Any chance a balance pass is in order? (Companions and Heroic Moment OP)

PulseRazor

I am glad that i can actually use all the companions now, instead of just Treek.....its awesome....i think they should have kept the heroics as they were pre-4.0 and have the companions as they are now.

Overall, i am happy with what they have done, though it is abit iffy with the companion influence being such a high cap, i will need to do ALOT of grinding to get them all to max influence, since if you don't pick what they like, it will never reach max on its own, you HAVE to pick the choices they like or give them millions, upon millions of credits worth of gifts.

I mean with Qyzen, he doesn't have any gifts that he loves, just 1 favourite....weapons, i gave him over 20 rank 5 gifts...7 blue gifts and the rest....purple gifts and he is only on Ilevel 10.....i don't see myself being able to max him out through my class story alone, i will have to use him exclusively through EVERYTHING to even remotely get him close to maxed out.

The only thing, i think they should have done with the companion influence system is how they did it with Dragonage 2, where you can max out the affection of the companion, as a rival or as a friend, it would have been better that way, but thats just my opinion, the current way right now is more of a massive grind, which for an mmo is expected.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me break it down for you.

grinding sucks. unkless you are asian. then you like it. replaying the same content over and over again sucks, too. dying while doing so is even worse.

I played at launch, I know of the dilemma that was comps, now I started new and I love the fact that I can go afk without dying. Simply love it. I can "enjoy" the story because I dont need to gather groups for quests, or whatever nonesense. I can easily breeze through. If you dont like it, dont play with a comp. But for new players it is awesome to get into the game.

I mean, storywise I am meant to be uber whatever, so just let me have fun being uber ;) I will get wooped in pvp anyways, so whatever.

Let me break it down for you.

grinding sucks. unkless you are asian. then you like it. replaying the same content over and over again sucks, too. dying while doing so is even worse.

I played at launch, I know of the dilemma that was comps, now I started new and I love the fact that I can go afk without dying. Simply love it. I can "enjoy" the story because I dont need to gather groups for quests, or whatever nonesense. I can easily breeze through. If you dont like it, dont play with a comp. But for new players it is awesome to get into the game.

I mean, storywise I am meant to be uber whatever, so just let me have fun being uber ;) I will get wooped in pvp anyways, so whatever.

You forget that bots love it.

Milking it until they figure out that Presence needs to downscale with all the other stats as well during level synch. Grind as fast as I can until they nerf the crap out of it.

You need to check up on your maths.

Presence is not giving a flat bonus after patch, but a percentage.

Apply said percentage on scaled down base values and you get scaled down modified values.

That said, I do agre that H2's are currently very easy, but i'm not convinced that's due to companions and not due to imperfect downscaling. Since I'm playing story-driven I don't mind that too much, though.

Yes, I am a Jedi Battlemaster, traveling the galaxy with my Padawan to bring an end to the Sith Empire. Oh wait, Kira can do that on her own. Before Companions were our little side kicks. Now it's the other way around. It's like beeing Hawkeye or Black Widow in the Avengers.

I'm not opposed to companions becoming a bit stronger compared to 3.x. I'm sure you could cut all their numbers in half and they would still be strong enough.

To those who demanded mandatory levelsync, and are now unhappy with the results -- some of us are very tempted to say, "You asked for it, you got it, now live with it".

I'll live with it. But, then, I only want a mild dial-back on comps. And level-sync itself has been more or less everything I had hoped for; I just didn't expect them to ramp companion power as far as they did.

Whatever companions can do, they still follow YOU, and YOU take credit for ALL their contributions; that's how it works, it's not such a meritocracy.

I'll live with it. But, then, I only want a mild dial-back on comps. And level-sync itself has been more or less everything I had hoped for; I just didn't expect them to ramp companion power as far as they did.

Without it though, I doubt I would've been able to solo Aurora Cannon, or Oricon, and I want to still be able to do that for the weeklies.

Edited by sentientomega

How about you let more people reach max level and before calling for nerfs to anything. Stuff tends to even out as people level into higher content. If you think something is OP and it hurts your game play, then don't use it.

Me leveling solo with a companion doesn't impact anyone else.

level 65, legacy complete (cant disable it), datacrons complete(also cant disable it), companion rank 2 (in words: TWO) dd-stance 84K life

THIS IS ********!

Then seriously disable your companions...some of us enjoy the thought that having all of our bonuses mean something is important...

If you dont like it, find the door...I hear that from people all the time about others opinions...this is the first time Ive said it.

Theyve pretty much already trashed companions turning them into dress-up dolls with the same stats/actions.etc. So you wanna whine (and yes it is a whine, as well as the OP whos whining), and make them even less useful makes no damn sense...if you wanna pout, have fun and pout...but get over yourself

How about you let more people reach max level and before calling for nerfs to anything. Stuff tends to even out as people level into higher content. If you think something is OP and it hurts your game play, then don't use it.

Me leveling solo with a companion doesn't impact anyone else.

Exactly, if you do everything to make things easy, then it's on you.

If anything, the effects stats have for our chars should be buffed.

Arguably, the real test for soloing anything is without a companion.

Fixed that for you.

Everyone whining needs to man up and dismiss their companions before they start talking about difficulty changes. So solo some tacticals without their companions, then they can complain how easy it is.

Companions have made this game easy since launch, you could always dismiss them if you found it too easy, nothing changed in that regard.

Problem is somewhere else: all companions behave in combat the same, there is any reason of keeping 3 roles for each companion? Now, just get one and forget about the others, coz there is no difference.

And yet, Treek and HK were exceptional, now there is no difference.

Edited by lemonediscream

Problem is somewhere else: all companions behave in combat the same, there is any reason of keeping 3 roles for each companion? Now, just get one and forget about the others, coz there is no difference.

I never found them to be exceptional, I used Kira or Doc on my Knight and they would often kill Treek or HK before I could kill the owner.

If some people just notice companions can kick butt and take names. Welcome to SWTOR. If some folks before 4.0 had tried gearing them in something besides starter gear they wouldn't be so shocked. Some people in the game make sure their companions are welled geared. Either by crafting or the GTN. I know some before 4.0 thought greens looked spiffy but blue with purple ears and Ips are pretty nice also. You could put another chrs gear on a companion. You know the ones with purple mods and enchants. Legacy gear is our friend. Ok at least to some of us. It is like a bunch of little kids seeing fireworks for the first. You don't just know what to make of it.

I think they tuned the companions for the saintly new player. The extra 400+ presence a lot of us have is going to make them OP.

I didn't realize Heroic Moment is on a 5 minute cool down now. That is a bit ridiculous. The lasting 2 minutes is unchanged if you already had one of each type of companion legacy bonus.

I like this change. A lot of tank companion dependent classes had God-awful companions you were stuck with. My LS agent didn't particularly like Kaliyo or SCORPIO, and Treek is annoying as ****.

Edited by HarleysRule

There was little difference between H2s and H4s on the leveling planets and hasn't been since launch, I used to solo both of them easily at level with a companion from my third character onwards, only a couple were tricky like Alderaan where you'd pull stupid numbers of mobs sometimes. They haven't really changed anything except the title in these, and the downleveling in the bonus series.

no, there was a difference. H4 were much harder. And you and I could solo most H4 on level up to Belsavis, where it started to be impossible. You couldn't solo H4 on Corellia and Voss on level.

Everyone whining needs to man up and dismiss their companions before they start talking about difficulty changes. So solo some tacticals without their companions, then they can complain how easy it is.

Companions have made this game easy since launch, you could always dismiss them if you found it too easy, nothing changed in that regard.

Yes, companions are not broken at all! Those filthy pros only whine about the game being too easy! Don't like it? Dismiss companions! We are loving the power of our companions that kill other players in two hits! 30k per hit is not broken you filthy pros. Soloing the faction bases is fun too!

Edited by PavSalco

no, there was a difference. H4 were much harder. And you and I could solo most H4 on level up to Belsavis, where it started to be impossible. You couldn't solo H4 on Corellia and Voss on level.

But I have solo'd them. They didn't feel any different, just had more golds and champs than H2s. No difference if you didn't pull more than you could handle in one shot.

Hell, the hardest H4 to do at level is Trouble In Deed because you lack so many skills you need, yet I have never had an issue soloing it. Sure I'll die a few times if I make mistakes, but it's easily doable. The only time I ever died in top level heroics at level was the first room in Chasing the Shadow where you could get chain pulled by the droids, or accidently tripping the alarms in Aurora Cannon.

I like the heroic moment change.

I mean, now i don't have to save it for the 'oh crap!' moments and can use it instead of get rid of bosses that much faster.

As for companions, well no complaints on that change either, as i hated having to babysit them, cos even though i slapped good gear on them, tanks were absolutely useless (still died hilariously fast even to trash mobs), same with damage dealers, unless i'm throwing out heals at them which to be quite honest is not my idea of good time.

Only healers did okay, but that's hardly cause for celebration so this new change, i like that i don't have to actually micro them anymore to keep them from doing stupid crap and getting killed and can instead focus on getting stuff done in orderly fashion.

That said, knowing EAware, if they try to do a 'balance' pass, it'll mean nukes from orbit and salt thrown at the remains as there's no middle ground for them, it's either too good or piss poor useless.

Edited by LordMordeth

If some people just notice companions can kick butt and take names. Welcome to SWTOR. If some folks before 4.0 had tried gearing them in something besides starter gear they wouldn't be so shocked. Some people in the game make sure their companions are welled geared. Either by crafting or the GTN. I know some before 4.0 thought greens looked spiffy but blue with purple ears and Ips are pretty nice also. You could put another chrs gear on a companion. You know the ones with purple mods and enchants. Legacy gear is our friend. Ok at least to some of us. It is like a bunch of little kids seeing fireworks for the first. You don't just know what to make of it.

I always geared my companions, sometimes, when the mood struck me even with purple mods.

But now they are twice as strong as before.