Staggering, worst or best tactic for a MMO this day and age?

darthbored

Just trying to get an understanding of the way that bioware does things, considering i MAY be spending quite a few years with them if this game is a success...

I hear that the queues would be long and dreadful, but at least those queues would tell you an estimate on when you could play. Unlike the current queue were in with an unknown wait time.

I also hear that the servers would lag and crash but... What lag would there be if there were queues that prevented too many people to be on the server thus causing lag?

And the word on the street is that there would be ghost town servers, and server mergers would have to occur. But couldnt that happen now anyway?

Edited by darthbored

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just trying to get an understanding of the way that bioware does things, considering i MAY be spending quite a few years with them if this game is a success...

I hear that the queues would be long and dreadful, but at least those queues would tell you an estimate on when you could play. Unlike the current queue were in with an unknown wait time.

I also hear that the servers would lag and crash but... What lag would there be if there were queues that prevented too many people to be on the server thus causing lag?

And the word on the street is that there would be ghost town servers, and server mergers would have to occur. But couldnt that happen now anyway?

5 hour Q or a 2-5 day Q?

/end thread

There is nothing to support the idea that queues would be "long and dreadful." If their hardware can support single instances of different zones because people are all spread out over the game world, then their hardware can also support multiple instances of the same zone instead.

All I ever hear from people is that this is a horrible release.

The only truly valid complaint is the PvP exploit; and yet even though that exists, I don't even give a **** considering it's their character and not mine. Why would I even care what other people are doing?

Sure, I guess it can be a problem for PvP servers, but it's only limited to that. Not to mention Bioware already knows about it and is working on it. They've stated so already.

5 hour Q every time you log in for a month or 2-5 day Q once.

HMMMMMM.

THANK YOU!

Some people are just not using their heads on this one...

Edited by Smurfsauce

Would've been a great tactic....

if there weren't 18 hours between waves. Seriously, the stopping invites at 2pm for the rest of the day was what made this a bad idea. Continuous rolling waves all day every day until everyone was in would have been just about perfect.

Worst, easily the worst. There is no excuse for keeping people out of the game when they are fully capible of taking many more.

Sure there is.

The excuse is that it's their game and this is how they feel like doing it. Kinda their dealwithit.jpg on the matter.

No que in the history of MMOs is worse then the SWTOR launch que. Not one.

Well, fact of the matter is that you can only have so many people online in one zone at a time. So you can do what Rift did and have low pop limits for the first few days and have large queues. Or you can do what TOR's doing and arbitrarily let in 10% of your population a day for a week.

So, either way some of the player base has to wait to play. I'm not sure I like the staggered launch over just letting everyone in to fight the queues though. It's pretty annoying waiting for your email to get a chance to play the game while you watch people get to level 30 in the first day..

well it seems to be working just fine. No server crashs health populations on the servers. I wil take this anytime over the norm of lag servers crashes and long hour+ ques

LOL Stephen Reid: "hey team lets let 5 people in per server so that we can say we've had the smoothest launch ever with no crashes"

Joe: "steve you're probably the best asset this company has, i LIKE your line of thinking!!!!!!!!"

All I ever hear from people is that this is a horrible release.

The only truly valid complaint is the PvP exploit; and yet even though that exists, I don't even give a **** considering it's their character and not mine. Why would I even care what other people are doing?

Sure, I guess it can be a problem for PvP servers, but it's only limited to that. Not to mention Bioware already knows about it and is working on it. They've stated so already.

THANK YOU!

Some people are just not using their heads on this one...

The more accurate scenario will be 5 day que followed by multi hour que every time you log in for weeks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.