Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

The animation cast time should be included in the spell cast time, so they go off at the same time. To delay the animation AFTER the cast time is silly, hence, the silliness of swtor casting. What is the length of the animation, who knows??? 1 second or 2 seconds maybe more?? How do you know when your next spell is going to go off, based on the length of the previous spell cast time or animation time???

That's my point you just elaborated :D

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been banging my head against the wall with this thing since level 10 (the moment you're able to start doing warzones). While in Flashpoints and mob fights I don't have a problem with that (I barely notice it)... me being a guardian with instant spells and watching my bladestorm staggering while praying to all Divine Entities for the spell to finally land... well I'm sorry but when I have an instant spell I expect that instant spell to be INSTANT not to wait for it for 3 secs.

EA doesn't chop their money with 3 days delay on the payday, do they?

Oh wait... it's EA :)

I finally worked out what the OP is talking about. I can be a bit slow sometimes, but I realise it is exactly what has been frustrating me with combat the whole time.

/sign

it's worse if you play a melee class.

I play a ranged class so i did not feel it that much, but when i tried to roll a melee alt (jedi knight), the animation lag just pissed me off so much i gave up.

Thank you. I love you for finally putting the time and effort into a well thought out post. This is a serious problem that needs to be addressed and not just avoided because the "game was just released" ... no. This is a detrimental problem. This problem is the reason why every time I left wow I returned, because the gameplay in other games was not up to par. When every spell or ability is a headache and the timing is off the gameplay is ruined. I'm tired of dying before I can use a medpac or be unable to create a spell rotation because of the way the game delays everything....

Thanks again. Hopefully they listen and the fanboys understand that pointing out a flaw is meant to create a better game, not just be an attack on their beloved video game.

When people refer to the game being unresponsive in general, they refer to the fact that several abilities listed as 'instant' are nothing but instant, but rather have hidden cast-times that you're forced to wait through before you get your ability effect.

Then there's also that those that have actual cast times, seem to often suffer from animations longer then the cast making them drag out.

This.

When I played IA in beta I was somewhat irritated by the backstab.. it felt nothing like instant ability.

Remember WoW's combat was pretty bad for the first like six months or even longer. Its definitely a problem now in Swtor but look at WoW they certainly fixed it. It will get done.

Let's wait for their official announcement about this. They may come back and say "working as intended", which it clearly is, or they might say "yes, we were wrong, and we will fix it". It could go either way.

Edited by Froth

Remember WoW's combat was pretty bad for the first like six months or even longer. Its definitely a problem now in Swtor but look at WoW they certainly fixed it. It will get done.

WoW had no such problem at launch.

And to the poster directly above me, ability queues are not the answer, this is supposed to be somewhat of action RPG with rules based combat, not a click-n-watch of previous BioWare games.

I just don't see the big deal. Guess it is a WoW thing.... Called Easy Mode

I don't know any "modern" day MMO that uses a delay for combat..what's funny is the thing people are complaining about doesn't even effect PVE nearly as much as PVP though which tends to be the height of competitive play for a game.

When you push a button you expect that your ability to go off soon as you click that button otherwise it's nearly impossible to get off a heal, interrupt or even a regular attack. If you don't understand this then fine, imagine if you would your mouse, you moved it normally without any delay. Now imagine moving your mouse but there is a delay with the movement, that is far more than a mere annoyance if you were used to your mouse being responsive and would be frustrating if attempting to do your daily computing!

Edited by MalakDawnfire

WoW had no such problem at launch.

And to the poster directly above me, ability queues are not the answer, this is supposed to be somewhat of action RPG with rules based combat, not a click-n-watch of previous BioWare games.

This times a trillion

Dragon Age II

"Press a button and something awesome happens!"

That didnt work out so now Bioware tries another approach:

Star Wars : The Old Republic

"Press a button and nothing happens!"

Edited by Lhaim

I don't know any "modern" day MMO that uses a delay for combat..what's funny is the thing people are complaining about doesn't even effect PVE nearly as much as PVP though which tends to be the height of competitive play for a game.

When you push a button you expect that your ability to go off soon as you click that button otherwise it's nearly impossible to get off a heal, interrupt or even a regular attack. If you don't understand this then fine, imagine if you would your mouse, you moved it normally without any delay. Now imagine moving your mouse but there is a delay with the movement, that is far more than a mere annoyance if you were used to your mouse being responsive and would be frustrating if attempting to do your daily computing!

I see very little delay and it will be fixed. Why QQ about it over and over for 100 pages?

I have no problem killing in PVP and rarely fall before 3rd or 4th in damage. It will be fixed if there is a delay to say it is "GOING TO KILL THE GAME FOREVER". Is just damned silly.

WoW sucked by the way one of the worst of all. I played MMO's since 1998 with UO. WoW became one the most popular of all because of marketing it was never a great game ever.

at one point it was, character combat was not its downfall. friends didn't share it with friends on a personal level because they hated it, it was the opposite, despite your ignorant personal bias.