You Can't Change Your Advanced Class!?!?!

HossDelgado

To be fair, it's not that drastic a choice and there have been games that allow that much of a choice. I don't have a dog in this hunt, I have all 16 ACs finished, but I have never understood why people care what others do with their characters. Yes, you are correct, the game makes it VERY OBVIOUS that the choice of an AC is permanent.

But IMO, it is always a mistake to ask players to make serious meaningful choices like this with inadequate information. Every MMO I've ever played asks this of players somewhere along the way and devs are always surprised when people ask to change it.

I would like it if AC was chosen very early and players should be able to use the basic abilities of the class by the time they leave the starter planets. That way they can determine what they really want to do. Operatives and Sages for example, play significantly differently after picking their AC than before. It's a jarring change for a new player who doesn't really get why his long range class is suddenly doing most of its work from 10 meters or the Jedi who stops developing her lightsaber abilities in favor of being a mage.

I think the first 10 levels dont give you a fair description of how a class will play and even the rough description when you choose the AC isn't really enough. With most classes you begin to get an idea of how they are like at mid level 40 maybe. I mean it is alright if you already leveled a few toons and already have an idea for what you are going for with a new one (in this game it is very easy to have multiple chars, as already mentioned), but if you are a new player it hard to get a good impression. Don't know how to fix that, but probably your approach of really getting all of them probably helps :p

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might get laughed at but I used to play Maplestory, and before you choose your path, they have a video option for you to view showing these classes using their abilities in a trailer fashion... I would've love to have that =P

The Holonet has something like that. In my opinion it's still insufficient (Operative using a lot of Rifle attacks, Commando seems to have only one move etc.) but better than nothing.

Um.. Actually yes WoW lets you change your Class entirely these days. In fact you can have Dual Classes, and Dual specs on each (if I remember right).

<snip>

Actually, you remember wrong. Wow has dual spec, not dual class. Not sure where you came up with that fantasy, but you cannot be a hunter/warlock who switches between bm hunter and destro lock. Not possible, never even mentioned as a possibility. What game are you talking about? Rift?

Duran'del here:

It comes up with a message that says "This cannot be changed" when you choose your AC. If you hate it after the first few levels, it only takes 5-ish hours to get to 11 and roll another AC.

You should not be able to change your AC. Should there be more information in the AC? Maybe with stat bar things. But it should be a permanent choice, just like your story.

Also, I have 5 troopers, most of them level 15+, FYI.

I like the part where the OP used "much consideration" then made a decision they regretted.

Also: Nope.

This guy made my day.

Also, how do you manage to play an MMO with out being able to read? I lose count how many times the quest tells you you can't reverse your AC.

• 8 months later...
Really?

Wow let you change from a lvl 18 warrior to a lvl 18 paladin?

Pretty sure you couldn't do that in WoW, so I'm not sure why you'd make a statement like this, because that's what you are asking to do.

Advanced classes in SWTOR are not the same as base classes in WoW. In Wow you get a choice of 3 specializations and you can respec later in the game for a fee. For example if I am a tank Paladin and I can respec to a healer Paladin. You should be able to respec from Healer Jedi Consular to DPS Jedi Consular is what this is arguing.

Advanced classes in SWTOR are not the same as base classes in WoW. In Wow you get a choice of 3 specializations and you can respec later in the game for a fee. For example if I am a tank Paladin and I can respec to a healer Paladin. You should be able to respec from Healer Jedi Consular to DPS Jedi Consular is what this is arguing.

1. Advanced classes in SWTOR are not the same thing as talent specs in WoW.

WoW specs are equivalent to the 3 skill trees each AC here has.

2. You already can "respec from Healer Jedi Consular to DPS Jedi Consular", and always have been able to.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the idea of changing AC

A Jedi Consular who has selected Jedi Sage advanced class can choose freely between any of the 3 specs for Sage, one of which is a healer and 2 of which are dps and can change between then at literally any time anywhere.

You have exactly as many respec options as wow classes have.

So you can't ever spec in to the other 3 skill trees on the other AC, but so what...

Edited by Eternalnight

Are people still arguing this? You AC is your class. Period. You don't get to change it just because you decided at level 10 instead of 1.

Imagine you play Warcraft. Instead of how it works now, you create a Fighter at level 1, a melee class that uses shields or two-handed weapons. At level 10, you get to choose to be a Paladin, who uses holy magic, or a Warrior, who uses rage. Though they don't share the same names.

Or you roll a Wizard. Then you choose to be a Mage or Warlock. Or a Holy Man, and choose Priest or Druid. Or a Scout, and choose Hunter or Rogue.

Because that's how it works here. The game has 8 classes, but class selection is finalized at 10.

• 1 month later...

EA could just put a buying option for Advanced Class modification...

I understand the ingame mechanics shouldn't allow it, but a one time name change and a one time "Advnaced Class" change (from Sentinel to Guardian for example) seem like pretty similar modifications for a character. They don't change anything story or companion wise... all they change are the available abilities, proficiencies and trees!

If you want to restrain it as much as possible, make it available for a ridiculous price like 60$ or something.

EA could just put a buying option for Advanced Class modification...

I understand the ingame mechanics shouldn't allow it, but a one time name change and a one time "Advnaced Class" change (from Sentinel to Guardian for example) seem like pretty similar modifications for a character. They don't change anything story or companion wise... all they change are the available abilities, proficiencies and trees!

If you want to restrain it as much as possible, make it available for a ridiculous price like 60$ or something.

surrreeee how about 3000cc instant 55lvl boost and 5000cc 100% achievements for 10000cc... if someone can't read as simple info as that - its his own faullt eot

Just so people know... since, obviously some of you don't... the OP was in 2011.

The person that created this thread already quit the game. If they're still playing, they have a 55 sniper already because they re rolled a character.

Is this the oldest "active" thread on the forums? Haha.

I saw that. I just made both myself, but where the game fails a bit is that the Light side counterpart, or vice verse, has the almost exact same powers by a different name and animation. No faction balance problems, but no faction variety either.

So you play for the best storyline and so far that is Imperial Agent (female), Imperial Sorcerer/Sin (female), Bounty Hunter (male). Maybe Smuggler (female). The gender preference is purely the best voice acting delivered by the actors. I don't view my avatars as extensions of me, just the main character in a story, so gender is not an issue.

The other story lines have been not as good as these 4. Not bad, but not the best.

• 9 months later...
it's so they could use the same voice actor for 2 roles without raising eyebrows and people going 'wait! that's the sentinels voice, how is he also the guardian'.....it's a cheap gimmick done to work around laziness and cheap-ness that this game embodies.

This game has 8 unique storylines that progress you through your lvling process. WoW has 0. I will maintain that the fact they do not have 16 is understandable.

This value added feature is one of the game's best kept secrets. They never tell you about it at all. They just let you find out on your own and force you to roll alts.

;)

Or not. They may, and this unsubstantiated rumor, but they may actually make this super duper clear by explicitly explaining it the moment you take the quest before you go visit the trainer. And then let you know after you make the choice. But that's all just nasty rumor. Grain of salt and all that.

That's complete bulls**t. They tell you over and over to the point that they almost scare you to look at some outside site for more info. I can't believe you thought that ... just had a fail on this one, man.

Edited by Letsjet

It warns you at the time that you won't be able to change it, and since it takes maybe 90 minutes to get a new toon to lvl 10, if you don't like the one you've chosen it doesn't take long to make another. I think you get something like 3 free character slots with this game, so I see nothing to complain about.

• 1 month later...
this is one of the few mmo's I've ever played that does not allow you to change your class specialization down the line, even if its something like a single use item you have to purchase from the cash shop, I can say from experience its not right after you chose the class that you regret choosing it.. its 20 levels down the road when you actually have some more skills to work with at which point just rolling a new toon is simply tedious. how would the game not benefit from players being able to change their advanced class later on?

this is one of the few mmo's I've ever played that does not allow you to change your class specialization down the line, even if its something like a single use item you have to purchase from the cash shop, I can say from experience its not right after you chose the class that you regret choosing it.. its 20 levels down the road when you actually have some more skills to work with at which point just rolling a new toon is simply tedious. how would the game not benefit from players being able to change their advanced class later on?

Oi necros.

You can change your specialization. You can't change your class.

Commando. vanguard. those are classes.

shield tech. gunnery. those are specializations.

you can count on less than one hand the number of games that let you change your class after you choose, and those usually only let you change to a differently-aligned mirror like in everquest 2.

this thread is almost 4 years old. let it die please.

bioware - make class choice something you do at level 1.