Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I cancelled my subscribtion because of this problem. I will subscribe again when this problem is solved. I'm not willing to pay for a game with a broken combat system.

I'd appreciate a statement from BioWare. When do you BioGuys think you'll have this fixed?

Sometime is the comming months... When? Unsure to say the least.

Since prelaunch they got flooded by a ton of problems, be it disconnect, fps problems, bugs, ui and whatnot? Since launch the problems went 10fold.

So sit tight or play another game and keep monitoring SWTOR progress.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really ? from what i remember of my smuggler i though it was when the grenade hit.

Anyway, some ability does hit faster/slower than their mirror class (like project/shock).

But what is the problem with ability landing beetween 0.1-1.4 second? As long as you can do 1 ability every 1.5 second it does not really change anything. Stun/interupt/utility are pretty much instant from my experiance.

I think the combat system need some tweak and polish, but i dont see a problem with this specific issue.

In my experience, some are, some aren't, class dependent. Other people claim it's constantly not. Some say it always is. And that's probably why the Dev comment was so vague, as it hints there are several things worth investigating or evaluating.

I've had Int's and Stuns not go off, which sucks in boss fights. I've even run everything as low as possible and it still happens. I subscribe to the animation priority theory, myself.

Also, one can assume one of the core problems here is you cannot cast:

Channeled Attack, Instant Attack, and get a Boom, Boom! scenario like some other games.

All comments in this thread aside, Bioware hasn't said it should/shouldn't be like that, so that's why people are interested. If it is, say so. If it isn't, there's a problem.

The answer we have so far leans to the second.

For all I know, some overzealous animator botched up the combat team's fine tuning.

Also, one can assume one of the core problems here is you cannot cast:

Channeled Attack, Instant Attack, and get a Boom, Boom! scenario like some other games.

All comments in this thread aside, Bioware hasn't said it should/shouldn't be like that, so that's why people are interested. If it is, say so. If it isn't, there's a problem.

The answer we have so far leans to the second.

For all I know, some overzealous animator botched up the combat team's fine tuning.

You mean like you cant cast an instant right after a channeled?

Edit : I just tested that and it works great. Also if i cast my channeled right after a casted ability, the channeled animation will start like 1sec after the ability actually start damaging, giving time for the casted animation to finish. So in that case, the ability doesn't wait for the previous animation to finish to fire, but the animation does.

Edited by boobaffet

I cancelled my subscribtion because of this problem. I will subscribe again when this problem is solved. I'm not willing to pay for a game with a broken combat system.

I'd appreciate a statement from BioWare. When do you BioGuys think you'll have this fixed?

Read the end of the OP or top on page 123 to see, that Bioware reacted to this thread. They took their time, but they reacted!

So sit tight or play another game and keep monitoring SWTOR progress.

Cancelling my subscribtion is more a statement than a retirement. I want BioWare to know that this problem is extremely critical.

I like SWTOR and I want to play it, but it's frustrating when you hit your defensive cooldown and nothing happens. You hit the key and your hp keep droping...70%...60%...50%... you keep hitting the button...40%...30%...finally it activates! - but too late: You go down. I don't want to play like this. It's a pain.

I hope they have this fixed before my free month expires.

Read the end of the OP or top on page 123 to see, that Bioware reacted to this thread. They took their time, but they reacted!

Thanks!

Edited by Ibuki

bioware defenitly needs to fix this problem .. its the only thing stopping this game of becoming and amazing mmo. Its the only thing i dont like about SWTOR if they make the gameplay smoother this game is going to be so much more amazing that it is right now .. I do alot of pvp and I know its going to be a paint if they dont fix it.

Cancelling my subscribtion is more a statement than a retirement. I want BioWare to know that this problem is extremely critical.

I like SWTOR and I want to play it, but it's frustrating when you hit your defensive cooldown and nothing happens. You hit the key and your hp keep droping...70%...60%...50%... you keep hitting the button...40%...30%...finally it activates! - but too late: You go down. I don't want to play like this. It's a pain.

Yep annoying as hell and I don't know how long I will be pulling out my hairs because of this. Practically you spam your button and nothing happens ... and you watch 5 seconds.... your char swinging his arms around because of your previous 2 second skill (how they call it? heroic combat?) doing NOTHING.

Quick update on another repeatable ability bug :

Sith inquisitor :

Step 1 : target a mob

Setp 2 : launch shock

Setp 3 : While the GCD triggered by shock is still active, launch recklessness

Setp 4 : As soon as your force lightning is available launch it

with 111 fps and 60 ms for me its a 100% bug rate so far. And by bug i mean the force lightning animation is triggered, no damage done, no cooldown on force lightning, can happen up to 3 full animations without doing actual damage and putting the skill on cooldown.

Edited by Vindor

Posting so I can rate the thread.

When TOR was in beta, I said in one of my comment forms that control responsiveness was my only real worry; I said that LOTRO was about a 2/10 for responsiveness and crisp control, WOW was 10/10, and TOR was sitting at about a 6.

It's improved since then, but still the little bits of hesitation in the controls bug me several times per minute when I'm in combat. I don't know if this issue will make or break TOR, but if I could pick the most important areas for improvement (it's a short list - I love this game) control responsiveness would be in my top three.

My pet example: in WOW you could start casting a frost bolt, interrupt the cast by jumping, fire off an ice lance while in mid-air, land, and start mining a node the instant your character's feet hit the ground. Try doing something like that in TOR and I predict the instant cast either wouldn't go off or wouldn't go off until after you hit the ground, and you'd probably get a "can't do that while moving" error when you tried the harvesting action.

Edited by jfahy

God, this issue is killing me, this is the exact motive why I didnt even play the 30 free days of WAR when I bought it, if I want to play a "bad copy of WoW", I play WoW instead, but I like this game, but with this issue, I suppose I'll stop playing it when I finish all quest zones, it is a pity to buy a MMO to only play its one player content... because PvPing like this is depressing

My pet example: in WOW you could start casting a frost bolt, interrupt the cast by jumping, fire off an ice lance while in mid-air, land, and start mining a node the instant your character's feet hit the ground. Try doing something like that in TOR and I predict the instant cast either wouldn't go off or wouldn't go off until after you hit the ground, and you'd probably get a "can't do that while moving" error when you tried the harvesting action.

Reading this makes me even more frustrated. In a good game it feels like the gcd is the limitting factor in swtor it feels like the game is the limiting factor and the gcd is there to add insult to injury.

Reading this makes me even more frustrated. In a good game it feels like the gcd is the limitting factor in swtor it feels like the game is the limiting factor and the gcd is there to add insult to injury.

This describes my feelings on the matter precisely.

In WoW I just don't notice the GCD.

In SWTOR I constantly end up checking to see if the GCD is running when abilities don't fire off even though I know the GCD has ended.

Had the same issue in RIFT, though it was substantially less annoying there. Guess it wasn't as severe.

Edited by ShadowMasterRP

this issue is under active investigation.

The complication is that there are actually a number of different issues with very different causes and potential resolutions lumped together in this thread.

All we can say for now is 'we are actively working on the topic of character responsiveness'.

read this

Posting so I can rate the thread.

When TOR was in beta, I said in one of my comment forms that control responsiveness was my only real worry; I said that LOTRO was about a 2/10 for responsiveness and crisp control, WOW was 10/10, and TOR was sitting at about a 6.

It's improved since then, but still the little bits of hesitation in the controls bug me several times per minute when I'm in combat. I don't know if this issue will make or break TOR, but if I could pick the most important areas for improvement (it's a short list - I love this game) control responsiveness would be in my top three.

you just reminded me of another one of my pet peeves -- the bloody STUPID "can't do that while moving" error, which is most likely associated with this whole bugged combat/play/responsiveness thing. that happened to me in rift, as well, and it ANNOYS me to no end. i am NOT moving. i stopped moving WELL over a half-second ago, my feet were FIRMLY planted, so WHAT IS THE DEAL??

thanks!