Any chance a balance pass is in order? (Companions and Heroic Moment OP)

PulseRazor

Oh, Companions will obviously be nerfed. I love hyperbole as much as the next person, but this really can't go unnoticed by our Devs. :p It's like solo mode flashpoint bot had a child with Jesus and a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Our Companions might be even sillier than that as they stand now.

That said, I'll be grinding influence to see how high I can get it before it is nerfed, because I can only imagine what a max influenced Companion is capable of under the current scaling mechanic. :eek:

Yeah, I did Esseles solo and just sent T7 off to get materials after he killed Ironfist by himself.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comps were never uselss unless you didnt even try to gear them. But I guess that woukd mean you would have to put alittle effort into it....and we dont want that now do we...

Actually, Khem was always a useless piece of programming space. I had him fully geared to level and he still could not tank a damn house fly. A second house fly appears? He can't tank it, he's paying all his attention to the first house fly.

Yesterday, after the change, I nearly had a heart attack when....just for kicks...I took Khem out of his dusty closet and witnessed him actually TANK something. I'm still shocked.

Plus, by requiring developers to only make game content playable to your personal play skill level - you are also requiring the game to have infinite queue times with no players....then people complain that the game doesn't have a strong player base and infinite queue times...

I do find it very disturbing that any newbie player can walk right into a full level 60 character....and have NO IDEA what any of the powers do. But then I think....let's face it, the world's general game playing audience mostly tries to power-level through any actual game content (or have other players drag them up through it) and gets to end game immediately. People post freaking power-level-proud posts all over the internet about just how much time they spent NOT sleeping, eating or going to the bathroom so that they could skip all of a developers actual game content....to then complain that there is not enough game content. Yes, I've seen that rant over and over and over. So for once the developers said "ok fine" and are letting all those obsessed with end-game-only fanatics just go right on ahead.

Yep will make for that many more idiots in flashpoints...but at least you can queue for those idiots to join you and the queue will pop....

Heroic Moment on a 5 minute cooldown, lasts for 2 minutes. this is obviously way too powerful. I like how it is a shorter cooldown, by the time 20 minutes is up, you forget that you can use the skill anyway. 40% uptime is ridiculously high. Make it last 30 seconds, or limit the activation of each skill to once, reduce the regen to only provide 100% of your health... do something.

Companions are just too OP. I am sitting now in a Heroic, Kira is Healer, she is tanking 2 golds, 3 silvers, healing me, cc'ing off targets, and while I am afk writing this, she will have killed everything on the screen without my input.

Before anyone says: Don't use Heroic Moment, or don't use a Healer companion, or encourages me to create my own handicaps to make the pve world content playable, consider the impact this kind of pandering is going to have on matchmaking. Flashpoints are going to be plagued with people who have been conditioned for 65 levels to only use a single keybound skill. This game has enough problems with under-skilled people trying to play content they don't understand ("dur.... halp me kill Thanatoon...) - We don't need to pander to them by spoon feeding them content, do we?

DO WE?

Take a good look, it's people like this why we can't have nice things. Really sad.

Edit: Heroic missions are entry level group content. If it is too easy for you then go do ops or HM flashpoints where your companion and your heroic moment will not be a problem.

Edited by xxHellsmokexx

Hi,

I rarely write here, but in this case I think you miss one big point:

Bioware took away our options to gear companions and min/max their stats.

Thus companions MUST be OP, or tons of people would be up in arms, telling them that their companions would be more efficient, if they still could gear them themselves.

So I think the strong companions work as intended.

That's all I wanted to add. :)

Actually, Khem was always a useless piece of programming space. I had him fully geared to level and he still could not tank a damn house fly. A second house fly appears? He can't tank it, he's paying all his attention to the first house fly.

Yesterday, after the change, I nearly had a heart attack when....just for kicks...I took Khem out of his dusty closet and witnessed him actually TANK something. I'm still shocked.

Plus, by requiring developers to only make game content playable to your personal play skill level - you are also requiring the game to have infinite queue times with no players....then people complain that the game doesn't have a strong player base and infinite queue times...

I do find it very disturbing that any newbie player can walk right into a full level 60 character....and have NO IDEA what any of the powers do. But then I think....let's face it, the world's general game playing audience mostly tries to power-level through any actual game content (or have other players drag them up through it) and gets to end game immediately. People post freaking power-level-proud posts all over the internet about just how much time they spent NOT sleeping, eating or going to the bathroom so that they could skip all of a developers actual game content....to then complain that there is not enough game content. Yes, I've seen that rant over and over and over. So for once the developers said "ok fine" and are letting all those obsessed with end-game-only fanatics just go right on ahead.

Yep will make for that many more idiots in flashpoints...but at least you can queue for those idiots to join you and the queue will pop....

Oddly, I never had trouble getting Khem to tank in 3.X...

For the record though - I do agree with general bafflement on the dumbing down of Heroics. I don't really see why that was needed. It seems to me like there would be no harm in keeping some +4 challenging content that's not required for storytelling...for those looking for it. It makes no real sense to push down the Heroics. That part of patch seemed completely overkill.

Take a good look, it's people like this why we can't have nice things. Really sad.

Edit: Heroic missions are entry level group content. If it is too easy for you then go do ops or HM flashpoints where your companion and your heroic moment will not be a problem.

You are missing the point. He's not exaggerating. Companions can solo everything in the leveling quests. Including solo flashpoints and heroics. It's not a matter of him being too good for the easier content, it's a matter of the easier content playing itself because companions have become way OP.

This isn't a problem that can be fixed by playing Hard Modes, and it's not a problem that should be fixed by adventuring without a companion.

Edited by ReverendAnderson

Hi,

I rarely write here, but in this case I think you miss one big point:

Bioware took away our options to gear companions and min/max their stats.

Thus companions MUST be OP, or tons of people would be up in arms, telling them that their companions would be more efficient, if they still could gear them themselves.

So I think the strong companions work as intended.

That's all I wanted to add. :)

You couldn't make your companions this powerful before, no matter how you worked their stats. Companions, no matter what you did to them pre 4.0 didn't have twice your tank's health, or do nearly twice your damage while in healing mode.

Companions are over tuned, no question about it (not even including the whole making heroic moment now a 40% uptime.)

Whether or not them being way over tuned is good or bad depends on the person I suppose. Personally I don't really care either way since I'm mainly here for the story. I play SWToR as a break from games that are difficult or games where the main enjoyment is the whole 'competitive nature' type of fun. Which can get exhausting lol. SWTOR has never marketed itself around difficult competitive gameplay obviously, so I don't see the incredibly overtuned companions this expansion as too much of a surprise.

I do imagine Bioware might nerf them overall at some point, but I doubt it'll be by a significant amount, and I doubt it would be a very high priority.

I do know that if my influence level 10 Lana can solo every mob I can conceivably tag while consistently keeping us both topped off at 100%... imagine at level 50? Maybe she'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine...

Casual game caters to casual players. If you want something hard do nightmare raids.

It wouldn't surprise me if they do nerf companions though cos its laughably easy to solo heroics and FPs are easier if you kick 1 player and get a companion out to heal than they are with 4 players.

I dont get whats the big deal with Herioc ability being USEFUL finally. Before it had long cooldown and skills arent that short cooldown and only single use.

to this thread creator if you think this skill mechanic is OP then you probably got no clue how stupid OP is companion healing now. You are immortal even without activating heroic ability i can do massive pulls in 2+ areas and still survive.

Edited by Divona

It's impossible to die now. Like you have to try to die if you want it to happen. Before, I had to somewhat pay attention to my gear and rotations. Now? Well I just finished the last chapter on my shadow with my level 30 mods, and the final boss never dented my health at all. My sorcerer pre patch? Yeah he had a hella drawn out final fight that left me dry on mana for most of it.

I don't mind feeling powerful at times, it's kinda fun with random moments like that. But it's just waaaay too easy now. I bet my juggy could have afk'd the Reven fight aside from the mechanic. Even in the world my jug could destroy elites or whatever you call those bright *** white star mobs with ease.

I really don't care either way about world NPCs or leveling, but you can't say it's not stupid easy right now compared to what it was. Like trivial easy.

You are missing the point. He's not exaggerating. Companions can solo everything in the leveling quests. Including solo flashpoints and heroics. It's not a matter of him being too good for the easier content, it's a matter of the easier content playing itself because companions have become way OP.

This isn't a problem that can be fixed by playing Hard Modes, and it's not a problem that should be fixed by adventuring without a companion.

I actually enjoyed doing a flashpoint today where some idiot just left and was able to use my companion to replace that player without waiting. She did a great job healing and cleansing. Out of all the crap in this update and things that got removed, companions is the only thing that is better because they are actually useful now and can replace a player. But, I'm sure that will be nerfed because of little cry babies who don't enjoy the fact that a companion is actually useful after all these years. Before this patch it made no difference if I had my companion out or not. They were slow, they were weak and they sucked.

No worries though it will surely get nerfed..

Comp DPS and healers were slightly worse than a human player; and that was fine. Comp tanks couldn't hold aggro, which made them pointless

You sir must really really suck. Companion was never on any sort of even skill level of a human being not even close and if they were close to yours time to do some soul searching.

If you ask for a nerf you will receive it. And it will be a nerf so bad it will likely make them even weaker than they were before 4.0.

Of course this is exactly what happens when you push out super secret expansions without public testing of content and features.

I really really hate it when people become terrorists demanding nerfs, they really want to obliterate the game for the rest of us who actually like feeling important, not impotent.

There are many things you nerf-demanders can do to make things challenging for yourself, it's not the fault of the rest of us if you have no imagination.

All a nerf will do is punish new players, and whatever the nerf is, GUARANTEED the nerf terrorists won't be happy until this game gives us and our comps 1HP, whatever our level.

Not everybody shares a person's idea of challenge, nor should they ever have to or want to; 16m NiM is just too easy for these people...:rolleyes:

EDIT: I doubt they'd blow up BW:A, so no, they're not actual terrorists, but because nerfs happen when demanded, the devs must feel not a little afraid, and I don't blame them, considering what can happen.

Edited by sentientomega

Heroic Moment on a 5 minute cooldown, lasts for 2 minutes. this is obviously way too powerful. I like how it is a shorter cooldown, by the time 20 minutes is up, you forget that you can use the skill anyway. 40% uptime is ridiculously high. Make it last 30 seconds, or limit the activation of each skill to once, reduce the regen to only provide 100% of your health... do something.

Companions are just too OP. I am sitting now in a Heroic, Kira is Healer, she is tanking 2 golds, 3 silvers, healing me, cc'ing off targets, and while I am afk writing this, she will have killed everything on the screen without my input.

Before anyone says: Don't use Heroic Moment, or don't use a Healer companion, or encourages me to create my own handicaps to make the pve world content playable, consider the impact this kind of pandering is going to have on matchmaking. Flashpoints are going to be plagued with people who have been conditioned for 65 levels to only use a single keybound skill. This game has enough problems with under-skilled people trying to play content they don't understand ("dur.... halp me kill Thanatoon...) - We don't need to pander to them by spoon feeding them content, do we?

DO WE?

Take a deep breath and go outside for a little while.

I'm an elitist, I love difficult games and generally making them more difficult on myself with mods. Here's what I did to fix the issue with companions being too strong.

Dismiss Them.

And if you want extra challenge, dismiss the godbot AND your companion and go run a tactical.

Really, you can make this game as difficult as you want, no need to go screwing with other people's experiences.

For the record though - I do agree with general bafflement on the dumbing down of Heroics. I don't really see why that was needed. It seems to me like there would be no harm in keeping some +4 challenging content that's not required for storytelling...for those looking for it. It makes no real sense to push down the Heroics. That part of patch seemed completely overkill.

my thoughts exactly

I'm an elitist, I love difficult games and generally making them more difficult on myself with mods. Here's what I did to fix the issue with companions being too strong.

Dismiss Them.

And if you want extra challenge, dismiss the godbot AND your companion and go run a tactical.

Really, you can make this game as difficult as you want, no need to go screwing with other people's experiences.

This, or make comps passive, but they're still attacked; so yes, dismiss them entirely.

Thank you, this would solve pretty much everybody's problems.