Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

Adapting to something that is broken, and then not complain as "It isn't an issue, as I have simply modified my play to work around this problem" isn't a solution to anything.

Just face that you've been wrong from the start, and leave with some dignity. Don't give us such a routine.

*applauds*

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed.

There's lots they need to fix really.

Like sending out 3 companions to craft and then not being able to summon one of the last 2 because 1 of the 3 you sent out was already summoned. Who the **** thought this through?

Or instant-cast animations breaking channeled abilities. (Pop Recharge Cell, use Full Auto, the recharge cell breaks Full Auto everytime, but the damage still happens, you just don't know when it's done) *** this is related to the issue under discussion ***

Or Mortar Volley firing for about 4 seconds when it's should be firing for 3, meanwhile Death from Above (mirror ability) doesn't suffer from the same fate. *** this is related to the issue under discussion ***

There's so many things that need to be fixed... I personally don't think .5 second is that big of a deal, especially since everyone experiences it, not just 1 person due to X factor, but it certainly would make combat more fluid and enjoyable.

I do agree on the instant casts not firing off properly, interrupts not getting off in time, not being able to use abilities after using instant-cast-off-the-GCD-skills bugs should be fixed asap though. Those are a lot more critical than the overall "clunky" feeling people have been talking about, imo, but whatevs. ***interrupts, not firing, ability use -- all are related to the issue under discussion ***

i know you meant well, but if you start with the original thread (which they shut down because it reached over 1k posts and moved to this one) you'll see that the topics i highlighted are all a part of the issue regarding combat/casting delay that we're discussing.

Am I the only person here who thinks that the responses given to us VIA twitter is not only annoying/semi-insulting, but also in poor practice? I thought twitter was something little girls and Tosh.0 did? Just post in the forums please, keep it simple.

i agree. again, as i've said, bioware/ea need to understand -- customer service/support are a huge deal, and communication is everything. i'm glad they did address it, but why NOT address it on the official site?

i agree. again, as i've said, bioware/ea need to understand -- customer service/support are a huge deal, and communication is everything. i'm glad they did address it, but why NOT address it on the official site?

Because if it is on their official site, it's "official".

... and BioWare doesn't want to "officially" claim that their game is flawed.

Being in a Sniper during Warzones I seem to notice and complain about this more often than my friends, I usually don't mind if it's a short delay and the action goes through as I can remedy that by thinking ahead.

But my biggest problem comes from when say - Take Cover doesn't want to deploy for some odd reason, no error message saying I couldn't use it here or anything else..it just does not deploy no matter how often I smash my button and this is with a 78 latency. :confused:

Edited by MalakDawnfire

There hasn't been a single issue that I've read on these forums that were not brought up during beta in any phase.

Here is how you get it though... 2011 income statement. Release this game early for an injection of money before the year end. Short term, you'd be dumb not to release. Long term, you're gambling on how well the developers can handle releasing an unfinished game.

you took the words right outta me mouth.

fact is, this WAS brought up in beta, over and over again.

I bet I know the answer, but is there any way to see any of the forums/conversations about it from the beta period? I'd love to go back and see the evolution of this and how it got released like this and is now a huge problem.

I bet I know the answer, but is there any way to see any of the forums/conversations about it from the beta period? I'd love to go back and see the evolution of this and how it got released like this and is now a huge problem.

I think I made a thread about it once. Not sure if it's still under but I'll see if I can post it.

I don't think there is. But as someone who was in beta and noticed this, then went looking for threads specifically about this, it did exist to a large extent. The game was released with this mechanic intentionally implemented how it is today, there is NO WAY devs missed community feedback about this.

The cover function is terrible for me. I may press cover and then i *wait* for my character to actually do it. The wait time is somewhere around 0.5-1 second. It affects combat in a very nasty way. However it is not to be confused with the "roll" animation - it's the wait for it that is annoying. For some reason the game is just so unresponsive to me, even with a 30-50ms latency. It's like playing with a really high latency above 500ms at least.

I don't know if it's the zone you're in, fps related, how many people are around you etc... However at times when there are no people around me, inside a building/instance(excl. flashpoints) it's more responsive, almost instant - like it should be! (note: regardless of my fps).

Edited by hulduet

I donno if its just me but in WoW many of the ability all look the same but the damage is done instantly. Say a frostbolt channel looks the same as a fireball channel or the instant cast spell. The casts are race specific not class. Now in swtor the animation for every single move is different could this be what is effecting the delay.

But even so it still doesn't make sense when you channel something and it doesn't actaully shoot till 1.0 seconds later every single time not due to lag. Thats something wrong with the animation or the spell cast is actaully longer then it says.

Edited by Littlescuba

The gameplay has to flow like a river!

At this point its clearly not flowing.

Please give this "issue" a high priority.

I want to use a skill an be sure that i used it. At the moment i keep a constant look at my skillbar because i dont know did i use it or did something else happens instead.

I repeat myself, but pls make this a major priority thing!

I donno if its just me but in WoW many of the ability all look the same but the damage is done instantly. Say a frostbolt channel looks the same as a fireball channel or the instant cast spell. The casts are race specific not class. Now in swtor the animation for every single move is different could this be what is effecting the delay.

But even so it still doesn't make sense when you channel something and it doesn't actaully shoot till 1.0 seconds later every single time not due to lag. Thats something wrong with the animation or the spell cast is actaully longer then it says.

The animation cast time should be included in the spell cast time, so they go off at the same time. To delay the animation AFTER the cast time is silly, hence, the silliness of swtor casting. What is the length of the animation, who knows??? 1 second or 2 seconds maybe more?? How do you know when your next spell is going to go off, based on the length of the previous spell cast time or animation time???

This issue is killing me literally and figuratively in competitive pvp.

This needs fixing big time

Its killing me in PvE. When I get ambushed by 4 or more enemies after conversations/cut scenes, where the boss summons adds....or enemies just spawn out of nowhere, i use several abilities rapidly... and stuff just breaks. This game wasn't mean't for fast paced combat, with all the graceful animations ...

I don't even want to PvP when I see how stuff breaks in PvE vs multiple enemies when I'm hitting abilities like crazy.

My theory: I think it's because of the ability queue.

Sometimes some abilities bug out. Example: Bounty Hunter Unload. The animation goes into an infinite loop.

If an enemy uses an ability to push you away, and you use an instant ability, weird stuff happens.

Combat system is too unreliable for PvP.

I don't PvP in MMOs but ... i know what you guys are talking about.