why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

skiibyrd

I don't have anything really to add about 1.7, not until I see some details about it.

My guess there will be maybe a couple parts that will be in the PvP area, giving people the option to do them or not.

I will add my 2 cents about open world PvP, that it almost never works. Sure you will have brief moments of balanced open world PvP, but on the whole it will be nothing more then a gank fest. I was there for the kill farming on Ilum back in the day, part of the reasons that even worked was due to the fact you had 50 Imps, and 5 pubs. And instead of only getting 1 kill, and the Pubs never returning because of the huge imbalance. You had friendly kill farming for the dailies and valor.

The only people that enjoyed ilum or any open world pvp in any game tend to be stealthers.

And if there truly was any great demand or outcry for world PvP, those zones would already be packed with PvP'ers. I mean lets be honest now, they have been in game from day 1.

When people claim they want open world PvP, what they truly want is the option to gank PvE players as they do there dailies, quest or farm mats.

Whenever I have wpvp on my server it is usually one sided, but organization and tactics win the day for us. The fights aren't usually in the pvp areas. Usually it is on tat and starts because an imp/pub gank a lowbie from the other faction to bring out the 50's or just be asses. 50's from both sides show up and fight all over tat (mostly in dune sea) We wpvp for the joy of fighting each other in large groups, the fights are usually long and fun. We even have events based around them with OUR OWN player made objectives since BW isn't creative enough to make them for us. Such as take and hold this hill on hoth, orrrr defend this base here and also protect this vip from death at this separate location.

Soo to say that we only want wpvp to gank PVE players... is a gross generalization. That may be true on your server (hopefully not) but definitely not on mine.

Also we pvpers would love some objective based pvp, give us a reason to pvp outside of the repetitive wz's.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This argument comes op EVERYTIME with every world event, even the HK Event people were QQ'ing that they wouldn't be able to get their piece for HK because they would be ganked endlessly, but guess what that didn't happen, all these people who QQ got their HK parts with little to no trouble....

Plenty of people got ganked over and over and over on The Red Eclipse shortly after Section X became available.

The only way to get to the damn thing was by switching to another instance/phase and hoping there weren't more trolls there.

I spend most of my time playing on a PvE server. I do like PvP ~ but only when I'm in the mood for it. Before server transfers I was on a PvP server.

As for the Ilum event being a PvP event? I don't think it's unfair to make 1 out of 3 events require some PvP. In fact, I think it's pretty unfair that there wasn't really any PvP gear available in the last 2 events. And so.. No... I don't understand why people are freaking out about a little PvP.

You knew fine well the game was mostly about PvE when you bought it, which is the difference. Also I don't think you have to kill a single mob unless you want to, so I don't see your point.

I think that was the intent, but I see a lot of people pvping on harbinger when they don't run raids. Swtor pvp is actually pretty popular. I think that is why swtor developers are focusing more on pvp than what they did in the past. Although it does has it's problems, but I think it's so far has been the best pvp experience I had in mmorpg in terms of having an even playing field, not too grindy to get gear, and fun overall.

Edited by Knockerz

I wanted HK and I was forced to do FPs which I loathe, I wanted the reward so I sucked it up and did it. If people want this reward they will have to suck it up and do it. I don't see how you're failing to grasp that.

The fact is that MMORPGs are mostly PvE games with some PvP on top of it. Your whole surrounding is PvE, ride on Ilum through a pack of lurkers and they'll jump on you with no check if you're in for PvP or not. So it is expected that some PvE is going to be required.

And that indeed you will have to "suck it up". Like it's a shame to PvE in this kind of game... I honestly never understood people who were in MMORPGs only for PvP. That's what games like BF or COD are made for.

Edited by demotivator

Whenever I have wpvp on my server it is usually one sided, but organization and tactics win the day for us. The fights aren't usually in the pvp areas. Usually it is on tat and starts because an imp/pub gank a lowbie from the other faction to bring out the 50's or just be asses. 50's from both sides show up and fight all over tat (mostly in dune sea) We wpvp for the joy of fighting each other in large groups, the fights are usually long and fun. We even have events based around them with OUR OWN player made objectives since BW isn't creative enough to make them for us. Such as take and hold this hill on hoth, orrrr defend this base here and also protect this vip from death at this separate location.

Soo to say that we only want wpvp to gank PVE players... is a gross generalization. That may be true on your server (hopefully not) but definitely not on mine.

Also we pvpers would love some objective based pvp, give us a reason to pvp outside of the repetitive wz's.

That's a good idea. Perhaps BW should have nodes or locations where they become active throughout the day and both factions have to contest each other to hold them. Rewards for winning will be some thing like pvp commendations and maybe a little pve commendations to encourage pve players to occasionally come. Now to have the massive mess that ilum was with too many people in one spot have enough nodes so that your force to disperse players. Only problem is if one faction is so much large in terms of population over the other, then it won't really work. A cross server like instance of planet could work where you carefully balance the population of players.

Edited by Knockerz

I wanted HK and I was forced to do FPs which I loathe, I wanted the reward so I sucked it up and did it. If people want this reward they will have to suck it up and do it. I don't see how you're failing to grasp that.

This is funny. You're comparing doing a flashpoint which takes all of an hour to do both of them for the HK quest against an entire content patch dedicating full PVE elements into a PVP area? Which also will last for a few weeks... every single day forcing PVE'ers to be flagged // ganked... Every single day.

Get a clue man. Past events only had an extremely small portion of things being stuck in a PVP environment :: This is the entire content patch.

You wanted a PvE reward, so you had to do PvE content to get it. People are freaking out over the possibility of wanting a PvE reward and having to do PvP to get it. How are you failing to grasp that?

You wanted a PvE reward, so you had to do PvE content to get it. People are freaking out over the possibility of wanting a PvE reward and having to do PvP to get it. How are you failing to grasp that?

He's actually from Bizzaro world?

I dunno.

Moreoever, can you imagine the hissy fits on PvE servers when 1.7 hits?

Serioiusly, do people not visit and quest on Ilum already... a planet where there already is PvP area's, and a place you can be steamrolled if your not careful? I would also like to point out, to those with concern, that Ilum had a specific and DEDICATED place for PvP area last time, it was not the whole planet, and it seems like a lot of people with concern are just freaking out for no reason.

*Get some recruit gear

*Prepare yourself for PvP (and if your playing on a PvP server, then please DO NOT complain about open world PvP, its what you chose to do)

*Practice, and play some PvP matches... it isnt brain science

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe. If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

Those of us who have been here since the beginning, and experienced Ilum and its open would PvP would probably agree that the issue of it being released is NOT you being attacked, its going to be if the engine can support the large scale battles, and not play at only .5 framerate, then crash your game.

THIS^^ you would need a min of 300 people for Battle of Ilum to even work... but with this engine it just wont work until Bioware revamps it or something. Also it would be great if there were fleet battles or something close to it, but again the servers would crash -___-

The pvp crowd is making this argument to point out the fact that we have to continually pve in this game to earn optional rewards even though that isn't our preferred playstyle. We do so without complaint, even when we had to pve to earn our pvp rewards (remember Ilum missile clicking or flip trading control points?).

One event comes out that requires pvp for an optional reward and the pve crowd is up in arms. Seems to be the case that whenever any minority gets a nod in our society the majority cries out how unfair it is (gay marriage, civil rights?).

And yes, I'm engaging in hyperbole b/c the whole argument put forward by the pve crowd is RIDICULOUS and deserves to be mocked.

How can you not grasp that?

Serioiusly, do people not visit and quest on Ilum already... a planet where there already is PvP area's, and a place you can be steamrolled if your not careful? I would also like to point out, to those with concern, that Ilum had a specific and DEDICATED place for PvP area last time, it was not the whole planet, and it seems like a lot of people with concern are just freaking out for no reason.

*Get some recruit gear

*Prepare yourself for PvP (and if your playing on a PvP server, then please DO NOT complain about open world PvP, its what you chose to do)

*Practice, and play some PvP matches... it isnt brain science

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe. If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

Those of us who have been here since the beginning, and experienced Ilum and its open would PvP would probably agree that the issue of it being released is NOT you being attacked, its going to be if the engine can support the large scale battles, and not play at only .5 framerate, then crash your game.

Yr right, its not brain science, it's rocket surgery....

The pvp crowd is making this argument to point out the fact that we have to continually pve in this game to earn optional rewards even though that isn't our preferred playstyle. We do so without complaint, even when we had to pve to earn our pvp rewards (remember Ilum missile clicking or flip trading control points?).

If I had to continually PvP in this game to earn PvE rewards, I'd stop playing. If you continually paid money to engage in an activity you didn't enjoy, kept doing so, and didn't raise any complaints about it, the fault is yours, plain and simple.

Simple why do i as a PVE player have to do PVP stuff on a PVE RP server, i dont see the point of it, i dont wish to be part of it and that is why i went on a PVE server so i dont have to pvp.

I have also played so many mmo that for some reason the Dev have to listen to the pvp players and end up ruining the game( SWG) PVP should be on a pvp server simple as that.

SO CAN WE HAVE A PVP SERVER AND LET ALL THE PVP PLAYERS GO TO THAT SERVER AND LET ALL THE PVE PLAYER PLAY ON THERE SERVER

Thank you Rant over

Simple why do i as a PVE player have to do PVP stuff on a PVE RP server, i dont see the point of it, i dont wish to be part of it and that is why i went on a PVE server so i dont have to pvp.

I have also played so many mmo that for some reason the Dev have to listen to the pvp players and end up ruining the game( SWG) PVP should be on a pvp server simple as that.

SO CAN WE HAVE A PVP SERVER AND LET ALL THE PVP PLAYERS GO TO THAT SERVER AND LET ALL THE PVE PLAYER PLAY ON THERE SERVER

Thank you Rant over

If you don't want to PvP, then pass out on the event, simple as that. I know that's what I did with the Plague event.

I wonder what the response would be if they changed WarZones so that you could only do Voidstar (1/4 WZs) via clearing 2/5 SM TFB. That would be fair wouldn't it? I mean there's 4 PvE reputation grinds so making it so Voidstar could only be accessed if you were locked out of 2/5 SM TFB (thus forcing you to do it every Tuesday) would be completely fair. I'm sure the PvPers would love this idea;) Edited by AshlaBoga

I wonder what the response would be if they changed WarZones so that you could only do Voidstar (1/4 WZs) via clearing 2/5 SM TFB. That would be fair wouldn't it? I mean there's 4 PvE reputation grinds so making it so Voidstar could only be accessed if you were locked out of 2/5 SM TFB (thus forcing you to do it every Tuesday) would be completely fair. I'm sure the PvPers would love this idea;)

Except there is no such mechanic in... you can do your scripted fights without any need to pvp. Pvp'ers can do their wz's world pvp without pve. Don't like it? Don't do it. There have event's "forcing" pvpers to do pve already, shoe is on the other foot it seems.

Thank you Rant over

And what of those players that enjoy both?

Thank you Rant over

What a load of bull. SWG was ruined by the PVE only crowd with their constant whining over forced PVP. Thanks to those players, the jedi profession , which was suppose to be rare and hard to get,was watered down and other professions were treated to constant nerfs and rerolls, all because the PVE only crowd wanted to be a jedi that could never lose. All this lead to the NGE, jedi becoming a starter profession and the mass exodus of players. Don't even try to hang that game's failures on the PVP crowd because I was there and remember it well.

Edited by oslek

I don't like pvp and I don't like grouping,...I like to solo mmo's and do pve content and there are MILLIONS of people like me who feel same way. Forcing me to pvp to get pve gear is DUMB...and I wish I knew the CEO's name of Bioware because I would write a letter to him / her to fire the Dev Supervisor who authorized this

There are employees at Bioware who are pvp 'ers and they piss on the pve crowd any chance they get. Any kind of pvp should be OPTIONAL and last I checked ,..I chose a server that was for guess what,..here it comes...PvE

Well from what i read all server will become PvP servers?

I actually play on Red Eclipse and i dont want to be FORCED to PvP only to see the new content ...

Reason: there are players who have characters that could One-Hit even my lvl 50 characters because they are overgeared... so only the already overgeared players would get the quest stuff...Overgeared Players / Guilds would Rule the entire server then....

if this is so... many peopel will just avoid Illum and get mad... because noone likes to be forced to anything in order to just see the new content... and not everyone is a hardcore pvper....

this is why i dont join PvP servers... i mean where is the point when i start leveling and get killed by lvl50 overgeared players? how can i gear myself up or reach levels when a server is dominated by players who has started playing earlier than me?

sure i can deal with the devotion and under-order myself to a guild.. but thats again being forced to do things...

as i experienced in almost all mmos... PvP works only fair when everyone start at zero at the begin of a fight... like in shooters....or League of Legend but .. when i played MMOrpgs it was all about the overgeared players.. newbies where just cannonfodder.

If SWTOR goes in this direction even on The Red Eclipse ( PvE ) i sadly must avoid the those areas...atleast until im overgeared..lol

Edited by Prysha

Don't understand the outcry myself, yes PvP might be forced unto PvE players now, but it's not like PvE is never forced upon PvP players, people shouldn't hate on the developers trying to get people to experience both parts of the game

This is the single largest problem with having software developers running a game. They tend to think that they can manipulate people the way they can manipulate code. It can't be done. You cannot force people to play anything they do not want to play. This has been tried and failed way back in UO, which set the standard that we still enjoy today of PvP only by choice.

PvP is not at all anything like PvE. It is not fair fights engaged in by equal competitors. It's a mass of ganking and harassment and will be seen as such by those that enjoy PvE and just want to get their quests done. It will be even worse because two different sets of gear are required and PvE players will be getting annihilated by well geared PvPers waiting, fully prepared, in ambush.

I enjoy Warzones, but if they did that to my PvE time I would find another game that allowed me to PvE as I desire. Heck, I may do it still as I do not want some 12 year old wired on cheetos and coke, or some overgrown kid living vicariously through his character bothering me while I'm trying to quest. When I feel like PvPing, I will do so.

If they try this, it will fail hard and undo everything they have attempted to do in keeping this game alive. It would truly be the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas. Last straw for me and many.