Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

It's not "at the top of their list" because you made a giant thread.

He said that they're already discussing it internally. Which is EXACTLY what I've been saying all along, they're not idiots, they realize there's issues and when you complain this much about it, they actually bother to let you know they're working on it.

I've been saying that yes, this is a bug, no it doesn't happen all the time constantly. I said that I personally don't experience it that often with my beastly CPU but even when I do, it doesn't bother me to the point of shedding tears and threatening to leave this MMO because the customer is always right! q.Q

I said they're obviously aware and will fix it eventually.

Now, they've officially told you what I've been telling you.

You still don't know when or how they'll fix it, we're still with the same system you guys hate so much. All I did was repeatedly tell you what would obviously eventually happen, which it just did.

I'm impressed by your unflapable loyalty, or just your desire to be argumentative which seems more like the case. But you still dont know how serious the issue is and they havent officially given a response they responsed on reddit not this site.

And just from his response, its obviously a much bigger issue than they want to admit, because if it wasnt they would have just said, "Hey we know about the issue and are working on it."

Instead, he said they are aware of the issue are are preparing a statement. Like I said, the only reason you would do this is to not cause a panic, "OMG the game is broken cancel your subs!" or they dont really know how to fix the issue and would rather wait to make a statement when they actually know whats causing it and know they can fix it.

Which to me basically seems like the same type of damage control BP was doing during the initial phases of the oil spill. Again, not a good sign.

I hope they do fix it. And while they are at it they need to fix the raid frames not showing the correct health, which is most likely related to this issue too.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adapting to something that is broken, and then not complain as "It isn't an issue, as I have simply modified my play to work around this problem" isn't a solution to anything.

Just face that you've been wrong from the start, and leave with some dignity. Don't give us such a routine.

LOL, do you honestly think that I'm arguing for the bug to stay in the game?

I simply said I have changed my style of play to work around it so it isn't NEARLY as game-breaking as people are spewing.

As a current Linux kernel developer and a former game developer, I can almost guarantee you there are multiple ways to fix this ranging from simply deciding which animation takes priority and then firing off the other ability anyway, to making sure that animations stay in sync with channeling times, to changing some of the animations entirely.

When this many people are blowing up about an issue, they're not discussing whether or not to fix it, they're discussing the best way to fix it.

Not flaming you bro, but don't let your previous disagreements with the other guy cloud your logic.

Peace

key word "almost"

SWTOR is one of the biggest and most complicated games ever made. Fixing something as deeply ingrained as the combat engine is going to be very difficult and will be a fragile process. That's why SR said "It's not a simple issue"

I believe that was his point.

And I believe you missed mine. HINT: I was being sarcastic

Edited by Paganini

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakumene

Again, my game works fine. If its not your hardware....its your software.

Wow, troubleshooting is so hard sometimes....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moriam

Update: Stephen Reid, the Senior Community Manager has responded to a post on the reddit thread about ability delay.

The question: "Ability Delay. This has been brought up all over the forums at swtor.com including http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=95738 . Have you guys discussed this internally, and if so, is there an ETA for a fix on this issue?"

His Response: "Hey! It has been discussed internally, and we'll talk about it publicly soon. It's not a simple issue so we don't want to issue a quick, off-the-cuff response."

So we can all relax guys! They hurd us! Herp.

Now what they will respond with is interesting.

Time to pack up your crayons ;)

So your assumption being - ANY acknowledgement of the "ability delay" from Stephen Reid means that EVERYONE has this issue? Really?

Again, works fine on my end. Must be YOUR software/hardware. I'm not stating some people don't have problems, and hooray for you- looks like they'll comment on it soon.

Time to pull the crayons out of your nose...

so 1500 player responses and 2 threads, one 260 pages and the other 80 pages is just one person complaining about every whim and desire.

reported for insults too

You're the only one stamping your foot. You whined about the ability delay. Mr. Reid addressed this by saying the team knows about it and is working on it. Then you proceeded to whine about the lack of a timeline. It's pedantic and churlish behavior on your part. I think Mr. Reid said it best:

Umm, lots of questions in there. Some I've already answered above, so you might want to hunt those out.

I will say that there isn't much here I haven't heard discussed, or that the development team is unaware of, but I can't give you ETAs. Why? Because development is complex, things change over time, and giving out ETAs just leads to RAAAGE when we don't hit the original suggested date (as people tend to forget what the 'E' stands for in 'ETA').

Anyway - everything you say we're aware of, that much I'll say.

Keep RAAAGING!

People with the issue should start noting their specs - cpu, video card, internet connection, etc.

It's not affecting everyone - and no one is troubleshooting it. Only screaming bloody murder and threatening to quit claiming this is the official game ender.

People with the issue should start noting their specs - cpu, video card, internet connection, etc.

It's not affecting everyone - and no one is troubleshooting it. Only screaming bloody murder and threatening to quit claiming this is the official game ender.

Spreading misinformation usually isn't a good solution either. This isn't a hardware issue. With every post you make I'm becoming more and more convinced you're a troll.

Spreading misinformation usually isn't a good solution either. This isn't a hardware issue. With every post you make I'm becoming more and more convinced you're a troll.

Wow, okay. I tried to be nice.

But you're just an idiot. Seriously. People trying to help you are just getting slapped in the face by your Stick of Idiocy. Screw it, good day. Please cancel.

Somewhere, buried DEEP in the original thread, there was a post where an individual experiencing the issue did list the specs of their machine. And a damn nice machine it was. Like many others, I believe it's not the hardware, it's the game. I think Mr. Reid's statement indicates he knows that as well.

You're right, it could be a software AND a hardware issue!

So in addition to posting your CPU, Motherboard, Video Card, include your Network Card, Internet Service Provider, condition of internet wiring, model numbers of your modem and router (if applicable), and all bios and software versions currently used with any of this equipment.

Tell me Paganini - other than accusing others of trolling, what have you contributed?

Edited by Zakumene

Commenting in the spirit of improvement, not some silly threat.

The response is the worst when trying to do things like interrupt. Like.. there was no GCD, I have ample resource, and my interrupt/stun still isnt going off right when I hit it for whatever reason at random. Its frustrating to get hit by things I shouldnt when I did everything right.

Doing HM stuff at 50 or highend PVP is only going to amplify this when those things will mean the difference between life and insta-gib.

Please Fix.

I totally agree with the OP. I have really noticed the Ability delay and it really makes pvp healing very difficult. It's definately does not feel as responsive or smooth, as some of the other games(specifically wow). This is a very negative effect on the MMORPG aspect, disconnect between character and controller. It really does have a major effect on the playability. I would love to see this fixed, as I really enjoy the game. It is only a few weeks old now, so I do hope to see major fixes soon. (UI Customization/Addons and Responsiveness). ;)

key word "almost"

SWTOR is one of the biggest and most complicated games ever made. Fixing something as deeply ingrained as the combat engine is going to be very difficult and will be a fragile process. That's why SR said "It's not a simple issue"

Right, but from a development standpoint, figuring out the "right way" to fix something is often more difficult than actually implementing the fix. It's about tradeoffs. What am I going to sacrifice to fix this particular issue? Is it performance? Is it a feature that I worked for months to implement? You see my point.

The other option, of course, is that is *is*, in fact, a core engine issue, but I don't think that's the case. An issue this big most likely would have been noticed and handled during internal testing long before we ever saw the game.

In any case, I don't think it's unfixable, or ssomething that's going to require some huge rewrite to fix. If it is, then I'll stand corrected and eat crow. For now though, from my experience, I just don't think that's the case.

Edited by lenonk

I hope they do fix it. And while they are at it they need to fix the raid frames not showing the correct health, which is most likely related to this issue too.

Agreed.

There's lots they need to fix really.

Like sending out 3 companions to craft and then not being able to summon one of the last 2 because 1 of the 3 you sent out was already summoned. Who the **** thought this through?

Or instant-cast animations breaking channeled abilities. (Pop Recharge Cell, use Full Auto, the recharge cell breaks Full Auto everytime, but the damage still happens, you just don't know when it's done)

Or Mortar Volley firing for about 4 seconds when it's should be firing for 3, meanwhile Death from Above (mirror ability) doesn't suffer from the same fate.

There's so many things that need to be fixed... I personally don't think .5 second is that big of a deal, especially since everyone experiences it, not just 1 person due to X factor, but it certainly would make combat more fluid and enjoyable.

I do agree on the instant casts not firing off properly, interrupts not getting off in time, not being able to use abilities after using instant-cast-off-the-GCD-skills bugs should be fixed asap though. Those are a lot more critical than the overall "clunky" feeling people have been talking about, imo, but whatevs.

So in addition to posting your CPU, Motherboard, Video Card, include your Network Card, Internet Service Provider, condition of internet wiring, model numbers of your modem and router (if applicable), and all bios and software versions currently used with any of this equipment.

Tell me Paganini - other than accusing others of trolling, what have you contributed?

There is ability delay, easily replicated by anyone in this thread as per the first videos. You also have Bioware acknowledging the issue, but because you (sample size of one ftw) haven't noticed anything it must be everyone elses problem.

Either you're an idiot or a troll, your choice.

Am I the only person here who thinks that the responses given to us VIA twitter is not only annoying/semi-insulting, but also in poor practice? I thought twitter was something little girls and Tosh.0 did? Just post in the forums please, keep it simple.

Right, but from a development standpoint, figuring out the "right way" to fix something is often more difficult than actually implementing the fix. It's about tradeoffs. What am I going to sacrifice to fix this particular issue? Is it performance? Is it a feature that I worked for months to implement? You see my point.

The other option, of course, is that is *is*, in fact, a core engine issue, but I don't think that's the case. An issue this big most likely would have been noticed and handled during internal testing long before we ever saw the game.

In any case, I don't think it's unfixable, or ssomething that's going to require some huge rewrite to fix. If it is, then I'll stand corrected and eat crow. For now though, from my experience, I just don't think that's the case.

Well, I think (and hope) you're probably right. I was just telling the troll that there's a chance that no fix is coming.

Wow, okay. I tried to be nice.

But you're just an idiot. Seriously. People trying to help you are just getting slapped in the face by your Stick of Idiocy. Screw it, good day. Please cancel.

Do I know you? I'm trying to prevent other people from wasting their time trying to hunt down a problem on their computer when this is a well known issue that comes from the game. Didn't know that was such a horrible offense.

Troll or <15 years old

Am I the only person here who thinks that the responses given to us VIA twitter is not only annoying/semi-insulting, but also in poor practice? I thought twitter was something little girls and Tosh.0 did? Just post in the forums please, keep it simple.

Eh, ultimately people re-post his post here, it's no biggy. There's high visibility on those websites and not everyone follows a specific thread on the forums.

There is ability delay, easily replicated by anyone in this thread as per the first videos. You also have Bioware acknowledging the issue, but because you (sample size of one ftw) haven't noticed anything it must be everyone elses problem.

Either you're an idiot or a troll, your choice.

Thank you to you and others that have filled in for Xcore!

I sure hope we havent lost him to all these trolls!!

I don't suffer from FPS issues or high latency yet I have to agree with the OP.

E.g. Lightning Strike on my Sith Sorcerer is one of my spammable nukes. I cast it three times to stack one of the talent tree buffs. It has a 1.5 sec cast time so it should take 4.5 secs for me to stack the buff. WRONG! Sometimes I can achieve this. Most of the time however, the cast bar reaches the end of the cast and the attack delays in firing... my character just stands there... ponders a bit... and then Zzzzt! Fires the lightning. My ping is 45-50 and my graphics are fine.

So yeah...

+1 OP.

Edited by TonyJP

It's obvious that there are folks in this thread who simply don't grasp what is going on here. Honestly, that's fine, you don't need to understand.

All I want is Bioware to comment on the issue. Either:

"We're happy with the current state of gameplay responsiveness."

Or

"We plan to improve gameplay responsiveness."

And that's all I'll need to know to make my decision to renew my subscription.

100% /5char