So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

And to those who think this is going to be a big content package, think about it: the Life Day package costs $20, a set of reskinned/recolored armor costs about $10. This "expansion" costs $10 resp. $20 dollars. If we talk about just roughly equal values, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

Yeah they just announced that there would not be any class stories :( It is just an imp/repub planet series. It is hard to place value on something we don't really know much about. All the assumptions are going to be the death of people.

If it makes you feel any better, everyone knows that a $5 hamburger every day ends up costing you $140 by the end of the month. Actually, not a lot of people realize that and just say "its only $5, geez!" :rolleyes:

Let fools and their money be parted~

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know that it's a bigger xpac; you are making that assumption. From what they have announced so far it's the exact same things that we were told would be in it at E3, which means it's a non-expansion being relabeled as an expansion to get money. That is an assumption made on actual presented facts.

Now you're just playing with words. An assumption is never a trustworthy basis. As for "presented facts" I'd really like to know your sources because all I know about Makeb is that it's a new planet, that the level cap will be increased by 5 levels and that there won't be a direct continuation of the class stories.

I'm not making any assumptions whatsoever, man. However, despite the fact that neither of us actually knows what RotHC includes, you were the one who started making accusations that they shouldn't charge you for it because you were led to believe that it would be free and although, Hickman did say that they were not sure you relied on the assumptions of people who didn't really know

Now you're just playing with words. An assumption is never a trustworthy basis. As for "presented facts" I'd really like to know your sources because all I know about Makeb is that it's a new planet, that the level cap will be increased by 5 levels and that there won't be a direct continuation of the class stories.

I'm not making any assumptions whatsoever, man. However, despite the fact that neither of us actually knows what RotHC includes, you were the one who started making accusations that they shouldn't charge you for it because you were led to believe that it would be free and although, Hickman did say that they were not sure you relied on the assumptions of people who didn't really know

My source is the exact same things you just stated, because that's ALL we know, and that's exactly the same things we knew at E3 (actually, at E3 there was still hope it would continue class stories, so there's even less in this now than we had hope for back then).

And I didn't rely on any assumptions about it being free. I was AT E3 and got a very similar speech to the one that the moderator in the video being posted got (how it was going to be a huge non-expansion, and we already knew at that point that anything not an expansion pack would be free). Or are you saying James Ohlen didn't really know and was just makin stuff up at E3?

SNIP...

It doesn't matter how old the promise is, they have a track record of completely failing to meet their obligations, from launch until today. you can't blame people for being negative. they set the tone.

I will not argue with you at all that BW is indeed doing somethings wrong. Cause damn, they are. This is not one of them for now. Cause your first mistake was ever thinking they promised you anything.

He was intentionally vague about things he couldn't talk about, even said he couldn't talk about them, but was very forthcoming about it being a huge non-expansion pack, and bragging how it would shame anything else released in a non-expansion.

Just because it was said 6 months ago doesn't make it less relevant. If we go with that theory then promises made should never be kept because things are always changing. It's called bait and switch when companies do it though.

It's very irrelevant after the statement that was made is August. Sure, you can try your best to use it to prove a point but it's pretty weak and none of it was ever a "promise" Hell, even getting the planet Makeb should not have been taken as a promise. That was what was happening at the time. Clearly, it was not happening in August and is in no way happening now as far as the payment structure goes.

As blizzard and countless other companies have mentioned, this entire thread is why they rarely tell gamers anything. Even when ideas are expanded upon months later and a decision is made months after that, gamers still lose there minds when it's not what they have imagined from the original statements that have barely been relevant for 6 months now.

Since the August 2012 quotes say differently. Pretty simple that on content you have not paid for and know very little about that it could be different than originally stated as time in development passes Vastly different as more time passes and entirely different in 6 months of game development time.

Edited by Quraswren

Oh and to all the people saying 'It's only $10, jeez!' pay for my expansion. I will shut up about it forever, promise.

for a whiner like you about a measly 10$, and I don't know you, no I won't...

but if you're someone I've been playing with for a while, on my guild, and just cannot somehow fork out an extra 10$ for whatever VALID reason but STILL interested, I'll be glad to pay the 10$...

it's cheaper than the new Jedi/Darth set released today...

Edited by SumZed

I still think many of you probably purchased it or is in the brink of deciding whether or not the 5-day early access would be worth it to pre-order it. The only thing that would certainly push them over the fence with this decision is probably the information that they will release.

I can agree why some people don't want to purchase the expansion, since I wouldn't buy food unless I know what it was made of. I don't think its a pricing issue since it is very cheap.

But if you don't consider a level cap and a totally new planet as an expansion of the current content. I must have no idea what an expansion is.

My source is the exact same things you just stated, because that's ALL we know, and that's exactly the same things we knew at E3 (actually, at E3 there was still hope it would continue class stories, so there's even less in this now than we had hope for back then).

And I didn't rely on any assumptions about it being free. I was AT E3 and got a very similar speech to the one that the moderator in the video being posted got (how it was going to be a huge non-expansion, and we already knew at that point that anything not an expansion pack would be free). Or are you saying James Ohlen didn't really know and was just makin stuff up at E3?

I don't like to judge without all the information. So I'd like to hear that speech you are referring to. After all, people heard "free" when the only one who said free was the TORWARS guy.

Also, I couldn't care less about whether Ohlen knew or was making stuff up at E3. Or if Hickman knew and preferred not to say. Or if Bioware knew. Or if EA knew.

Again, however, I do not see you answering a very simple question. Seeing how the interview is from June and therefore Makeb was at its first stages of production, how is your first assumption that it's the exact same content that we heard about back then and ONLY that?

I will not argue they are doing something wrong with you at all. Cause damn, they are. This is not one of them for now. Cause your first mistake was ever thinking they promised you anything.

It's very irrelevant after the statement that was made is August. Sure, you can try your best to use it to prove a point but it's pretty weak and none of it was ever a "promise" Hell, even getting the planet Makeb should not have been taken as a promise. .

Company rep starts marketing campaign at trade conference... should not be taken literally or serisouly in any way shape or form.

Ok. Lol.

If I got up at a trade show as a spokesman for my company and said "this product cycle will include this entire new laundry list of functions included in the 1.1 model under current system support contracts" and then later say "NEVER MIND IT'S A WHOLE NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT CYCLE YOU'LL NEED TO PAY MONEY FOR IT"

You can bet my clients would be a tad bit peeved. I'd even expect to lose a few of them over it, especially when my competition DOES offer those features with no additional charge...

I still think many of you probably purchased it or is in the brink of deciding whether or not the 5-day early access would be worth it to pre-order it. The only thing that would certainly push them over the fence with this decision is probably the information that they will release.

I can agree why some people don't want to purchase the expansion, since I wouldn't buy food unless I know what it was made of. I don't think its a pricing issue since it is very cheap.

But if you don't consider a level cap and a totally new planet as an expansion of the current content. I must have no idea what an expansion is.

Except when they have previous stated this was a content update.:eek:

Honestly. If you think a new planet with five levels is worth paying for, then by all means go do it. Please just hear me out first. You are doing all players a disservice by pre-paying for so little promised content.

I will respond to a few of your knee-jerk defenses:

a. "but...but...it's sooo little money"

First, you are already paying a monthly fee. Would you have paid $10 to get 'section x/HK'? That's essentially what is happening here. Can't you see that they're trying to make us all F2P players who pay for new content? Yes it is the cheapest MMO expansion ever. It is also the most lackluster expansion ever. We don't know any of the details. Which brings me to the next knee jerk defense....

b. "they said they'd tell me more in the coming months"

This doesn't mean that you'll learn about any new content in the coming months. They have told you that you are getting a planet and five levels. If you pay for that now, what incentive do they have to put more content in? They already have your money! If every subscriber kicked in ten dollars today, they wouldn't throw in a new operation and 3 flashpoint and a new warzone out of the kindness of their heart. By paying upfront for a vague promise of content you are removing all leverage the consumer has.

Make them commit to a new operation. Make them commit to new gear progression. Make them commit to new flashpoints. Make them commit to advancement of the class story line. Stop throwing away money on fluff. You make us all look bad.

Company rep starts marketing campaign at trade conference... should not be taken literally or serisouly in any way shape or form.

Ok. Lol.

If I got up at a trade show as a spokesman for my company and said "this product cycle will include this entire new laundry list of functions included in the 1.1 model under current system support contracts" and then later say "NEVER MIND IT'S A WHOLE NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT CYCLE YOU'LL NEED TO PAY MONEY FOR IT"

You can bet my clients would be a tad bit peeved. I'd even expect to lose a few of them over it, especially when my competition DOES offer those features with no additional charge...

I think we'd make more progress talking to a brick wall.

People don't seem to understand what trade shows are actually for and think 'things change' is a defense for it. Or they do and they're being intentionally obtuse.

I'm betting on the latter.

Edited by Prettyevilish

I strongly support this thread.

Make them commit to a new operation. Make them commit to new gear progression. Make them commit to new flashpoints. Make them commit to advancement of the class story line. Stop throwing away money on fluff. You make us all look bad.

Get a job.

This isn't about the money, it's about the direction this is going. This was planned to be free to subs. It's not enough content to pay for, this (and the p2w ship gear and money grab christmas stuff) is just a preview of the future.

Can't wait to pay $10 for the cather race though

and $20 for the Secret space project

and $15 for guild ships

and $35 for yet another planet with no class/companion story

and $10 for another recolored human

Ok. Lol.

Hell no you shouldn't. I learned that by going to Blizzcon. Large parts cataclysm that were presented never happened or were totally different come actual play time.

I've learned over teh years to take what they show with a grain of salt till info comes available and the game has gone gold.

Except in this case, BW cleared up the wrod play in August with they are not sure of there plan. Now you are sure and you still don't have to get the product yet as it's still months away.

If you want the perk and trust BW enough to fork over some cash then by all means go ahead but don't act like you have to or that the product was ever promised to you a specific way and that it could never be adjusted.

Edited by Quraswren

Go compare it to WoW. I know most people don't like doing that, but they are the industry leader and what they do sets the standard. Look at the last three expansions.

Multiple new flashpoints, new raids, new gear tiers, new battlegrounds new class, new race, multiple new zones, days worth of new quest content, new story ,level cap, abilities, ui and system functions, pets, mounts, events.

We get 1/10th of that for 1/3 the cost. It's not a very good comparison. Look at rift, LotRO, etc. This "expansion" comes nowhere near the industry standard and they flat out said "it's not an expansion it's a patch" months ago, and now it comes with EVEN LESS content than they said back when it was just a patch.

Here's a bit of real logic for you. A level cap increase may be a NECESSARY condition for something to qualify as an expansion, but it is not a NECESSARY AND SUFFICIENT condition.

Honestly. Level cap is all I wanted anyway. I don't even care bout anything else. So I look at what little or more else (however you look at it) that's coming with it is a bonus for me! I would have paid 20$ just for a level cap increase.

Thank you for your financial advice, random guy from the forum. I will do as you say.

Also lol at "commit". Can't they commit to something and then change their minds about it? Or am I going to make them sign a contract?

Yes, yes they can. Another reason not to pre order