Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So now i don't have to adapt to this perfect and realistic gameplay?What happend???

The other guy said that all people are wrong and they wanted a copy of WOW.But he as a pro knows how to adapt to new games and can be good in this game.

Don't leave me in the dark.Now i must press buttons fast or one by one???

oh God help me

Who said it was perfect? We adapted to change, and we will adapt again once it's fixed.

Simple.

I'm sorry, but the fact that your ego is inflated to the point of literally you think you are right while everyone else are wrong, and the problem most be connected to lag from bad hardware...

You really need to shut up. I'm sorry for saying it like that, and it isn't very nice - but the way you have been conducting yourself in this thread right from the get-go is getting me pissed off.

Anyway--

I'm very happy at Stephen Reids acknowledgement of the issue, and we can only hope the issue can be fixed sooner rather than later=)

My ego has nothing to do with it. I never said people were wrong, I did say I was right, because I am. All I kept saying is they're obviously aware and working on it. Stephen Reid just officially told you what I've been saying.

You're not wrong about the bug, it's obviously there. I did say that bad hardware makes it worse. It's only logically, the slower your processing power, the better the odds you'll encounter things not firing off properly at the right time.

I've been saying that yes, this is a bug, no it doesn't happen all the time constantly. I said that I personally don't experience it that often with my beastly CPU but even when I do, it doesn't bother me to the point of shedding tears and threatening to leave this MMO because the customer is always right! q.Q

That's your opinion.

Here's the opinion of Arenajunkies (The home of PvPers in WoW)

That video isn't really even an accurate depiction of tors combat system because it doesn't show all the lag and gcd issues the game has where it can literally take up to 2-3 seconds to use instant abilities, and 3-4 seconds to use channeled ones when the animation bug out

Yeah it isn't, but it gives an idea. His grenade doesn't go off until the blasters have stopped firing. The game obeys animations more than cast times/GCD, which is *********** gay

my favorite thing is when u use a channeled spell and the animation goes off as does the cast bar, but it didnt actually go off and u have no way of knowing until you see it isnt dealing damage, oftne costing you 1-2+ seconds

If this isn't addressed by TOR devs in the near future I can't see myself playing this game in the long run...I am more then willing to give them a chance but in comparison to WoWs combat system TOR is $hit.

Those posts are consecutive. No one is arguing the other side there because there isn't a logical leg to stand on. Now before you go ahead and dismiss these people for either being PvPers or WoW players, realize that this is a key market that Bioware is trying to take from WoW.

Edited by Paganini

Meatbag stupidity and their ability to stack on a single bandwagon never ceases to amaze me. It's baffling how VERY few people actually come up with some technical and professional speculation for stuff, instead of yelling their cosmically valid off the bat conclusions based purely on practical and superficial knowledge and experience on games, internets technology etc.. Please, exercise discretion. Maybe it really is a latency problem, maybe it's not. However, if you had the IT wizardry required to be absolutely sure, you'd probably be much better off collaborating with Bioware to develop and enhance the game rather than filling the forums with pointless, repetitive posts.

Exactly, genius. So feel free to go "shop" the market elsewhere. Although, I suspect that the other MMO franchises won't be responding to your every whim and desire either. And if they do, it certainly will NOT be on YOUR timeframe.

You got an answer today. They know this is an issue. They're discussing it internally. They'll be speaking to all of us about it shortly.

Petulant child. :p

so 1500 player responses and 2 threads, one 260 pages and the other 80 pages is just one person complaining about every whim and desire.

reported for insults too

Who said it was perfect? We adapted to change, and we will adapt again once it's fixed.

Simple.

Adapting to something that is broken, and then not complain as "It isn't an issue, as I have simply modified my play to work around this problem" isn't a solution to anything.

Just face that you've been wrong from the start, and leave with some dignity. Don't give us such a routine.

Edited by Contumelious

No i wont lie...In PvP I generally use my keybinds...I wont say I never click and still find success..but it is what it is

Thank you mate.Now i know that you are not here just to play the pro.

They must all understand that all here are customers and they pay and most of them are fans of Star Wars.No one wants this game to fail.We want this game to be good so we can play for a long time.

My ego has nothing to do with it. I never said people were wrong, I did say I was right, because I am. All I kept saying is they're obviously aware and working on it. Stephen Reid just officially told you what I've been saying.

You're not wrong about the bug, it's obviously there. I did say that bad hardware makes it worse. It's only logically, the slower your processing power, the better the odds you'll encounter things not firing off properly at the right time.

Are you trying to tell me that all you've said in your posts, in this topic is, "You're right, it's a bug, but they also know it's there and will eventually fix it"? Or what are you getting at? You're claiming to not initially dismiss it, not later claim it was caused entirely by hardware, not calling people out for being stupid enough to think it was a bug?

That is, sir, what you have been doing. I wish only thing you ever did was acknowledge the bug and claim it would be fixed - but that isn't the case.

Adapting to something that is broken, and then not complain as "It isn't an issue, as I have simply modified my play to work around this problem" isn't a solution to anything.

Just face that you've been wrong from the start, and leave with some dignity. Don't give us such a routine.

Forget about him mate.They all saw his replys and they can understand.

Now lets hope that they can do somethink about this and we can enjoy the game again.

YESSS! BW is looking into it. :D

Nr 1 rated question.

http://www.reddit.com/r/swtor/comments/nty9d/im_stephen_reid_senior_community_manager_for_star/

Some gamer: "Ability Delay. This has been brought up all over the forums at swtor.com including http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=95738 . Have you guys discussed this internally, and if so, is there an ETA for a fix on this issue?"

Stephen Reid:

"Hey! It has been discussed internally, and we'll talk about it publicly soon. It's not a simple issue so we don't want to issue a quick, off-the-cuff response."

All is well!

http://i43.tinypic.com/dzjak4.jpg

[–]TrueBlue84Zotics | Sentinel | The Crucible Pits 193 points 1 hour ago

Ability Delay. This has been brought up all over the forums at swtor.com including http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=95738 . Have you guys discussed this internally, and if so, is there an ETA for a fix on this issue?

[–]StephenReid 90 points 31 minutes ago

Hey! It has been discussed internally, and we'll talk about it publicly soon. It's not a simple issue so we don't want to issue a quick, off-the-cuff response.

Now we just have to wait for their response. Hopefully it is soon.

"Obviously aware" "Working on it" Dude, how would you have any means of knowing this inconclusively with their lack of communication with us on the issue unless you have an insider friend? If you do, I am sorry. If you don't, then stop acting like a know-it-all. Most of us know as much as you do, which is little to nothing, simply due to Bioware NOT RESPONDING TO US. The half-assed blaise Twitter post that dude left is not only short, but semi insulting if you ask me.

That's your opinion.

Here's the opinion of Arenajunkies (The home of PvPers in WoW)

Those posts are consecutive. No one is arguing the other side there because there isn't a logical leg to stand on. Now before you go ahead and dismiss these people for either being PvPers or WoW players, realize that this is a key market that Bioware is trying to take from WoW.

Again, it's his opinion as mine is mine. I never argued FOR the bug to stay in the game man, I argued that it wasn't game breaking to the point where I personally would quit. I also have argued that it will obviously be fixed, and yes he's right about the combat feeling like **** compared to WOW in it's current state. However, it looks 600 million times better and when it does work properly, it feels and looks SO much better than any other MMO I've played. Again, opinion shmopinions. Not very relevant, but the point I'm making it very simply that it will be fixed, that's all I've been saying.

I know better than to sit here and consider leaving for fear that Bioware will never improve the responsiveness and GCD until it's fine tuned as well as possible.

Stephen officially told everyone that they ARE aware of it and discussing ways to fix it. I'm just as happy as you are, here's to hoping they fix it properly and promptly.

Stephen officially told everyone that they ARE aware of it and discussing ways to fix it. I'm just as happy as you are, here's to hoping they fix it properly and promptly.

More misinformation. He never said that.

He said "Hey! It has been discussed internally, and we'll talk about it publicly soon. It's not a simple issue so we don't want to issue a quick, off-the-cuff response."

They're discussing it internally. He never said anything about a fix or possible fix to the problem. It's entirely possible they are more concerned with cinematic combat that's dictated by animations than GCD based crisp combat. It might not be fixed at all.

Edited by Paganini

It's not even viable in casual group play. With you and your companion doing your story quest sure, it's doable and even enjoyable. I will just give one example of how prioritizing animations over character control is a bad thing.

We have a group in a flashpoint where the mobs including the bosses do what's called random agro. The tank (me) has some trash mobs and the boss tanked for the moment. The dps are doin what they do best, slaughter things, the healer is healing and all is well in a galaxy far far away. And then....The boss decides it wants to rip the healers face off, why? Who knows, maybe he doesn't like your pretty yellow dress, uhmm robe I meant robe. Remember these mobs do what's called random agro... The tank (me) is still tanking the trash mobs and as luck would have it is in the middle of a parry animation as the boss descends with a wicked gleam in his eye on our beloved robe wearing healer. Now because I'm in the middle of a game induced parry animation,when I taunt the boss calling him names using the most colorful of four letter words, it doesn'tt work. Well why the heck not you ask? Because animations overide character input , that's why. So, my gcd gets used but the taunt doesn't work. Since the gcd is used I now can't even jump to boss to try and save my robe wearing friend. The healer takes a pummeling tries to run off, kite, get away...anything to shake this boss and it aint happeneing. Healer dies.....I am dependant upon my healer to a certain degree as is the healer dependant upon me as is the entire group and vice versa. I failed my healer and my group because the game dictated I can do nothing while in a parry animation, BUT at the same time used the ability and the gcd even though it didn't fire. You see, there are times when you must have absolute control over your toon. Things can go south and that's when you need a responsive combat system. This is only one of the many many many reasons animations over gameplay is a bad idea. Others can cite other examples or ways in which the animations are causing issues. No, this isn't happening to everyone, no this doesn't happen all the time. It is only certain skills at certain times but is detrimental to gameplay and has already caused a group wipe once or twice. Now I love this game. I'm not going to quit. But I along with many others beg bioware to fix this in some manner.

Enjoyed reading this.. laughed my pants off.. But srly I agree to 100% and beyond. I have experinced the very same thing. Will I quit? No, because I really having a good time playing the game despite this. And I trust BioWare to come with a solution.

Are you trying to tell me that all you've said in your posts, in this topic is, "You're right, it's a bug, but they also know it's there and will eventually fix it"? Or what are you getting at? You're claiming to not initially dismiss it, not later claim it was caused entirely by hardware, not calling people out for being stupid enough to think it was a bug?

That is, sir, what you have been doing. I wish only thing you ever did was acknowledge the bug and claim it would be fixed - but that isn't the case.

I'd love to spend all day re-quoting myself but it's pointless. I defended my opinion and statements just like everyone else. I never said the bug wasn't there nor did I claim it was only caused by hardware. I said ****** hardware compounded the effects and that personally I didn't experience enough of it to bother claiming I'd quit over it. I didn't call people stupid for thinking it was a bug, I called people stupid for threatening to leave over this.

Ultimately, it will be fixed, if you've been around MMOs, you should know these issues get resolved and combat only gets smoother as time goes by. The only MMO I've ever played that always had horrible combat all the way through until I had enough and left was Champion's Online. Any AAA title I've played always thrived and worked as hard as possible to make combat as fluid and smooth as possible, but it takes times.

Not the kind of **** that gets fixed 8 days after launch.

Edited by Xzenorath

He said "Hey! It has been discussed internally, and we'll talk about it publicly soon. It's not a simple issue so we don't want to issue a quick, off-the-cuff response."

They're discussing it internally. He never said anything about a fix or possible fix to the problem. It's entirely possible they are more concerned with cinematic combat that's dictated by animations than GCD based crisp combat. It might not be fixed at all.

There's also the possibility that fixing it would be overwhelmingly laborous / practically impossible. That'd be sad. :(

As a current Linux kernel developer and a former game developer, I can almost guarantee you there are multiple ways to fix this ranging from simply deciding which animation takes priority and then firing off the other ability anyway, to making sure that animations stay in sync with channeling times, to changing some of the animations entirely.

When this many people are blowing up about an issue, they're not discussing whether or not to fix it, they're discussing the best way to fix it.

Not flaming you bro, but don't let your previous disagreements with the other guy cloud your logic.

Peace