The weird people you meet in Group Finder.

The question wasn't melee vs ranged, but if there are mechanics that make it benefical for ranged to be at max range to avoid or flat out circumvent certain mechanics.

Malaphar, no. You have to be in the circle and get out at certain stacks(or not, depending on gear and your healers), so no.

Squadron: No, red circles can land on everyone, same for the white circle and gravity missile.

Underlurker: I'll give you that due to the lurkerlings additional melee attack. Other than that, it's also irrelevant.

Revan is actually the other way around, two mechanics force you into melee even as a ranged dps(HK's shield and core).

Toth and Zorn, depends on your strategy. If your dps are competent, you can also switch targets after getting the dreadful debuff.

Torque, yeah I'll give you that too, due to turrets targeting the player closest to them. But this can also be dealt with by competent tanks.

So couple things.

Malaphar - You still want to be at the edge of the ring so when you hit 6-7 stacks you can pop out, get your 1 stack and pop back in.

Squadron, you do not want to be inside the aoe circle of the walkers so you still want to be outside of that while still maintaining range from the rest of the group. So the ideal set up is to stay "spread out."

Revan: You're forgetting the very first cleansing phase. If you're in melee, cleanses will splash and you'll never finish it properly. Hence why being all ranged on that fight is just a million times easier than coordinating cleanses with melee dps telling them to "get away from the group."

so after spending the last couple of days learning to tank I switched back to my mando heals for the dailies.

Tactical Mando Raiders popped and all was well, we even had a tank so the only annoying part of that fp (first boss) would be a breeze! nope.

we make our way to the first boss, with the tank deciding to los a mob that doesn't really need to be los (silvers in the small corridor) and then charges in on the big pack of silvers before the boss that most groups los. didn't matter to me though as its just a tact.

tank jumps in and pulls the boss, all is good it seems. but they don't move an inch, and the dogs then proceed to jump on the tank.

the tank writes out:

"move dogs away from boss" to which I replied

"move boss away from dogs, dogs have random aggro", we had at least one mdps, so it would have been easier for the tank to move away from dogs, right? nope. tank stays there, and says

"are you really going to tell me how to tank this fp?" which I wasn't, and then they add

"everyone knows that you tank the boss right here in this corner" (they hadn't pulled the boss an inch from where he spawned). then finally, after losing aggro of the boss says "l2p before getting on my back" - as if I was being rude - and leaves group, and throws me on ignore just for good measure.

so like I said, I only recently started to learn how to tank, so I'm not 100% sure on where boss should be placed, and the second boss of that fp has me avoiding that fp as a tank.... but this tank didn't even move the boss...now I really don't care if it is what people do on that boss or not... but even if it is correct, its really not that hard just to move the boss away from the rest of the dps, even for a couple of seconds til dogs switch aggro.

so like I said, I only recently started to learn how to tank, so I'm not 100% sure on where boss should be placed, and the second boss of that fp has me avoiding that fp as a tank.... but this tank didn't even move the boss...now I really don't care if it is what people do on that boss or not... but even if it is correct, its really not that hard just to move the boss away from the rest of the dps, even for a couple of seconds til dogs switch aggro.

Place isn't that important but it's usually either on left next to forcefield or on right next closed door.

Point is just to keep boss away from dogs. In tactical/veteran that means just hitting the boss and taunting after he drops aggro on tank which happens immediately after carbonite freezing. Dogs can't be taunted. Nothing else to it.

Edited by Halinalle

Place isn't that important but it's usually either on left next to forcefield or on right next closed door.

Point is just to keep boss away from dogs. In tactical/veteran that means just hitting the boss and taunting after he drops aggro on tank which happens immediately after carbonite freezing. Dogs can't be taunted. Nothing else to it.

which is why I told the tank to move away. tank just needs to keep away from the rest of the group/dogs, wherever that may be in the room

so after spending the last couple of days learning to tank I switched back to my mando heals for the dailies.

Tactical Mando Raiders popped and all was well, we even had a tank so the only annoying part of that fp (first boss) would be a breeze! nope.

we make our way to the first boss, with the tank deciding to los a mob that doesn't really need to be los (silvers in the small corridor) and then charges in on the big pack of silvers before the boss that most groups los. didn't matter to me though as its just a tact.

tank jumps in and pulls the boss, all is good it seems. but they don't move an inch, and the dogs then proceed to jump on the tank.

the tank writes out:

"move dogs away from boss" to which I replied

"move boss away from dogs, dogs have random aggro", we had at least one mdps, so it would have been easier for the tank to move away from dogs, right? nope. tank stays there, and says

"are you really going to tell me how to tank this fp?" which I wasn't, and then they add

"everyone knows that you tank the boss right here in this corner" (they hadn't pulled the boss an inch from where he spawned). then finally, after losing aggro of the boss says "l2p before getting on my back" - as if I was being rude - and leaves group, and throws me on ignore just for good measure.

The first few seconds of the fight the dogs will be on the tank, that's normal. They switch target every few seconds, and as the tank pulls he is the only one on aggro table for the first few seconds of dog aggro. So dogs attacking tank for first few seconds is normal and there is no need to kite them at all, sabre ward, or reactive shield is more than sufficient.

After a couple seconds dogs will probably peel off (later on ill explain why I say probably). At this point any melee dps should start kiting away, and of course rdps and healers will be stood at range anyway. Then there is the aggro dump, every once in a while the boss will freeze the tank and aggro someone else. That will always be the healer as dps wont have hit the bloke at all (if they are doing it right). The freeze is 2 or 3 seconds, and if the tank taunts immediately after it wears off the bloke moves about 12m from the tank. I have no idea how big the red circle is but if we assume about 6m radius that means dogs need to be about 18m from bloke.

That's basically the entire fight, healers and dps stay inbetween console things, or that general area, and tank stands somewhere on raised platform bit, tank taunts on aggro dump. If you tank the bloke exactly where he starts the fight then his red circle wont even reach over the edge of the raised platform, giving plenty of room for dps and healers to kill dogs.

That's just the mechanics, as for making the fight as easy as possible I like to move to the kolto behind and to the left of the bloke so I can sort out my own health in tacticals.

Now for the pain in the *** bit. It is possible for dogs to randomly target the tank. Sometimes during the fight a dog will run at the tank and end up in blokes red circle. That's caused by bad RNG and there is f-all anybody can do to stop it, but any decent tank will just pop a dcd and carry on regardless, the dog will soon bugger off back to someone else. It is also possible for the dogs random aggro to prevent it peeling away from the tank at the very start of the fight.

I did at one point, after pulling the bloke and dragging him to my kolto, continue tanking the bloke and a dog for a fairly long time, the dog only went away on bosses second freeze. It is also I assume possible (but I have never seen it) for RNG to make both dogs attack the tank later on in the fight, again that's nobody's fault, just bad luck. The tank should just pop a dcd and ignore the dogs (unless its tactical with no healer then they might need to run to another kolto to cover the extra damage).

Basically theres no need to kite dogs, no need to move bloke (but its nice to have him in range of a kolto) and at the start of the fight mdps need to pay attention until the dogs are at a safe distance. With any competent group it will probably take 5 seconds to position bloke and dogs correctly and turn it into tank and spank.

It sounds from your story that the mdps got aggro from a dog and just stood where they were and expected the tank to move.

There are times that I move stuff to suit melee dps, for example the 2 droids on FE HM run I did, the op healer came and stood in blue circle with me, but the mara dps stayed outside and attacked and the sorc dps stood 20 odd meters away. I moved the boss closer to the middle of the blue circle so the mara had no choice but to stand in blue. Of course there was f-all I could do about sorc so just watched him die (and then do the classic moan about "tank not holding aggro" and "healer didn't heal properly."

most of the time when people die in fights its nothing to do with "bad tank" or "crap healer" it because they aren't following mechanics.

Edited by BobFredJohn

The first few seconds of the fight the dogs will be on the tank, that's normal. They switch target every few seconds, and as the tank pulls he is the only one on aggro table for the first few seconds of dog aggro. So dogs attacking tank for first few seconds is normal and there is no need to kite them at all, sabre ward, or reactive shield is more than sufficient.

After a couple seconds dogs will probably peel off (later on ill explain why I say probably). At this point any melee dps should start kiting away, and of course rdps and healers will be stood at range anyway. Then there is the aggro dump, every once in a while the boss will freeze the tank and aggro someone else. That will always be the healer as dps wont have hit the bloke at all (if they are doing it right). The freeze is 2 or 3 seconds, and if the tank taunts immediately after it wears off the bloke moves about 12m from the tank. I have no idea how big the red circle is but if we assume about 6m radius that means dogs need to be about 18m from bloke.

That's basically the entire fight, healers and dps stay inbetween console things, or that general area, and tank stands somewhere on raised platform bit, tank taunts on aggro dump. If you tank the bloke exactly where he starts the fight then his red circle wont even reach over the edge of the raised platform, giving plenty of room for dps and healers to kill dogs.

That's just the mechanics, as for making the fight as easy as possible I like to move to the kolto behind and to the left of the bloke so I can sort out my own health in tacticals.

Now for the pain in the *** bit. It is possible for dogs to randomly target the tank. Sometimes during the fight a dog will run at the tank and end up in blokes red circle. That's caused by bad RNG and there is f-all anybody can do to stop it, but any decent tank will just pop a dcd and carry on regardless, the dog will soon bugger off back to someone else. It is also possible for the dogs random aggro to prevent it peeling away from the tank at the very start of the fight.

I did at one point, after pulling the bloke and dragging him to my kolto, continue tanking the bloke and a dog for a fairly long time, the dog only went away on bosses second freeze. It is also I assume possible (but I have never seen it) for RNG to make both dogs attack the tank later on in the fight, again that's nobody's fault, just bad luck. The tank should just pop a dcd and ignore the dogs (unless its tactical with no healer then they might need to run to another kolto to cover the extra damage).

Basically theres no need to kite dogs, no need to move bloke (but its nice to have him in range of a kolto) and at the start of the fight mdps need to pay attention until the dogs are at a safe distance. With any competent group it will probably take 5 seconds to position bloke and dogs correctly and turn it into tank and spank.

It sounds from your story that the mdps got aggro from a dog and just stood where they were and expected the tank to move.

There are times that I move stuff to suit melee dps, for example the 2 droids on FE HM run I did, the op healer came and stood in blue circle with me, but the mara dps stayed outside and attacked and the sorc dps stood 20 odd meters away. I moved the boss closer to the middle of the blue circle so the mara had no choice but to stand in blue. Of course there was f-all I could do about sorc so just watched him die (and then do the classic moan about "tank not holding aggro" and "healer didn't heal properly."

most of the time when people die in fights its nothing to do with "bad tank" or "crap healer" it because they aren't following mechanics.

You can usually tell who's a good player and who isn't, in a Pug, on the 1st boss in Mando Raiders.

My story is pre-5.0 so, it's a little bit of an oldie. I was leveling a dps Shadow at the time, queue'd up Tactical Mando Raiders with 2 Sentinels and a 65 Commando, all dpses. We zone in, got through the first few sets of trash and got to the first boss. Before we pulled, I thought it'd be a good idea to ask if every knew the fight. Well, as I was typing that out, one of the Sentinels pulled a Leroy and off we went. We wiped, no problem, it was our first try so I typed in chat, "Please don't jump in until we are all ready." No response.

We went back, 2nd try. I had assumed that the 65 commando would help out with taking the healing nodes to keep the team up since he was the only rdps on our team as I main a Commando dps and that's what I usually do in that situation. We pulled again, we wiped but this time, I noticed that the green numbers were missing.

I typed in chat, "Where are the heals?"

Here comes the Commando, "Heal yourself!"

What?

I checked his gear, mix of blues and greens, looked okay but wasn't the best. I checked his achievements and low-and-behold! Zeroes all across the board. He didn't even have his Trooper achievements which told me that he used his free 60 token on a commando. He probably didn't know even know how to use his own class let alone the fight mechanics. I asked him if he could be more clear and he told me to use the nodes. Responded by saying that those nodes heal the entire group and since he was the only rdps in the group, it made sense if he was designated to be the one migrating from node to node to keep the team up. He disagree so, I decided that that 65 commando was a straight up lost cause.

Here's what I typed in chat: "Look, why don't you do yourself and everyone else a favor, and learn to play your class by LEVELING your character from 1-65 instead of using the free 60 token. And maybe you would learn a flashpoint mechanic or two in that process. Maybe then, perhaps, you would stop wasting yourself and everyone else's time because you decided to take a shortcut instead of going through the leveling process like everyone else."

Afterwards, I promptly put him on ignore and left the group. I may sound like an elitist and, maybe I am to a certain degree, but I have zero tolerance to players like that commando, players who are new to the game but aren't willing to accept advice from more experienced players. While I have been there and have gone through that learning process once upon a time, and I am willing to help so long as you are being receptive, I am also very down-to-earth when it comes to players wasting other players' precious game time.

Here's what I typed in chat: "Look, why don't you do yourself and everyone else a favor, and learn to play your class by LEVELING your character from 1-65 instead of using the free 60 token. And maybe you would learn a flashpoint mechanic or two in that process. Maybe then, perhaps, you would stop wasting yourself and everyone else's time because you decided to take a shortcut instead of going through the leveling process like everyone else."

Afterwards, I promptly put him on ignore and left the group. I may sound like an elitist and, maybe I am to a certain degree, but I have zero tolerance to players like that commando, players who are new to the game but aren't willing to accept advice from more experienced players. While I have been there and have gone through that learning process once upon a time, and I am willing to help so long as you are being receptive, I am also very down-to-earth when it comes to players wasting other players' precious game time.

I agree, 100%. I've been playing since beta (in fact I got the Galactic Alliance 5 Year Subscriber Reward) and I am always willing to help out any players who need it, but you have to be willing to accept help.

Nowhere in your explanation do you mention tanks running the guy in a big circle around the room, which is what this super-confident but strange tank did the last time I ran Mando Raiders.

This was tactical/veteran, three dps and this tank. He was sort of cute up until the first boss, because he was absolutely positive he was going to die in every single pull. But we never did, though he would get down to 10% health quite a bit, but no actual deaths. Then during the first boss, the tank at least knows his job is to keep the guy away from the dogs, but his strategy is to run him in a circle around the whole room, and he never deviated from that circle, even if it meant dragging the guy through one or both of the dogs.

The three of us down the dogs, and the tank doesn't stop. He keeps running him in the circle (and all three of us were melee). I stopped chasing and told him that red circle won't hurt you, please stop running. And he in effect said no, and continued on. So we chase a little more, and I asked him how this was helping us and he said "notice how I'm not taking any damage" :rolleyes: If I wanted to waste more time with this I could have said more, like how he didn't seem to notice we were all melee and this was taking way too long, but it was also going to take time to explain why he didn't need to do any of that so I just got back into the mad chase.

Well, the rest of the flashpoint wasn't bad, still no one ever died but plenty of times got really close. He was being a good tank during relatively "stationary" fights, but that first boss he just had some mistaken strategy to deal with it.

A little further weirdness in the same flashpoint...at least the tank asked before we got to the final boss how he was doing. I was still a little annoyed at him for not listening to me earlier, so I didn't say anything, but one of the other dps said he should never queue without a healer. :confused: Seemed rude, considering none of us died at all even without the healer. I guess he'd only be impressed if the tank never dropped below 75% without a healer or something :rak_02:

the tank definitely had at least one dog on him as well, being the first 10 seconds of the battle there wasn't much to be done, the dps soon got comfy in the middle of the arena. it just irks me that people decide to go and yell at everyone mid fight rather then just bare through it and adjust, if they're so good it shouldn't be a problem.

Its really quite a simple fight, with dps having guard/taunts, I mean I end up tanking the boss 3/4 of the time and that's on my healer (wish I had a taunt to get him back after stun), you just need to have a bit of awareness to whats going on.

hmm... that fight reminds me of ortuno in depths of manaan.

this makes sense, when I'm tank/healing him I tend to just kite him away from the general direction of the dogs, as most of the time dps run away from them. I've just given up telling people how to properly do things, just not worth the effort mid FP

I asked him if he could be more clear and he told me to use the nodes. Responded by saying that those nodes heal the entire group and since he was the only rdps in the group, it made sense if he was designated to be the one migrating from node to node to keep the team up. He disagree so, I decided that that 65 commando was a straight up lost cause.

How many times we have to do this?

First of all, person who clicks the kolto station gets biggest heal from it. This is why I try to run from kolto to kolto when I have to tank the boss which happens way too often (number of level 70s in non augmented gear is mind-boggling) Everyone gets HoT part but only the person who clicks it gets the initial burst which usually gets you from ~30% to full in less than second.

I don't even want to know how many times I've had to go and click second kolto station because HoT part of it just isn't enough especially in fights with a lot of incoming damage. This is very bad because now you have two of the 3 or 4 kolto station on cooldown. If I'm on stealth class I usually just stealth out and let someone else tank for awhile instead of going for second kolto just to survive which could lead to inexperienced player to get killed by boss because of that.

Edited by Halinalle

Almost every mob in game with an untauntable buff and seemingly "random" aggro uses a normal aggro table. They usually just reset that table every X seconds, so it seems they are random. Others, like Brontes final phase simply set the threat of her actual target to 0 through some attack so everyone gets hit sooner or later(except for when you vanish).

So how to tank mando raiders first boss: Pull the boss and don't use aoe attacks as long as you can hit dogs. Then you're fine.

How many times we have to do this?

First of all, person who clicks the kolto station gets biggest heal from it. This is why I try to run from kolto to kolto when I have to tank the boss which happens way too often (number of level 70s in non augmented gear is mind-boggling) Everyone gets HoT part but only the person who clicks it gets the initial burst which usually gets you from ~30% to full in less than second.

I don't even want to know how many times I've had to go and click second kolto station because HoT part of it just isn't enough especially in fights with a lot of incoming damage. This is very bad because now you have two of the 3 or 4 kolto station on cooldown. If I'm on stealth class I usually just stealth out and let someone else tank for awhile instead of going for second kolto just to survive which could lead to inexperienced player to get killed by boss because of that.

You've completely missed the point! It's not about who's getting healed more in a group, it's about keeping the whole group alive during a boss fight by managing your kolto node usage. Something that the commando, apparently, found it quite hard to understand. It doesn't matter who is getting healed more so long as people are getting healed and getting them regularly.

Edited by Pzhang
Proof-reading

as always, nearly every run could get a mention but two recently have stuck out..

depths of manaan.. get zoned into an in progress run, and as expected they're at ortuno. its a 4 dps group - sorc op merc and myself the PT, so I assume my usual position as meat shield and tell group to watch koltos for me. that didn't happen, so I die running trying to get to a kolto on time. operative throws me a rez, but this time I pay a little bit more attention to the heals I'm receiving. none. no koltos, no off heals. so naturally I melt and we wipe.

the merc then gets on my back calling me an idiot and then leaves (I tend to tank him as if I'm in tank gear, keeping him in one spot as to mitigate lighting puddles area dmg). I get a message from this merc again reminding me of just how stupid I am. I decide to respond to them mentioning that no koltos were clicked, and no one was bothering to off heal me, and not even a tank would have stayed up in those conditions, and that if even a smidge of awareness was on show by the 3 dps with healing capabilities that we would have been fine. I hit send and what do you know, they ignored me. lol. so I jump on to an alt and send them a more blunt, more passive aggressive message and leave it at that.

the other was the foundry, we zone in and its a 40 something merc healer, a 15 mara, a 50ish pt dps and my 70 pt dps. the mara apologises for the low level, in hindsight I should have realised what that really meant.

on our way to the first boss the mara asks if we're doing bonus, and i say no (the foundry is long enough as is). we get to the first boss, the mara doesn't move from under the droid and melts, and the other pt is down to 3% by the time he gets out. we down him, and my 3 group members all chat in awe of what just happened and how quick the mara melted. at this point I think to check achievements, and what do you know, none of them have ran the foundry, yet no one felt the need to mention it.

we get to HK, and I stay silent about mechs, because as far as I know everyone knows the mechanics. right on que, both the PT and mara don't get out of the core in time and instadeath. at this point, not wanting to waste my own time I speak up and tell them mechs and the fight goes well.

once we get to the planet surface, I notice that ive left the group behind and theyre in combat, I don't bother going back because the weak slugs burn easy. the combat icon disappears and I expect the run to continue. nope. the 3 newbies are doing the bonus! the healer asks me *** I'm doing...so again, to avoid wasting time and repair costs I run back and burn the boss. I ask why they did the boss after I said id rather not, and the healer said he didn't see that... interesting...

rest of the way went about as smoothly as I could have hoped for, dps jump in on the mini boss as I'm asking if they wanted it... I explain revan mechs and the pt still manages to die on aoes. we clear boss and get through the cutscenes, as I'm zoning out I mention that it really goes a long way to speak up and say if youre new, "less wipes less annoying" (because at this point I was annoyed). its not that hard to speak up, yet no one ever does... I'm starting to think I should only pug on my healers

as always, nearly every run could get a mention but two recently have stuck out..

depths of manaan.. get zoned into an in progress run, and as expected they're at ortuno. its a 4 dps group - sorc op merc and myself the PT, so I assume my usual position as meat shield and tell group to watch koltos for me. that didn't happen, so I die running trying to get to a kolto on time. operative throws me a rez, but this time I pay a little bit more attention to the heals I'm receiving. none. no koltos, no off heals. so naturally I melt and we wipe.

the merc then gets on my back calling me an idiot and then leaves (I tend to tank him as if I'm in tank gear, keeping him in one spot as to mitigate lighting puddles area dmg). I get a message from this merc again reminding me of just how stupid I am. I decide to respond to them mentioning that no koltos were clicked, and no one was bothering to off heal me, and not even a tank would have stayed up in those conditions, and that if even a smidge of awareness was on show by the 3 dps with healing capabilities that we would have been fine. I hit send and what do you know, they ignored me. lol. so I jump on to an alt and send them a more blunt, more passive aggressive message and leave it at that.

You don't tank Ortuno in one spot...If you stand in a puddle that he puts down, and have aggro on him, he will stun you and put a damage-taken-increased debuff on you, hence why you probably melted. Best way to tank him (even on a DPS), is to backpedal out of the puddle he throws down, so as not to get stunned/melted. Essentially, you kite him. As for adds, the other DPS should be taking care of those, but if you somehow get aggro on them they tend to put a slow on you, which prevents you from getting out of the puddles in time. This is a perfect time to pop HO on a PT, or w/e other speed-increasing moves you might have on another class. I've "tanked" this fight many times on my DPS toons and survived easily, just by playing the mechanics of the fight.

Another note, by kiting him this allows you to effectively make your way to a kolto station. This means you don't have to rely on other's in the group that are tunneling.

Edited by Mokuyobi

once we get to the planet surface, I notice that ive left the group behind and theyre in combat, I don't bother going back because the weak slugs burn easy. the combat icon disappears and I expect the run to continue. nope. the 3 newbies are doing the bonus! the healer asks me *** I'm doing...so again, to avoid wasting time and repair costs I run back and burn the boss. I ask why they did the boss after I said id rather not, and the healer said he didn't see that... interesting...

So, you're telling us, that you've got all the objectives to summon the bonus boss, and you still speed trough it, instead of spare a minute and help the lowbies to get some extra XP? That's quite a selfish act, mate.

at this point I think to check achievements, and what do you know, none of them have ran the foundry. .... /We get to HK, and I stay silent about mechs,

So, you knew that they don't know the mechanics, but you decide to teach them a lesson and wipe the whole group, including yourself and your precious time. Well done, you've played it like a true jerk.

And if they were speak up at the start, that they are all new, you will be less annoyed? I don't think so. But guess what, some people love the experience of content, not just run from A to Z.

I won't mention about the Manaan run, cuz Mokuyobi explain how to "tank" Ortuno, but from that story, it seems that you are not even that good to judge other people's mistakes.

Edited by bgstranger

You don't tank Ortuno in one spot...If you stand in a puddle that he puts down, and have aggro on him, he will stun you and put a damage-taken-increased debuff on you, hence why you probably melted. Best way to tank him (even on a DPS), is to backpedal out of the puddle he throws down, so as not to get stunned/melted. Essentially, you kite him. As for adds, the other DPS should be taking care of those, but if you somehow get aggro on them they tend to put a slow on you, which prevents you from getting out of the puddles in time. This is a perfect time to pop HO on a PT, or w/e other speed-increasing moves you might have on another class. I've "tanked" this fight many times on my DPS toons and survived easily, just by playing the mechanics of the fight.

Another note, by kiting him this allows you to effectively make your way to a kolto station. This means you don't have to rely on other's in the group that are tunneling.

I have tanked this fight by keeping his puddles in the one area and using my defensives to keep myself up while others ran kolto station and handled adds with a baby healer in group, zero wipes. It's not a bad strategy to keep him in one area as long as you can get out of the area before Ortuno goes through with Flow. It made the fight super easy as compared to having the puddles all over the room, this is as an Immortal Juggernaut maintaining aggro the entire time. I wouldn't pull that on a DPS but it was a perfectly viable strategy that my group loved me for. Though, wouldn't recommend it as a DPS and if you don't have backup, obviously you need to run and maintain aggro since otherwise you'll go down but this fight has so many wipes when tanks run all over the room from station to station.

That said, I'm not a fan of the attitude of this retelling. If you don't want to carry, keep a rule- I refuse to do FPs with more than one person below level 30 when I'm doing the daily and haven't crossed out the other FPs that are beyond low level capacity and I go with the flow, if the rest of the group want to do bonuses, unless it's downright stupid as in continual wipes because they keep frelling the mechanics. Low levels mean they are using the FPs to level and you accepted that. I always check when there is someone that low level that they know the mechanics and HK's fight easily leads to instant wipes. It's easier to explain than rant later.

Also, don't tank if you aren't getting backup...and watch your health. If you are in a team where you're drawing aggro and getting zero heals- go for kolto stations. I had one healer go full on twit in Blood Hunt's final fight on my main (DPS), berating me for not dying to do that extra bit of damage because she was barely healing me, actually kept getting aggro (wouldn't have minded if she clicked a bloody station instead of expecting the DPS to wipe over keeping themselves up) whereas another night's run had a healer keeping us up and I could DoT and burst without worrying I was about to eat floor as well as keep DPS high enough to draw aggro over healer enough of the time.

Edited by AllisonLightning

You've completely missed the point! It's not about who's getting healed more in a group, it's about keeping the whole group alive during a boss fight by managing your kolto node usage. Something that the commando, apparently, found it quite hard to understand. It doesn't matter who is getting healed more so long as people are getting healed and getting them regularly.

Don't whine then if I have to stealth out and boss starts hitting you. Don't worry I will regain #1 spot on aggro table in few seconds anyway. At least that's how it goes in pugs. Sad part? I don't use adrenals and in most cases I don't even use stim.

So, you're telling us, that you've got all the objectives to summon the bonus boss, and you still speed trough it, instead of spare a minute and help the lowbies to get some extra XP? That's quite a selfish act, mate.

When I'm on low level character I usually just want flashpoint done fast. I don't even care about the gear that doesn't even drop that often for low levels. Even if gear drops from bosses it's mostly useless (only implants and earpieces are useful drops in flashpoints).

On lvl70: It's the other way around. Bonus always if it doesn't slow down the progress too much. All bonuses that don't lead to bonus boss will be skipped. In most cases everyone agrees to do bonus boss anyway and skip everything else. Only rarely I get lvl70 in group who says skip everything.

Real problem are the lvl70s who go out and hunt down every single elite in the instance just for that extra 2 CXP.

Edited by Halinalle

Don't whine then if I have to stealth out and boss starts hitting you. Don't worry I will regain #1 spot on aggro table in few seconds anyway. At least that's how it goes in pugs. Sad part? I don't use adrenals and in most cases I don't even use stim.

When I'm on low level character I usually just want flashpoint done fast. I don't even care about the gear that doesn't even drop that often for low levels. Even if gear drops from bosses it's mostly useless (only implants and earpieces are useful drops in flashpoints).

On lvl70: It's the other way around. Bonus always if it doesn't slow down the progress too much. All bonuses that don't lead to bonus boss will be skipped. In most cases everyone agrees to do bonus boss anyway and skip everything else. Only rarely I get lvl70 in group who says skip everything.

Real problem are the lvl70s who go out and hunt down every single elite in the instance just for that extra 2 CXP.

No offense but it seems to me that you were the problem here, not them. Aside from your arrogant attitude towards them, expecting them to skip content just because you wanted them.

No offense but it seems to me that you were the problem here, not them. Aside from your arrogant attitude towards them, expecting them to skip content just because you wanted them.

Is it really worth it to waste 1-3 minutes just to get 2-6 CXP from random enemies that usually are skipped by 99% of groups? Hammer Station for example, short cut part where you can easily skip the elite. Even when you are cr 30+ (~3000 CXP per level)?

Edited by Halinalle

I've seen so many different FPs, I don't expect anything anymore.

I just adapt.

I used to be like that, just following the herd. Lately I've been finding myself in the role of group leader more and more, somehow. Usually it's one of two things. Either I'm trying the shortcuts and having to double back when someone aggro's (this also happens when I stealh/stun and they aggro anyway) or we're all standing around at the boss waiting for someone to initiate and I have to do it. That was fun yesterday when I switched from Serenity to Infiltration and found myself struggling to survive.

Yesterday was my second time doing Directive 7 and I still haven't seen the cutscenes because as a courtesy I usually spacebar automatically now.

Don't whine then if I have to stealth out and boss starts hitting you. Don't worry I will regain #1 spot on aggro table in few seconds anyway. At least that's how it goes in pugs. Sad part? I don't use adrenals and in most cases I don't even use stim.[\QUOTE]

What does this have to do with your earlier arguments over kolto usage? What does this have to do with holding aggro? What are you even talking about? It sounds like you're spewing stuff out just for the sake of spewing stuff out.

CXP means everything in the endgame because the more CXP you get, the better chance you have at getting endgame gear which sets you up for harder endgame content. The reason why lvl70s, now, want to take out every gold and elite available in an instance is because they want to get as much CXP as possible in that one instance thereby giving themselves a better chance at getting gear.