why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

skiibyrd

As long as they don't put any critical PvE content (story, companion quests, etc) in PvP areas, I don't really see the problem. I'm very much a PvE player and only dabble in casual PvP when I feel a bit bored and I don't have any problem with this. I probably won't see all PvE content on Ilum, but I can accept that as it's not like there's a big lack of PvE content elsewhere.

Actually, I even think it's a good way to attract people who enjoy both PvE and PvP equally. As long as they don't change the entire levelling process this way, it doesn't really harm anyone besides missing a tiny part of the (non-critical) PvE content compared to the whole game.

So no, this PvE-centric player is not freaking out. :D

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So don't do it then. Problem solved. 1.7 is an obvious attempt to encourage open world pvp. If you are a PVE'er you don't own the rights to every PVE item in the game.

This right here. Just because there's a quest chain that involves NPc's doesn't mean it's meant for PVE only people. If you don't like PVP, then avoid the western part of Ilum. You're ALREADY avoiding it now.

How is Illum a strictly PvP planet? It has a section dedicated to PvP, but so do other planets. We aren't saying they are strictly PvP planets. Last time I checked all of those planets also had PvE content thus none of them are strictly PvP nor PvE. Also, where is the information that outlines exactly what's in the world event? From what I've seen from the updates, nothing has been given on the exact composition of this new world event. So basically, everyone is talking like they know something when they know nothing. Hooray ignorance!

Sometimes a company will release something and it wont be catering towards you, doesnt mean the company is wrong, bad, have no idea what they are doing because you do not like it.

Its like this every update, the group that is not catered too get all outraged over the fact they focused on something different,

With that said some of the argument here feels like the people who would yell and scream at the TV for "showing" a program they didnt like on the channel they are currently watching after reading it would be on at that time while refusing to change the channel with the remote in their hand.

Right so all the carebears (like me) then skip the content. How does that help exactly? It just reduces the amount of people who will do the content for arbarity reasons (like requiring HM and PvP for HK-51 content most likely to be used by people interested in neither of those things).

There is people who don't take part in flashpoints, operations and heroics because they can't stand them. Yet you don't see them freaking out because HK requires you to do flashpoints.

Right so all the carebears (like me) then skip the content. How does that help exactly? It just reduces the amount of people who will do the content for arbarity reasons (like requiring HM and PvP for HK-51 content most likely to be used by people interested in neither of those things).

If you refuse to expose yourself to PvP, yes...skip it. If I refuse to do FP's or Ops, should I be entitled to Dreadguard gear? Of course not...you need to make a choice. If your choice is to not expose yourself to the possibility of PvP, don't expect to be rewarded the same as those who do.

PvE quests are not the exclusive domain of strictly pure PvEers. There are MANY reasons they enhance PvP - namely down time and imbalances.

There is people who don't take part in flashpoints, operations and heroics because they can't stand them. Yet you don't see them freaking out because HK requires you to do flashpoints.

Oh you did, you really really did just the threads got buried under complaints about the CM and of course these days its old news.

If you refuse to expose yourself to PvP, yes...skip it. If I refuse to do FP's or Ops, should I be entitled to Dreadguard gear? Of course not...you need to make a choice. If your choice is to not expose yourself to the possibility of PvP, don't expect to be rewarded the same as those who do.

PvE quests are not the exclusive domain of strictly pure PvEers. There are MANY reasons they enhance PvP - namely down time and imbalances.

Why is the PVE only crowd the most selfish? YOu don't see pure PVPers griping about the flashpoints in HK.

Oh you did, you really really did just the threads got buried under complaints about the CM and of course these days its old news.

It happened no where near to the extent as now. Not even close. If it had, it would never have been buried under other threads.

Edited by oslek

This ^

Whilst I love PvP i don't think any player should be forced todo something they don't like.

No one is forcing you to do anything, you choose to enter a zone that gives you a warning that it will flag you. It's not like people are coming into your operation and wiping you, you voluntarily entered a flagged zone. If you want the rewards then do it, if not skip it.

Edited by Domatron

No one is forcing you to do anything, you choose to enter a zone that gives you a warning that it will flag you. It's not like people are coming into your operation and wiping you, you voluntarily entered a flagged zone. If you want the rewards then do it, if not skip it.

And then they have to wait for another Content thing to do that's new and exciting for 3 months at minimum (makeb). That's the main gripe of the majority of people in this thread. I don't see how you're failing to grasp that.

I don't have a problem with the thing being in the zone because I enjoy PVP, but I do see why a lot of people are pissed that new content is forcing Open World pvp.

Granted: No one knows exactly how much of this will be in actual open world areas and not instanced areas on the western shelf. The developers during the live Q/A did, after all, say they were drastically changing the shelf. Until the thing hits the PTS, no one will really know and PVE'ers will still continue to rage about having to PVP for new content.

And then they have to wait for another Content thing to do that's new and exciting for 3 months at minimum (makeb). That's the main gripe of the majority of people in this thread. I don't see how you're failing to grasp that.

I don't have a problem with the thing being in the zone because I enjoy PVP, but I do see why a lot of people are pissed that new content is forcing Open World pvp.

Granted: No one knows exactly how much of this will be in actual open world areas and not instanced areas on the western shelf. The developers during the live Q/A did, after all, say they were drastically changing the shelf. Until the thing hits the PTS, no one will really know and PVE'ers will still continue to rage about having to PVP for new content.

I wanted HK and I was forced to do FPs which I loathe, I wanted the reward so I sucked it up and did it. If people want this reward they will have to suck it up and do it. I don't see how you're failing to grasp that.

I wanted HK and I was forced to do FPs which I loathe, I wanted the reward so I sucked it up and did it. If people want this reward they will have to suck it up and do it. I don't see how you're failing to grasp that.

They're being selfish. They're like the kid in the playground who cries because someone else got a fancy new toy that every else wants to play with.

Las time I did anything but FP's out at Ilum was back when you had two zergs one republic, one empire kill trading to "farm" PvP valor. Switching towers to boost Valor gains then letting the enemy get them back to do the same before they handed the towers back over to your side etc. And if you actually tried to do any "real" pvp you got zerged by the valor farmers for ruining their exploit. So yea...Ilum and PvP has a very bad reputation for me and others when it was abused so heavily early on. New event on Ilum will turn into the old Ilum as soon as people figure out how to abuse it for valor gain just like before.

forcing people to do pvp in order to do pve content on a pve server is what the problem is. DUH!!!

This argument comes op EVERYTIME with every world event, even the HK Event people were QQ'ing that they wouldn't be able to get their piece for HK because they would be ganked endlessly, but guess what that didn't happen, all these people who QQ got their HK parts with little to no trouble....

Sorry but after several events now, the whole "Sky is Falling" routine by some of these QQ'ers have become old and stale as their predictions never come true.

Edited by Monoth

First, I just want to say that I'm not freaking out about Ilum yet, because there really isn't enough detailed information about the upcoming changes. Just enjoying the game in the meantime.

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe.

My 50s don't spend the majority of the time on fleet. I might wait around there some right after the weeklys reset to see if anyone's running HM ops (usually while crafting items to sell on the GTN). Otherwise, I run around on the planets doing dailies while in groupfinder.

If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime.

And you wouldn't be getting my subscription. I'm a PvEer. Not interested in your particular idea of "fun".

<snip> ... PVPers have to really start thinking with there heads and not with there epeen. The majority of players in this game have no interest what so ever in PVP. The majority rules when it comes to MMO companies cause they dont care if they lose the minority cause there spots can always be filled with more of the majority.

Ok, so you say that the majority of players has no interest in PVP whatsoever.

But I could inspect a bunch of random people on a PVE server and almost everyone will have valor.

Funny, ain't it? Please explain this to me.

This argument comes op EVERYTIME with every world event, even the HK Event people were QQ'ing that they wouldn't be able to get their piece for HK because they would be ganked endlessly, but guess what that didn't happen, all these people who QQ got their HK parts with little to no trouble....

Sorry but after several events now, the whole "Sky is Falling" routine by some of these QQ'ers have become old and stale as their predictions never come true.

It got old with me many games ago. MMos really do bring out the "Me" crowd. Those are the players who think all content should be geared to them and everyone else who doesn't play like they do to either conform or leave. They also tend to think they speak for the majority without any facts to back up the claim.

Ok, so you say that the majority of players has no interest in PVP whatsoever.

But I could inspect a bunch of random people on a PVE server and almost everyone will have valor.

Funny, ain't it? Please explain this to me.

It's even more funny to me based on the fact I wait MUCH longer for PVE ques than I do PVP. If PVE is SO much more popular than PVP, shouldn't PUGS be popping a heck of lot quicker for FPs than Warzones?

Edited by oslek

It's even more funny to me based on the fact I wait MUCH longer for PVE ques than I do PVP. If PVE is SO much more popular than PVP, shouldn't PUGS be popping a heck of lot quicker for FPs than Warzones?

No, because PVE requires specific roles in specific ratios, whereas PVP picks whoever's next in line.

I don't have anything really to add about 1.7, not until I see some details about it.

My guess there will be maybe a couple parts that will be in the PvP area, giving people the option to do them or not.

I will add my 2 cents about open world PvP, that it almost never works. Sure you will have brief moments of balanced open world PvP, but on the whole it will be nothing more then a gank fest. I was there for the kill farming on Ilum back in the day, part of the reasons that even worked was due to the fact you had 50 Imps, and 5 pubs. And instead of only getting 1 kill, and the Pubs never returning because of the huge imbalance. You had friendly kill farming for the dailies and valor.

The only people that enjoyed ilum or any open world pvp in any game tend to be stealthers.

And if there truly was any great demand or outcry for world PvP, those zones would already be packed with PvP'ers. I mean lets be honest now, they have been in game from day 1.

When people claim they want open world PvP, what they truly want is the option to gank PvE players as they do there dailies, quest or farm mats.

The General view is that they will force you to PVP in western shelf to complete the new event. New event means new gear and pets and whatever. so PVE people are not really excited if the new event is tied to forcing you to have to PVP. it makes perfect sense to be a little worried.

Most people I play with are not looking forward to being forced to get the newest event rewards and be part of BW attempt to revive world PVP on illum. I have been toying with the idea of F2P myself for other reasons but illum should make my choice for me once it lands.