Worth returning?

LordPorkins

Hi

I stopped playing SWTOR because I found the gameplay repetitive, the same things taking place on different planets, and the PvP, which is my favourite part of MMOs, was just endless Huttball games.

I do love the Star Wars universe, and I heard that the PvP was going to be significantly improved with world PvP on the cards.

What's the general state of the game? Is it worth returning?

i haven't renewed my subscription, it is simply running down,and like many people, time is a precious commodity for me. I am not trying to stir up anything, I haven't been back on SWTOR because the game didn't pull me. But it has been a few months now, I was wondering if anything has changed.

Again, like the person said before you, you should check it out yourself. You shouldn't let other people tell you because half of them will be blinded by their own opinions, or will otherwise have differing tastes to you, meaning whilst they like/dislike something you may not. So all in all, check it for yourself, form your own opinion.

Endless Huttball matches sounds like a dream to me, so I won't give my opinion since we're obviously not on the same page.

I´m baffled that after one year it was absolutely not possible to build a couple of alternate Huttball maps with the same mechanics.

A modding community for any average FPS is able to pump out 5 maps per month

Fundamentally, this game is the same as when you left.

Maybe you can enjoy it again for a bit since you took some time off but nothing has changed so much as to say that you wont grow bored of the repeatition.

Not sure where you heard World PvP is on the horizon, i hear rumors from time to time but nothing concrete as of yet. I think the only real addition coming is the online store, so you can buy adaptive gear and shineys, most of the adaptive gear is stuff that is already in game but now you can wear it for any class.

If you already own the game, pay for a 1 month sub and try it out again. I would say F2P option is coming but that will limit everything from toolbars to hiding head slot and so much more, that frankly it may drive you away and we dont want that.

It will be worth the 15 bucks to just play a regular sub for a month.

Endless Huttball matches sounds like a dream to me, so I won't give my opinion since we're obviously not on the same page.

I would give a kidney for endless Huttball matches.

Seeing as I only like Huttball and Voidstar.

I don't have much time either to play with my work schedule. But i keep a 6 month recurring sub going because when i do get enough time to tuck into a long session or sneek in 30 minutes at work on lunch..i really enjoy myself and IMO i think the 77 bucks for 6 months sub is dirt cheap $$ VS entertainment value for me. My cable company charges me 10% of that at $7.99 for an HD movie to rent and that only lasts 2 hours.

Its still a great game and I know a lot of people that havent played it in a few months really notice changes when it comes to bugfixes and smaller features. I think a great deal of people over played this game, casual is the way to go for me :)

Try it for a month and decide :)

Edited by andreas_barth

It hasn't changed since you left. I just recently came back too, and while I'm enjoying it immensely, it plays exactly the same as it did 8 months ago, maybe just a little smoother (and potentially now with hi-res graphics depending on how long ago you quit). Edited by VicSkimmr

Hi

I stopped playing SWTOR because I found the gameplay repetitive, the same things taking place on different planets, and the PvP, which is my favourite part of MMOs, was just endless Huttball games.

I do love the Star Wars universe, and I heard that the PvP was going to be significantly improved with world PvP on the cards.

I don't get it. You stopped playing cause it wasn't appealing enough to you, but then of all people you ask those who kept playing the game? And this although you apparently still have an account? Resuming, instead of checking it yourself you ask the wrong people and are prepared to rely on their opinion only to save 1 hour or two? That's wierd!

Meh...not enough has changed in the past 6-months that makes me feel you'd be happy this time around.

But, as has been suggested, you have an active sub...update and try it out for a day. You have nothing to lose...except time, which I know is short...but still.

I don't get it. You stopped playing cause it wasn't appealing enough to you, but then of all people you ask those who kept playing the game? And this although you apparently still have an account? Resuming, instead of checking it yourself you ask the wrong people and are prepared to rely on their opinion only to save 1 hour or two? That's wierd!

It's the purpose of a forum. There has been responses with personal views given and reasonings behind them, with a couple of facts also thrown out there. It is a safe bet the OP will login to check things out even if he did ask us our thoughts on what is changed and what hasn't. Not trying to roll on you , just taking the thread for what it is and giving my take.

To the OP, the biggest change you will notice is the server mergers. It has helped with having a healthier population on most remaining servers. The group finder that was implemented helps with this as well, but is still buggy. Couple of new things like TFB to try out- so that should keep you interested for a little while at least. Downside, there are still annoying bugs from logging in to gameplay and rewards for misions.

My opinion, give it a try- because for all the faults in the game- there really aren't that many alternatives out there excepting maybe TSW and D3 , or brushing off some of your toons on older games. This is Star Wars- so that has to be a plus, right?

Hi

Not sure when you quit but the last patch added a new Operation among other little things. There was a new warzone added awhile back so since you didn't say when you quit not sure if this was there then or not. Also a new 5 man and LFG system came into place. So if this was all here when you quit up to the newest patch then nothing a whole has changed content wise, but lots of little things have been added/fixed.

World pvp still nothing updated. So if you are playing this game for the pvp and you didn't like the warzones then you probably still won't like it but for me I think the pvp is still better than Tera and GW2 and those are pvp based games whereas ToR is pve based.

Like others said though, just try it and see. Overall there is no huge difference between this and all the other mmo's out there. If you think this is repetitive, then try GW2 which is extremely repetitive and has tons less content and boring.

Also, F2P is coming up quick. If you have a subscription you can later downgrade to a premium F2P account, which isn't as restrictive at the base F2P account type. There are still limitations, but those limitations are a good match for a lot of players based on their priorities for their gameplaying experience. Can't give you many details- but the charts and breakdowns are on this site. I've only looked at the charts only a few times, enough to realize I as an altoholic will be better satisfied staying subbed. There is also going to be a cartel store, you should have a few coins to spend on armour, crystals, etc. Dulfy has a full list of all that on her website, or check it out under the name Iwipe here in the forums. Edited by amaresch

Gameplay didn't change, if by 'same things on different planets' you mean questing.

World pvp wasn't touched since Ilum was deactivated. You could consider that new companion quest line could bring some pvp to outlaws den, but I doubt it'll be significant amount. Few months ago they mentioned few words about aiming at January with reactivation of Ilum.

Endless hutball matches were mostly due to faction imbalance and fact that hutball was only wz that allowed same faction pvp, here it changed for better with factions being mostly balanced on most servers, and all WZ avaible for same faction matches.

Also, if you're considering it as "should I stay subbed in next 6-months peroid", there is supposed to be new warzone in around 2 months(or more offcially, "definitely before the year's end").

Make what you want out of it.

Edited by Elear

I´m baffled that after one year it was absolutely not possible to build a couple of alternate Huttball maps with the same mechanics.

A modding community for any average FPS is able to pump out 5 maps per month

I definitely agree that we need to have more huttball venues.

Huttball is a modified capture the flag game and it got stale playing it over and over and over again in the same setting when the game came out. The rules for the game however are awesome.

This also hurt them with PVPers since there was such an imp vs republic imbalance at the beginning.

Since you have an active subscription, I'm guessing that the answer is "no"--wait a bit.

Basically, if you've gotten tired of the game, not enough has changed in the past month to make it suddenly worth looking into again.

When 1.5 is released, later this month, we know for certain that there'll be a new daily area, a new world boss, and a new companion. But we also know that it'll go F2P shortly thereafter, and as far as we know, the Cartel tokens you'll receive for having been a subscriber will be enough to get some of the vanity items, and the unlocks needed to equip any new items you might get.

There'll be a lot of new stuff coming in the next 3-6 months, but if you're worn out with it today, save it all for later :D

Not sure where you heard World PvP is on the horizon, i hear rumors from time to time but nothing concrete as of yet.

There is an interview with Gabe Amantangelo stating they're re-releasing Ilum with a world event sometime in January. It's not entirely concrete, but a bit more than a rumor.

And to the OP - I say come try the game again when they release the next content expansion that they're working on.

Edited by chuixupu

Hi

you will have to come back and see for yourself. but if you are a world pvper nothing has improved. as long as there are inherent lag issues i cant see how world pvp will ever be successfully implemented in this game. perhaps it is the game engine issue. if so then it might be better for them to spend resources on other items that work like new maps, war zones, or pve rather than spin their wheels on something that never will and most don't care about.