 20th, w/no promise as to when in that range. Them adding the 13th and 14th is just icing.

I'm all for consumers standing up for themselves, but this sense of entitlement is ridiculous, and makes serious consumer efforts look a joke because they get compared to this insanity. Just because it is not going the way you want doesn't change the fact that is going down just like it was promised, w/a few extra days as bonus. If it really is that much of a burden to you, take the primary recourse for all consumers in a competitive market.

Take your business elsewhere.

To continue argument see previous post.

To concede defeat in argument see previous post.

From a technical standpoint, staggered deployment is brilliant.

I am beginning to worry that Bioware underestimated the level of juvenile entitlement among MMO gamers, and while it was the perfect technical choice, it may have been a bad one for the game overall.

But that's a minor worry. I firmly believe that 90% of the rage is simple entitlement, and once people are actually in the game they'll forget all about it, because it'll be awesome that they're in when others aren't.

I'd like to think I can add to the discussion at hand without mindless QQ, so here goes.

As someone who for reasons that matter not, didn't pre-order/enter code until last week (Dec 6th), I understand I'm waaaaaaaayyyyy the bajesus back in line. And that's totally fine, I get the idea that I'm not going to be going first or ahead of all those people in front of me, nor should I. Too that extent, all I held out today was that I would get in on a "glitch" in the system :p. I didn't, poor me, lol.

However, how I think people in my spot (those further back in line) feel to some extent, is that we're in this big long line for a new rollercoaster, and we pull up our binoculars to see the front of the line, and the ride a little bit, and the guy running it, is only filling up 5 or 6 of the 10 cars, and holding the next set of cars up till the last one is almost back at the station. And then, even though the park has lights, and the ride has lights, and it's open 24 hours a day, says next rides start tomorrow morning. Now, I get that I'm at the back of the line, and I got some waiting to do, but the guys in charge aren't exactly a pristine display of efficiency.

I think that's where the more mature displeasure with the staggered release is coming from. Now, I temper my thoughts with the idea that BW went into today with a plan of only a few waves, early, so that they can have the rest of the day to monitor what happens after the school day ends, the work day ends, and primetime/dinnertime rolls in. With that data, they can extrapolate and go into the next days not needing to take an 18 hour break, and can instead go forward with constant invites on a 60-90 minute window, all through the day and into the night, now that they have some data points as to what happens at that time of day. They can have hardware racks heating up, getting broken in and data started being sent through it to make sure it's ready.

I'm not going to spew all kinds of vile, immature crap over it, I'm not going to cancel anything, I'm going to keep getting my house ready for the holiday party's coming up, and waiting for my play button to light up. With the hope that after a conservative approach to day 1, with what seems like little to no problems (other than some QQ on the forums) the ride operator will take a more aggressive and efficient approach over the next set of invites in the coming days.

So, TL : DR... little discouraged with how things went today, but have faith in the approach. :D

My thoughts, for what it is worth. Enjoy your game whilst I wait here patiently, cleaning my house and drinking my wines. :p Also: Happy Holidays!

Edited by TheNeolithic

I think it's brilliant.

Kills two birds with one stone:

- makes for a smooth gaming experience for all, once they eventually get in

- lets the world know in no uncertain terms: It's not about the race to the finish, it's about the journey. If you're racing to ding 50 just so you can post "first", you're doing it wrong. Staggering immediatly devalues the "server/world firsts". They're now the TOR equivalent of WoWs recent "congrats, you got the world first but all other top guilds were banned for explointing". Doesn't mean much.

So you might as well take your time and enjoy the ride.

It is a good way to launch a MMO. One thing that always sucks about MMO launchs is when there are 100000 n00bs fighting over the same quest objective and it takes you two days to just clear the lowbie areas because of that.

If I had to find something to ding them for it would be the lack of clear communication. When people are excited the last thing you do is force them into a line and give them no means of telling when they will be up. With each wave of invites that go out those who think they are close to the front become more dishearted/disgruntled as they build themselves up and crash after not getting invited.

Doing something as simple as saying if you ordered in Sept don't expect to see anything before the XXth-XXth date range would give them the flexablity of moving waves back in the event of issues without creating the highs and lows the whole community seems caught in with each wave.

Part of software development is managing expectations... BioWare has not done a good job of that so far when it comes to the invites.

Edited by Noleader

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.