Disney to aquire Lucasfilm!

Etapi

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope Disney doesn't kill the lore and sticks to canon.

LOL that's going to be a mess. You thought JarJar was bad? Wait until we get Tinkerbell and Wall-E inserted into Star Wars. And I'm sure they'll add Leia and Padme to their 'Princess' collection.

The only winner here is Lucas, who is laughing all the way to the bank.

Oh, and wait until they start the 'Vault' BS with the Star Wars films. You'll only be able to buy them once every 10 years or so.

Edited by Valethar

You do realize that the LucasArts logo down at the bottom is technically now "Disney". Disney got everything associated with LucasFilm.

Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

I just felt a tremor in the FORCE, Like 4.5 billion people just crying out. Expect some changes to happen around here. :eek:

So now this is a Bioware, Disney, EA game!

Edited by Raideag

My money is on that they will completely ignore it and start the EU over to build their own mythos around it.

I agree. I haven't really read any of the EU except from Wookipedia, but from what I have read it's worse than Episodes 1-3. I'd love a large reset button myself.

They haven't screwed over any other Pre-established Lore of any other thing they've done like the Marvel Film Series.

Precisely. They borrow movie-friendly concepts from the source material (usually multiple arcs at once) and meld them quite elegantly into a very apt narrative. It's not Shakespeare, but it serves the material well. Hopefully they apply a similar tactic to picking a story for the next trilogy.

That being said... I never found Thrawn to be all that engaging. I hope he has a role, but it certainly shouldn't be a central one.

I agree. I haven't really read any of the EU except from Wookipedia, but from what I have read it's worse than Episodes 1-3. I'd love a large reset button myself.

the thrawn trilogy is after episode 6 and is considered one of the best EU novels to read a great fear as its right after ROTJ is it will be made Ncannon.

Check it out yourself, it is all over the web now.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/10/30/mickey-meet-yoda-disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05-billion/

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=BW&Date=20121030&ID=15733752&industry=IND_MEDIA&isub=

I am sure I could easily find a few more links to satisfy your need for a more reliable news source.

A complaint about Yahoo!'s reliability and you bring out MSN? Seriously Microsoft is too greedy to tell the truth. At least Forbes is a decent Business News source.

You guys realize this is not the end of the world. LucasArts did not have the funds to do another movie after SWTOR and at this point it is going to be like when Disney bought out Pixar and they will own the company but they will also have input but not complete control so it will not turn into dancing with the mystery of the stolen banthas mixed in.

I thought there might be threads there, but I'm asking about if it will have any effect on this game, nothing about the movies. So i reckon here is the best place :-) (hopefully)

After all, a large part of pricing depends on Lucas Arts license fee. This could mean nothing to big changes or even other SW MMOs

Edited by Vauhee

Let's be fair, the majority of the EU is full of crap. There are a few good stories floating around, but most of it really isn't worth trying to save.

Besides, even if a new movie came out that totally contradicted something in the EU, it's not like the EU story is suddenly worthless, it just means it doesn't strictly fit in with canon anymore. Big deal.

Old Sith Wars era novels/games/comics>Absolutely anything to do with the movies.

Well, the prequels, anyway. I'd take the Vong over those any day... and I bloody hate the Vong. Also, I think a lot of people that dug into the EU material have such an investment in the setting and characters simply because of the length of the narrative. That kind of story isn't possible in a movie, and I can guarantee quite a few people are going to be enraged because they don't realize that certain aspects of their most beloved novel don't translate well to the big screen.

If they do overhaul the EU, they better be prepared for A LOT of pissed off fans.

The number of people who really like the EU is a small percentage of the total Star Wars fan base.

Look at the sales the Star Wars books at best sell at the 100k level. There are hundreds of millions of Star Wars fans world wide.

So pissing off a few 100k is nothing compared to the millions it will make. Remember the Star Trek remake? It pissed off all the Star Trek hardcore fans but its the most successful Star Trek film.

Same when they bought Marvel. It pissed a lot of Marvel fans but now they created a billion dollar movie franchise from it. Which of course is the entire reason they did this.

My friend is actually writing his thesis paper on Shared universes and trans media franchises. So this is right up his ally.

They might use part of the Thrawn trilogy as the first movie but I don't see them following exactly.

I mean they could do it using computer to make the cast look younger. HOwever more likely they will just create a new story that takes place 30-40 years after the last movie. That way the cast will look older.