So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

I'd buy an expansion that includes the stories the way they were at beta: will the ability to chase off/kill companions. Makeb isn't enough for me to consider, but if they threw in the old beta content with companion chasing away/killing ability? I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginning of August...shortly after F2P was announced.

I'm still waiting on the quote too because I think this is the one everyone misunderstood when he said they are still debating on what is to be free or charged for. ;)

People are confusing the "free-to-subscribers major updates every 6 weeks or so" comment made during the F2P announcement with expansions. I believed they also commented on smaller and more frequent expansions instead of large expansions every couple of years as well.

Expansions add to the game in an overall manner, such as level cap increases and new major zones (or planets in this case) while major updates add to content already in game (such as Section X and Hypergate). Subscribers didn't pay for Section X but Freepers did...just as promised.

The confusion about Malkeb seems to be in the fact that BW/EA didn't know if adding it in would be a major update or an actual expansion. Since they went with expansion (of which they have not released all of the details yet) we all get to pay. And it really isn't that much.

While I'd like to know some particulars (such as how much game time will 50 to 55 take and what besides a new planet and level cap will we get) I don't see any problem with ordering it now and finding out later. I'll pay 10 bucks just for the new levels and stuff to do.

Nope, because there isn't one. Just the one I posted earlier from an interview with Jeff Hickman making NO promises of charging or NOT charging subs for new content.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5599262#post5599262

Thank you ..so most people are b$%^&*( and moaning about something they conjured up that is completely imaginary in there minds....god what a waste of a thread.

Dont worry folks im sure it wont matter cause mayans may be right heh.

I think sometimes people need a refresher course on how commodities work.

I don't buy Bieber records. I do buy The Gossip and Devo records. I don't complain about Bieber records existing.

If the Hutt Cartel expansion doesn't blow your skirt up, no one is forcing you to buy it.

Well if you liked Justin Beiber and she released something that you particularly didn't like you'd be upset but probably buy it considering you're a fan of hers.

If you love your professional sports team. A die hard fan and they did something you disagreed with you'd probably voice your opinion. More than likely you'd still watch your team, after all it is your favorite team.

If your favorite TV show that you've been watching for years did something you disagreed with you'd probably voice your opinion as well. You'd still watch a few more episodes before you called it quits.

People voice their opinions because they care and because they like something. If they believe it's a change for the worse then they'll say so.

Feedback...

Edited by DigitalDreamz

Except that the existance of Bieber albums do not in any shape or form affect the quality or content of your Gossip or Devo album. They are completeley independant from one another.

That is not the case in this situation. Cash shops, even when they arn't P2W, have a major influence both on the ingame economy *and* (and i cannot stress this enough) on developpement/content availability.

Your analogy was bad and you should feel bad.

Edited by Stonedsoul

are you for real, a gift?

an 'expansion' that costs less than a monthly sub?

There wont even be class quests, It will be like probably 20-30 common quests and that's it.

And after you hit 55 then what? There's no new ops or fps or wz's, nothing. You go back to afk on fleet, realizing you paid 10 bucks only to play another day of dailies.

they only named 3 of the things coming out in this expansion there is most likely a lot more they are not telling us until closer to the expansion launch . Why don't we wait until they announce more about it before everyone gets there panties in a bunch.We have no idea of the size of the planet or if the story line is going to include classes and even companions.Many of you were ( me included) probably spent a lot of real money on coins to get that one item from the packs and didn't blink an eye about it . So let's try this wait and see what all the new features abilities ,WZ's (I'm betting there will be a couple scinse there will prob be a whole new lvl bracket for pvp alone) and more even are before we jump the gun. OK I'm done flame away

I think sometimes people need a refresher course on how commodities work.

I don't buy Bieber records. I do buy The Gossip and Devo records. I don't complain about Bieber records existing.

If the Hutt Cartel expansion doesn't blow your skirt up, no one is forcing you to buy it.

You're right. No one is forcing me. It will sure be lonely though playing the current 50 content whilst nearly everyone will be playing 55 content.

they only named 3 of the things coming out in this expansion there is most likely a lot more they are not telling us until closer to the expansion launch . Why don't we wait until they announce more about it before everyone gets there panties in a bunch.We have no idea of the size of the planet or if the story line is going to include classes and even companions.Many of you were ( me included) probably spent a lot of real money on coins to get that one item from the packs and didn't blink an eye about it . So let's try this wait and see what all the new features abilities ,WZ's (I'm betting there will be a couple scinse there will prob be a whole new lvl bracket for pvp alone) and more even are before we jump the gun. OK I'm done flame away

I honestly have no no idea why you think that once they have your money they will give you more than the bare minimum of what they promised. If they "promise" to give us a, b and c. I expect to get a, then b the next month and buggy as hell, and never get c at all.

You know we were promised we won't get charged for it.....

It's not about price is about principle, they keep on promising us stuff then keep on backing out, it's infuriating.

I've come to terms with this game not being the same as it was a launch... At launch the Dev's said we would get new content as part of our subscription but that was when they had like 2 million subscribers, once the player base dropped below 800k and they decided to go with F2P it became a new ballgame.... This wouldn't of been a issue if the Dev's would of been upfront about it. Instead they let subscribers think it was business as usually...

Here's the facts: The definition of subscription has changed since launch.... All it means now is that we have to pay for all additional new content but get to do Operations and Warzones for free, where as F2P have to buy weekly passes... That's pretty much the only difference between the two now. So were basically F2P players with a few perc's in the eyes of Bioware / EA.

I'll wait and see how much content this new update brings, it better bring a ton of stuff or there probably will be a lot of cancellations as it will be seen as another money grab just like the Life Day stuff was.

BW also stated the F2P'ers would be 1 action bar and Subs would get 2 action bars. They changed that too. Guess we should condemn them for those lies as well. Right?

Look, things change. I'm pretty sure that, at some point, they were going to implement Makeb as just a content patch, but things change. They went F2P, had to start releasing stuff for the Cartel Market (which I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking about doing at the get-go), and then stuff happened.

Yeah, they did call it a "non-expansion" item in an interview. But you can't say there's false advertisement unless you bought the game after that interview, believing you were getting Makeb for free once you bought the game.

Seriously, you have to get a grip here people. If it was just Makeb, then yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be an expansion. But the level increase always felt like it was part of an expansion pack and looks like they're throwing Makeb in that too. Stuff happens. Things change. I guess if you really want to split hairs you can sit here and demand Makeb for free and keep going at it, but do you expect the 5+ levels and all that other stuff to be free as well?

Edited by Lostpenguins

BW also stated the F2P'ers would be 1 action bar and Subs would get 2 action bars. They changed that too. Guess we should condemn them for those lies as well. Right?

Look, things change. I'm pretty sure that, at some point, they were going to implement Makeb as just a content patch, but things change. They went F2P, had to start releasing stuff for the Cartel Market (which I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking about doing at the get-go), and then stuff happened.

Yeah, they did call it a "non-expansion" item in an interview. But you can't say there's false advertisement unless you bought the game after that interview, believing you were getting Makeb for free once you bought the game.

Seriously, you have to get a grip here people. If it was just Makeb, then yeah, I wouldn't expect it to be an expansion. But the level increase always felt like it was part of an expansion pack and looks like they're throwing Makeb in that too. Stuff happens. Things change. I guess if you really want to split hairs you can sit here and demand Makeb for free and keep going at it, but do you expect the 5+ levels and all that other stuff to be free as well?

It's not an expansion pack. It doesn't come with Act Four, no class stories, no new race, no new class. They aren't even saying there will be new abilities. All they are saying is five levels and Access to some new planet with a bunch of faction quests. That is not an expansion. Not even a 1/3 of one which is what they are asking me to pay ON TOP of my $15/month to them.

First it's they never said it would be free.....Now it will be things have changed....... Then it will be they had to do it because of the loss of subs......Blah Blah Blah...... It will never change.

It's not an expansion pack. It doesn't come with Act Four, no class stories, no new race, no new class. They aren't even saying there will be new abilities. All they are saying is five levels and Access to some new planet with a bunch of faction quests. That is not an expansion. Not even a 1/3 of one which is what they are asking me to pay ON TOP of my $15/month to them.

6 months ago it might not have been an expansion pack. Now it very well could be BUT...

So what you're saying is you are making a snap judgement without all information needed to make a reasonable judgement at this time.

Given the digital expansion actually says, "More info to be released in the coming months."

Edited by Quraswren

You don't make a big pitch at E3 and then go 'oops, we changed our minds and are screwing over our customers instead'.

The things you listed are GOOD changes in FAVOR of the customer, which is a selling point for any game, not an 'oops, we had to change our minds'. It's a "hey, we wanted to offer some good will so we're giving you even more." The two are not comparable and that you think they are is laughable.

Still a moot point, as I believe those who believe in promises made/not made by gaming employees are wasting their time. However, this quote from the Examiner article does show where the OP's impression come from:

During June 2012, at E3, EA/Bioware employees talked about how all content updates, aside from expansions, would be free. And James Ohlen, in an interview, stated that Makeb was the biggest non-expansion SWTOR had ever released - in fact, he bragged it would be the biggest non-expansion any game had released. You can see that interview here; the discussion about Makeb starts at about the 5 minute marker.

James Ohlen brags, “It is basically the biggest non-expansion pack piece of content that, I think, any online game has ever released at one time. It is a whole planet. I never heard of that being released, um, except in something like an expansion pack. It shows how much we really care about giving our fans what they have been asking for.”

The moderator proceeds to compare Makeb to free updates given to EVE and other online games, and asks “Is it really that big?” “It’s a whole planet,” Ohlen confirms with no correction to the idea that the content would be free.

So Ohlen seems to have said Makeb would be a "non-expansion." And EA employees said all "content updates, aside from expansions" would be free. And that's how the Makeb = free impression comes about.

Now, do the promises mean anything? No. Is that particular to this game? No. Is that particular to this game company? No.

Those who believe in promises made by ANY game company should either (a) look at the past, or (b) find another hobby.

Actions speak loudest, and take less time to grasp.

You're a liar and should feel bad about lying.

ROFL!! No where in that interview with James Ohlen and TORWARS did James ever say it was going to be FREE!!! As a matter of FACT, TORWARS stated that EVE did stuff semi-free.

You sir are in denial!!! :rolleyes:

The problem is here it's a "glass half full versus half empty" argument. You are literally taking the bare minimum of what they said and see to be stating that's all their going to have to the expansion. That's fine. Then don't buy the expansion yet. Wait until you know what you're getting with it to make in informed decision.

Plus, you're wrong when you say "they aren't even saying there will be new abilities."

http://www.swtor.com/rothc?intcmp=sor_bwa-mkt-t-us-hp-013

Scroll down a bit and you'll see:

"INCREASED LEVEL CAP

Continue your Star Wars saga with a new level cap of 55! Earn new abilities, skill points, gear, and more as your character advances!"

So clearly we're getting more skill points and new abilities. Heck, the video from a long time ago even showed Assassins getting some new aoe ablity (looks like a channeled one).

So if you're going to accuse other people of being liars and/or making uninformed decisions... please follow suit.