why are people freaking out about Ilum in 1.7?

skiibyrd

Or by CHOICE if you CHOOSE to fly to the PVP planet. Sorry that the PVP scene bothers you, but segregating PVE and PVP players is stupid and bioware is doing this the right way. The only reason you have PVP servers is because that's for people that enjoy PVP any time any place anywhere. Not everyone that PVPs enjoys it to that extent. They like having certain parts of the game to go to get their PVP fix.This content is not neccessary to enjoy the game and it's a fix that many of us have been asking for since Ilum shut down a year ago. If you don't like PVP, then avoid the western part of Ilum. Simple.

Name a game where this has worked well?

Its not necessarily content for people to enjoy the game? Did you read what you wrote? LOL

Having different sections of the world designed for PvP and PvE is one thing, but requiring PvE players to enter into PvP areas in order to complete quests would be quite another. One would work, one would fail.

As a PvP player, if you are having trouble understanding the problem, think in terms of your having to fully level through PvE, do all raid bosses for a month or so, attain a full set of PvE raiding gear before you unlock your PvP ability. Does that sound attractive to you?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the single largest problem with having software developers running a game. They tend to think that they can manipulate people the way they can manipulate code. It can't be done. You cannot force people to play anything they do not want to play. This has been tried and failed way back in UO, which set the standard that we still enjoy today of PvP only by choice.

PvP is not at all anything like PvE. It is not fair fights engaged in by equal competitors. It's a mass of ganking and harassment and will be seen as such by those that enjoy PvE and just want to get their quests done. It will be even worse because two different sets of gear are required and PvE players will be getting annihilated by well geared PvPers waiting, fully prepared, in ambush.

I enjoy Warzones, but if they did that to my PvE time I would find another game that allowed me to PvE as I desire. Heck, I may do it still as I do not want some 12 year old wired on cheetos and coke, or some overgrown kid living vicariously through his character bothering me while I'm trying to quest. When I feel like PvPing, I will do so.

If they try this, it will fail hard and undo everything they have attempted to do in keeping this game alive. It would truly be the dumbest idea in the history of dumb ideas. Last straw for me and many.

Don't understand where people got the idea that this was going to be a PVP only event, the state of the game CLEARLY said that they would not be focusing on Open-world PVP any time soon. They also said the Gree are coming to Ilum "though not in a way you would expect". The event will not be PVP only. As with any event, people will have the option of flagging themselves, but i just don't see Bioware making an entire event FORCE people to flag for PVP and deal with the grief that it will bring.

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe. If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

Those of us who have been here since the beginning, and experienced Ilum and its open would PvP would probably agree that the issue of it being released is NOT you being attacked, its going to be if the engine can support the large scale battles, and not play at only .5 framerate, then crash your game.

As stated, its been tried and failed. That failure set the standard for separation way back some 18 years ago. There is no way in the world that a game allowing PvP anytime, anywhere would survive in a PvE sense. The only people interested in such, that would play the game, are PvP players. They would lose a huge percentage of their player base, which is why they have dedicated servers for such, so that people such as the OP can have his wish without encroaching on the game play of those that choose a different means by which to play the game. Mashing the two together would prove disastrous.

PvE playes will not remain in a game where they are subjected to PvP intrusion. I'ts really that simple.

Don't understand where people got the idea that this was going to be a PVP only event, the state of the game CLEARLY said that they would not be focusing on Open-world PVP any time soon. They also said the Gree are coming to Ilum "though not in a way you would expect". The event will not be PVP only. As with any event, people will have the option of flagging themselves, but i just don't see Bioware making an entire event FORCE people to flag for PVP and deal with the grief that it will bring.

Not PVP only, PVP any. If they make one tiny aspect of it PVP it will be disastrous. I'll say it again. You cannot force PvE players to PvP. Not ever. You will lose them en-mass. If it is kept completely separate it will work. If it is blended at all, it will fail.

The pvp crowd is making this argument to point out the fact that we have to continually pve in this game to earn optional rewards even though that isn't our preferred playstyle. We do so without complaint, even when we had to pve to earn our pvp rewards (remember Ilum missile clicking or flip trading control points?).

One event comes out that requires pvp for an optional reward and the pve crowd is up in arms. Seems to be the case that whenever any minority gets a nod in our society the majority cries out how unfair it is (gay marriage, civil rights?).

And yes, I'm engaging in hyperbole b/c the whole argument put forward by the pve crowd is RIDICULOUS and deserves to be mocked.

How can you not grasp that?

It is not the same. Not at all. Going from PvP to PvE does not interrupt or prevent your game play experience. There is no "wild card" in the mix. Going the other way can and will, for the reasons I've stated.

This argument is sophomoric at best, and expresses the exact mentality that PvE players wish to not have interrupt their gaming experience.

As I've stated, if it is optional, it will work. If it is required, it will fail no harder then requiring PvP players to attain gear by raiding end game bosses. It will not work.

Edited by Blackardin

I see there is still some ignorant folks in this thread that don't understand the meaning of the word, "FORCED."

No one is forcing you to do anything. If the thought of being ganked by some well geared PVP groups keeps you awake at night, THEN YOU HAVE THE CHOICE OF NOT DOING IT. ! Just like many of us choose not to PUG for flashpoints because we hate doing them. For you PVE only folks, you're about to have an entire expansion catered just for you., yet I don't see any PVP only folks throwing a tantrum over that.

Get over yourselves and grow up.

Edited by oslek

Maybe people just need to consider that it's a PVP based event (and it is, based off it's location) and not a PvE event. Just because it has a PvE boss in it, doesn't make it strictly PvE content.

This.

It is a PvP event (supposedly an RvR of sorts relauch).

Why on earth would they have a non-PvP PvP event? :confused:

People have gotten too comforable with this game, and are used to sitting on the fleet for most of their play time, a place where they are safe. If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime. If they do this right, it could really add a very important element to this game that its been lacking for almost a whole year.

what the hell is wrong with you?

If you have the masochistig urgent feeling to be molested why not you make a lvl 10 character and place it with PvP flagged in lvl-50 PvP zones?

SWTOR is definetly the wrong game for you...

If I had it my way, the fleet would be destroyed, and you would have the chance of being attacked anywhere, at anytime.

I bet you're the first one crying in forums when 8 Level-50 ENDGAME geared players Spawnkill you you 3 hours in a row and you're unable to logout because youre in Combat mode..lol

Edited by Prysha

This.

That is not what the OP, and a great many people are arguing in this thread.

As stated, if it is a PvP event designed to grant special reward to players that PvP, even with a PvE boss at the end, it will be a great addition to the game (we had them in wow PvP in Alterac Vally).

Some are suggesting a planet of open world PvP where PvE players will have to venture in order to advance. That would be, well, dumb.

I see there is still some ignorant folks in this thread that don't understand the meaning of the word, "FORCED."

you dont get the point...

The scenario is.. when there is a PvE event.. where players can be killed by other players... they have 2 options... in order to see / get new content they are forced to join this even...

or to avoid it...

so they are either forced to avoid.. because they dotn want to get killed...

or they are forced to join the event and deal with gettibng overkilled....

its is being forced... unless u just logoff and dont care about the game anyomre...

Edited by Prysha

you dont get the point...

The scenario is.. when there is a PvE event.. where players can be killed by other players... they have 2 options... in order to see / get new content they are forced to join this even...

or to avoid it...

so they are either forced to avoid.. because they dotn want to get killed...

or they are forced to join the event and deal with gettibng overkilled....

You're the one missing the point...

1.) Just because there is a Boss involved does not mean it is a PVE only event. You guys seem to have this mentality that because there is NPCs involved that it is a PVE only event. It is not. It is meant to be a combination of PVE and PVP.

2.)There are plenty of PVE only things for you guys to do in this game. This is one instance where there is a combination of both. The only other instance in this game where that happens is the HK line. This will add one more of those. So now there will be two things in this game that has a combination of both compared to how much PVE only content in this game?

3.) You don't like PVP? Guess what? I don't like OPs. Should the game never again add an OP just because I don't like OPs? Of course not. Same goes for players like me who enjoy events such as these. It's much more interesting than another predictable quest line.

4.) You still have the option of not doing it. don't like PVP. Don't do it. Yes you miss out on the new content. That is the consequence of your choice. Same goes for those players who never experienced the newer Rakgoul stuff because they hate FPs and OPs.

Edited by oslek

You're the one missing the point...

1.) Just because there is a Boss involved does not mean it is a PVE only event. You guys seem to have this mentality that because there is NPCs involved that it is a PVE only event. It is not. It is meant to be a combination of PVE and PVP.

2.)There are plenty of PVE only things for you guys to do in this game. This is one instance where there is a combination of both. The only other instance in this game where that happens is the HK line. This will add one more of those.

3.) You don't like PVP? Guess what? I don't like OPs. Should the game never again add an OP just because I don't like OPs? Of course not. Same goes for players like me who enjoy events such as these. It's much more interesting than another predictable quest line.

4.) You still have the option of not doing it. don't like PVP. Don't do it. Yes you miss out on the new content. That is the consequence of your choice. Same goes for those players who never experienced the newer Rakgoul stuff because they hate FPs and OPs.

For What it is called PvE Server ( Red Eclipse ) when i need to deal with PvP or just avoid the new event..?!

and tbh i dont care what PvPers must do ( OPS ect ).... this discussion is about PvP within a PvE server/event ....

yeah sure... but then i can leave the game because all new stuff is BOUND-TO-PVP ... nice.. this is the fall of SWTOR ( PvE ) ...

so what you say is basicly:

SWTOR is going to mix up PvP with PvE and future content will be only available if u PvP in open zones ( getting ganked by Overgeared ) all time....

THIS would be quickly make round at any gaming community and SWTOR would be get a even worse reputation than it has already.. :/

Edited by Prysha

For What it is called PvE Server ( Red Eclipse ) when i need to deal with PvP or just avoid the new event..?!

and tbh i dont care what PvPers must do ( OPS ect ).... this discussion is about PvP within a PvE server/event ....

You ALREADY have PVP on a PVE server. Just because you are on a PVE server doesn't mean there won't be PVP on it.

Far as your not care statement, your are playing an MMORPG, which means you have to deal with other players who don't play the same as you. Just because you don't like PVP doesn't mean others on your server don't. Stop being so selfish.

yeah sure... but then i can leave the game because all new stuff is BOUND-TO-PVP ... nice.. this is the fall of SWTOR ( PvE ) ...

SWTOR is going to mix up PvP with PvE and future content will be only available if u PvP in open zones ( getting ganked by Overgeared ) all time....

THIS would be quickly make round at any gaming community and SWTOR would be get a even worse reputation than it has already.. :/

Oh for goodness sakes stop it. You have an entire expansion coming out with an entire planet that is PVE only. Just stop because you're starting to sound like a spoiled child that threatens to take his ball and go home because he isn't getting what he wants all the time.

Edited by oslek

You ALREADY have PVP on a PVE server. Just because you are on a PVE server doesn't mean there won't be PVP on it.

Far as your not care statement, your are playing an MMORPG, which means you have to deal with other players who don't play the same as you. Just because you don't like PVP doesn't mean others on your server don't. Stop being so selfish.

You are totally making this look like you want it to look.. but you're wrong.

Actually on Red Eclipse you can PvP through Warzones or by flagging yourself for PvP...secondary is not rewarding you with anything at all..

ALSO warzones are not needed to get the storyline or to get PvE GEAR.

There is outpost DEN but it is not needed for PvE Gear.

As i read here.. ILLUM 1.7 will reward PvE items .. but you need PvP/risk PvP.

==================================

Summary: Illum1.7 forces you to PvP ( get killed by Overgeareds ) in order to get PvE gear.

Its not me who is selfish.. its the PvP community here who is selfish.. they tell us PvEers to deal with it...

... if they add this... they should atleast make this gear available for PvEers through NPC killing. ( without being attacked by moro... erm... Overgeared Players.... )

otherwise it just unfair and only the Overgeared Player wil own everything and we lowbies / PvEers will never see the new things on our own characters...

tell me why you dont get my/our point ?

(( but i think you are just trolling because this cant be your honest..lol ))

Oh for goodness sakes stop it. You have an entire expansion coming out with an entire planet that is PVE only. Just stop because you're starting to sound like a spoiled child that threatens to take his ball and go home because he isn't getting what he wants all the time.

What are u trying here?

All WE ( yes me and others ) said here is that we dont want to be forced to PvP only in order to get PvE items from illum 1.7...

is this hard to understand? maybe i type it in different language?

Edited by Prysha

Do you even play the game? Recruit gear is free. Also Ilum is a PVP planet so I guarantee this will contain PVP. If you don't like it don't participate.

And your Majority/Minority comment is completely wrong. They cater to the PVE crowd a majority of the time. What is wrong with 1 PVP event on the PVP planet?

No it isn't.Their are dailies and quest and they have nothing to do with PVP.Tatooine has Outlaw Den.Ilum is the same.There is a area.

This.

We have five(5) warzones played to death already and empty Illum pvp zone. BioWare is finally throwing a bone for PvP players. Stop being so selfish and try to get into our shoes for once.

No it isn't.Their are dailies and quest and they have nothing to do with PVP.Tatooine has Outlaw Den.Ilum is the same.There is a area.

Yes there are currently dailies in Ilum, except of course that is not in the auto flag area so your point is moot.

Just because people are calling click quests PVE doesn't make them so. If they are in an auto flag area in my opinion these are PvP quests, and this is said by someone who doesn't PvP in this game and rarely goes to Ilum.

Edited by mothear

This.

We have five(5) warzones played to death already and empty Illum pvp zone. BioWare is finally throwing a bone for PvP players. Stop being so selfish and try to get into our shoes for once.

Dude i never said they shouldnt release illum 1.7 =)

All WE ( yes me and others ) said here is that we dont want to be forced to PvP only in order to get PvE items from illum 1.7...

Edited by Prysha

This.

It may be on the Western Shelf, but that doesn't mean it's a PvP event. It's also coming in with the reputation system, which is generally geared toward PvE'rs. The reputation system pictures I have seen includes the Gree and Voss.

With the HK event, I waited weeks until the rush was over to go to the Outlaw's Den to get what I needed. HK is an on-going quest with no end time. This Gree event will have a hard end-time meaning, if there is PvE content in the PvP area, I'll have to skip this event. This bothers me, because I enjoy PvE content and have long since stopped going into warzones. I've had players try to initiate open world fighting by jumping into my mobs and hoping I click on their companion or my companion attacks. It is really, really annoying when I'm trying to complete my PvE quests. If I wanted to PvP, I would flag myself.

In short, with the information at hand, it's hard to know with one-hundred percent certainty that is PvE content in a PvP area or a purely PvP event. If this is purely a PvP event, then I can skip it quite happily. If it's PvE content in an auto-flagging PvP area, I will skip the event, but I will not be happy about it.

Then stick to the eastern side.

Ironic that you can't understand simple facts too: "You aren't forced to do anything." also "PvP events require PvP".

What are u trying here?

You don't need to type in a different language. It would still translate as

WAH!!!!! WAAH!!! WAAAHH!!!!!

If you don't participate then you don't get the items. It's as simple as that.

Edited by oslek