So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

I'm sure this comment will be lost in the thread rants but dont mmo expansions usually include an expansion on gameplay?

I'm no mmo authority but I've been around the block a few times and all the expansion packs I've seen include extra gameplay features rather than just some new terrain and more of the same missions/instances. Flying mounts, minigames, mounted combat, new craft skills or hobbies seem to be the norm for anything classed as an expansion. What's in Makeb that expands the gameplay?

I also don't know of f2p games that dont let you pay via your cash-shop currency for content packs.

Edited by Eaglec

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not digging through 45 pages of crying to prove your point. You want your point proven, you produce the results.

lol....

Person 1: "They said Makeb would be a free content patch to show their appreciation for their customers"

Person 2: "THEY DID NOT PROVE IT"

Person 1: "Okay, here is the link."

You: "Hai guyz whatz goin on in thiz thread?"

Person 1: "They said Makeb would be a free content patch to show their appreciation for their customers"

You: "THEY DID NOT PROVE IT"

Person 1: "I did earlier..."

You: "PFFF YOU EXPECT ME TO READ A THREAD BEFORE I POST?!?!?!!?!?"

You are quite the character.

Hilarious, since all you do on these forums is rant, it's unavoidable really.

Even if they decided to give us subscribers Makeb for free i have no doubt that you would have a problem with that also.

click on name, statistics, find all posts by Durasturan

You will see there was a time when I was among the most ardent supporters of this game, vehemently arguing against the nay sayers and heroically doing battle with the quitters, bads, and cry babies. You will see that on occassion I will still defend this game from unreasonable biases and outright lies. But the fact of the matter is:

They said subs wouldn't have to pay

And now they are saying they do

And not only do we have to pay, but very very very soon

even though it doesn't come out for at least four months

And we know next to nothing about what we're actually PAYING FOR

And they aren't even advertising that it will include the stuff they PREVIOUSLY said it would when they first told us about it...

This screams "rip off," and "bait and switch" and "caveat empTOR" to me.

They indeed said they "weren't sure" if they were going to charge subs for Makeb, one of them said they didn't want to but it wasn't set in stone. I'll take 5 levels, more story and a new planet for $10....

They also did indeed say they would not charge us. The original statement, then them becoming wishy-washy about it is absolutely true. You keep leaving out what was originally said - and now that they have gone against what we were told, shows that they do in fact have an unethical and unprofessional behavior towards their customers.

They can't even fix bugs from 1.2 going forward - why on earth would I pay for an expansion that was stated would be free for subscribers? I'm a big proponent of integrity - and today they just shot themselves in the leg.

I thought all SWTOR expansions were going to be free, i could have swore that was said back in closed beta and launch. It has been some time since closed beta and launch, but come can some one update me on this?

Interesting... they want us to pay for something they promised to be free of charge... Why I am not surprised... It was rather obvious when Bioware was bought by EA (embezzler a**holes)

http://www.examiner.com/article/ea-and-bioware-go-back-on-promise-to-release-makeb-free-to-subscribers

They did not even manage to fix the bloody codex in a year. When you kill enemies, their bodies still remain standing. Ability lag is better but is is still not fixed. Etc etc...

Edited by Jedlosson

lol....

Person 2: "THEY DID NOT PROVE IT"

Person 1: "Okay, here is the link."

You: "Hai guyz whatz goin on in thiz thread?"

You: "THEY DID NOT PROVE IT"

Person 1: "I did earlier..."

You: "PFFF YOU EXPECT ME TO READ A THREAD BEFORE I POST?!?!?!!?!?"

You are quite the character.

What makes it double extra funny is that this same mindset doesn't require any proof whatsoever that the "expansion" is actually worth it.

One: "They said it would be free!"

Two: PROVE IT!

One: "there's no proof it's worth it!"

Two: We don't need any! Buy it now!

I thought all SWTOR expansions were going to be free, i could have swore that was said back in closed beta and launch. It has been some time since closed beta and launch, but come can some one update me on this?

I don't know about closed beta but it was indeed stated a few months ago that expansions will be free. However there were many changes to the studio. Layoffs, people quit, f2p etc. So nothinh that was said back then is valid anymore because of all the changes. But they are putting out more content and honestly it doesn't cost that much. For subs it's less than a ticket for a movie. Yeah I think that's about it :)

You're completely missing the point. It's $10 we were told we wouldn't have to pay. It's extra money ON TOP of a sub, so technically it's MORE for subscribers, $25 as it requires you to spend $15 to get a $10 discount.

And we have NO IDEA what we're even paying for. Quick, tell me, how big is Makeb? How many missions? How many class missions? Is there a daily area? How many flash points? Does it have a raid? New PVP tier? PVP area? Is Cathar included? What exactly are we paying $10 FOR. You can't tell me it's worth it because you have no idea what you're getting.

I'll tell you what were paying for, new content and more levels, a new planet, more quests to do. So...ya its worth it to me. Its just $10, and I know its actually more but I ain't counting the sub to this so ya...$10.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Many say this, but I havent seen a definitive link stating it. Either way, even if they did...obviously alot has changed since beta/Launch. What may have been feasable then...may not be now.

To answer your question though, right now as it stands...no, it is not free. Subs get it for half price at 10 bucks...which is pretty reasonable IMO.

It's a CASH GRAB, people. Wake up and stop being sheep. Why is it a cash grab? Because they're asking for pre-order money on an expansion under the following terms:

1) No definite list of content

2) No hard release date

This is exactly like a car dealership taking FULL PAYMENT for car orders that have:

1) No list of specified options

2) No delivery date

A scam is a scam is a scam. How in the world can you accept payment from people (or be silly enough to pay someone) with no actual promise made on the service(s) to be delivered? It's completely unethical. You're all so willing to throw down your $10 and you don't even know what you're getting!!!

It's all about taking your money now and sometime down the road they'll give you something for it. If it sucks well too bad so sad.

--

I have been a continuous subscriber since launch (only after I tried the game in closed beta) so it's not like I don't put my money where my mouth is. I believe in supporting the games you enjoy but once again the failings of this hot mess that is EA/Bioware/SWTOR are readily and abundantly obvious.

Shame on them for thinking so little of their customers.

Just to keep it fresh:

"It is basically the biggest non expansion pack piece of content that any online game has ever released at one time. It is a whole planet, I never heard of that being released, um, except in something like an expansion pack so it shows how much we really care about giving our fans what they have been asking for."

The moderator then goes on to state how its unusual to give away something that big for free, and Ohlen repeats that it really is that big of a content update.

Remember folks: right now it's about the PREORDER.

But there was already the inventory item (and thus, the cartel coin item) datamined in the last patch.

So if you really don't want to pay for the expansion, wait until it's actually out.

If it doesn't turn up as a CC store item then (which is possible), your rage is justified.

And if you don't believe me: so far the FAQ only talks about preorders. not about actual release.

You don't get to play early as a subscriber without paying extra, that's for sure. HURR DURR.

Edited by Talahar

I like those people who are so fast to forget dev stated subscribers won't get charged for makeb. But i guess i'm in the minority of people for whom word still means something. Oh well i guess world is heading in direction where what comes out of persons mouth is worth as much as what comes out of their backside and majority people are actually fine with it.....

because Blizzard, Turbine, Bioware, Ea, etc.. are totally not allowed to change their minds or alter their plans at all. How awful of them to want to make a profit. yeah I totally agree

I don't recall such statements. However, I do recall that most expansions to any MMO - even those with subscriptions still cost money above and beyond the subscription cost. This looks to be more DLC sized, therefore I think the pricing for such is in-line and acceptable.

BJ

Remember folks: right now it's about the PREORDER.

Yeah that is the hope I am still hanging on to. That the $10 price is just for the 5 day pre-release and when the content update actually hits, it will be either free or buyable with cartel coins.

Just to keep it fresh:

"It is basically the biggest non expansion pack piece of content that any online game has ever released at one time. It is a whole planet, I never heard of that being released, um, except in something like an expansion pack so it shows how much we really care about giving our fans what they have been asking for."

The moderator then goes on to state how its unusual to give away something that big for free, and Ohlen repeats that it really is that big of a content update.

The big announcement is now up on the main page, it does not say we will be getting any fps, ops, warzones, classes, races, class story, gear tiers, daily zones, pvp zones, or anything. Only faction/world story arc and a new planet of quests, that is all.

This is truly disappointing :( it will be by far the smallest "expansion" I've ever heard of.

Just to keep it fresh:

And the noose is tightening around Bioscrooges neck....

It's a CASH GRAB, people. Wake up and stop being sheep. Why is it a cash grab? Because they're asking for pre-order money on an expansion under the following terms:

1) No definite list of content

2) No hard release date

This is exactly like a car dealership taking FULL PAYMENT for car orders that have:

1) No list of specified options

2) No delivery date

A scam is a scam is a scam. How in the world can you accept payment from people (or be silly enough to pay someone) with no actual promise made on the service(s) to be delivered? It's completely unethical. You're all so willing to throw down your $10 and you don't even know what you're getting!!!

It's all about taking your money now and sometime down the road they'll give you something for it. If it sucks well too bad so sad.

--

I have been a continuous subscriber since launch (only after I tried the game in closed beta) so it's not like I don't put my money where my mouth is. I believe in supporting the games you enjoy but once again the failings of this hot mess that is EA/Bioware/SWTOR are readily and abundantly obvious.

Shame on them for thinking so little of their customers.

Because GW2 did it? When GW2 started taking pre-orders and pre-purchases, there was no guarantee of any of the content and there was no release date. In fact you couldn't even participate in the betas without doing it.

Personally, this seems to be DLC sized content and not a full blown expansion. As such, the current pricing is not an issue to me.

BJ

Fyi, you can decide not to buy the expansion until after you see what it's offering.

Again, it's a pay to win thing. Those who pay will run around w/level 55 toons. Say you run into them in a WZ somewhere. Your 50 is dead because the other guy is 5 levels above you. You can be sure they'll introduce FPs and Ops down the road that require a level 55. So you can run it with your heavily armored 50, but you'll be a drag to the group and will get killed. Enjoy.

True true the cost is not bad, but i feel a bit betrayed about what has and is happening, i mean i bought 2 accounts, one a collectors, and the other a digital deluxe, and paid for almost all months one account, and all but 1 month for my other account. I know there has been a lot changes for this game but I'm starting to think none of them are making things better. I hate to rain on the parade, and I'm trying not to add to that subject but its hard when the game still feels stale only a year after its launch.