why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

skiibyrd

Don't understand the outcry myself, yes PvP might be forced unto PvE players now, but it's not like PvE is never forced upon PvP players, people shouldn't hate on the developers trying to get people to experience both parts of the game

ok so why then do pvp players not play on pvp servers? The reason no cahones they want to prey on the ones that cant pvp well to stroke their ego cause they cant make it in the real thing!

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you even play the game? Recruit gear is free. Also Ilum is a PVP planet so I guarantee this will contain PVP. If you don't like it don't participate.

And your Majority/Minority comment is completely wrong. They cater to the PVE crowd a majority of the time. What is wrong with 1 PVP event on the PVP planet?

PVP planet? What daily in Ilum is in the PVP area?

second the event is not a PVP event but is put in a contested area which means PVP

third PVP events should happen im not against them but they should be in PVP areas and benefit people that PVP.

Likewise PVE or legacy that has PVE benefits should not be in PVP areas so you that are geared for PVP can have free kills

forcing people to do pvp in order to do pve content on a pve server is what the problem is. DUH!!!

Its more like a PvE element added to a PvP area, to entice PvP to happen.... Its not really directed at PvErs from what I gather.

So I don't see the issue.

Serioiusly, do people not visit and quest on Ilum already... a planet where there already is PvP area's, and a place you can be steamrolled if your not careful? I would also like to point out, to those with concern, that Ilum had a specific and DEDICATED place for PvP area last time, it was not the whole planet, and it seems like a lot of people with concern are just freaking out for no reason.

*Get some recruit gear

*Prepare yourself for PvP (and if your playing on a PvP server, then please DO NOT complain about open world PvP, its what you chose to do)

*Practice, and play some PvP matches... it isnt brain science

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe. If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

Those of us who have been here since the beginning, and experienced Ilum and its open would PvP would probably agree that the issue of it being released is NOT you being attacked, its going to be if the engine can support the large scale battles, and not play at only .5 framerate, then crash your game.

people need to learn to read the state of the game and ACTUALLY read it tbh

they did not say they were revamping ilum and bringing open world pvp back to ilum

they did not say that this new even would be centered around the pvp area of ilum

they actually said they were moving away from open world pvp updates and priorities for the time being and focusing on more warzone related pvp content and adjustments.

i think it is the pvp community that needs to calm down tbh, and take news with a dose of reality, they aren't going to release a world event solely in a pvp contested area, because they are aware that it will cause too many problems.

They will either A) create an instanced area (most likely scenario) similar to that of Section X or Black Hole) or B: disable auto flag for pvp on west side of ilum (not as likely, but definitely a possibility if they plan on the gree being out there for a while).

forced pvp on any realm is a bad idea, no matter what the viewpoint is.

Edited by mithrelkhaar

people need to learn to read the state of the game and ACTUALLY read it tbh

they did not say they were revamping ilum and bringing open world pvp back to ilum

they did not say that this new even would be centered around the pvp area of ilum

The funniest part is that when 1.7 hits, PVPers will fill up the forums with "F*** you Bioware, sh**** job once more" posts because nobody reads what the devs say and just choose to believe/hope that whatever they want to see in the game was actually somehow "promised".

just wait and see ;)

Edited by TheNahash

I agree with the state of the game comment except that it states in the 1.7 post it will be in a contested area. Contested means what if it does not mean in a PVP area? Please explain I fail to understand how contested does not mean PVP?

1. Recruit gear is *not* free if you're not a brand-new 50. You may've bought the token, turned it in, and taken the credits months ago like many players did.

2. Ilum *was* a PvP planet. Nowhere in the dev posts the previous poster mentioned does it say that it'll *stay* that way. According to those same dev posts, there is no guarantee that the Western Shelf will remain a PvP area. Just because it is NOW doesn't mean it will be in 1.7.

3. They cater to the PvE crowd because they outnumber the PvP crowd by most estimates 10 to 1. We'd see the same amount of QQ if there were a faction-specific event.

it says and i quote in the contested zone ;) of ilum bla bla bla

First how about you take a step back and try not to insult people you don't even know. I personally find all the comments attacking pvpers on pve servers to be insulting and short sighted. I personally am on a pve server I started on a pve server because my friends were on it did not expect to enjoy the pvp content and found out I loved it. So how about you not make assumptions about whether I have balls or not. And since you don't know me how about you not accuse me of dbag behavior such as ganking. I pvp against others in pvp gear because I enjoy it, I do not room around looking for people in pve gear to attack I mean really what the hell would be the purpose of it?

All the events we have had were heavily pve focused I did not participate as I did not find anything I liked in the events and the time sink of pve content I would have to go through turned me off. And no I did not go on the forums to complain about a content patch that had nothing for me, surprise in a game with so much I figure you are going to get that sometimes.

I do not believe that pve player should be forced to do pvp content even. I also don't think I should be forced to do pve content but let me give you some instance of when I have been.

1: Need credits well the short and long of it is that warzones don't give much money so if you want a new look then you have to do dailies on Belsavis or where ever.

2: Black Hole comms when I wanted a piece of gear for the look I had to do Black Hole dailies to get the comms. There is no way to get them in the warzones. Also if you want the schematic for the Exotech Stims.

3: 1 through 10 levels

4: Companions if I want to have all my companions for crafting I have to go through the story line. And why would I want to do crafting well if I want to have the Rakata grenades/medpacks or anything else I have to have them. So this means that I at least have to do the story up to 35 or 40 to get most of my companions.

5: Legacy if I want a decent level of legacy to get new gear to send to my alt or to unlock something surprise I have to do the story line. Why? Because the legacy points you get from warzones is so small you will be old and grey if you don't do it.

Despite all the above reasons I do not think pve players should be made to pvp as it is an inherently unfair system. But do not come on here and try to make out that we pvp players are dbags or that we somehow can go through this game and not do pve content. I would rather the above issues were fixed but we all know they will not be it just is what it is. As for the majority vs minority view I would speculate that most players as in the majority are not as polarized as the forums and that most do both kinds of content.

My guess on the new content is that it will flag you for pvp when you enter but it will not be the zerg fest that Ilium used to be and that it will be instanced in some way. I have not seen anything anywhere that says that the only place you will get the legacy lighsaber will be in this event if it is and pve players do fall to the minority pvp dbags then I would say that it is a shame and that if you want someone to run interference you can find me on most nights hit me up and I will bring some friends and help you out. I would not want to be ganked and am more than willing to fight people who are only going for easy kills. Yes my offer is sincere I think a lot of pvpers would be willing to help you if BW drops the ball on this one.

No one knows what Bioware's intentions are with this 1.7 event.

My opinion:

It seems it is a promotion for the new illium PvP area.

If that is the case why would they put it anywhere other then on illum. That would make no sense. But then this is the internet, there is no logic.

To all the pvp haters out there... just stop because you already lost. There throwing pvp players a bone in this game that is 90% pve and you guys really are freaking out. SEE whats going on here is that its a pvp area that all us pvp'rs have assumed has been getting worked on all this time in preparation of open world pvp. Instead they actually decided to plant an event in the area that is just pvp focused. So it seems like pvp'rs could be mad that they are turning it into a limited time event kinda deal but instead pve'rs are crying even though it is a luxury that it has anything to do with them at all, go figure.

This is Star WARS you guys, its cool to have atleast one planet of real fighting going on between the sides rather then the galactic staring contest that is going on between all the static mobs.

Other points are pvp is way more popular then op's/FP's so its not the minority at all in anything. And about not rolling on pvp servers well I had no idea that mmorpg pvp was so much fun before playing this game so I choose a pve server and now couldnt possibly go through the pve content for a 10th time to level up someone on a pvp server. Plus no server transfers and I suspect that a lot of people who are into pvp really dont care at all about this argument because they are already on a pvp server, too bad because its so irritating.

Edited by Miggzy

First how about you take a step back and try not to insult people you don't even know. I personally find all the comments attacking pvpers on pve servers to be insulting and short sighted. I personally am on a pve server I started on a pve server because my friends were on it did not expect to enjoy the pvp content and found out I loved it. So how about you not make assumptions about whether I have balls or not. And since you don't know me how about you not accuse me of dbag behavior such as ganking. I pvp against others in pvp gear because I enjoy it, I do not room around looking for people in pve gear to attack I mean really what the hell would be the purpose of it?

All the events we have had were heavily pve focused I did not participate as I did not find anything I liked in the events and the time sink of pve content I would have to go through turned me off. And no I did not go on the forums to complain about a content patch that had nothing for me, surprise in a game with so much I figure you are going to get that sometimes.

I do not believe that pve player should be forced to do pvp content even. I also don't think I should be forced to do pve content but let me give you some instance of when I have been.

1: Need credits well the short and long of it is that warzones don't give much money so if you want a new look then you have to do dailies on Belsavis or where ever.

2: Black Hole comms when I wanted a piece of gear for the look I had to do Black Hole dailies to get the comms. There is no way to get them in the warzones. Also if you want the schematic for the Exotech Stims.

3: 1 through 10 levels

4: Companions if I want to have all my companions for crafting I have to go through the story line. And why would I want to do crafting well if I want to have the Rakata grenades/medpacks or anything else I have to have them. So this means that I at least have to do the story up to 35 or 40 to get most of my companions.

5: Legacy if I want a decent level of legacy to get new gear to send to my alt or to unlock something surprise I have to do the story line. Why? Because the legacy points you get from warzones is so small you will be old and grey if you don't do it.

Despite all the above reasons I do not think pve players should be made to pvp as it is an inherently unfair system. But do not come on here and try to make out that we pvp players are dbags or that we somehow can go through this game and not do pve content. I would rather the above issues were fixed but we all know they will not be it just is what it is. As for the majority vs minority view I would speculate that most players as in the majority are not as polarized as the forums and that most do both kinds of content.

My guess on the new content is that it will flag you for pvp when you enter but it will not be the zerg fest that Ilium used to be and that it will be instanced in some way. I have not seen anything anywhere that says that the only place you will get the legacy lighsaber will be in this event if it is and pve players do fall to the minority pvp dbags then I would say that it is a shame and that if you want someone to run interference you can find me on most nights hit me up and I will bring some friends and help you out. I would not want to be ganked and am more than willing to fight people who are only going for easy kills. Yes my offer is sincere I think a lot of pvpers would be willing to help you if BW drops the ball on this one.

who is this guy, and what is he talking about.... seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed..

forcing people to do pvp in order to do pve content on a pve server is what the problem is. DUH!!!

Id say the Devs PROMISED this would never happen before game released but that promse was broken with the HK quest where you had to go into Outlaws Den for a specific part from a vendor.

So nothing would surprise me now.

Honestly I hope they dont place in the PVP area because it will just lead to more drama and more subscriber losses.

But I suspect this is EAs answer to all of us that been asking for open world PVP

Rather then fix the PVP so its viable in the open world, they will just leave broken and force us into the area thats been more then dead, for who knows how long now.

We shall see when 1.7 comes out

The one major distinction here that I think PvP'ers arent recognizing, for one reason or another, is that PvP is somethjng added onto PvE in this game. A PvP'er doing PvE content is nothing more than doing regular content eithout the risk of other players coming in to mess with you. For a PvE'er doing PvP content, and I am speaking in terms of open world PvP not warzones in both cases here, you are adding more enemy mobs into the mix with the addition of other players as enemies. Basically it takes nothing away from the PvP'er to do PvE content but maybe a modicum of challenge.

The one major distinction here that I think PvP'ers arent recognizing, for one reason or another, is that PvP is somethjng added onto PvE in this game. A PvP'er doing PvE content is nothing more than doing regular content eithout the risk of other players coming in to mess with you. For a PvE'er doing PvP content, and I am speaking in terms of open world PvP not warzones in both cases here, you are adding more enemy mobs into the mix with the addition of other players as enemies. Basically it takes nothing away from the PvP'er to do PvE content but maybe a modicum of challenge.

Exactly, but the issue is... people are complaining about having to gear for PvP, and... wait for it... HAVING THE CHANCE OF DYING AT THE HAND OF ANOTHER PLAYER!! IMO if they do anything with the game, and people leave, then maybe things will get better... hopefully it would be the QQer's of the game and forums :p

Well, there's your problem. Who says it's "PVE content"? If something is set in the PVP area of Ilum, then it's not "PVE content". Apparently, people think any event where there are rewards is automatically PVE content. That's not the case.

Im not freaking out about Ilum.. quite frankly I despise PvP, lucklily enough Ilum is the easiest planet to do dailies... If however the new stuff in 1.7(that rating system) requires PvP participation then ill just stick to the dailies and not bother, afterall its why I rolled on a RP server (some say PvE aswell) and not a PvP one Edited by dacentabaal

I enjoy doing the special events. I always have. I however play on a PVE server for a reason. I do not enjoy PVP, I never have. If this game was ONLY pvp I would not have started to play it in the first place. Making special events that forces someone to PVP (which requires special gear) is not right. People are not going to gear up just for a special event. Those people who are hardcore PVP'ers are also going to take every chance they can to gank every person they can during the event. As a player, I will seek out doing as much of the event that I can without having to PvP, which is a shame as the developers worked hard on the event and I'm sure lots of good content will be missed. However, when questing and doing events, I -hate- spending hours having to fight off stupid pvp'ers trying to get to an objective. No thanks, it simply is not enjoyable for me. That is why there are pvp areas, and warzones and all that other crap. In my opinion that is the best way to have PVP, it allows people to pvp on their time without invading the other parts of a pve server. Clearly they decided that would not be the case this time. Is that Fair... I am not sure that matters, it is what they designed and that is what we will have to live with as players. I for one, as a person with a subscription, do not agree with their decision. :(

:cool:

who is this guy, and what is he talking about.... seems like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed..

While he may seem a bit cranky for having to fend off the accusations of someone who is making a rather assuming broad brush attack on him and others like him, he further goes on to say that he feels.it is wrong to (for lack of better words atm) force PvE players to do PvP content if they want to obtain the potential gear (since none of us actually know what will or will not be offered) and even goes so far as to offer his PvP gear and skills as a make shift body guard for any of the number of PvE players who will want to get their hands on said gear but lack the means , either through gear; skills; or both. Doesn't seem like the offering of someone who got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Edited by Hyfy

Not all of llum is PvP in know the mane area is not in less this is changing in 1.7 as for that i remember the days of getting the white boxes and blowing the walkers up and the republic and empire side worked together to do the weekly and daily's lol

...Also I don't think you have to kill a single mob unless you want to, so I don't see your point.

This is so true! Excellent point! If one wanted to ONLY do PvP, there are ways that they can do so without ever engaging a single mob (well, once they reach level 10 anyway). By the same token, if you absolutely do not want to engage in PvP, you can simply not go to Ilum. It is entirely your decision!

Personally, the absolute most fun I ever had in this game was on Ilum, when large groups would contest the middle section of the PvP area. Of course, that also accounts for the most boring times too... Who remembers running around in circle on your speeder racing your compatriots for armaments, hoping beyond hope that some brave (and stupid) soul from the opposing faction would turn up so you could get a kill?

Well, there's your problem. Who says it's "PVE content"? If something is set in the PVP area of Ilum, then it's not "PVE content". Apparently, people think any event where there are rewards is automatically PVE content. That's not the case.

This, a thousand times this!

I actually felt the same way about HK-51. You don't NEED HK-51 at all, your existing companions can do a perfectly adequate job. If people were so adamant that there should be no PvP element, no one was FORCING them to enter Outlaw's Den. The way I see it, HK was a reward for players who embrace the entirety of the game. Update 1.7 looks to be along the same lines, and I personally am looking forward to it!

Im not freaking out about Ilum.. quite frankly I despise PvP, lucklily enough Ilum is the easiest planet to do dailies... If however the new stuff in 1.7(that rating system) requires PvP participation then ill just stick to the dailies and not bother

This guy gets it

This guy gets it

I want to do my dailies in peace, not get ganked by 4 Reps camping out on the road. I chose an RP Server for a reason, if I want to PvP then I'd switch on my PvP Flag.

This guy doesn't get it