Players BANNED for going to Ilum? Suggestions to Customer Service

Blackk

As someone pointed out 2 pages ago, it is possible to go there at a low level to farm and not get banned. (The poster had done it.)

Yes but was that before or after the known exploit? Also, the person who reported this happened to them stated they occasionally being killed by a PvPer. A surface glance would see this as exploiting. What makes this an example of poor CS is an apparent lack of investigation prior to banning someone. The harshest punishment should be a last resort, not a knee-jerk response.

• Replies 895
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Idk who runs the CS for this game, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's EA's.

Edited my post.

Why would they spend manpower for BW? They just publish the game. They may have a few decision on the money making but policing BW's game isn't their thing.

Example: Does Activision police WoW's in game behaviour/forum behaviour?

Do you think before you type?

Actually he's right. I worked for this company as a GM. We all had hammers regardless of the severity of the problem. If he was banned for slicing at low levels in a high level area then the problem is with EA/Bioware. This is not an exploit. This is a way to stop someone from doing something that was biowares fault. If you don't know how to create a profession system, then you have no business being in the MMORPG business.

All Hail Blizzard for having the patience and man power to put together a system that works. Really, companions doing profession for me? This game is KOTOR online. Lame!

This has been all over "cheat" and exploit sites: get your ship at level 17, go to Illum and make loads of cash slicing in a PvP zone that is currently empty on most severs due to a lack of level 50s.

It's an exploit. Sure, the game lets you do it, but that doesn't stop it from being an exploit nonetheless.

An exploit is a bug it is not going into a zone you are able to go into because the developers didn't level lock it.

Edited my post.

Why would they spend manpower for BW? They just publish the game. They may have a few decision on the money making but policing BW's game isn't their thing.

Example: Does Activision police WoW's in game behaviour/forum behaviour?

They just publish BF3 for Dice but EA still runs the forums and everything.

I dont actually beieve this happened.

It's quite possible that it did happen but there's a large some being left out that could completely invalidate any complaint that, those that have been banned, have. There could of been numerous warnings for all we know, they'd never admit it to avoid losing credibility.

For the reasons i stated before im just calling this a fake. The poster, or whoevor told this story to the poster, was using an exploit or was doing something so similar it looked like an exploit. The fact that it was on Ilum was probably coincidence.

The email looks fake or doctored, the story doesnt make sense to me because he makes it sound like several people are banned like this, therefore it is not one rabid gm. And frankly, GMs know better than causing this much trouble on such a wide scale.

Remember this mmo is brand new, and while people's view on the state of the game differ the truth of the matter is that all the kinks are not worked out yet.

Im sure that any mistake going on is caused by some sort of bug/exploit fixing frenzy and if you give it a week or two it will all colm down.

I did research the Ilum exploits since my last post and it looks like a doozy of a situation and thier is probably a gm frenzy over squashing it. If you were cought in such a frenzy wait 3 days, and if you want to play the game apeal, they wills ort you out.

HAHA!

Much like you'll go back to the club that asks a 80 dollar fee then has it's bouncers throw you out on false accusations? Ahh sure.. wait a week, send a nice letter to beg them to take your money again.. suureee.

Edit: not saying the OP's story in question is true, just letting you know what my reaction will be if it is.

Edited by JCShooter

If I posted a screenshot of the e-mail on Reddit, how many of you would really believe, header information there and everything, with personal information blanked out? The majority of the people saying they don't believe it will call a photoshop on it anyway.

I can tell you there was no intent to exploit, merely trying to help my guildies who had no money and leveling their professions. I helped them out, I've been gaming with them for over 6 years now.

How are you posting if you are banned?

Shenannigans.

The issue is not people going to Illum below level. At least one person has said in this thread that they went there farming and were not banned. (Perhaps others have said the same. I saw one poster talking about it.)

What caused the ban is unknown. But it is not a simple matter of going to a planet your character is too low level for.

That only proves that some people got caught, and some people did not. Taking a look at Porkadin's post, it merely references that he was banned for walking into a level 50 SUGGESTED zone. If there was another infraction, I would suspect that the GM would have told him what it was as part of the reason for his banning?

An exploit is a bug it is not going into a zone you are able to go into because the developers didn't level lock it.

Taken from Wikipedia:

An exploit, in online games, is the use of a bug or design flaw by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

An exploit does not have to be a bug, but can be the use of game mechanics in an unintended way. Honestly, tell the average person to go to a level 50 area with a level 17 character in order to take advantage and get rich...no go. Most people would understand that was never intended.

They just publish BF3 for Dice but EA still runs the forums and everything.

It's a decision a developer makes when partnering with their publisher. For an example: Dice is pretty small and probably doesn't have to man power to actually police their forums. I'm betting it's part of their contract for EA to police the game and forum while they develop the game. It's common for lots of developers to do this (F2P games companies like Aeria Games/G Potato/So on and so forth).

So far, I don't see any EA Representative policing the forums and in game for BW, because the fact is that BW has the man power to do so, and they want to police their game in a particular way.

How do you know this before you throw assumption. Maybe they are doing it and maybe they are not. Not right for you to call someone a liar. If they are deleting posts regarding this issue, apparently it holds water.

You may want to read better, there was no calling anyone a liar there. In addition if you think they are deleting posts because it holds water you are very naive, and that is putting it nicely. There are many reasons to delete posts like this, one is it is true, one it is false and trying to stir up trouble, in addition there could be any number of in between.

Exploit

Please see line 2.)

Hope it helps.

alrighty then. lets use your example:

2. To make use of selfishly or unethically: a country that exploited peasant labor.

Who is governing what "selfish or unethically" stands for in this game? BioWare

The flaw to this is that BioWare needs to educate the users on what they feel are "selfish and unethical" actions in the SWTOR universe.

If you're a Sith Inquisitor you are blessed with the lovely Ashara (companion gained at roughly lvl 35).

She has a problem though. Only one place on any planet sells her companion customisation kits...yup you guessed it...Ilum.

At lvl 36 I went to Ilum to buy the two Ashara kits they sell on the vendor there. I was lvl 36. I had just received my companion character and nowhere else sold her appearance kits.

I was not banned!

You do not get banned for simply turning up on Ilum under lvl 40. You get banned for something you do while there :p

Edited by Jamus_Divinus

Exploit

Please see line 2.)

Hope it helps.

So going into a zone that the developers did not block off deserves a ban? Blizzard doesn't ban for low levels wandering into Wintergrasp or TB does it? What won't you people defend to the bone about this game?

- Bad Bugs - Defended

- Lack of certain features - Defended

- Banning for GOING INTO A ZONE - Defended

sheeeesh seriously, just admit certain things in this game are WRONG, it won't hurt I promise.

Taken from Wikipedia:

An exploit, in online games, is the use of a bug or design flaw by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers.

An exploit does not have to be a bug, but can be the use of game mechanics in an unintended way. Honestly, tell the average person to go to a level 50 area with a level 17 character in order to take advantage and get rich...no go. Most people would understand that was never intended.

It is not necessarily a design flaw though. You could do this during WotLK if you chose to.

If the zone was clearly sated to be 50's only there would be a good case for an exploit. If it is simply recommended for 50's that makes things a little more grey.

Also if going here once there were tons of 50's would have been ok but not now it further muddies the water.

This is not that clear cut. Unless the mods are dozing this thread I would have thought would have long since been closed.

Taken from Wikipedia:

Not level lock on area, no level cap on skills.. by that logic pretty much anything you ever get banned over is a "design flaw" no? If they designed their game better chat was completely controlled, player behavior deadlocked by predesigned moves and it cannot be hacked or affected by third party software in any way.

I read the email that was posted. It looks like the person or persons got banned for sneaking into a high level area with or without help and found a treasure chest that wasn't guarded and decided to setup camp.

He would log into the game and loot the high level gear and log out. Then repeat until his inventory was full. Quick travel back to bind point and sell said stuff making load of credits on high level gear that he should not have been able to obtain.

Bioware should level lock these chest so they are only lootable by an appropriate leveled character.

This can be considered an exploit and most likely is for this person to be banned. Using exploits are against the TOS.

Now you know so don't do it. :p

You do not get banned for simply turning up on Ilum under lvl 40. You get banned for something you do while there :p

^^^^

This. If you just go to Illum to explore or buy something, not an exploit. If you go there for the sole purpose of farming you way to riches on low level toons by taking advantage of a mob-free area, well...