So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

:)

LOL!!! No where in that interview did James Ohlen say it was free!!!

Oh, so you missed the part where he said it was a non-expansion piece of content? Which we were already told would be free. And how the moderator then compares it to FREE content released for other games and asks for confirmation that it will indeed be bigger and more impressive than those?

I would think that, if it wasn't intended to be free, he would have said so when it started being compared to free content.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 months ago it might not have been an expansion pack. Now it very well could be BUT...

So what you're saying is you are making a snap judgement without all information needed to make a reasonable judgement at this time.

Given the digital expansion actually says, "More info to be released in the coming months."

The reason they're not saying anything is because they don't know what will be done in time for a Spring release. They will release information as things are finished because if they say what they would like to be included in this "expansion" and it's not in there, people are going to be even more angry than they are now.

It's a simply a game of "Shut up if you can't deliver in time."

that is a discount until dec 7th and even if all the subs bought into the "expansion" people that brought the populations bak up are the F2P players so with the discription that you got from BW would you make a $20 invesment on it?

December 7th was over a week ago, dude. :p

And it's the Early Access that is limited for pre-orders before January 7th. The subscribers' discount doesn't have any listed limitations to it.

I think sometimes people need a refresher course on how commodities work.

I don't buy Bieber records. I do buy The Gossip and Devo records. I don't complain about Bieber records existing.

If the Hutt Cartel expansion doesn't blow your skirt up, no one is forcing you to buy it.

Most of the complaints stem from Bioware telling subscribers they would get all new content as part of there subscription, then they made it seem like the cartel coins we got would allow us to buy most of the stuff we wanted on the cartel shop, which it didn't because they priced the items extremely high. A set of gear (already designed back when the game first released) cost 1200 coins... given most were only given around 2k coins it didn't allow us to buy much.

Next came the Life Day stuff which most MMO's would of given out to free to their subscribers as appreciation for staying with the game, instead Bioware priced them extremely high which was seen as a money grab.

Now Makeb which as I mentioned above was suppose to be part of our subscription fee is now being sold for $10 instead in addition you have to pay cartel coins to unlock the Cather Race in order to play them. Now if the amount of content is significant then I don't mind paying the $10, but if it only gives me couple hours worth of content and just boils down to kill X and deliver Y grind missions then it will be seen as another money grab by Bioware / EA....

Anyways the complaints come down to Bioware promising one thing and doing another.... Just another example of EA ruining the reputation of Bioware.

You don't make a big pitch at E3 and then go 'oops, we changed our minds and are screwing over our customers instead'.

The things you listed are GOOD changes in FAVOR of the customer, which is a selling point for any game, not an 'oops, we had to change our minds'. It's a "hey, we wanted to offer some good will so we're giving you even more." The two are not comparable and that you think they are is laughable.

The point is you keep calling them liars. I'm still wondering why you're so upset that Makeb isn't a non-expansion item anymore? Did you buy the game based solely on the knowledge that Makeb was going to be free? Or you subbing only for that reason?

See that link that says "watch interview here." click on it. watch interview. the link even tells you at what minute mark to listen specifically. You're welcome.

I did...point me to the exact minute mark that James Ohlen said that Makeb is free to subs?? Here maybe you should read this again about Jeff Hickman's view on larger then normal content patches.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...62#post5599262

You don't make a big pitch at E3 and then go 'oops, we changed our minds and are screwing over our customers instead'.

The things you listed are GOOD changes in FAVOR of the customer, which is a selling point for any game, not an 'oops, we had to change our minds'. It's a "hey, we wanted to offer some good will so we're giving you even more." The two are not comparable and that you think they are is laughable.

I'm sure it has happened in other MMOs.

The one most recent on my mind was path of the Titans in WOW. Announced, got people excited. Players pre-ordred and taken out completely (and one or 2 other things from that BIG Blizzcon announcement of cataclysm that didn't happen IIRC)

Edited by Quraswren

:)

Oh, so you missed the part where he said it was a non-expansion piece of content? Which we were already told would be free. And how the moderator then compares it to FREE content released for other games and asks for confirmation that it will indeed be bigger and more impressive than those?

I would think that, if it wasn't intended to be free, he would have said so when it started being compared to free content.

No I just read what Jeff Hickman Said about the possibility of charging subs for LARGER then normal content patches.

The problem is here it's a "glass half full versus half empty" argument. You are literally taking the bare minimum of what they said and see to be stating that's all their going to have to the expansion. That's fine. Then don't buy the expansion yet. Wait until you know what you're getting with it to make in informed decision.

Plus, you're wrong when you say "they aren't even saying there will be new abilities."

http://www.swtor.com/rothc?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-hp-013

Scroll down a bit and you'll see:

"INCREASED LEVEL CAP

Continue your Star Wars saga with a new level cap of 55! Earn new abilities, skill points, gear, and more as your character advances!"

So clearly we're getting more skill points and new abilities. Heck, the video from a long time ago even showed Assassins getting some new aoe ablity (looks like a channeled one).

So if you're going to accuse other people of being liars and/or making uninformed decisions... please follow suit.

That's great, now it has 3 of the 20 things a normal expac has, that means it's totes worth it...

Remember "Ilum will be the most mind blowing game changing thing to ever happen to PVP."

Remember Ranked getting yanked 3 hours before the patch?

Remember Makeb, "it's not an expac, it's the biggest piece of free content any game has ever done."

Remember "no gear on CM" then "we meant no BiS gear" then "CM should be equal to playing the game, but not better"

Remember how we're a week away from the one year anniversay and we're still in preseason one of ranked pvp... ranked hasn't even started yet...

Remember "we're not looking at f2p, that model doesn't make any sense to us whatsoever."

Honestly, how someone can NOT take what they say with a grain of salt is beyond me.

The point is you keep calling them liars. I'm still wondering why you're so upset that Makeb isn't a non-expansion item anymore? Did you buy the game based solely on the knowledge that Makeb was going to be free? Or you subbing only for that reason?

What... how... does your logic work at all? Your point A has nothing to do with your point B. I don't even know how to respond to this because it has nothing to do with anything previously.

What we're being told is currently in this 'expansion' is what we were told the 'biggest non-expansion piece of content' would be, therefore it sounds like it's still the exact same thing it was planned to be before, they just decided to charge for it. That's called lying to your consumer base.

If there is, in fact, more to it than previously planned then they need to do some damage control PRONTO - and should have foreseen this since people were already getting edgy about their wishy washy statements about Makeb being free or in the Cartel Market.

Edited by Prettyevilish

You know we were promised we won't get charged for it.....

It's not about price is about principle, they keep on promising us stuff then keep on backing out, it's infuriating.

Well, they promised to not go with the trinity system for group content, they promised, we could use any spec with any companion and not feel like they made a mistake, so i am used to lies from companies that do video games, its how all companies survive.

I did...point me to the exact minute mark that James Ohlen said that Makeb is free to subs?? Here maybe you should read this again about Jeff Hickman's view on larger then normal content patches.

It was specifically stated by James that it was a 'non-expansion pack' - thus meaning we don't pay for that as subscribers.

It was stated - at E3, it was a non-charge update for subscribers.

Nice try fan-boy.

Oh and if you are hanging onto every word that Jeff Hickman puts down somewhere, I highly suggest that you go find another mentor in life - he is absolute trash, he turns what he touches into trash and every MMO he has participated in (DAoC, Warhammer, etc) all failed and took severe burns at the magical touch King Midas (Hickman) bestowed upon them.

Edited by Amodin

Really stop discussing wether someone said something about the game before the restructure. We know that priorities got reshuffled and development delayed for the F2P option.

Discuss wether this content is worth the money or not and wether subs should have to pay for it or not. What they said 6 months ago is irrelevant, it was different management.

Again...give me the exact minute mark in video where James Ohlen says, "Makeb is Free to Subs!"

Maybe you too should read where Jeff Hickman said that they are unclear about making subs pay for larger then normal content patches.

Psst go to 5:10

http://torwars.com/2012/06/12/video-interview-with-james-ohlen-on-the-future-of-swtor-at-e3-part-2/

No I just read what Jeff Hickman Said about the possibility of charging subs for LARGER then normal content patches.

oh I see the problem now. NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT JEFF HICKMAN. The interview everyone is talking about is with James Ohlen. That's why it seems like you have no idea what everyone is talking about.

Now I know you didn't read the article or watch the interview, you have no idea who we're talking about and you are talking about someone and some thing completely different.

I'm sure it has happened in other MMOs.

The one most recent on my mind was path of the Titans in WOW. Announced, got people excited. Players pre-ordred and taken out completely (and one or 2 other things from that BIG Blizzcon announcement of cataclysm that didn't happen IIRC)

Also Archaeology was originally going to be a major profession that was actually cool and useful, and there was a whole raid and heroic that they just yanked from the game because they didn't think it fit in the story.

I'm also still waiting for their promised character model updates, the announcement that warlock demons would have different genders and customization, but at least they are finally giving Warlocks green fire soon after being asked for 7 years..

Oh yeah, where's my DANCE STUDIO, lol (it was on the box)

But anyway, yeah, I got the impression Makeb was going to be paid for the first time I ever heard of it ages ago when I saw those polls being sent around asking how much people would be willing to pay for it.

As for James Ohlen and Jeff Hickman business....my guess is Ohlen was really pushing for it to be free to subscribers, but lost the battle. Might be why we haven't heard from him as much lately.

Edited by chuixupu

That's great, now it has 3 of the 20 things a normal expac has, that means it's totes worth it...

Remember "Ilum will be the most mind blowing game changing thing to ever happen to PVP."

Remember Ranked getting yanked 3 hours before the patch?

Remember Makeb, "it's not an expac, it's the biggest piece of free content any game has ever done."

Remember "no gear on CM" then "we meant no BiS gear" then "CM should be equal to playing the game, but not better"

Remember how we're a week away from the one year anniversay and we're still in preseason one of ranked pvp... ranked hasn't even started yet...

Remember "we're not looking at f2p, that model doesn't make any sense to us whatsoever."

Honestly, how someone can NOT take what they say with a grain of salt is beyond me.

I get what you're saying. Sometimes companies back pedal. Blizzard does this too. I remember when Shamans were only Horde side. And Paladins were only Alliance. I remember when certain races couldn't be certain classes. I remember when Guild Halls were on the horizon. I remember when Death Knights were only the first of the Hero Classes they wanted to introduce. Seriously... things change.

WoW didn't release new classes and new races every expansion. Yes, WoW's expansions were really, really big... you can say that TBC, for example, was basically the same size as the original. I get that. Seriously, I get that. But you're about as far on one extreme of this issue as a person could be. I'm sorry to say it, but they're not going to change it now. So you have a choice to make.

Nope, because there isn't one. Just the one I posted earlier from an interview with Jeff Hickman making NO promises of charging or NOT charging subs for new content.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5599262#post5599262

During June 2012, at E3, EA/Bioware employees talked about how all content updates, aside from expansions, would be free. And James Ohlen, in an interview, stated that Makeb was the biggest non-expansion SWTOR had ever released - in fact, he bragged it would be the biggest non-expansion any game had released. You can see that interview here; the discussion about Makeb starts at about the 5 minute marker.

http://starwarstorguide.blogspot.dk/2012/12/pre-order-makeb-its-supposed-to-be-free.html

Edited by Jamus_Divinus